Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Reluring sets [Re: plainstrapping25] #6668194
11/17/19 01:31 PM
11/17/19 01:31 PM
montana
R
red mt Offline
trapper
red mt  Offline
trapper
R

montana
I was reading a thread the other day ,guys were saying one reason a coyote just walked by is a set is to hot, to much lure, and so on the list mounted lol.
I do not buy into any of it to much lure thing ,,, guys that use lure on a cue tip pencil eraser imo are missing the boat..
Some coyotes on that day will pass it by to go down the line a mile if on there travel way to get caught in a set by a small he likes that day.
No different than you going to the fridge looking for something you want.
To think the same one lure or bait is going catch everything in one pass imo is a mistake.
They will catch most coyotes if do not miss at the pattern or some other reason sooner or later but how long will it take is question to be considered .

Kenneth schoening
Re: Reluring sets [Re: plainstrapping25] #6668318
11/17/19 05:01 PM
11/17/19 05:01 PM
Houghton Lake, MI
strike2x Offline
trapper
strike2x  Offline
trapper

Houghton Lake, MI
Thanks for the response Mark. I have talked to you, bought from you, watched your videos and read almost every post I see with your name on it. I know you are a good guy. I could only hope to be as good a person as you.

Wish I had more time to trap....
Re: Reluring sets [Re: strike2x] #6669328
11/18/19 08:01 PM
11/18/19 08:01 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by strike2x
Thanks for the response Mark. I have talked to you, bought from you, watched your videos and read almost every post I see with your name on it. I know you are a good guy. I could only hope to be as good a person as you.

strike2x, Gosh I'm just a trapper who enjoys trapping. Thanks for the kind words. I wish you fine weather and a great season there in our old home state!
red mt, you make a good point. Who among us is good enough to "know" why we missed a coyote. Sure, experience and the CSI clues left behind may steer you towards a pretty good answer, but in my 40 years trapping coyotes, I've never told anyone, anywhere exactly why I missed that dog. I'm prolly close to knowing some times and sometimes I move on.

Predator Trapping has made me a better CSI "crime scene" analyzer. I set today for a coyote (one) that needs to be culled from 640 acres under fence (high fenced) and he'll be the most pressured coyote I may have ever caught if I get him. Game on! Love it! Weather is sweet finally and we are setting leg holds, in a sneaky sneaky manner with my thinking cap on. I'm the 8th trapper hired to get this dog in 2+ years. I found a couple tracks today, nothing crazy good, but 12 leg holds and 3 snares later.... game on.

Wishing all y'all good catching!
Mark

Re: Reluring sets [Re: plainstrapping25] #6669703
11/19/19 09:03 AM
11/19/19 09:03 AM
Northern Illinois
MuddyMike Offline
trapper
MuddyMike  Offline
trapper

Northern Illinois
good luck mark that says something about how good you are when your the 8th on that ranch to catch one dog that nobody else can. i hope you school that ol dog.

Re: Reluring sets [Re: plainstrapping25] #6669772
11/19/19 10:11 AM
11/19/19 10:11 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Personally the amount of lure I have learned to use is primarily dependent any more on how much trapping pressure is going on around me and animal populations. Their general acceptance behavior and their response to trap set ups you will find that out after a few checks.

Frequent visitations due to good populations is easy trapping for a seasoned trapper. Move to less populated animal areas with frequent trapper pressure is a more difficult scenario. You will be forced to make changes in sets and lure/bait procedures to continue your success in catches. I have trapped them all. I like the hot and cold approach at a group set up. Good strong stink and some very nice soft and appealing subtle smells near by.

As a general observation I believe most trappers use too much lure at a set. There will be circumstances you will learn this if you are seasoned enough to read and understand the sign that is left for you to figure out. Or just plain avoidance and nothing to go by if there is no snow, pasture like conditions or soft soil to leave much sign.

The physical visual characteristics of the set play a big role in what those animals may have seen over their travels as well. Some have learned to be cautious and suspect of that look and that odd odor all in one place once again.

Lots of things to consider. I have found it is a good practice to mix up the lure and baits in combination in pressure areas and to vary the amounts that I use as well. It is not something you learn quickly it is a learned experience that teaches you to be subtle when you need to or the situation is telling you it is the best approach with a different type of set and very little odor for support.

Sometimes no odor is the best choice. Trail or blind sets if they fit the area may be the answer at times.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91