Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Finding otter sign/ toilets #6980359
09/01/20 07:40 PM
09/01/20 07:40 PM
Ohio, USA
Ave Offline OP
trapper
Ave  Offline OP
trapper

Ohio, USA
Hey guys, I’m wondering how you guys go about finding otter sign or toilets? I’ve heard there are certain spots or features to look for? Also, I have permission to trap a spot that’s a couple hours south of me. Normally I do all my scouting in fall right before season, but I don’t go down there often, except on a weekly Trapping trip in late winter. Could I do some scouting now or would I be wasting time? I know that scouting for beaver in late summer is hard to do, are otters different? Thanks!!

Ave don't go where the beaver don't flow
Re: Finding otter sign/ toilets [Re: Ave] #6980373
09/01/20 07:49 PM
09/01/20 07:49 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Otter is one animal that I dont necessarily set on sign.
If you have good habitat for otter,which is generally created by beaver,then they will be there.otter are predictable in their travels,so locate pinch points in beaver habitat and you will catch plenty of otter.
Dont expect catches overnight.
That said otters have well used trails that they follow each time thru.
If you have culverts,look for dry land crossovers on the banks each side of the culvert.-they often prefer to cross on land than swim thru culverts,but you can catch them at culverts also.Set everything.
They also make trails at oxbows to take the shortest route.They may have several crossovers on beaver dams both old and active besides the main crossover.
Beaver channels both old and active produce otter as do sets in old beaver house entrances.
Google earth will help you locate good spots for sets on ditches and creeks.Look for creeks that connect lakes,ponds etc with a bigger river,other lakes etc,same with ditches.If they dead end they are poor choice for an otter set.
One other thing-gang set for otter,they often travel in family groups.
Once you learn to catch otter you have to be careful not to clean them all out.A few well located sets will take every otter on a watershed.
Big difference between scouting beaver and otter is that once located beaver will stay in the same general area.In winter they are confined to the pond and usually the house and feedbed.
Otter roam over great distances relative to beaver but are predictable when they show up.

Last edited by Boco; 09/01/20 08:07 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Finding otter sign/ toilets [Re: Ave] #6980382
09/01/20 07:52 PM
09/01/20 07:52 PM
Burton, Michigan
M
Mousey Trapper Offline
trapper
Mousey Trapper  Offline
trapper
M

Burton, Michigan
Call me, Mousey Trapper.

Re: Finding otter sign/ toilets [Re: Ave] #6980452
09/01/20 08:49 PM
09/01/20 08:49 PM
KY
A
AnthonyT Offline
trapper
AnthonyT  Offline
trapper
A

KY
Like Boco said, no need to set on sign for otter. Any channel that connects two bodies of water will have otter traveling it. They tend to crossover the road at culverts. They will swim between any obstruction and the bank. The good old bottom edge set will nail them. If it is a good location and there is room I always set 2-4 traps as you can get multiples. Otter are not hard to catch but I think a lot of people just don't let the traps set long enough. It might be days before you see any action. If a storm front moves through the otter will move. My best otter catches always come on the nights the rain hits.

Re: Finding otter sign/ toilets [Re: Ave] #6980464
09/01/20 09:00 PM
09/01/20 09:00 PM
100 Mile House, BC Can
bctomcat Offline
trapper
bctomcat  Offline
trapper

100 Mile House, BC Can
Don't waste your time looking for otter toilets, if you find them great. But, your best success will be achieved by following "Boco"s" advice.

The only constant in trapping is change so keep learning.

Re: Finding otter sign/ toilets [Re: Ave] #6989055
09/12/20 10:33 PM
09/12/20 10:33 PM
lewis county,new york
N
newfox1 Offline
trapper
newfox1  Offline
trapper
N

lewis county,new york
A high bank with softwood trees near the waters edge is a good place to look for toilets.

Re: Finding otter sign/ toilets [Re: newfox1] #6989170
09/13/20 07:06 AM
09/13/20 07:06 AM
Port Republic South Jersey
N
Newt Offline
trapper
Newt  Offline
trapper
N

Port Republic South Jersey
Originally Posted by newfox1
A high bank with softwood trees near the waters edge is a good place to look for toilets.

I would change that to evergreens

Faceing up stream .look for evergreens on the right side.

South Jersey Trapping and Snaring School
January 19-20-21 2024
NEWT -----------------OVER----------------

www.snareone.com
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91