Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: More info on coyote urine [Re: Yes sir] #6717166
01/05/20 08:12 AM
01/05/20 08:12 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
I've often wondered if urine isn't the catch all when it comes to coyotes. I can't recall every seeing a dog run by where another dog had urinated without at least trying to lift his leg. I have seen coyotes walk straight on by lure or bait for whatever reason. I know there's people that catch plenty of animals without urine but it's one thing for me that has to be there and it has to be quality. The more I trap the more I move away from synthetics or man made things. The more I go back towards natural baits, urine, etc. I know they all hold some attraction to some degree but I've seen plenty of times where animals get their fill early with those strong lures that everyone desperately wants down their holes or on their flat sets. My favorite is watching guys open lures full of skunk and go "now that's some good stuff really burns your nose." If it's burning your nose....well anyone with google can tell how much better a coyote can smell. Anyways back to the shadows...

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Re: More info on coyote urine [Re: Yes sir] #6717175
01/05/20 08:13 AM
01/05/20 08:13 AM
NY
V
VH60 Offline
trapper
VH60  Offline
trapper
V

NY
My take on this post is that it has zero to do with the set itself / trap placement/missing the coyote etc . It has to do with the response to a high quality urine . Good info .

Re: More info on coyote urine [Re: Yes sir] #6717195
01/05/20 08:39 AM
01/05/20 08:39 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I've often wondered if urine isn't the catch all when it comes to coyotes. I can't recall every seeing a dog run by where another dog had urinated without at least trying to lift his leg. I have seen coyotes walk straight on by lure or bait for whatever reason. I know there's people that catch plenty of animals without urine but it's one thing for me that has to be there and it has to be quality. The more I trap the more I move away from synthetics or man made things. The more I go back towards natural baits, urine, etc. I know they all hold some attraction to some degree but I've seen plenty of times where animals get their fill early with those strong lures that everyone desperately wants down their holes or on their flat sets. My favorite is watching guys open lures full of skunk and go "now that's some good stuff really burns your nose." If it's burning your nose....well anyone with google can tell how much better a coyote can smell. Anyways back to the shadows...

yep

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: More info on coyote urine [Re: Yes sir] #6717199
01/05/20 08:47 AM
01/05/20 08:47 AM
Oklahoma
M
Matt28 Offline
trapper
Matt28  Offline
trapper
M

Oklahoma
I am surprised it dug at the urine. I would have figured it would try to mark the hole with the urine not dig. I may try this and see if the coyotes here will dig at the urine. Most will just remark the spot here. Same as a dog. I only get a digging response if they want to role on it or eat it.

Re: More info on coyote urine [Re: Backbreaker] #6717447
01/05/20 01:29 PM
01/05/20 01:29 PM
Indiana
B
Backbreaker Offline
trapper
Backbreaker  Offline
trapper
B

Indiana
Originally Posted by Backbreaker
Originally Posted by Yes sir
[Linked Image]
Here's a recent pic of a 3 hole set that a coyote worked but stayed out of trap. The hole that got dug the most had real coyote pee down it , the other two a different proven lure down each one. It's just one coyote's reaction but it's still information to consider. And it wasnt urine bought from dealer.

Where can I get urine besides bladders?

The thread itself is on coyote urine. I think there are a lot of people on here that lack the reading comprehension skills to carry on a conversation. Every time I post a thread, someone comments on something else. The set is neat, coyote urine the topic. Critique your own sets. I had a miss this morning. Tromped all over it. Not caught. Happens. I've even had sprung traps! Yes sir a trapper in my book.

Re: More info on coyote urine [Re: Yes sir] #6717482
01/05/20 02:03 PM
01/05/20 02:03 PM
Central MN
MNCedar Offline
trapper
MNCedar  Offline
trapper

Central MN
The fact that a particular coyote had a stronger reaction to bladder urine opposed to some random lures is not shocking.

In fact, I would certainly hope bladder urine would get a more interested response. I also have learned more from conversations that riff than any others.

I understood the poster's intention of a discussion on urine reaction, I added my opinion on how that reaction would have helped catch that coyote. In my opinion a lot of struggling trappers would benefit from moving away from lures, and this post is a great example of why I feel that way.

(The following sentence is relevant to a post on urine and lure reactions) Put me in a Bath and Bodyworks store smelling lotions, and I might like some...I might not like others....I might start to wonder why I'm smelling lotion and probably just walk away. Now if you put a nicely grilled porterhouse in front of me I know exactly what I will do next.

Re: More info on coyote urine [Re: Yes sir] #6717503
01/05/20 02:22 PM
01/05/20 02:22 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline OP
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline OP
Y

Marion Kansas
Just for clarity it was collected urine used and not bladder urine. Dont know if it makes a difference but thought I'd clarify.

Re: More info on coyote urine [Re: Yes sir] #6717519
01/05/20 02:35 PM
01/05/20 02:35 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Well I didn’t see anyone ask outright so I will...where can one BUY pure coyote urine?

Re: More info on coyote urine [Re: Yes sir] #6717526
01/05/20 02:47 PM
01/05/20 02:47 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline OP
Yes sir  Offline OP
Y

Marion Kansas
I believe Wayne Derrick collects the stuff he sells himself but have never bought from him. I've heard of a couple of other guys that collect it themselves for resale but dont have contact information for them but maybe someone else could provide it for you.

Re: More info on coyote urine [Re: Yes sir] #6717579
01/05/20 04:15 PM
01/05/20 04:15 PM
GA
C
canebrake Offline
trapper
canebrake  Offline
trapper
C

GA
What is the difference between "collected" urine and "bladder" urine? I'm assuming "collected" means blended from several different coyotes?

Re: More info on coyote urine [Re: Yes sir] #6717612
01/05/20 05:07 PM
01/05/20 05:07 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline OP
Yes sir  Offline OP
Y

Marion Kansas
When I say collected I mean from an animal put in a pen made to catch its pee as it urinates.

Re: More info on coyote urine [Re: Wanna Be] #6718165
01/06/20 01:55 AM
01/06/20 01:55 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Well I didn’t see anyone ask outright so I will...where can one BUY pure coyote urine?

The list is small in large scale urine production I'm sure there's a number of small urine producers that have a coyote or two they pen themselves which isn't legal in all states. The best I've ever had came from Indiana and rides across the country along I-80 in 5 gallon home depot buckets at a time. That's the only way it's sold or shipped. Some buckets make their way to some of the nationals FTA for sure I believe. $250 investment that would be well worth your money if you want it. You can PM me if you'd like his name isn't allowed on trapperman.

John Graham has also mentioned he buys only penned coyote urine...he also has commented he bought from one of the last true bobcat urine producers before they stopped selling urine. If I was looking for true cat urine I would start there. I think I will be picking up some cat urine from him before too long just to stock pile it.

I've been watching Lesel Reussatt (sp) he seems to have acquired some live animals including coyotes, fox, and bobcats and seems to be trying to put out quality urine. I haven't been to a convention in a couple years but I'd be curious to see what his looks like.

There used to be a Ryanvo floating around the various forums that had quality urine. I haven't seen or heard from him in a couple years.

I would find someone you know that has a pen raised animal and get a little bit for yourself. It'll become apparent what you've been missing with commercial watered down urine. I know all of the big commercial urine people are stand up guys and would never do such a thing, and I'm sure they've been stand up guys when you meet them.. I was gullible too and I'm not afraid to admit that some big names in the industry intrigued me at one time too.

I often see people comment they don't like dark or urine with sediment in it. I'm the opposite. If I can hold up a jug of urine and see through it I am not interested. There's difference between diets, time of the year, and how urine is collected that can change it. I don't plan to respond to any comments regarding what I just wrote. It's just an FYI for anyone who cares.

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Re: More info on coyote urine [Re: Yes sir] #6718765
01/06/20 08:54 PM
01/06/20 08:54 PM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
I've talked to Reusaat about his bobcats. Very interesting.

Re: More info on coyote urine [Re: Yes sir] #6720582
01/08/20 04:29 AM
01/08/20 04:29 AM
South Mississippi
9wire Offline
trapper
9wire  Offline
trapper

South Mississippi
Dam good post wade...

Re: More info on coyote urine [Re: Yes sir] #6726128
01/12/20 03:27 PM
01/12/20 03:27 PM
VA
V
vatrapping87 Offline
trapper
vatrapping87  Offline
trapper
V

VA
I have been using Lesels Fox urine and Coyote urine exclusively this season. Both have had good results.

Re: More info on coyote urine [Re: vatrapping87] #6726185
01/12/20 04:15 PM
01/12/20 04:15 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Originally Posted by vatrapping87
I have been using Lesels Fox urine and Coyote urine exclusively this season. Both have had good results.

Started using his as well. The Fox urine produces too many tripped traps from deer, I mainly stick with his Bobcat and Coyote urines.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91