No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: unwanted plant/bush removal [Re: vermontster] #7148970
01/21/21 11:37 PM
01/21/21 11:37 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
Round up + 1/10 diesel fuel takes out all the crap

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: unwanted plant/bush removal [Re: vermontster] #7185651
02/16/21 09:24 PM
02/16/21 09:24 PM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
Has anyone been eradicating buckthorn this winter? I'm pretty sure garlon is design for +28°.

WTA Member
Re: unwanted plant/bush removal [Re: vermontster] #7185676
02/16/21 09:35 PM
02/16/21 09:35 PM
West Virginia
C
Choo Offline
trapper
Choo  Offline
trapper
C

West Virginia
It may be barberry, it's an ornamental that went wild. We have it down here I'm sure you probably have it up in that country. Birds love the seed and spread it like crazy

Re: unwanted plant/bush removal [Re: vermontster] #7185713
02/16/21 09:58 PM
02/16/21 09:58 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
trapper
Yes sir  Offline
trapper
Y

Marion Kansas
For harder killing woody species I have considerable better luck spraying the whole plant than cutting and treating the stump. Treating the stump doesn't take as much chemical into the roots and some stubborn species regrow about a hundred shoots from the roots then it take years of spraying the shoots to get the roots killed. Just food for thought. And we spent a couple weeks each year spraying trees and brush.

Re: unwanted plant/bush removal [Re: Yes sir] #7185743
02/16/21 10:43 PM
02/16/21 10:43 PM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Yes sir
For harder killing woody species I have considerable better luck spraying the whole plant than cutting and treating the stump. Treating the stump doesn't take as much chemical into the roots and some stubborn species regrow about a hundred shoots from the roots then it take years of spraying the shoots to get the roots killed. Just food for thought. And we spent a couple weeks each year spraying trees and brush.

This has not been my experience. Are you treating the root collar too, because that is suggested with garlon. I cut stump garlon all the time for buckthorn and it's dead as dead. Much safer and less expensive than your method (not as fast though). It's important not to treat the stump in the spring when sap is flowing up.
I cut the stump very low to the ground.

Last edited by AJE; 02/16/21 10:48 PM.

WTA Member
Re: unwanted plant/bush removal [Re: vermontster] #7186349
02/17/21 12:48 PM
02/17/21 12:48 PM
SE Iowa USA
A
AKAjust Offline
trapper
AKAjust  Offline
trapper
A

SE Iowa USA
Cut the bushes off slightly above ground and
Brush Tordon on where you cut the bush.
Roundup doesn't work on woody plants.
just

Re: unwanted plant/bush removal [Re: vermontster] #7186404
02/17/21 01:26 PM
02/17/21 01:26 PM
new york
M
mike mason Offline
trapper
mike mason  Offline
trapper
M

new york
cut and apply glyphosate to the fresh stump.

Re: unwanted plant/bush removal [Re: AJE] #7186409
02/17/21 01:28 PM
02/17/21 01:28 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
trapper
Yes sir  Offline
trapper
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by AJE
Originally Posted by Yes sir

This has not been my experience. Are you treating the root collar too, because that is suggested with garlon. I cut stump garlon all the time for buckthorn and it's dead as dead. Much safer and less expensive than your method (not as fast though). It's important not to treat the stump in the spring when sap is flowing up.
I cut the stump very low to the ground.

Maybe different species

Re: unwanted plant/bush removal [Re: countrygun] #7186516
02/17/21 02:55 PM
02/17/21 02:55 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted by countrygun
Prickly Ash bark has more value pound for pound than a coon hide. There is always a market for it.

Tell me where I can sell it. I'll be a millionaire!
Saying it has more value pound for pound than a coon hide doesn't make it worth much. grin

Dear Algebra, Please stop asking us to find your X. She's never coming back and don't ask Y.
Re: unwanted plant/bush removal [Re: Trapper7] #7186592
02/17/21 03:43 PM
02/17/21 03:43 PM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
Originally Posted by Trapper7
. Prickly Ash is much easier to kill than the buckthorn. Both are an unwanted invasive species.

Prickly Ash is not an invasive specie.

Its a native and atho you may not like its throns it does serve as host to 2 swallow tail butterflies.

Op's bush is Barberry.

Barberry and Honeysuckle are both Invasive non-natives.

Killing is best done by cutting down and treating stump with glyphosate.
I use an approx 25% glyphosate mix with water.
You have to treat right after cutting.
Honeysuckle is very sensitive to glyphosate.

Don't spray the foliage, you'll get drift and kill everything else that it lands on.

Always best to target unwanted plant only and use as little herbicide as possible while effectively killing only the unwanted plant..

Trouble with round up is the concentration levels are all over the place. Look at the ingredients, what's important is the percent of glyphosate in the mix.
If its less than what you want, say 25%, its a waste of time and money.

I buy Gordon's Big N' Tuf. Its a 41% glyphosate mix. Its much cheaper than Round-up.

Re: unwanted plant/bush removal [Re: Dirty D] #7187754
02/18/21 10:45 AM
02/18/21 10:45 AM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted by Dirty D
Originally Posted by Trapper7
. Prickly Ash is much easier to kill than the buckthorn. Both are an unwanted invasive species.

Prickly Ash is not an invasive specie.

Its a native and atho you may not like its throns it does serve as host to 2 swallow tail butterflies.

Op's bush is Barberry.

Barberry and Honeysuckle are both Invasive non-natives.

Killing is best done by cutting down and treating stump with glyphosate.
I use an approx 25% glyphosate mix with water.
You have to treat right after cutting.
Honeysuckle is very sensitive to glyphosate.

Don't spray the foliage, you'll get drift and kill everything else that it lands on.

Always best to target unwanted plant only and use as little herbicide as possible while effectively killing only the unwanted plant..

Trouble with round up is the concentration levels are all over the place. Look at the ingredients, what's important is the percent of glyphosate in the mix.
If its less than what you want, say 25%, its a waste of time and money.

I buy Gordon's Big N' Tuf. Its a 41% glyphosate mix. Its much cheaper than Round-up.

Round Up won't kill buckthorn and isn't very effective on prickly ash unless you use the concentrate undiluted. To kill both of these plants, I use Crossbow concentrate on the stumps. The swallow tails will have to find another host in my woods.

Dear Algebra, Please stop asking us to find your X. She's never coming back and don't ask Y.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread