Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Droppings in lure #6805663
03/17/20 12:45 PM
03/17/20 12:45 PM
Nevadafornia
L
Lazarus Offline OP
trapper
Lazarus  Offline OP
trapper
L

Nevadafornia
So just an observation. I see some lure makers absolutely refuse to allow any droppings or fecal matter in any type of lure, and I see others that add it (particularly to gland lure). When I had some windshield time this winter I was pondering this topic.

As it relates to bobcats, I concluded (in my own, unscientific way) that bobcat droppings probably convey information in two ways. First, as the dropping passes through the colon and exits the body, it passes between the two anal glands which excrete glandular material on two sides of the dropping. The glandular material PROBABLY conveys information about the cat's age, sex, mating readiness, and probably a lot of other stuff we don't understand. Second, the dropping contains processed, digested bobcat food -- mice, pack rats, rabbits, etc. As such, it probably isn't all that useful as it pertains to lure additives, since it's just digested food. On the other hand, the digestion process might also impart some chemical smells that are interesting to a cat. I suppose if a cat was eating on a deer, horse or some other large animal, it may convey to other cats that there is a large food source in the area . . .

All of that said, I think the old white chalky droppings would have marginal value as a lure additive because I surmise the glandular material has long since evaporated and dissipated. On trail cameras, cats rarely pay much attention to old white droppings unless they are saturated with urine or a lure, and then I surmise the real interest is the urine or the lure with which I have saturated them. On the other hand, fresh dark droppings hold interest to cats because (I surmise) they still have remnants of the glandular material that was imparted to them when they were left by the cat. So maybe fresh dark droppings added to a lure would have some benefit . . . ?

Canines are an entirely different topic, I believe, but interested to hear what the real experts have to say about this topic.

Re: Droppings in lure [Re: Lazarus] #6805733
03/17/20 01:33 PM
03/17/20 01:33 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
I'm no real expert but I've used a coyote lure that had droppings in it and it seemed to work very well for me. Planning on making some myself and testing if they add to the attractiveness.

Re: Droppings in lure [Re: Lazarus] #6806083
03/17/20 04:22 PM
03/17/20 04:22 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
The down side of using fecal matter in a bait or lure is the bacteria content can prove to be detrimental over time to that product. It can and will alter the odor over time if it is made in a quantity that may sit for more than a season or so. The numerous types of bacteria found within most fresh feces are not all quarantined by the use of commonly used preservatives.

Feces can play a productive roll in trapping and I use them as well in the pure form or I may re activate them with a little gland lure or urine as I see fit. I know some formulators that choose to use fecal matter in some products. I am a more purest thinking formulator and choose to keep some things more pure in their native form to produce a particular desired odor and expected response.

I have found predigested stomach contents to be a more beneficial material if considering a value added ingredient to a lure or bait for private use.

Re: Droppings in lure [Re: Lazarus] #6806092
03/17/20 04:34 PM
03/17/20 04:34 PM
Nevadafornia
L
Lazarus Offline OP
trapper
Lazarus  Offline OP
trapper
L

Nevadafornia
Bob, the change over time is something I hadn't considered during my windshield discussion with myself. Good thoughts there.

I try and use droppings at every cat set I make -- usually because they are there and that's why I made the set there. They have a huge visual attraction to cats and I've fooled around with black soaker hose segments squirted with urine and cats respond to them, perhaps only because of the urine.

Re: Droppings in lure [Re: Lazarus] #6806212
03/17/20 06:13 PM
03/17/20 06:13 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

For years I have collected bobcat scat from the colon after skinning. I mix about 16 ounces of the cat turds with 4 ounces of a good commercial bobcat gland lure...take your pick. Results in the best cat smell there is.

Posted about this a few years ago and several on here ridiculed the idea. I laughed about that several times as I attached CITES tags on many nice cat pelts..

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Droppings in lure [Re: Lazarus] #6806367
03/17/20 08:31 PM
03/17/20 08:31 PM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
Bob hit it, the bacteria is the key and has to be stopped or it will keep changing. There are some ways to do it, I would think. Plus when dealing with cats there may be other, not good for the human bacterias unless killed. like Toxoplasma gondii (not sure of spelling) causes Toxoplasmosis. Apparently, the food compounds are not totally digested in cat dropping. one reason dogs will eat cat droppings. I do not know if bobcat dropping falls in the same as house cat droppings.

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Droppings in lure [Re: Jonesie] #6806478
03/17/20 09:52 PM
03/17/20 09:52 PM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by Jonesie
Plus when dealing with cats there may be other, not good for the human bacterias unless killed. like Toxoplasma gondii (not sure of spelling) causes Toxoplasmosis. Apparently, the food compounds are not totally digested in cat dropping. one reason dogs will eat cat droppings. I do not know if bobcat dropping falls in the same as house cat droppings.

Heard this stated a few years ago too. Again...I'm using it as a lure...not eating it.

Re: Droppings in lure [Re: Lazarus] #6806495
03/17/20 10:07 PM
03/17/20 10:07 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Swamp Wolf I'm glad to hear your not eating it smile I personally wasn't to worried but I'm glad you cleared it up for anyone else.
Your comment made me smile

Re: Droppings in lure [Re: Yes sir] #6806850
03/18/20 09:46 AM
03/18/20 09:46 AM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by Yes sir
Swamp Wolf I'm glad to hear your not eating it smile I personally wasn't to worried but I'm glad you cleared it up for anyone else.
Your comment made me smile

Yeah, I thought I would let everyone know that. I've never used critter scat or urine and worried about getting a disease from it. If trappers are worried about that then how in hades do you skin anything without being so worried you're urinating on yourself???

Re: Droppings in lure [Re: Jonesie] #6806964
03/18/20 11:40 AM
03/18/20 11:40 AM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
Originally Posted by Jonesie
Bob hit it, the bacteria is the key and has to be stopped or it will keep changing. There are some ways to do it, I would think. Plus when dealing with cats there may be other, not good for the human bacterias unless killed. like Toxoplasma gondii (not sure of spelling) causes Toxoplasmosis. Apparently, the food compounds are not totally digested in cat dropping. one reason dogs will eat cat droppings. I do not know if bobcat dropping falls in the same as house cat droppings.

I have hounds and I can tell you that they certainly like bobcat droppings. They will practically get into a fight over cat scat.

Re: Droppings in lure [Re: Lazarus] #6807034
03/18/20 12:38 PM
03/18/20 12:38 PM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
You didn't hear me say I was worried about it. I will pick up every groundhog and Coyote dropping I find. I make a whole bunch more groundhog baits and lures than I do trapping baits and lures lol I skin and have a cup of coffee nearby at all times, So I'm not worried about it for me. But a post like this for some who do not think of these things Maybe is an advantage to think about. Kill the bacteria in the dropping so it doesn't change your formulation and you solved the other bacteria issues also correct.

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Droppings in lure [Re: Lazarus] #6808649
03/19/20 03:17 PM
03/19/20 03:17 PM
AZ
G
gotya Offline
trapper
gotya  Offline
trapper
G

AZ
I do what Swamp does with the turds in the colon except I use Ogormams cat pee to turn the turds into a paste. I use it just like lure ( glob on a stick). At every set I use, THIS^,gland lure, castor, skunk and sometimes a piece of jack tied to the back of the cage. All this, a nest, a dangler and some feathers. I have no clue what catches them, but the smorgasbord works!!

Re: Droppings in lure [Re: Lazarus] #6808655
03/19/20 03:21 PM
03/19/20 03:21 PM
AZ
G
gotya Offline
trapper
gotya  Offline
trapper
G

AZ
I made a gallon last year, put a cup of s/b in it and after seasons end, still have over 1/2 the gallon and no mold.

Re: Droppings in lure [Re: gotya] #6809416
03/20/20 03:17 AM
03/20/20 03:17 AM
Indiana
L
lureintheanimal Offline
trapper
lureintheanimal  Offline
trapper
L

Indiana
Originally Posted by gotya
I made a gallon last year, put a cup of s/b in it and after seasons end, still have over 1/2 the gallon and no mold.

lol , good deal , you probably have 1/2 gallon of Dung with S,+ B, watery crap !!!
whistle

Last edited by lureintheanimal; 03/20/20 03:22 AM.

vis vitalis
Re: Droppings in lure [Re: Lazarus] #6809597
03/20/20 09:07 AM
03/20/20 09:07 AM
AZ
G
gotya Offline
trapper
gotya  Offline
trapper
G

AZ