Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Shrimp oil #6821242
03/29/20 12:52 AM
03/29/20 12:52 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline OP
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline OP
Y

Marion Kansas
Any one played with oil from sun rendered shrimp? I've got some I'm going to start testing, just wondering if anyone had any experience with it. If it shows any attraction probably going to test it as a secondary odor in a call type lure for coyotes. I've had some luck shrimp essence oil. Just kind of bored and thought maybe it'd give us something to chat about.
Also testing horse that's aged in red wine for a year right now.

Last edited by Yes sir; 03/29/20 12:54 AM.
Re: Shrimp oil [Re: Yes sir] #6821405
03/29/20 08:03 AM
03/29/20 08:03 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
It is difficult to impossible to find a pure sun rendered Shrimp Oil out there. Most all extracted oils are tinctured to death in Mineral Oil or Glycerin. The odor doesn't hold over time when blended in a formula and dies out just sitting on the shelf I think you will find.

I call all those types of sun rendered ingredients "Tea Bag Oils". You dip the tea bag in the base oil for a few seconds and pull it out then go to the next bottle base and do the same over and over. You will learn about these ingredients over time if that is what it is. Some oils may be of synthetic oil origin and just tinctured or cut down in that way.

The samples I was given years back didn't hold well over time and just went flat in odor sitting on the shelf. Maybe you got lucky and got something better.

The synthetic oil is a much better/stronger true odor product and holds well in formulas.

Re: Shrimp oil [Re: Yes sir] #6821482
03/29/20 09:28 AM
03/29/20 09:28 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline OP
Yes sir  Offline OP
Y

Marion Kansas
Thanks for the solid advice Bob, always appreciated. The shrimp oil I'm playing with is a small amount I rendered myself, at least I'm assuming it is oil. It was floating on top of the rest of the stuff after about a year of aging. It was kind of by accident, it was leftover fish bait I didnt get back in the freezer soon enough so I just let it keep going. I have no clue whether it will be effective but the fun is in the trying for me. Lol
Anyone else have anything out of the norm they are testing they want to share for the reading pleasure of the rest of us.

Re: Shrimp oil [Re: Yes sir] #6821514
03/29/20 09:54 AM
03/29/20 09:54 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
It is always best when you are in charge of your own quality control. There isn't much fat oil with shrimp rendering.There is a lot of water in their tissue that holds some odor as you will find. Sit out a small volume what you think is oil. When it warms and gets open air exposure if it evaporates in a few days you can be sure it is mostly water content.

Don't want to spoil your fun. smile

Re: Shrimp oil [Re: Yes sir] #6821534
03/29/20 10:14 AM
03/29/20 10:14 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline OP
Yes sir  Offline OP
Y

Marion Kansas
Lol no worries about spoiling my fun Bob I try to be open at all times to sound advice and this sounds like sound advise. There was definitely a clear separation between the sludge in the jar and what I pulled of the top and still is in the little bit I didnt get out of the jar. But I will admit I had some question about if what I got is really pure oil for the reasons you stated above. I like your tip on how to determine if what I have is mostly water or good oil. Thanks

Re: Shrimp oil [Re: Yes sir] #6821961
03/29/20 04:20 PM
03/29/20 04:20 PM
10714 Apple road Carthage,Mo6...
C
Cletis Richards Offline
trapper
Cletis Richards  Offline
trapper
C

10714 Apple road Carthage,Mo6...
I saved the heads off of fifty lbs of shrimp I bought off of the shrimp boats in La thought about grinding em up and see what happens....that is after I get every other thing ground up and started breaking down

Appleroad Predator Bait

www.appleroadlures.com

Like us on Facebook

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91