Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Trying to make coyote bait...need help #7140173
01/16/21 08:27 PM
01/16/21 08:27 PM
NC
S
SpellNC9 Offline OP
trapper
SpellNC9  Offline OP
trapper
S

NC
So I'm having a go at making some bait after reading a few posts/threads. I cut up some beaver and fox meat and put it in two mason jars. After I did this I realized I have beaver castor in the freezer from the last one I caught. So I shaved a little castor and put it in the bottom of each mason jar then the meat on top of that. My question is: Was it a mistake to put the castor in there if I'm trying to trap coyotes and fox? I just put it outside so I can go and take it out if I need to.
Thank for any advise!

Re: Trying to make coyote bait...need help [Re: SpellNC9] #7140179
01/16/21 08:30 PM
01/16/21 08:30 PM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Eastern Shore of Maryland
Fun, ain’t it?

-Goofy-
Re: Trying to make coyote bait...need help [Re: SpellNC9] #7140724
01/17/21 08:18 AM
01/17/21 08:18 AM
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

W NY
Castor's a fine additive. I put tinctured castor in my bait formulas

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: Trying to make coyote bait...need help [Re: SpellNC9] #7140929
01/17/21 11:27 AM
01/17/21 11:27 AM
NC
S
SpellNC9 Offline OP
trapper
SpellNC9  Offline OP
trapper
S

NC
For coyotes?

Re: Trying to make coyote bait...need help [Re: SpellNC9] #7141097
01/17/21 01:35 PM
01/17/21 01:35 PM
Fingerlakes New York
robert.d12 Offline
trapper
robert.d12  Offline
trapper

Fingerlakes New York
Yes, just about all animals are attracted to castor. Coyotes definitely are

The beauty of the second amendment is it wont be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson
Re: Trying to make coyote bait...need help [Re: SpellNC9] #7141127
01/17/21 01:50 PM
01/17/21 01:50 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Originally Posted by SpellNC9
For coyotes?

For EVERYTHING !
Once you invest in some lure and bait making books, you’ll find castor in many many formulas and recipes.
Have you joined the free lure/bait making book club yet?
here's how,:
get several supply catalogs, circle what you want and need...like ALL the bait/lure making books you can find.
give catalogs to loved ones to buy your birthday, anniversary, Christmas, Easter, July 4 ...etc,......gifts, explaining to them, their money would be well spent on what you need/want/will use, as opposed to a sweater that will hang in the closet most of the year and not get used.
This system could also work getting glands and essential oils we use as well!
I could be the only guy that gets bobcat urine and muskrat or mink glands for gifts from lived ones.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Trying to make coyote bait...need help [Re: SpellNC9] #7143975
01/18/21 11:10 PM
01/18/21 11:10 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
In my experience, beaver and fox flesh has not produced a good coyote bait, regardless of what is put into it.
Even bobcat meat, without all the additives people add to it falls a little short.
If I were to choose one meat to make a bait out of, it would be 'deer' in some form or another.
If that is against some type of 'state law', then don't take my advice, but if not, get some !
Think about how much, (and it will boggle most people's minds) meat a deer processor throws away from a single deer.
Then (X's) times that several hundred, that most processors can do in a single season, if not more and you'll have more bait than you can ever use !
EVER !
The best bait for canines in WINTER conditions, IMO is deer, here, it's whitetail deer.
Think how long a wounded deer unfound last in the wild. . .
Not long.
And there's a reason for that.
Now if you want to spend the money to buy a 'bait solution' to preserve the flesh, by all means do it, yet I can tell you in most cases, it isn't needed.
Tainted, slightly tainted and even fresh will all work well, whether ground, chunked or cubed .
The problem you can run into is mold and mildew in warm , wet conditions
If you have those kind of conditions, do yourself a favor a get you a fist full of dry grass, (hay will work) and wrap it around your bait and toss it down a 'hole set'.
The odor will get out, just make sure your hole is deep enough to not let a canine, 'coon or 'cat be able to steal the bait.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91