Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 16 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 15 16
Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Artrapper16] #6839958
04/12/20 05:01 PM
04/12/20 05:01 PM
alabama
steeltraps Offline
trapper
steeltraps  Offline
trapper

alabama
Craig Ogorman also uses BIG traps. Like #3 Bridgers and #4 all four coiled with metal screen covers and has been catching 1000 plus a year for any years. I would like to just see how a #4 with 4 coils and metal screen cover , would react to Tesla Bot ? Would there be a difference between a #3 with a screen and a #3 without screen?? I may have to find out IF it quits raining here

Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: steeltraps] #6839976
04/12/20 05:23 PM
04/12/20 05:23 PM
Montana
Taximan Offline
trapper
Taximan  Offline
trapper

Montana
Originally Posted by steeltraps
Taxi. We were just talking about that! How did Pud Long and James Lucero catch 1000 plus a year with long spring ??? Would like to see reading on some long spring traps!!

I just talked to our friend in Texas.He has two Newhouse traps that he could test but right now,he is too busy playing Mr Mom and nanny to a 300 lb pet calf. crazy

Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Taximan] #6839979
04/12/20 05:24 PM
04/12/20 05:24 PM
alabama
steeltraps Offline
trapper
steeltraps  Offline
trapper

alabama
He was busy drinking beer, the other nite. So one my contest the accuracy if his MB-550 tests . LOL!!!!!

Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Artrapper16] #6840018
04/12/20 06:20 PM
04/12/20 06:20 PM
NE
P
plainstrapping25 Offline
trapper
plainstrapping25  Offline
trapper
P

NE
Probably a really stupid question. But does any dyes or wax help hide? Such as fmj

Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: plainstrapping25] #6840036
04/12/20 06:36 PM
04/12/20 06:36 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Originally Posted by plainstrapping25
Probably a really stupid question. But does any dyes or wax help hide? Such as fmj
It’s not a stupid question. I haven’t really found one. Powder coating I’ve done on Cage traps and Body grips that I have doesn’t seem to make a difference.It’s certainly possible.

The Real Reasons Animals Are Detecting Your Sets And Devices by Kirk Dekalb
https://amzn.to/2Hn1hxv
Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Kirk De] #6840069
04/12/20 06:56 PM
04/12/20 06:56 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Originally Posted by Kirk De
It’s not a stupid question. I haven’t really found one. Powder coating I’ve done on Cage traps and Body grips that I have doesn’t seem to make a difference.It’s certainly possible.

It probably doesn’t affect the field but it does prevent oxidation of the metal. So that would help in the detection by smell.

Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Artrapper16] #6840921
04/13/20 01:22 PM
04/13/20 01:22 PM
Central Pa. 62
B
bic Offline
"Mr. Sensitivity"
bic  Offline
"Mr. Sensitivity"
B

Central Pa. 62
Could I use a Gauss meter to measure the electro magnetic fields?

Life always offers a second chance.
It's called Tomorrow
Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: bic] #6840972
04/13/20 02:05 PM
04/13/20 02:05 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Originally Posted by bic
Could I use a Gauss meter to measure the electro magnetic fields?

It’s much easier to understand and to measure magnetic field induction when you’re using tesla or micro tesla readings.

Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Kirk De] #6841070
04/13/20 03:37 PM
04/13/20 03:37 PM
Central Pa. 62
B
bic Offline
"Mr. Sensitivity"
bic  Offline
"Mr. Sensitivity"
B

Central Pa. 62
None of the Tesla models I down loaded worked correctly on my android but the gauss meter has a nice dial type gauge that I kinda like.

Life always offers a second chance.
It's called Tomorrow
Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: plainstrapping25] #6841111
04/13/20 04:18 PM
04/13/20 04:18 PM
Southern Michigan
T
trappergbus Offline
trapper
trappergbus  Offline
trapper
T

Southern Michigan

Although I didn't take readings I get less avoidance/scratching with dyed and waxed coils springs with MB550 4 coils as apposed to just dyed unwaxed.

Common sense catches alot of fur..
Pay homage to all you harvest..
Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Artrapper16] #6842231
04/14/20 02:36 PM
04/14/20 02:36 PM
Rochester, MN
Teacher Offline
trapper
Teacher  Offline
trapper

Rochester, MN
After reading the entire 9 pages of responses I remembered Locklear’s Teachers of the Night videos I’ve seen and got the impression most of the avoidance of traps was because the canines were hole shy.

In the early minutes of the TotN dirt hole, he shows a coyote work a dh set from the back and side and promptly get caught in a trap set 90 degrees to the right of the dirt hole. That coyote didn’t avoid the trap because it was adverse to its magnetic field. If trap magnetic fields are so repulsive, that female coyote would have gone around the trap on its way to the bait.

In the TotN beaver version, he films a beaver sniffing the exposed metal of a 330. That trap still must have had a magnetic field, but once the beaver felt the “new” addition to its domain wasn’t harmful, it tried to go through it.

I’m not convinced magnetic fields have all that much to do with trap avoidance. Hole shyness, yes. But the pipe dream set has shown us there are a lot of critters caught that aren’t bothered by metal screens or the traps under them. The idea that we could be setting near a fault line, or the trap has to be turned a certain direction in order to lessen its magnetism, or the moon wasn’t in the 7th house long enough or whatever: I’m not ready to think in terms of avoidance based on this theory yet.

Never too old to learn
Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Artrapper16] #6842332
04/14/20 04:41 PM
04/14/20 04:41 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
I've put in 300+ test holes. Maybe 6 worked from back all others straight on.

Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Artrapper16] #6842333
04/14/20 04:42 PM
04/14/20 04:42 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Hole shyness I promise doesn't exist with my coyotes here

Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Teacher] #6842362
04/14/20 05:17 PM
04/14/20 05:17 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Originally Posted by Teacher
After reading the entire 9 pages of responses I remembered Locklear’s Teachers of the Night videos I’ve seen and got the impression most of the avoidance of traps was because the canines were hole shy.

In the early minutes of the TotN dirt hole, he shows a coyote work a dh set from the back and side and promptly get caught in a trap set 90 degrees to the right of the dirt hole. That coyote didn’t avoid the trap because it was adverse to its magnetic field. If trap magnetic fields are so repulsive, that female coyote would have gone around the trap on its way to the bait.

In the TotN beaver version, he films a beaver sniffing the exposed metal of a 330. That trap still must have had a magnetic field, but once the beaver felt the “new” addition to its domain wasn’t harmful, it tried to go through it.

I’m not convinced magnetic fields have all that much to do with trap avoidance. Hole shyness, yes. But the pipe dream set has shown us there are a lot of critters caught that aren’t bothered by metal screens or the traps under them. The idea that we could be setting near a fault line, or the trap has to be turned a certain direction in order to lessen its magnetism, or the moon wasn’t in the 7th house long enough or whatever: I’m not ready to think in terms of avoidance based on this theory yet.

You might want to go back and read all of my posts since August on magnetic field of devices. Your understanding is why you cannot grasp it.

Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Artrapper16] #6842407
04/14/20 06:11 PM
04/14/20 06:11 PM
Lakes Region Indiana
L
loosanarrow Offline
trapper
loosanarrow  Offline
trapper
L

Lakes Region Indiana
My observations have convinced me that at least beaver, coyotes, mink, and raccoon do not avoid or even appear to notice strong magnetic fields.
Clearly though, tests show some animals can orient themselves with the earth’s magnetic field when migrating or navigating travels, and strong magnetic fields can disrupt that ability so that they navigate differently or orient themselves in a different direction when traveling or navigating. But I see no video observation based evidence that strong magnetic fields or variations affect an animals behavior or activities at a specific location. Not saying it’s impossible, just saying I’ve got a lot of video of animals doing their thing around super powerful magnets as if the magnet was just another rock. Walking on them, moving them while dam building, standing over them while munching some bait.... No effect. So for whatever that is worth, there you go.

Website www.mgnbd.com
Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: loosanarrow] #6842430
04/14/20 06:29 PM
04/14/20 06:29 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Originally Posted by loosanarrow
My observations have convinced me that at least beaver, coyotes, mink, and raccoon do not avoid or even appear to notice strong magnetic fields.
Clearly though, tests show some animals can orient themselves with the earth’s magnetic field when migrating or navigating travels, and strong magnetic fields can disrupt that ability so that they navigate differently or orient themselves in a different direction when traveling or navigating. But I see no video observation based evidence that strong magnetic fields or variations affect an animals behavior or activities at a specific location. Not saying it’s impossible, just saying I’ve got a lot of video of animals doing their thing around super powerful magnets as if the magnet was just another rock. Walking on them, moving them while dam building, standing over them while munching some bait.... No effect. So for whatever that is worth, there you go.

Maybe you tested too many magnets and not trapping devices. I had too many experiences to not to believe what I have

Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Artrapper16] #6842454
04/14/20 07:02 PM
04/14/20 07:02 PM
Lakes Region Indiana
L
loosanarrow Offline
trapper
loosanarrow  Offline
trapper
L

Lakes Region Indiana
Well that is true, I tested magnets, not trapping devices. So maybe it’s not worth much. Those who are interested may draw their own conclusions. Or not.

Website www.mgnbd.com
Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Kirk De] #6842500
04/14/20 07:47 PM
04/14/20 07:47 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Originally Posted by Kirk De
Originally Posted by Teacher

You might want to go back and read all of my posts since August on magnetic field of devices. Your understanding is why you cannot grasp it.

Teacher do you know of a trapper or have you made a trap that reduces the field by facing it to the north.Or are you just poking fun saying that it wouldn’t make a difference.Have you tested your traps during a full moon with the magnetometer.Especially cage traps. I’ve heard of trappers say that I tried and it doesn’t work. That it makes no difference. Have you tried with the traps you use. Maybe it takes a special trap.Or is that just silly.

Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Artrapper16] #6842579
04/14/20 08:55 PM
04/14/20 08:55 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Sounds like this Is more about the use of cage traps.
Don't know about magnetic fields and the 4 compass points. But I do know I have a better catch rate when I have my trap down wind from my bait or lured location.

If what you do and believe gives you more confidence when your trapping so be It.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Artrapper16] #6843256
04/15/20 11:48 AM
04/15/20 11:48 AM
Rochester, MN
Teacher Offline
trapper
Teacher  Offline
trapper

Rochester, MN
All I have done is read and study. No, I haven’t tested anything.

Some of what I’ve read is that animals/birds orient themselves due to what researchers say is gravitational pull of the moon. I’ll buy that.

From what I observed of my catch this last fall, in sloppy mud conditions using both aluminum and steel screens over tightly pack traps, then covered with grass. You get where I’m coming from. Before the virus knocked me down, those pipe dream sets gave me the best season I’ve had in years. If it’s your belief magnetism is affecting your season, that’s fine. I’m not convinced it’s affecting mine.

Never too old to learn
Page 9 of 16 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 15 16
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91