Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: What's Under Your Pan? [Re: Larry Baer] #6884091
05/28/20 12:24 PM
05/28/20 12:24 PM
NNY
080808 Offline
trapper
080808  Offline
trapper

NNY
Yeah I also use stick. Agree with Huntall. Don’t get me wrong I not a Greta fan but we need to take some responsibility.

Re: What's Under Your Pan? [Re: Huntall76] #6884113
05/28/20 01:06 PM
05/28/20 01:06 PM
Southern Michigan
T
trappergbus Offline
trapper
trappergbus  Offline
trapper
T

Southern Michigan
Originally Posted by Huntall76
I'm glad that you guys try to pickup/reuse the none biodegradable items, I hate seeing garbage left by hunters and trappers.

I've not been a fan of Clint Locklear after seeing him show how he baits his dirt holes, he uses a plastic spoon gets his bait breaks it to use the other end for lure the throws the pieces into the hole. Why not use popsicles sticks they are pretty cheap and are biodegradable, just makes no sense to me that a Outdoorsmen would just leave trash everywhere they go.

I know some will be rolling their eyes at this but to me it's nature, woods, creeks, rivers, ponds , etc. Why dirty up where we love to go.

Ok start the bashing.

Agree, I carry a dedicated tote for trash I find, doesn't take long to fill it. I even go out after season to get what I've missed. No bashing here.. Farmers appreciate that .

Common sense catches alot of fur..
Pay homage to all you harvest..
Re: What's Under Your Pan? [Re: Larry Baer] #6884542
05/28/20 11:10 PM
05/28/20 11:10 PM
Pennsylvania
C
coalbank Offline
trapper
coalbank  Offline
trapper
C

Pennsylvania
Have tried most everything I could think.of under the pan. Was disappointed with them all. Screen is preferred now.

Re: What's Under Your Pan? [Re: Larry Baer] #6884562
05/28/20 11:28 PM
05/28/20 11:28 PM
Indiana
H
Huntall76 Offline
trapper
Huntall76  Offline
trapper
H

Indiana
I use wax paper over my pan.

Re: What's Under Your Pan? [Re: Larry Baer] #6884683
05/29/20 05:52 AM
05/29/20 05:52 AM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline
trapper
jabNE  Offline
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
Section of pipe wrap insulation. Tear off a piece just bige enough to go under the pan and dog.
Jim

Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can buy you a trapping license and that's pretty close.
Re: What's Under Your Pan? [Re: Larry Baer] #6884814
05/29/20 09:12 AM
05/29/20 09:12 AM
Peoria County Illinois
Larry Baer Offline OP
trapper
Larry Baer  Offline OP
trapper

Peoria County Illinois
I too use screen but I have a few longsprings and am thinking something under the pan may work better for those because they have the original pans and dogs on them. I like how the pipe foam looks.

Just passin through
Re: What's Under Your Pan? [Re: Larry Baer] #6884856
05/29/20 10:12 AM
05/29/20 10:12 AM
E central Il
G
Golf ball Offline
trapper
Golf ball  Offline
trapper
G

E central Il
I have found that in my corner of the world, if you dig a hole during trapping season it will fill with water. I’m not bashing anyone using the furnace filters, polyfill , pipe wrap or any other such thing . What I’ve found is that around here the hole that your trap is setting in fills with water and proceeds to freeze before all the water is gone. Now the water leaves the trap bed still looks good so it gets left alone only to find out the hard way that the poly whatever you used under the pan is frozen. Maybe not solid , but enough to find a track on the pan ! I’ve tried just about everything over the years and I love Zaggers bedding method . When I can make a set out of the wind I use it with the utmost confidence. When making a set that is on the wide open prairie I’ve had screens come off and even seen them vibrate in the wind enough to be noticeable . Now before you start in that I’m not doing it right , let me say this . I’ve seen two of Zaggers demos and his video, I’ve trapped for 50 years and the last 30 for coyote almost exclusively. That being said I use an mb 650 and with both jaws locked down , I feel it’s the perfect trap for this type of bedding. Now for the cure and the answer to Larry’s question. I dig a funnel shaped hole that a 650 just fits in below the surface. I use peat in the hole , between the jaws and edge of the hole and anywhere else it will go . If you’ve ever worked with peat you know that it too will blow around so I put a 1/4 to 1/2” of waxed dirt on top of the whole thing. Add some grass clippings or field chaff depending on the situation and bam ! You’ve got a dirt set that won’t drown or blow away out here on the prairie.

Re: What's Under Your Pan? [Re: Golf ball] #6884868
05/29/20 10:30 AM
05/29/20 10:30 AM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline
trapper
Yukon John  Offline
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
Originally Posted by Golf ball
I have found that in my corner of the world, if you dig a hole during trapping season it will fill with water. I’m not bashing anyone using the furnace filters, polyfill , pipe wrap or any other such thing . What I’ve found is that around here the hole that your trap is setting in fills with water and proceeds to freeze before all the water is gone. Now the water leaves the trap bed still looks good so it gets left alone only to find out the hard way that the poly whatever you used under the pan is frozen. Maybe not solid , but enough to find a track on the pan ! I’ve tried just about everything over the years and I love Zaggers bedding method . When I can make a set out of the wind I use it with the utmost confidence. When making a set that is on the wide open prairie I’ve had screens come off and even seen them vibrate in the wind enough to be noticeable . Now before you start in that I’m not doing it right , let me say this . I’ve seen two of Zaggers demos and his video, I’ve trapped for 50 years and the last 30 for coyote almost exclusively. That being said I use an mb 650 and with both jaws locked down , I feel it’s the perfect trap for this type of bedding. Now for the cure and the answer to Larry’s question. I dig a funnel shaped hole that a 650 just fits in below the surface. I use peat in the hole , between the jaws and edge of the hole and anywhere else it will go . If you’ve ever worked with peat you know that it too will blow around so I put a 1/4 to 1/2” of waxed dirt on top of the whole thing. Add some grass clippings or field chaff depending on the situation and bam ! You’ve got a dirt set that won’t drown or blow away out here on the prairie.

I think you could do that with screen too. Screen, a few clippings, a little dirt, and a little more grass to blend. I'd say you've got it though.

Act like a blank, get treated like a blank. Insert your own blank!
Re: What's Under Your Pan? [Re: Larry Baer] #6884880
05/29/20 10:48 AM
05/29/20 10:48 AM
E central Il
G
Golf ball Offline
trapper
Golf ball  Offline
trapper
G

E central Il
I’m not sure I understand how peat seems to repel water but I’ve had sets completely submerged for a couple days at a time and when the water receded the trap was dry. Had this not worked so well I would have went that route. I use a black sugar type sand that after being waxed will still go through a screen over time. I’ve not had my hands on steel screen or years, is it any tighter than aluminum ?

Re: What's Under Your Pan? [Re: Golf ball] #6885002
05/29/20 02:24 PM
05/29/20 02:24 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
I’m not sure I understand how peat seems to repel water but I’ve had sets completely submerged for a couple days at a time and when the water receded the trap was dry. Had this not worked so well I would have went that route. I use a black sugar type sand that after being waxed will still go through a screen over time. I’ve not had my hands on steel screen or years, is it any tighter than aluminum ?

Bone dry peat and dirt become hydrophobic. Peat doesn't hold water very well but it can still freeze if it can't bake out again.

I think o'gorman still sells steel screen.

Re: What's Under Your Pan? [Re: Larry Baer] #6885021
05/29/20 03:11 PM
05/29/20 03:11 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Don’t see how the screen can blow away and vibrate if under the jaws, maybe I’m doing it wrong. Just ordered steel screen from No BS...great thin steel screen. Works just like I always imagined it would. They have 5x5 and 6x6 I believe. I should have enough to last me the rest of this Summer and all of next winter. Been lucky on a few catches and have been able to reuse it.

Last edited by Wanna Be; 05/29/20 03:12 PM.
Re: What's Under Your Pan? [Re: Larry Baer] #6885506
05/30/20 07:04 AM
05/30/20 07:04 AM
Pennsylvania
H
Hern Offline
trapper
Hern  Offline
trapper
H

Pennsylvania
Larry, I use screen.

I learn (from CoonDuke) to pre-cut or grab on-the-go lure sticks from Golden Rods. A ready supply all season long.
Break or cut Golden Rods into lure sticks and keep with setting tools. This saves time & steps instead of looking for the right stick near set.
[Linked Image]

I like paste bait.
To apply bait deep in hole and smear around, I use a cake icing knife. I painted handle on this knife.
[Linked Image]

Knife goes in the same pocket, in bait bag
[Linked Image]

Re: What's Under Your Pan? [Re: Larry Baer] #6885836
05/30/20 02:42 PM
05/30/20 02:42 PM
E central Il
G
Golf ball Offline
trapper
Golf ball  Offline
trapper
G

E central Il
I cut a template out of thin cardboard using a trap without the inside lamination . With aluminum screen ( all I could find around here ) I now use an inside laminated trap and put the screen over the pan but under the lamination, not under the jaw !

Thanks SniperB , once the ground starts to freeze I will start trying to force waxed dirt along the outside of the jaws next to the frozen ground.

Re: What's Under Your Pan? [Re: Michael Lippold] #6885864
05/30/20 03:15 PM
05/30/20 03:15 PM
Montana
Taximan Offline
trapper
Taximan  Offline
trapper

Montana
Originally Posted by Michael Lippold
Taximan what kind of hammer is that? I’ve never seen such a rig

That is called a drilling hammer-3# head.Any hammer will work but with my punch,I can twist it through several layers of fiberglass,by hand.

This pipe wrap insulation,as I said,most of the time,stays under the pan.If it comes out,catches don't shred it.Even mice,squirrels and birds don't bother it.I often reuse it but if not,take it with me.I once had one that must have gotten covered with debris.I found the next season,right by the set.Nothing touched it.No loose fibers,it looked like the day I punched it out and,I reused on that set.I remember seeing one soiled but I could clean them easily,if I wanted to.

Re: What's Under Your Pan? [Re: Larry Baer] #6886371
05/31/20 08:03 AM
05/31/20 08:03 AM
N.E. Nebr
L
LDW Offline
trapper
LDW  Offline
trapper
L

N.E. Nebr
I use pipe insulation also, with waxed sane over the top. The sand doesn't allow water to get under the pan. Been using this combination for the last 5 years with no problems. That being said, we don't usually get rain when I'm trapping. I have 100 percent confidence in this setup. The waxed sand is really the key ingredient.

Re: What's Under Your Pan? [Re: Larry Baer] #6886433
05/31/20 09:38 AM
05/31/20 09:38 AM
W NY
Turtledale Online content
trapper
Turtledale  Online Content
trapper

W NY
Wow LDW I'm jealous Here we get lots of rain - freeze - thaw it seems to be the norm. Waxed dirt or sand is a must with any pan covering or underpan fill.

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: What's Under Your Pan? [Re: Larry Baer] #6886443
05/31/20 09:57 AM
05/31/20 09:57 AM
montana
R
red mt Offline
trapper
red mt  Offline
trapper
R

montana
Steel screen over wax dirt or coal shale when I can get. Air under the pan
A butter knife lure and bait
To rain and snow and freezing for much else in the winter here.

Kenneth schoening
Re: What's Under Your Pan? [Re: Larry Baer] #6886447
05/31/20 10:02 AM
Montana
Taximan Offline
trapper
Taximan  Offline
trapper

Montana
It is the same here with just about no rain during trapping season.We do have frequent snows that often melt before another one comes.I avoid low spots at all costs,utilize wind sweep areas and in the timber,look for shaded areas.Beyond that,I punch drain holes in beds or dirtholes and sometimes put down a barrier between trap and bed.After snow covers the sets,I give them a couple days,then get in there,sweep it off,check the sets for function,sweep out my tracks and go.

Re: What's Under Your Pan? [Re: Golf ball] #6886448
montana
R
red mt Offline
trapper
red mt  Offline
trapper
R

montana

I can show you a way to lock down steel or aluminum screen down in those 650s Golf Ball I have used steel screen on mj 600.

Kenneth schoening
Re: What's Under Your Pan? [Re: Larry Baer] #6886734
05/31/20 06:07 PM
05/31/20 06:07 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
We don’t deal we freeze thaw, but when this nice Georgia red clay dries after a rain, you have cement. The polyfil under the pan works great in sand and even clay. The pan will depress but the jaws are cemented in place. Areas with any type of clay get Zaggers method. If I can find good dirt I’ll place a dirt hole set and do it the old fashion way using polyfil.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91