Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Painting cable restraints [Re: UPoldman] #6457185
02/10/19 06:10 PM
02/10/19 06:10 PM
SW Gawga
S
songdog man Offline
trapper
songdog man  Offline
trapper
S

SW Gawga
I'm gonna spray paint my snares camo for beaver. Never have but I'm gonna try it.

Re: Painting cable restraints [Re: UPoldman] #6457459
02/10/19 09:51 PM
02/10/19 09:51 PM
Barron Couny, WI
John Deere Steve Offline
trapper
John Deere Steve  Offline
trapper

Barron Couny, WI
I paint all my restraints and supports. Normally I do this at least a couple months in advance but did paint several this year a week before setting them and still had great results. Many of them where well blended in to good spots whick I think has more to do with refusals than scent does. If they are well blended I have very few refusals. But what works for one guy doesn't always seem to work for others. To each their own.

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
Re: Painting cable restraints [Re: UPoldman] #6458871
02/12/19 09:07 AM
02/12/19 09:07 AM
MT (Big Sky Country)
A
Allan Minear Offline
trapper
Allan Minear  Offline
trapper
A

MT (Big Sky Country)
Why paint snare supports or kill poles anyway ? Think about it folks unless your trapping in the middle of Alaska or some other places like that every target animal has seen a fence or walked past some barbed wire laying in the grass so it's no big deal, keep it simple and fast and effective I use snares with kill springs the majority of the time because I want a quick and humane kill on my target animal without packing a bunch of extra unnecessary things into the area I'll be snaring.
I also boil my snares in baking soda I've also gone as far as to add juniper berries and leaves or even some sage brush to the boil pot because it's common where I set the snares and a natural odor, spray paint isn't .
So why not add what ever is common to your area for brush and collect it while scouting the area before you set the snares ?
If boiling snares is good enough for my good friend Keith Gregerson who has caught more animals in snares than most people it's good enough for me and he's done it without kill poles imagine that.

Re: Painting cable restraints [Re: Allan Minear] #6458967
02/12/19 10:17 AM
02/12/19 10:17 AM
Alberta
H
H380 Offline
trapper
H380  Offline
trapper
H

Alberta
Originally Posted by Allan Minear
Why paint snare supports or kill poles anyway ? Think about it folks unless your trapping in the middle of Alaska or some other places like that every target animal has seen a fence or walked past some barbed wire laying in the grass so it's no big deal, keep it simple and fast and effective I use snares with kill springs the majority of the time because I want a quick and humane kill on my target animal without packing a bunch of extra unnecessary things into the area I'll be snaring.
I also boil my snares in baking soda I've also gone as far as to add juniper berries and leaves or even some sage brush to the boil pot because it's common where I set the snares and a natural odor, spray paint isn't .
So why not add what ever is common to your area for brush and collect it while scouting the area before you set the snares ?
If boiling snares is good enough for my good friend Keith Gregerson who has caught more animals in snares than most people it's good enough for me and he's done it without kill poles imagine that.

This ^^^^.. Ive done the same thing when I need snares or extensions in short order , no smell but I still prefer to paint for a camo effect if I have time to let them air out like over the summer .

Re: Painting cable restraints [Re: Allan Minear] #6459448
02/12/19 06:35 PM
02/12/19 06:35 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
Originally Posted by Allan Minear

Keeps them getting rusty. Extends their lives. Keeps my gloves cleaner.

You do it your way, I'll do it the right way. LOL

Re: Painting cable restraints [Re: UPoldman] #6459726
02/12/19 10:13 PM
02/12/19 10:13 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
I guess I've been away too long

Page 2 of 2 1 2