Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Bait meat - geography specific?? [Re: btomlin] #6980221
09/01/20 05:12 PM
09/01/20 05:12 PM
Pottsboro TX Grayson county
J
Jiggamitch Offline
trapper
Jiggamitch  Offline
trapper
J

Pottsboro TX Grayson county
Every time I throw a beaver out in the field, its gone by morning. The coyotes here love em.

Re: Bait meat - geography specific?? [Re: btomlin] #6980228
09/01/20 05:29 PM
09/01/20 05:29 PM
Southern Michigan
T
trappergbus Offline
trapper
trappergbus  Offline
trapper
T

Southern Michigan
I'm a lure guy, reason? a well formulated lure contains all the triggers and exploits their natural instincts.

Common sense catches alot of fur..
Pay homage to all you harvest..
Re: Bait meat - geography specific?? [Re: Yes sir] #6980398
09/01/20 07:59 PM
09/01/20 07:59 PM
SD
Boone Liane Offline
trapper
Boone Liane  Offline
trapper

SD
Originally Posted by Yes sir
Boone
I ask because I trust your experience and knowledge with coyotes, when you rank bobcat as #3, are basing that off of it in a finished formulation or off its attractiveness by itself, or both?
Thanks

Based off just the meat in its pure form.

I figure if it’s meat they’re used to eating or want to eat, than I can’t hardly screw it up in a prepared bait or lure.

Which has always perplexed me on how effective horse has always been. I can’t imagine many coyotes out there have actually had the opportunity to eat horse, so it has to have a very alluring smell to make it so effective.

Same goes for bobcats. Especially for coyotes that have never seen or smelled a bobcat.

Deer on the other hand, is a mainstay for many coyotes. They’re used to it, raised on it, etc. I can drag a deer and a cow into the same spot and as long as I can keep em in deer at that spot, the cow will melt away.

Last edited by Boone Liane; 09/01/20 08:00 PM.
Re: Bait meat - geography specific?? [Re: btomlin] #6980476
09/01/20 09:12 PM
09/01/20 09:12 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Thanks for your response. Ive used your bait and lure and I bet you dont screw too many formulations up.

Re: Bait meat - geography specific?? [Re: btomlin] #6981181
09/02/20 06:58 PM
09/02/20 06:58 PM
Oregon
S
ScottPhillips Offline
trapper
ScottPhillips  Offline
trapper
S

Oregon
How many predators road hunt and how many deer are consumed along the highway?

Scott

See Us on Facebook: Northwestpredatorandwildlifecontrol

Re: Bait meat - geography specific?? [Re: ScottPhillips] #6981677
09/03/20 10:18 AM
09/03/20 10:18 AM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
Originally Posted by ScottPhillips
How many predators road hunt and how many deer are consumed along the highway?

Scott

A lot of them.
I've always said that 'deer' is the best 'natural' bait for trapping canines in winter conditions.
It is for snaring anyway !
Especially when it is used in bulk.
Here groundhog works very well, as does skunk rendered down.
I personally haven't had great success using beaver, ground or otherwise, on coyotes or foxes. although it does seem to have an attraction to bobcats.

Re: Bait meat - geography specific?? [Re: btomlin] #6982067
09/03/20 07:25 PM
09/03/20 07:25 PM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
I'm going to try some deer meat with nothing else this year. It sure is a staple around here. They definitely tear down the deer here and quickly. While not exactly natural the one meat I haven't seen mentioned is pork. At least here in Nebraska the hog lots are a draw for coyotes for miles. I've seen where they've dug down 2-3 feet in compost piles and drug whole hogs out to eat every night before here. I used straight pork liver as a base and man it can really get the coyotes going. Prepared baits are just simpler/cheaper than me messing around with things anymore. I really do want to try straight deer specifically right after our deer season when it becomes a staple for our predators.

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Re: Bait meat - geography specific?? [Re: btomlin] #6982189
09/03/20 10:04 PM
09/03/20 10:04 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Out of the 33 coyotes we caught and collared 8 of them were road killed when they were working road killed deer.

In my opinion muskrat Is what's on every ones menu when It comes to wild critters. Even muskrats.

Last edited by The Beav; 09/03/20 10:04 PM.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Bait meat - geography specific?? [Re: btomlin] #6982302
09/04/20 07:15 AM
09/04/20 07:15 AM
Pennsylvania
H
Hern Offline
trapper
Hern  Offline
trapper
H

Pennsylvania
Agree with ScottPhillips & LT GREY
I use Deer meat in my area.

I get 'Deer Dust' from local processor (for Free). Deer Dust is the meat dust from band saw. It's garbage to the processor. It's gold to me.
Ready to use, Free, no skinning, chopping or grinding.
Used fresh or mixed with non-freezing agent or mixed with enticing ingredient(s).

Deer Dust, fresh, nothing added-
[Linked Image]

Canines have to work set longer to get every morsel or crumb.

Re: Bait meat - geography specific?? [Re: btomlin] #7042275
11/08/20 07:53 AM
11/08/20 07:53 AM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline
trapper
jabNE  Offline
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
Hern that is a fantastic idea.
Jim

Wade, ive been using pork trimmings for a long time. Instead of buying pork chops we buy whole loins and cut/process our own chops. I trim all the fat and save the trimmings. Either fresh frozen, or a little canning salt and cube the fat trimmings to about 2" pieces. Its been a great bait for dirtholes around here.
Neighbor guy processes his own deer and saves a bucket of trimmings for me too. Nothing beats deer around here as you are well aware.
Jim

Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can buy you a trapping license and that's pretty close.
Re: Bait meat - geography specific?? [Re: btomlin] #7042567
11/08/20 01:35 PM
11/08/20 01:35 PM
Northern Nevada
B
Bob Offline
trapper
Bob  Offline
trapper
B

Northern Nevada
I think that horse is the best meat option for canines. Horses are everywhere in this country, either wild or domestic, so it’s familiar to most critters. Economically you can’t find cheaper meat, unless you’re getting free scraps like some have said. You can go to any auction house and get an 800-1000 pound horse for almost nothing. I’ve seen em go for as little as ten bucks. I’ve had great luck with horse meat on coyotes and fox in Montana and in Nevada.

"I have two guns, one for each of ya."
Re: Bait meat - geography specific?? [Re: The Beav] #7042569
11/08/20 01:37 PM
11/08/20 01:37 PM
Northern Nevada
B
Bob Offline
trapper
Bob  Offline
trapper
B

Northern Nevada
Originally Posted by The Beav
Out of the 33 coyotes we caught and collared 8 of them were road killed when they were working road killed deer.

In my opinion muskrat Is what's on every ones menu when It comes to wild critters. Even muskrats.

I’m going to test that. Around here there are areas where there isn’t a muskrat within 200 miles, if muskrat and beaver works there it would really debunk the geographical relevance theory.

"I have two guns, one for each of ya."
Re: Bait meat - geography specific?? [Re: btomlin] #7042878
11/08/20 06:52 PM
11/08/20 06:52 PM
Wasilla AK
HFT AK Offline
trapper
HFT AK  Offline
trapper

Wasilla AK
I believe every area is different and it never hurts to try something different. I grew up in PA and trapped on a farm that had hogs and sheep. The fox and yote wouldn't touch a hog but would devour the sheep. Up here in AK it is the total opposite, for me anyhow.
The same holds true with skunk. Down in the lower 48 there are many lures that have skunk in it for the fox and yote and many people connect with those lures, up here I have had just the opposite experience, they smell skunk do a 180 and haul butt.
Nothing ventured nothing gained. Hope you connect!

Re: Bait meat - geography specific?? [Re: Boone Liane] #7043030
11/08/20 08:49 PM
11/08/20 08:49 PM
New Mexico
T
Tdub Offline
trapper
Tdub  Offline
trapper
T

New Mexico
Originally Posted by Boone Liane
Originally Posted by Yes sir
Boone
I ask because I trust your experience and knowledge with coyotes, when you rank bobcat as #3, are basing that off of it in a finished formulation or off its attractiveness by itself, or both?
Thanks

Based off just the meat in its pure form.

I figure if it’s meat they’re used to eating or want to eat, than I can’t hardly screw it up in a prepared bait or lure.

Which has always perplexed me on how effective horse has always been. I can’t imagine many coyotes out there have actually had the opportunity to eat horse, so it has to have a very alluring smell to make it so effective.

Same goes for bobcats. Especially for coyotes that have never seen or smelled a bobcat.

Deer on the other hand, is a mainstay for many coyotes. They’re used to it, raised on it, etc. I can drag a deer and a cow into the same spot and as long as I can keep em in deer at that spot, the cow will melt away.

This comment should be etched in the trapping gospel/bible. Horse meat hands down catches coyotes. Bobcat is the same, but it is perplexing how effective horse meat is. I do have 5 gallons of (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) meat that I can't wait to get out this year. Will be interesting to see how the coyotes react to it.

Re: Bait meat - geography specific?? [Re: WadeRyan] #7043228
11/08/20 11:28 PM
11/08/20 11:28 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Originally Posted by WadeRyan
I'm going to try some deer meat with nothing else this year. It sure is a staple around here. They definitely tear down the deer here and quickly. While not exactly natural the one meat I haven't seen mentioned is pork. At least here in Nebraska the hog lots are a draw for coyotes for miles. I've seen where they've dug down 2-3 feet in compost piles and drug whole hogs out to eat every night before here. I used straight pork liver as a base and man it can really get the coyotes going. Prepared baits are just simpler/cheaper than me messing around with things anymore. I really do want to try straight deer specifically right after our deer season when it becomes a staple for our predators.

Thats interesting. We have way too many wild hogs here and you’d think they’d be a staple of coyotes diet, but based on hogs we’ve killed and dumped with a camera on them, all we get are buzzards and an occasional hawk. A deer however will be picked clean by coyotes in less than 24hrs in some places. Of course I don’t get to trap those places, lol.

Re: Bait meat - geography specific?? [Re: btomlin] #7044271
11/09/20 10:30 PM
11/09/20 10:30 PM
USA
C
Coyotero7 Offline
trapper
Coyotero7  Offline
trapper
C

USA
Quick test for you to run on a bait base: Take that meat base and throw it out to your dog. If he eats it immediately, it's probably a great bait that would work for other canines.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91