ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
How much for those moles? #6615341
09/12/19 04:10 PM
09/12/19 04:10 PM
OK
B
barking waters Offline OP
trapper
barking waters  Offline OP
trapper
B

OK
I know how to charge for beaver and coyote and it seems to work well for my area. But I am just getting into the mole and gophers and I do not believe charging per head is going to work out. I know no one can give me an exact dollar amount on what I should charge. But I am more wondering about how you charge. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: How much for those moles? [Re: barking waters] #6615359
09/12/19 04:46 PM
09/12/19 04:46 PM
Lemars, Iowa
N
NWTrapper85 Offline
trapper
NWTrapper85  Offline
trapper
N

Lemars, Iowa
Search Mole pricing in ADC forum. Been covered many times over.

Re: How much for those moles? [Re: barking waters] #6615446
09/12/19 07:01 PM
09/12/19 07:01 PM
Woodhull, Illinois 77
J
Jim Bethell Offline
trapper
Jim Bethell  Offline
trapper
J

Woodhull, Illinois 77
Takes just as much time and miles to trap moles as anything else. Price accordingly

Re: How much for those moles? [Re: barking waters] #6615479
09/12/19 07:33 PM
09/12/19 07:33 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
I always figured that however many moles there were, they were fairly concentrated, and not mobile like other varmints, so they were a little easier than trying to trap a skunk/coon or ?. I always figured travel time, and a daily check time, on like a flat rate charge. If somebody else had been there and left a couple, they can be a real bear to catch, and you gotta charge for that. Beware the old geezer that want's to "Help".

Last edited by BigBob; 09/12/19 07:34 PM.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: How much for those moles? [Re: barking waters] #6615700
09/12/19 11:47 PM
09/12/19 11:47 PM
Eastern Iowa
Joe Taylor Offline
trapper
Joe Taylor  Offline
trapper

Eastern Iowa
Keep in mind that the advice given in this forum may differ in part because there are two common species of moles trapped in the US. The most widespread species is the eastern mole, which is easily distinguished by its bare, pinkish tail. The Brewer’s mole, also called the hairy-tailed mole, is distinguished by its...well....hairy tail. The number of eastern moles per yard is typically way fewer than the Brewer’s. It’s pretty common to see as low as 1-4 easterns in a yard, while I’ve heard stories of 20’s and 30’s of the hairy-tailed in yard after yard. I expect the pricing structure would differ considerably. Barking Waters, the species in Oklahoma is supposedly only the eastern mole (same as where I live), but its best to confirm that.

Others have provided good guidance on what factors to consider when setting a pricing system. I’ll add another factor: Some mole trapping jobs will be incredibly easy and you’ll set traps and clear the yard with minimal effort, while others will be difficult. Don’t underprice the easy jobs. Charge so that you are well compensated. This is not greed, this is having a smart business mindset. You will have some jobs that are a royal pain, and you’ll need some of the earnings from the easy jobs to cover the tough ones.

Also, you are not trapping for the fur price. You are trapping to provide the service of resolving someone’s problem. What is the value to the customer to not wake up each day, look out the window, and see new random mounds of dirt appearing? Many feel powerless to do something, and they reach out to you. You can solve their problem. The solution to that problem takes a skill set that few people possess. The ability to deliver on the solution is valuable. Such a solution should command a premium based upon your ability to deliver results.

One last thought: I mentioned 1-4 eastern’s per yard, which is a good generalization. I have some yards where I net over 20 eastern’s per season. I sometimes provide a discount when it is high volume, but I do not automatically do this. I take time to talk with and get to know my customers. I listen to their comments about the trapping numbers and pay attention to their non-verbal cues. This clues me in to how much they value the results versus the tallied cost. Some are ecstatic to pay full price per mole to have their yard kept clear. With others I can see the strain. I don’t want to lose a customer, so I might decide to bring it up in conversation that we’re catching large numbers this year, and that I’d like to reduce the per mole fee at some particular point. Reading the customer just seems to me to be a good business practice.

Hey, good luck with all of this. Keep asking the questions.

Joe Taylor
Paw Control Wildlife Solutions | pawcontrol.com
Re: How much for those moles? [Re: barking waters] #6615780
09/13/19 08:02 AM
09/13/19 08:02 AM
PA
M
marathonman Offline
trapper
marathonman  Offline
trapper
M

PA
I would think you have to charge per visit..Time,fuel,wear and tear[vehicle] no matter what animal.Having said that though that means sometimes multiple animals at one visit.If your customer understands per visit charging it is the way to go as long as it is enough to cover your cost and still profit.

Re: How much for those moles? [Re: barking waters] #6615795
09/13/19 08:22 AM
09/13/19 08:22 AM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
Do not forget to charge millage. I charge round trip from my home for every customer. I only spite the cost IF the new customer is right next door. It get to confusing for the customer if you have more than one charge for millage on you invoice. Also the job may end at different times. Do not give out a estimate for over ten day. Moles and do a lot of damage in ten day, so your work load may be much different in a short time. JMO

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: How much for those moles? [Re: barking waters] #6621921
09/21/19 12:17 PM
09/21/19 12:17 PM
Central IA
TRapper Offline
trapper
TRapper  Offline
trapper

Central IA
Go to my website to find my charges... I stay the same for everyone. www.callthemoletrapper.com

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread