Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Rebar Drag - weight for coyotes? [Re: IDTrapman] #6835092
04/08/20 09:47 PM
04/08/20 09:47 PM
Montana
Taximan Offline
trapper
Taximan  Offline
trapper

Montana
Originally Posted by IDTrapman
What's everyone's experience using double-loop chain with drags? I have 100' or so I was thinking of using but...?

BTW, my homebrew drags are around 2-1/2 pounds.

It will work if it is of decent size and not compromised by rust.

Re: Rebar Drag - weight for coyotes? [Re: Green Bay] #6835198
04/09/20 12:12 AM
04/09/20 12:12 AM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

I have a lot of different drags, The heavier they are the shorter the chain. If I have a drag that is a little light or doesn't hook up as well as some (or if I am in completely open ground) I just offset that discrepancy with a longer chain.

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Rebar Drag - weight for coyotes? [Re: Taximan] #6835202
04/09/20 12:15 AM
04/09/20 12:15 AM
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

Originally Posted by Taximan
Originally Posted by IDTrapman
What's everyone's experience using double-loop chain with drags? I have 100' or so I was thinking of using but...?

BTW, my homebrew drags are around 2-1/2 pounds.

It will work if it is of decent size and not compromised by rust.

He is right so long as its in good shape its fine. It also carves a groove that's easy to see when it passes over a rise or around a tree trunk. I kinda like it. I got some that is yellow coated and heavy duty. It is basically my fav for cats because they will lay so still in tall grass you'd almost step on them. I can see they yellow chain before the catch sometimes.

Re: Rebar Drag - weight for coyotes? [Re: Yukon John] #6835342
04/09/20 08:14 AM
04/09/20 08:14 AM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Originally Posted by Yukon John
Those look awesome! Will they work in timber as well as open ground? Looking for something that will work on yotes and cats.

critters don't care if it's heavy like WD's or not and pre-hooking in timber allows light drag use AND not wasting time looking for critters, PLUS they leave all their scent near the set to attract more.

IME heavy drags are best for open grassy areas

a few swivels in the first 2 ft of chain is essential regardless of weight or chain length

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Rebar Drag - weight for coyotes? [Re: Green Bay] #6835345
04/09/20 08:16 AM
04/09/20 08:16 AM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline
trapper
Yukon John  Offline
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
Most will say not to use/trust it...I have 2 yellow labs that are hard on everything, and my 1st double loop chains lasted a couple years (tied up all the time). The swivels mid chain actually wore out before the chain, although some of the loops were wore/stretched pretty good. I'm not sure of the size, but I'd say it was #3. My opinion would be to use it, and check it after EVERY catch, but I haven't used drags before either. Good luck.

Act like a blank, get treated like a blank. Insert your own blank!
Re: Rebar Drag - weight for coyotes? [Re: Green Bay] #6836472
04/09/20 10:15 PM
04/09/20 10:15 PM
Arkansas
B
bobcat_trapper Offline
trapper
bobcat_trapper  Offline
trapper
B

Arkansas
I run 2+ dz traps with 10 to 12 ft 2/0 loop chain. I use a 3/8 smooth rod coyote drag. I use a Duke #3 offset 4 coil. I run 4 swivels the first 4 ft. I use this setup on public land. If someone steals it. Not like losing a mb 650 or bridger #2 dogless modified trap. With a sabertooth drag and 10ft of #3 chain. I prehook 98% of them. I make sure the loop chain is dyed good so it dont rust. No issue with the loop chain.

Re: Rebar Drag - weight for coyotes? [Re: Green Bay] #6837571
04/10/20 08:51 PM
04/10/20 08:51 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
[Linked Image]

Just got a fish scale and figured I'd check. Turns out my 5/8" drags are right around the 4lbs mark

Re: Rebar Drag - weight for coyotes? [Re: Green Bay] #6837726
04/10/20 10:28 PM
04/10/20 10:28 PM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline
trapper
Yukon John  Offline
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
Those are bad-a no matter what they weigh! If you don't mind, I will fashion mine after yours. Thanks for sharing!!

Re: Rebar Drag - weight for coyotes? [Re: Wolfdog91] #6838425
04/11/20 12:55 PM
04/11/20 12:55 PM
Arkansas
B
bobcat_trapper Offline
trapper
bobcat_trapper  Offline
trapper
B

Arkansas
Originally Posted by Wolfdog91
[Linked Image]

Just got a fish scale and figured I'd check. Turns out my 5/8" drags are right around the 4lbs mark

Great looking drag. I bet they will work good. I have some 1 inch. Do u think I could make the frame out of it. Then make points out of 5/8. Just single peices not doubled on the 1 inch. I can get my hands on up to 3 inch I think it is. But way too big.

Re: Rebar Drag - weight for coyotes? [Re: Green Bay] #6839154
04/11/20 10:49 PM
04/11/20 10:49 PM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline
trapper
Yukon John  Offline
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
Do it!

Re: Rebar Drag - weight for coyotes? [Re: Green Bay] #6839226
04/12/20 12:03 AM
04/12/20 12:03 AM
SWMo.
T
tjm Offline
trapper
tjm  Offline
trapper
T

SWMo.
I use old style fox grapples and ~8'-10' of heavy chain, think sides off tire chains of the chain that used to be used for play ground swings, chain stays in contact with ground and the grapple doesn't need any weight, in woods. I usually prehook but that long chain will catch at the first thing the animal runs around, which is usually the first thing it comes to as it tries to hide. (think about walking through a jobsite dragging a 50' extension cord and how many things that can get caught on- a 10' or longer chain doesn't need to be as heavy gauge as an 8' because as a chain gets long it will automatically have more ground contact)
Chain and hook together might weigh a pound or pound half. I can carry several with traps on a walking line. weigh about the same two 24" stakes and set faster.
You could not give me any three pound anchors if I had to use them, I'd take a few if i could sell them or give then out to guys I don't like..

Re: Rebar Drag - weight for coyotes? [Re: Green Bay] #6843353
04/15/20 01:32 PM
04/15/20 01:32 PM
ak
nooksack Offline
trapper
nooksack  Offline
trapper

ak
My drag situation is different than most of you but my question is do you often get the chain wrapped around the base of the grapple without a modified v bar welded to the bottom?

I use drags occasionally but would like to use them more. I’m occasionally amazed at the distance a wolf can get with a drag of any material.

I run 10’ of chain, and 10’ of extension cable with a grapple. With a green log toggle I just have a short piece of cable for cinching on the log.

Weight is not an issue as all
My gear is in a sled.
These are what I’ve made and using.

[Linked Image]

Re: Rebar Drag - weight for coyotes? [Re: Green Bay] #6843706
04/15/20 07:33 PM
04/15/20 07:33 PM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
nooksack,
How do those work on wolves? It looks like the one on the left has a quicklink welded to it to attach chain/cable to? Was thinking of making some here for doing blind sets for wolves in the deep snow. Just stick a trap in the wolf tracks and toss the grapple into the snow. Could do it without getting off the snowmachine and minimum of disturbance.
Never trapped a wolf on a grapple though, I know people do it but was always leery of coming back after it snowed a foot overnight and trying to track a wolf that was caught before it snowed.

Re: Rebar Drag - weight for coyotes? [Re: Green Bay] #6843911
04/15/20 10:56 PM
04/15/20 10:56 PM
ak
nooksack Offline
trapper
nooksack  Offline
trapper

ak
That's a good idea bearcat, most have a link of chain welded on. The 1" grapple in the pic has a u joint bolt welded on. I use adjustable ends on both ends of my cable extensions to attach. I only started to use grapples the last two years. Always solid or a 8' plus green pole otherwise.

They work pretty good, but the smart ones will stay on the packed trail and go a ways sometimes before getting off or hooking up. I am always nervous towards the end of the week if snow/wind is forecast. The flip side is bad also when a chinook blows through.

Like Beav said, length is more important than weight. Anything can happen, I know of an instance where a wolf picked up the grapple and packed it a long ways. Its so fast to just set and toss, and its much easier to get them in the set out in the wide safe open. However nothing provides peace of mind like a solid anchor.

Re: Rebar Drag - weight for coyotes? [Re: Green Bay] #6920056
07/04/20 04:18 PM
07/04/20 04:18 PM
Wisconsin
G
Green Bay Offline OP
trapper
Green Bay  Offline OP
trapper
G

Wisconsin
[Linked Image]

Finally got around to working on these. As I mentioned earlier this spring, I found some rebar and decided to get some drags made. A family friend who is a lifelong welder (He is currently 94) needed some work to do because work has been slow due to Covid 19 so I brought it in to him.

Did a great job. The picture shows five drags but he did a complete dozen. These should last me a lifetime.

Thanks for all the ideas.

Brian

Author of The Lure Hunter: A Guide to Finding Fishing Lures
Re: Rebar Drag - weight for coyotes? [Re: Green Bay] #6920095
07/04/20 05:34 PM
07/04/20 05:34 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Get a concrete block drill a hole through one end place a eye bolt In that hole and hook up your chain. Trust me no matter what kind of country your In a coyotes Isn't going very far.

We were involved In this coyote study and we were trapping 100 of acres of harvested bean fields. The land was all cap rocked so you couldn't get In a stake anywhere. But there lots of small areas of heavy brush. We just tossed the block back In cover and made the set up tight to the edge. That way we didn't have to hide much chain. In most cases the coyote moved the block enough so It didn't destroy the set. And we just left the blocks In place for next year.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Rebar Drag - weight for coyotes? [Re: The Beav] #6920572
07/05/20 09:11 AM
07/05/20 09:11 AM
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

Originally Posted by The Beav
In my opinion It's more about how much chain you have between the trap and the drag.

This has always been my experience too. I use a lot of drags and my fav set ups allow the catch to get to cover b4 anyone sees them and a surprising number don't fight the trap much if you do it this way. Heavy well made drags, I don't need as much chain as I do on the old grapple type.

The JC Conner drags, Freedom Brand, and some super slick homemade ones I bought off the trap shed all go between 3 and 4 pounds and I would use any one of them setting for lions but I might add an extra spring (wolf strength) and a few more feet of chain.

Re: Rebar Drag - weight for coyotes? [Re: Green Bay] #6920580
07/05/20 09:18 AM
07/05/20 09:18 AM
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

Originally Posted by Green Bay
[Linked Image]

Those should do a fine job for you. If I ever saw my chain going over the points I might be tempted to modify them and prevent it but I don't see that happening. Fluff showed me a great trick to "point" your catch toward the brush line I want them to go to. I seldom do it but if there is a heavily used oil field road next to my set I sometimes will.

Drive in two smooth rods or rebars w/o too big of nuts on them at a 45 degree angle side by side. Think of something you could put a small piece of plywood on to make a bicycle ramp. Now trap your drag under them so that pulling one way is a no-go but heading off the direction they are angled the drag pulls free. It has probably saved me fur and no doubt some looking.

Re: Rebar Drag - weight for coyotes? [Re: Leftlane] #6920706
07/05/20 11:57 AM
07/05/20 11:57 AM
Arkansas
A
Artrapper16 Offline
trapper
Artrapper16  Offline
trapper
A

Arkansas
Originally Posted by Leftlane
Originally Posted by Green Bay
[Linked Image]

Those should do a fine job for you. If I ever saw my chain going over the points I might be tempted to modify them and prevent it but I don't see that happening. Fluff showed me a great trick to "point" your catch toward the brush line I want them to go to. I seldom do it but if there is a heavily used oil field road next to my set I sometimes will.

Drive in two smooth rods or rebars w/o too big of nuts on them at a 45 degree angle side by side. Think of something you could put a small piece of plywood on to make a bicycle ramp. Now trap your drag under them so that pulling one way is a no-go but heading off the direction they are angled the drag pulls free. It has probably saved me fur and no doubt some looking.

I want to say I seen Jeff dunlap do something like this on one of his videos on youtube

Re: Rebar Drag - weight for coyotes? [Re: Green Bay] #6920763
07/05/20 12:47 PM
07/05/20 12:47 PM
Wisconsin
G
Green Bay Offline OP
trapper
Green Bay  Offline OP
trapper
G

Wisconsin
I know a guy who has a piece of pipe added to his drag chain with about six chain loops about three feet from the actual trap. This "guide pipe" fits over a piece of rebar angled much as you suggest. When an animal gets in the trap it can only go the direction the rebar / guide pipe are aimed.

Author of The Lure Hunter: A Guide to Finding Fishing Lures
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91