ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Magnetic field in cage traps help me Kirk #6950033
07/31/20 10:55 PM
07/31/20 10:55 PM
S.E. Michigan
W
WileyKiller Offline OP
trapper
WileyKiller  Offline OP
trapper
W

S.E. Michigan
Help me wrap my brain around this lessening of magnetic field in a cage trap. Please I am not the only one who needs to learn this I am sure of it thank you in advance

Re: Magnetic field in cage traps help me Kirk [Re: WileyKiller] #6950091
07/31/20 11:37 PM
07/31/20 11:37 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
I suspected several years ago that animals could detect the magnetic field of a trap. It wasn’t until I learned that you can turn your iPhone into a magnetometer by just getting an app. I found that some animals were avoiding my cages. I essentially then tested numerous models of traps that I made. I found certain ones had a high intensity going in and through the trap and some had a low intensity going in and through the trap. I soon realized that the traps were catching the fewest number of animals were the ones with the high intensity readings inside the trap. I had to make 100 different designs and models before I got to that point.I found the magnetometer never lied. If the animal had a certain molecules in its system he could detect a variation of the magnetic field of the earth. Essentially detecting the difference of high and low.
I found it to be true and using every device. Whether a conibear, Snare, foothold, or cage trap.What I learned Allows one to be able to test a trap before it is purchased or used to tell whether or not or how effective it will be.
I didn’t realize how big of a deal it was until I got to that point. So I wrote a book and got it copyrighted. You can go back and look at the post that I made in the last year to where you should understand the bulk of it.

The Real Reasons Animals Are Detecting Your Sets And Devices by Kirk Dekalb
https://amzn.to/2Hn1hxv
Re: Magnetic field in cage traps help me Kirk [Re: WileyKiller] #6950230
08/01/20 07:43 AM
08/01/20 07:43 AM
S.E. Michigan
W
WileyKiller Offline OP
trapper
WileyKiller  Offline OP
trapper
W

S.E. Michigan
Is there any way to reduce the magnetic field if it's high in a trap already. Or should I just throw it away because it has a high magnetic field inside of it. I value your opinion please let me know

Re: Magnetic field in cage traps help me Kirk [Re: WileyKiller] #6950247
08/01/20 08:22 AM
08/01/20 08:22 AM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Originally Posted by WileyKiller
Is there any way to reduce the magnetic field if it's high in a trap already. Or should I just throw it away because it has a high magnetic field inside of it. I value your opinion please let me know

If it’s a foothold how do you bed and prepare the set Will hide the projected field. If it’s a snare it also makes a difference how it is presented. The biggest factors is how it’s made and that is particularly pronounced in the use of the cage trap, A snare, and a conibear trap. This is evident because the animal has to go through or into the device. A cage trap that emits a magnetic field that is higher than that of the induction of the earth at the pan can be reduced or blocked by covering the pan with a board or grass clippings that are dry or dead. This will hide the field. If the trap has an interior swing bar that hangs down from the top or if the trap is upside down with bar extending up should be placed in water which blocks the radiating field coming off of the swing bar. I trap that uses a pan as a trigger can be placed in water that covers the pan and it will block the magnetic field and of the trap pan. Some traps with the interior pans or parts can still reduce the magnetic field inside the cage trap. That’s why it’s important to test every trap that you use. Some cage traps don’t have the limitations that others do. Some don’t have to be submerged in water to block the magnetic field or reduce the magnetic field. You have no way of knowing this unless you measure the magnetic field with a magnetometer. Even if you have a high magnetic field intensity you probably will still catch animals especially if they don’t have certain molecules in their system. Decreasing the magnetic field intensity just increases the opportunity to catch the older wiser animals.

Re: Magnetic field in cage traps help me Kirk [Re: WileyKiller] #6950685
08/01/20 04:33 PM
08/01/20 04:33 PM
S.E. Michigan
W
WileyKiller Offline OP
trapper
WileyKiller  Offline OP
trapper
W

S.E. Michigan
Well I'm glad I didn't know about this 28 years ago when I started my nuisance Wildlife Control business cuz it would have freaked me out. But after thousands of animals successfully caught in cages I don't think I'll worry too much about the magnetic fields thanks for the info though have a great day

Re: Magnetic field in cage traps help me Kirk [Re: WileyKiller] #6950729
08/01/20 05:32 PM
08/01/20 05:32 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Well I'm glad I didn't know about this 28 years ago when I started my nuisance Wildlife Control business cuz it would have freaked me out. But after thousands of animals successfully caught in cages I don't think I'll worry too much about the magnetic fields thanks for the info though have a great day

Six years ago from today an animal damage control magazine technical magazine Did a comparison between two traps. They were double door traps. One was 9 x 11 x 30 the other was 10 x 12 x 30. The editor tested the two traps in the field for 30 days. He told me one trap outperformed the other trap by 4 to 1 in actual catches. He did not post or write in his magazine when he did the article the catch ratio. He said he had no way to scientifically prove why one caught four times more than the other of the same period of time. Materials used were basically the same. Both were powder coated and both had a wire trigger.
I still have in possession a trap identical to the 10 x 12 x 30 trap that was used in the test. It has a reduced magnetic field intensity that runs from 47 micro Tesla to 15 micro Tesla here . I believe if the editor will go back and test the two traps that he probably still has he can scientifically prove the difference between one and the other. This would give a reason why one out caught the other.

Re: Magnetic field in cage traps help me Kirk [Re: Kirk De] #6950810
08/01/20 06:58 PM
08/01/20 06:58 PM
Canada
U
Urbancoon Offline
trapper
Urbancoon  Offline
trapper
U

Canada
Originally Posted by Kirk De
...One was 9 x 11 x 30 the other was 10 x 12 x 30. The editor tested the two traps in the field for 30 days. He told me one trap outperformed the other trap by 4 to 1 in actual catches.

To make it scientific, though, you'd need two traps exactly the same except for the magnetic fields.

Re: Magnetic field in cage traps help me Kirk [Re: Urbancoon] #6950819
08/01/20 07:03 PM
08/01/20 07:03 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Originally Posted by Urbancoon
Originally Posted by Kirk De
...One was 9 x 11 x 30 the other was 10 x 12 x 30. The editor tested the two traps in the field for 30 days. He told me one trap outperformed the other trap by 4 to 1 in actual catches.

To make it scientific, though, you'd need two traps exactly the same except for the magnetic fields.

I was that close. If one had a high intensity field the other one didn’t it would be obvious.

Re: Magnetic field in cage traps help me Kirk [Re: WileyKiller] #6951285
08/02/20 06:07 AM
08/02/20 06:07 AM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY

Why would it have freaked you out? Animals teach me new things all the time. Why should the theory that magnetic fields can change their behavior be any different? Is it necessary to know about magnetic fields in order to be successful? I think we could all argue we've successfully caught animals without knowledge of it, but could this knowledge help us? Maybe. But I'd argue somebody can be quite successful in this field without ever catching an animal in the first place and that sales skills are more important than tech skills.

Re: Magnetic field in cage traps help me Kirk [Re: WileyKiller] #6951385
08/02/20 08:52 AM
08/02/20 08:52 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
Not exactly sure about the last post. I'm all about catching, closure, solving a problem, making a customer feel good about getting results for the money he spent. Though I don't guarantee, it sometimes works out that way as I will not always charge when an animal leaves a property. The only animals I can't catch are the ones that leave the site. As long as a customer has activity or sees animals, I will remain on the job and finish it. At times animals will disappear, but those that remain come with me as they have for the past 30 years, meaning that the cages, snares, footholds, clamshell traps etc. have been working just fine. I don't really need a third party to try to convince me of imaginary problems I simply don't experience.

Re: Magnetic field in cage traps help me Kirk [Re: WileyKiller] #6951492
08/02/20 11:27 AM
08/02/20 11:27 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
All of our animals have metal in their heads. This automatically draws them into our magnetic field cages!

Re: Magnetic field in cage traps help me Kirk [Re: WileyKiller] #6951605
08/02/20 02:03 PM
08/02/20 02:03 PM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
I guess that puts this topic to bed. Thanks Paul.

Re: Magnetic field in cage traps help me Kirk [Re: WileyKiller] #6952766
08/03/20 04:37 PM
08/03/20 04:37 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
This was posted on the trapping only forum but it has merit for here.
The first 11 or 12 years that I trapped for beaver and otter I only used Victor and BMI traps. Mainly Victor. I learned when setting the traps exposed to lay a two or 3 inch diameter stick in front of the trap on each side where the animal can’t see the Outline of the trap as he aproachs. The animals would not avoid the set and I caught hundreds of beavers and otters that way each year. I shared in my trappintales video.I live in Georgia and the closest place to buy supplies was a long way away. So I bought cheaper traps when I replaced the 330s. The cheap replacements were about 1 inch shorter they were a little harder for me to set by hand. I used them as I would victors. I soon learned that the animals coming down those runs sometimes avoided my set. So for the next several years I always use Victor traps in situations like that because I thought the bigger opening was what was solving the problem.
Many years later when I started testing traps for magnetic fields I learned that the victor traps radiate it off the top just like the cheaper traps but there was a big difference. The victor trap had a reduced magnetic field going through the center of the trap. The cheaper trap made in China or Korea had a high magnetic field induction going to the center of the trap. That told me that what was happening with the cheaper trap was that the animal was seeing the higher induction of the field and avoiding to set. That further gave me a reason to understand magnetic fields in cage traps and snares. It was a very learning experience. That’s why I have confidence in what I’ve learned at least one of the ways are reasons to believe and understand.

Re: Magnetic field in cage traps help me Kirk [Re: WileyKiller] #6953526
08/04/20 07:16 AM
08/04/20 07:16 AM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
Kirk, why are the magnetic fields different? Is it a question of allot used? Gauge of metal cage? Etc?

Re: Magnetic field in cage traps help me Kirk [Re: EatenByLimestone] #6953542
08/04/20 07:35 AM
08/04/20 07:35 AM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Originally Posted by EatenByLimestone
Kirk, why are the magnetic fields different? Is it a question of allot used? Gauge of metal cage? Etc?

Yes
You can have almost a denticle looking traps But the field will be different. That’s why you need to test each trap before you use it.

Re: Magnetic field in cage traps help me Kirk [Re: WileyKiller] #6953791
08/04/20 11:42 AM
08/04/20 11:42 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
I guess this should be quantified, addressed by individual species. A great deal of this basically has no relevance, probably most of it, as problems in trapping are related to the specific intelligence of the individual species and to the function of the devices used, the most important issues in trapping. Anyone after reading the above who is now thinking OMG what am I doing wrong, now I have to get all new equipment, forget it, no need to change. I test daily in the field as I have for the past 55 years. I set a trap and catch an animal, test over. Skunks, Opossum, woodchucks, armadillos and others for starters are pretty much stupid, will go into any cage any time, even the off brands. Just about everything works to some degree. There really are pretty much no issues with these animals. The only time you might have trouble is if animals have been caged and released, but even then, not always. There was a local ADC guy who released a bunch of chucks in a cemetery behind his rental home. After he moved on I got the call and caught them all, no problem. Never had even one digger as I used positive sets, no bait. If others have wised up animals by setting inferior cage traps that get sprung or that result in escapes that can be an issue also, but changing to a foothold, snare or conibear is a simple cure, perhaps even going to a wire trigger cage trap as opposed to a pan cage trap or simply going to a larger cage trap. This is pretty basic simple common sense stuff that requires no testing and works very well. Having caught nearly 1400 beaver in swim through cages in 10 years I know how effective they are and how few times beaver avoid them. Like conibears, on occasion the odd one will not enter a cage, probably because he got hit by a conibear or saw other beaver caught in conibears during the fur season. I have sometimes caught 6 or 8 beaver in cages in a couple of days then found the last one afraid to enter the cage, a simple association from seeing others caught. A different trap often makes the catch first night. I found that the traps and sets I had for otter were super effective when the ice was on, but not so good in warm weather. It wasn't the trap. It wasn't the set. It was the time of year. There was nothing wrong with what I was doing and no magic, just timing. Lots of variables to evaluate and understand and to put into proper perspective, which comes from just getting out there and doing it, experience. Red fox and coyotes just don't like cages, confinement. I've yet to see anyone show photos of a hundred caged canines and doubt that I will no matter what the cage. Anything that can be completely camouflaged or hidden is a winner with the odd educated animals. Raccoon are the wild card. Once released they can be tough. Changing from a pan to a wire trigger cage or other deice will go a long way to bring closure. There are way too few animals presenting far too few problems accompanied by far too many success stories to look for problems that don't exist. Sometimes it takes that rare commodity to succeed, common sense.

Re: Magnetic field in cage traps help me Kirk [Re: WileyKiller] #6953820
08/04/20 12:20 PM
08/04/20 12:20 PM
Ontario
K
Kermit Offline
trapper
Kermit  Offline
trapper
K

Ontario
So if you get a trap shy there are nineteen reasons why its trap shy. Ok. Changing traps one way of dealing with it. OK Shape of trap, presentation, are a factor, emitting field is not a factor. OK. I understand. Personally I will keep an open mind, and prove or disprove it to myself

Re: Magnetic field in cage traps help me Kirk [Re: Jim Comstock] #6953825
08/04/20 12:25 PM
08/04/20 12:25 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Originally Posted by Jim Comstock
I guess this should be quantified, addressed by individual species. A great deal of this basically has no relevance, probably most of it, as problems in trapping are related to the specific intelligence of the individual species and to the function of the devices used, the most important issues in trapping. Anyone after reading the above who is now thinking OMG what am I doing wrong, now I have to get all new equipment, forget it, no need to change. I test daily in the field as I have for the past 55 years. I set a trap and catch an animal, test over. Skunks, Opossum, woodchucks, armadillos and others for starters are pretty much stupid, will go into any cage any time, even the off brands. Just about everything works to some degree. There really are pretty much no issues with these animals. The only time you might have trouble is if animals have been caged and released, but even then, not always. There was a local ADC guy who released a bunch of chucks in a cemetery behind his rental home. After he moved on I got the call and caught them all, no problem. Never had even one digger as I used positive sets, no bait. If others have wised up animals by setting inferior cage traps that get sprung or that result in escapes that can be an issue also, but changing to a foothold, snare or conibear is a simple cure, perhaps even going to a wire trigger cage trap as opposed to a pan cage trap or simply going to a larger cage trap. This is pretty basic simple common sense stuff that requires no testing and works very well. Having caught nearly 1400 beaver in swim through cages in 10 years I know how effective they are and how few times beaver avoid them. Like conibears, on occasion the odd one will not enter a cage, probably because he got hit by a conibear or saw other beaver caught in conibears during the fur season. I have sometimes caught 6 or 8 beaver in cages in a couple of days then found the last one afraid to enter the cage, a simple association from seeing others caught. A different trap often makes the catch first night. I found that the traps and sets I had for otter were super effective when the ice was on, but not so good in warm weather. It wasn't the trap. It wasn't the set. It was the time of year. There was nothing wrong with what I was doing and no magic, just timing. Lots of variables to evaluate and understand and to put into proper perspective, which comes from just getting out there and doing it, experience. Red fox and coyotes just don't like cages, confinement. I've yet to see anyone show photos of a hundred caged canines and doubt that I will no matter what the cage. Anything that can be completely camouflaged or hidden is a winner with the odd educated animals. Raccoon are the wild card. Once released they can be tough. Changing from a pan to a wire trigger cage or other deice will go a long way to bring closure. There are way too few animals presenting far too few problems accompanied by far too many success stories to look for problems that don't exist. Sometimes it takes that rare commodity to succeed, common sense.

Everything that I’ve written can be proven scientifically.

Re: Magnetic field in cage traps help me Kirk [Re: WileyKiller] #6953859
08/04/20 01:41 PM
08/04/20 01:41 PM

C
Cysquatch
Unregistered
Cysquatch
Unregistered
C

This is a very interesting idea. How are you testing the magnetic field of the traps? What did you use for a control? Ambient temperature of the area where you were testing these traps? I have about a million questions. I'll start with these.

Re: Magnetic field in cage traps help me Kirk [Re: ] #6953955
08/04/20 04:00 PM
08/04/20 04:00 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
[quote=Cysquatch]This is a very interesting idea. How are you testing the magnetic field of the traps? What did you use for a control? Ambient temperature of the area where you were testing these traps? I have about a million questions. I'll start with these.[/quote

It is best to go back and look through the post that I made over the past year on trapperman that concern magnetic fields. Whatever information you can’t get there should be able to receive it in my book. You should be able to have enough information on what I posted to answer your questions. As far as a control user whatever, the easiest way to confirm the basics of what I said is to use a trap that has a reduced magnetic field going through the trap or use at least two traps that way and two traps that have a high intensity magnetic field going through the trap. Set the four traps at least 15 to 20 locations or beaver haven’t been trapped or some could’ve been trapped.The more animals the better. Make land sets and shallowater sets.You can make underwater sets with the same trap but water is dielectric and would hide the magnetic field to keep you from being able prove what you’re trying to prove. After 3 to 4 weeks of trapping you will despise and hate one trap over the other. You’ll get to where you don’t even want to take the trap out to see. Using a variety of different traps that have the magnetic fields as I described. This would be even better

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread