Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Better approach for fisher? #7076732
12/06/20 06:03 PM
12/06/20 06:03 PM
PA
woodchuck Offline OP
trapper
woodchuck  Offline OP
trapper

PA
This is just one of the videos over a 10 day period.(guess it won't download as a video but the pic. shows its nose just as it goes to the pan area)
Here in PA body grips can't be used out of a watercourse so that is out for any answer as this is not around any waterway.
I'm trying to just target fisher. In just over 1/2 of the videos over a 10 day period the fisher's nose goes to where the pan would be first so figure the trap may be triggered that way. The cubbies I made up quick and are in areas where have fisher videos over last winter and spring. I put a piece across the front figuring that would make the fisher step over first. Seems it might not always be the case. Wondering if possibly removing that piece so the trap is just set into a notched area might reduce that? (cubbies are roughly 18"X6.5"X6.5"...foothold shouldn't matter for opening but for reference if using a body grip PA limits the enterance to 50 sq. inches) with back 4" wired off so the bait would set behind it.)
Don't know if this would be causing it to happen but have the bait set in front of the wire so the fisher could get to it and hopefully keep it interested. Have sets of 2 of these about 1/4 mile apart and both are being hit. May put a dirt hole close by but like said want to limit it to just fisher (bucket list thing). Dogs are not a real problem but do sometimes run thru the area hence the sets up leaning logs, etc.

11-2-20 fisher.jpg
Last edited by woodchuck; 12/06/20 06:05 PM.
Re: Better approach for fisher? [Re: woodchuck] #7076761
12/06/20 06:22 PM
12/06/20 06:22 PM
Burton, Michigan
M
Mousey Trapper Offline
trapper
Mousey Trapper  Offline
trapper
M

Burton, Michigan
Put hardware cloth on the back end of your box so the fisher can see through it. Check your mail box.

Re: Better approach for fisher? [Re: woodchuck] #7076783
12/06/20 06:41 PM
12/06/20 06:41 PM
Pennsylvania
P
patrapperbuster Offline
trapper
patrapperbuster  Offline
trapper
P

Pennsylvania
woodchuck To avoid dogs sounds fine. Foothold just inside step of box will work. You'll still get coon & opossum though. lol

Till that day.....
Re: Better approach for fisher? [Re: Mousey Trapper] #7077277
12/06/20 10:41 PM
12/06/20 10:41 PM
PA
woodchuck Offline OP
trapper
woodchuck  Offline OP
trapper

PA
Thanks, back does have a 3"X3" opening covered with screening, several of the videos have him then climbing over the cubby to the back.

Re: Better approach for fisher? [Re: woodchuck] #7077560
12/07/20 02:14 AM
12/07/20 02:14 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I dont get it-what are you trying to do catch a fisher with a foothold set in an elevated box??
If so,fill the box with bait then chop a notch in the log to bed the trap(where the fishers feet are in the pic) to set the trap on.
Better check your regs most places its illegal to set footholds in trees.

Last edited by Boco; 12/07/20 02:19 AM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Better approach for fisher? [Re: Boco] #7077795
12/07/20 09:50 AM
12/07/20 09:50 AM
PA
woodchuck Offline OP
trapper
woodchuck  Offline OP
trapper

PA
Originally Posted by Boco
I dont get it-what are you trying to do catch a fisher with a foothold set in an elevated box??
If so,fill the box with bait then chop a notch in the log to bed the trap(where the fishers feet are in the pic) to set the trap on.
Better check your regs most places its illegal to set footholds in trees.

Yes to catching a fisher with a foothold in an elevated box. Reason(s) are to better the chances of not catching dogs and/or reducing the chance for other animals, lessen the chance of snow putting the trap out of commision (CHRISTmas 3 years ago had 3' of snow that day), cover from freezing rain we constantly get and restrict the approach (different videos have them getting onto logs even though no trees in close, close enough to just get onto like would normally expect...following tracks once in the snow measured 7' between tracks from ground onto a fallen log) for just a few reasons.
Reading the PA regulations book there is no mention of elevation (trees) of footholds.
Thanks for the advice though. Will try getting an answer from the local PGC. I know the answer can also be interpreted differently by the PGC officer in different Wildlife Management Units (WMU's).
Like said may put some dirt holes in but for this year am only setting for fisher and beaver.
Think that is the majority that comes to mind real quick.

Edit. Contacted PGC (Pennsylvania Game Commision) for my district and after they couldn't understand it was for a foothold and not body grip (they kept repeating what is said for bodygrip and kept telling them foothold) they finally transfered me to the head guy. He said yes setting in a tree (told him leaning pole about 4' up) was legal along with no restriction to being 50 sq. inch opening.

Last edited by woodchuck; 12/07/20 04:00 PM.
Re: Better approach for fisher? [Re: woodchuck] #7078224
12/07/20 04:29 PM
12/07/20 04:29 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
If I read correctly you could use a cubby less then 50 square inches with a trap recessed 4 inches? Is that correct or not? If yes why not do that. A fisher will stick its head in a 120 size trap easily. If not legal my bad.
Also if it were me and you were sticking with footholds why not have the bottom board about 12 inches longer than the cubby and put some of that 1 inch foam insulation down and cut the shape to fit the trap. You could camo that up with stuff if desired. A concern for me would be having a live fisher dangling off the running pole swinging in the trap. To me that is not a good situation and it would also attract a lot of other animals, man included.

Bryce

Re: Better approach for fisher? [Re: woodchuck] #7078237
12/07/20 04:40 PM
12/07/20 04:40 PM
nwpa
F
furstroker Offline
trapper
furstroker  Offline
trapper
F

nwpa
Youre gonna have a live foot caught animal dangling, flailing, and flopping from a tree? Not sure if the pgc guy was correct on that, and dont care, its doesnt look good. Animals caught on ground tend to relax and hide, but while hanging...not so much, and then its elevated for other
predators with no way to fight back, or worse some anti sees it and then
who knows...

Last edited by furstroker; 12/07/20 04:41 PM.
Re: Better approach for fisher? [Re: woodchuck] #7078251
12/07/20 05:03 PM
12/07/20 05:03 PM
PA
P
PAskinner Offline
trapper
PAskinner  Offline
trapper
P

PA
It's illegal to have an animal hanging in a foothold trap, I'm fairly sure. So if you are gonna do that, I'd make sure he could get on the ground. I thought about something similar for coon once in a place with dogs. Gave up on it as too complicated. If dogs are not a big problem, I'd just put the cubby on the ground and take what comes.

Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before.
Re: Better approach for fisher? [Re: PAskinner] #7078468
12/07/20 07:38 PM
12/07/20 07:38 PM
Pennsylvania
P
patrapperbuster Offline
trapper
patrapperbuster  Offline
trapper
P

Pennsylvania
The 50 sq inch opening only applies when using a conibear type trap. Footholds can have any size opening for a box or cubby. For coon or fisher a coni box must also have trigger of trap recessed 7" min. into box 7 must be set in a waterway (below HIGH water line). Footholds can be land or water of course. Mink & muskrat with 110's are more lax with the laws

Till that day.....
Re: Better approach for fisher? [Re: woodchuck] #7078662
12/07/20 09:24 PM
12/07/20 09:24 PM
central Haudenosaunee, the De...
W
white marlin Offline
trapper
white marlin  Offline
trapper
W

central Haudenosaunee, the De...