Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Cat glands #7126611
01/08/21 09:48 AM
01/08/21 09:48 AM
Maine
J
Jonnytrapper Offline OP
trapper
Jonnytrapper  Offline OP
trapper
J

Maine
I got a couple cats this year and saved the glands and about 6" of intestines. One is full of turds. I also saved all the meat (minus the back straps) for bait. What's a good way to utilize these parts?

I also have other ingredients
Castor
BTO
Beaver oil
Some weasel and mink glands
Skunk quill

Re: Cat glands [Re: Jonnytrapper] #7129481
01/10/21 08:29 AM
01/10/21 08:29 AM
Eastern N.C.
B
Bob LaRue Offline
trapper
Bob LaRue  Offline
trapper
B

Eastern N.C.
A recipe for cat meat bait floating around is 1 teaspoon of castor to 1 quart of ground bobcat meat, enough cat glands to make it smell catty & then spike it with 1-2 drops of quill.

The way I would mix it is about 3/4 a quart meat in a quart mason jar(gives heads space for stirring & fermenting) add half a teaspoon of castor & stir it up, over the course of a couple days stir, smell & check if needing to add more castor. Then add in the cat glands to give it a catty smell once again stiring & checking. Hit it with some s.b. or m.p. to preserve it.(you may have to add this earlier depending on temperature, I like a little taint in this). Then hit it with the quill.

The way I save my cat glands is shoot the first cat of the year in hopes of having a full bladder. Put the cat glands in a container with the bladder & urine having enough urine to cover the glands. This can age for years if you want. If you have mold issues add m.p.

I would strip out the cat poo & put it in a ziplock for use at a set.

Did you save your drained oil sacks? I rot mine down, you could also salt them.
Hope this helps!

Re: Cat glands [Re: Jonnytrapper] #7129733
01/10/21 11:15 AM
01/10/21 11:15 AM
Maine
J
Jonnytrapper Offline OP
trapper
Jonnytrapper  Offline OP
trapper
J

Maine
Thank you! I do save the sacs. I have not tried rotting them down. I usually grind them up into paste and use it in dirt holes if I need to change up lure. I didn't think to save the bladders or check for urine but that's something I will be doing in the future.

Re: Cat glands [Re: Bob LaRue] #7143983
01/18/21 11:15 PM
01/18/21 11:15 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
Originally Posted by Bob LaRue

I would strip out the cat poo & put it in a ziplock for use at a set.

Yeah, in my experience, that doesn't work as well as it does a fox or coyote, adding " poo " to a gland lure, for bobcats.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91