ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Pain in the rear customer #6875355
05/17/20 10:39 PM
05/17/20 10:39 PM
Ct
S
Swamp Yankee Offline OP
trapper
Swamp Yankee  Offline OP
trapper
S

Ct
ok guys both looking for advice and looking to vent a little because I've never encountered a customer like this. So last week get a call from a property manager about an "unknown animal problem" in a 3 story apartment building and was told this is a very pressing issue that needs to be resolved asap. So I told them point blank the inspection/ consult is by the hour at a rate of $50/hr plus materials and that I DONT DO BATS. So I show up and my first instinct is to get back in my truck and leave... mistake#1. This is a 52 unit 3 story building that is a converted chicken coop.... no joke. Maintenance guy and building manager meet me on site. So I do my due diligence and walk the building 360 in, out, on the roof and talked to the tenants in 8 units that I inspected also. 4 of which all complaining of the same thing. So I finally shot the walls with my thermal....... HOLY BAT MAN the walls light up like a giant bee hive. So I take my inspection camera just to be certain and yup bats and lots of them. So I call the property manager let her know what I found and told her I'd email her my report with pictures alot of pictures and the name of a guy I trust that does bats. Next day I get a call from her screaming at me telling me it was highway robbery and they weren't going to pay. Its got to the point where both the property manger and building owner have call almost on a daily basis and threatened that I can fix the problem or they will sue for damages.... what do I do now, wish I never answered the phone.

“The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom.” - President Theodore Roosevelt
Re: Pain in the rear customer [Re: Swamp Yankee] #6875449
05/18/20 01:10 AM
05/18/20 01:10 AM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
If they have nothing in writing saying you offered to “fix”
any type of problem, versus you simply providing an inspection.

Some folks would just let them continue to talk to your voicemail.

Others would say “feel free, see you in court and I’ll be countersuing you for my lost time, expenses and legal fees.

Others would provide a few choice words that aren’t ok to use here.

Ultimately in the last 10 years now I’ve had one entity decide to mention legal action when they we’re clearly at fault and wanted me to rush actions because they didn’t hire it when offered a year before.

I told them I’d be happy to bring my documents showing when I provided the initial inspection and proposal and meet them in court if they felt that was the best way to resolve it.

Some folks are just litigious (a word I can’t use here), and most that say “legal action” aren’t likely expecting you to stand your ground. But each operator must use their own judgement on how to engage and deal with these types.

Based on your description they are asking you to do a high dollar bat exclusion, it is approaching maternity season depending on your location and state laws and the colony size and your statement you don’t do bats with a referral to someone who does, and their reluctance to pay anything means you either let them talk to your phone or get some local lawyer you trust to let them know in writing this will end with them paying you if they don’t stop harassing you.

These are the types of managers who allow animal issues to become liabilities and want miracles worked at the 11th hour.

Good luck with it! Every year I work to weed out more of the potential of catching this type of case and this is also why so many have contracts even for inspections.

Re: Pain in the rear customer [Re: Swamp Yankee] #6875517
05/18/20 07:07 AM
05/18/20 07:07 AM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
They don't have a contract with you to fix the issue.

They don't like the quote a different company provided. That isn't your problem. They can get other quotes.

Do you have names of the people who called? Call your friendly police department, explain the situation, and report them for harassment. A police report may not be a bad thing to have.

Re: Pain in the rear customer [Re: Swamp Yankee] #6875519
05/18/20 07:12 AM
05/18/20 07:12 AM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
Of course, you always have the department of health to call and can provide them lots of pictures of the infestation. You can always tell the rental company that too.

Re: Pain in the rear customer [Re: Swamp Yankee] #6875551
05/18/20 07:45 AM
05/18/20 07:45 AM
pennsylvania
R
rick brocious Offline
trapper
rick brocious  Offline
trapper
R

pennsylvania
Just an idol threat from them . You provided them with the service you told them you were going to do . You found out it was bats which you told them you DON'T do . If they didn't pay you take it to the magistrate or get a lawyer . I don't understand why they would be mad . What damages do they think your liable for ?

Last edited by rick brocious; 05/18/20 07:47 AM.
Re: Pain in the rear customer [Re: Swamp Yankee] #6875559
05/18/20 08:00 AM
05/18/20 08:00 AM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
I would think with out paper work it is a dead issue on both ends. JMO

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Pain in the rear customer [Re: EatenByLimestone] #6875627
05/18/20 08:57 AM
05/18/20 08:57 AM
Ohio
Ronaround Offline
trapper
Ronaround  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Originally Posted by EatenByLimestone
Of course, you always have the department of health to call and can provide them lots of pictures of the infestation. You can always tell the rental company that too.

I Like This ^^^^^

Re: Pain in the rear customer [Re: Swamp Yankee] #6877608
05/20/20 11:30 AM
05/20/20 11:30 AM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
So what do YOU have in writing? You need to be proactive about your business by having a good written agreement in the beginning. This will not help here unfortunately.

A simple answer is that they paid you for an inspection - your receipt should say that. Did you give them a written report? Again the written word is your friend. They did not pay you to do the removal and exclusion work.

I went to look at a mystery animal call for a landlord who lives out of town. After a tenant allowed me to look around I found a shameful condition including open holes in the walls to the outside. I sent a report to the landlord telling him that the place should not be inhabited and he should have the mountain of trash by the dumpster removed. I attached photos. I told him that I would not work for him to do anything.

The slumlord representatives are trying to dump their problem on you. Don't let them do it.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Pain in the rear customer [Re: Swamp Yankee] #6877898
05/20/20 07:28 PM
05/20/20 07:28 PM
New York
P
ponyboy Offline
trapper
ponyboy  Offline
trapper
P

New York
That first bad customer will make you a lot smarter.

Lucky we have a good place like this ADC Forum for some good feedback.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread