Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Trapping Methods: Times have Changed #7175176
02/09/21 01:13 PM
02/09/21 01:13 PM
Maine
A
andrews1958 Offline OP
trapper
andrews1958  Offline OP
trapper
A

Maine
How did we go from meticulous sets when now it seems that we just throw a trap in the ground and to only make sure it is well bedded Back in the 70s when I first started trapping I would read in EJ Daily and other famous trappers at that time. These books would talk about how critical it was that you never ever touched your traps with your bare hands after they were dyed and waxed.Always wear gloves. A kneeling cloth. Dirt holes had specific directions on the placement of the trap. 9” back. 3” to the left and the covering of the trap was meticulous. It looked like a piece of art.

The new way of setting seems to catche just as many predators if not more than the old school sterilization/ surgical methods.

Re: Trapping Methods: Times have Changed [Re: andrews1958] #7175192
02/09/21 01:21 PM
02/09/21 01:21 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Mostly because some of that stuff was either BS or intentional disinformation.

Re: Trapping Methods: Times have Changed [Re: andrews1958] #7175254
02/09/21 02:05 PM
02/09/21 02:05 PM
GA
C
canebrake Offline
trapper
canebrake  Offline
trapper
C

GA
I always laugh about the "bare hands on traps" hogwash. Your human scent is all over the set as soon as you make it, so like it makes a difference whether or not you touched the trap with your bare hands.

I saw no difference when I quit worrying about that kind of stuff. As a matter of fact, I think my catches started improving.

Re: Trapping Methods: Times have Changed [Re: andrews1958] #7175282
02/09/21 02:58 PM
02/09/21 02:58 PM
S.E. Ohio
M
M.Magis Offline
trapper
M.Magis  Offline
trapper
M

S.E. Ohio
I remember being baffled as a kid reading about sifting away human prints and making artificial fox prints with one of these contraptions. Even then I couldn't convince myself critters were smart enough for that type of reasoning.
[Linked Image]

Re: Trapping Methods: Times have Changed [Re: andrews1958] #7175290
02/09/21 03:10 PM
02/09/21 03:10 PM
Nevadafornia
L
Lazarus Offline
trapper
Lazarus  Offline
trapper
L

Nevadafornia
While I agree trapping methods have certainly changed over the years, I think the obsession with cleanliness, etc. may have been, in some respects, a regional thing. In the intermountain west, many of the old timers set bare handed for coyotes, and didn't worry much about human odor, etc. I recall when my buddy and I gathered up our cat/coyote traps and started boiling them, my buddy's Uncle Charlie (and old wolfer from way back) came over to see what all the fuss was about. When we told him we were boiling our traps and then we were going to wax them, he laughed out loud and said he'd never heard of such a thing. I can cite to a dozen other old coyote trappers from the western states who all said the same thing.

Re: Trapping Methods: Times have Changed [Re: andrews1958] #7175315
02/09/21 03:27 PM
02/09/21 03:27 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
Ive always looked at dyeing and waxing traps as a way to protect your equipment not as a way to control human scent. Dips and paint help with camouflaging from human eyes.

It is human ignorance to believe we can beat a predator's (or a beaver's) nose. It simply cannot be done. Their nose tells them what was there and how long it has been gone.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Trapping Methods: Times have Changed [Re: andrews1958] #7175326
02/09/21 03:33 PM
02/09/21 03:33 PM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
I agree with Swamp Wolf. As far as techniques and equipment goes will even go as far as comparing trapping to fishing. Your not trying to catch the fish but the fishermen who are trying to catch the fish. Good equipment is important but there is a limit to how much stuff you need to catch a critter or two.

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Re: Trapping Methods: Times have Changed [Re: andrews1958] #7175331
02/09/21 03:40 PM
02/09/21 03:40 PM
NNY
080808 Offline
trapper
080808  Offline
trapper

NNY
As they say here’s one for the ages in Northern New York. Two guys trapped together as partners. When setting and checking they insisted on wearing a mask to control human scent. This was 50 yrs ago. Maybe they were getting ahead of the virus!
ps this was fox trapping.

Re: Trapping Methods: Times have Changed [Re: andrews1958] #7175949
02/09/21 11:58 PM
02/09/21 11:58 PM
tennessee
C
clintp1971 Offline
trapper
clintp1971  Offline
trapper
C

tennessee
I have read some writers that encourage you not to breathe on the set!!! That’s crazy, and for years people believed that stuff.

Re: Trapping Methods: Times have Changed [Re: clintp1971] #7175989
02/10/21 12:44 AM
02/10/21 12:44 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by clintp1971
I have read some writers that encourage you not to breathe on the set!!! That’s crazy, and for years people believed that stuff.

They still do. Look at all the sent elimination products and clothing that gets sold to deer hunters. Its obvious not many deer hunters are hounds men.

Re: Trapping Methods: Times have Changed [Re: andrews1958] #7176002
02/10/21 12:57 AM
02/10/21 12:57 AM
PA
F
Flint Lock Offline
trapper
Flint Lock  Offline
trapper
F

PA
Just think, for thousands of years people hunted and trapped, probably more efficiently than we do today, without scentlok suits, ozone treatments, rubber boots and gloves, etc.

Re: Trapping Methods: Times have Changed [Re: Providence Farm] #7176063
02/10/21 04:58 AM
02/10/21 04:58 AM
Qld Au
Rhino1 Offline
trapper
Rhino1  Offline
trapper

Qld Au
Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Originally Posted by clintp1971

They still do. Look at all the sent elimination products and clothing that gets sold to deer hunters. Its obvious not many deer hunters are hounds men.

If your upwind they are always going to will smell you.
Had a bowhunter with a few months experience recently telling me I need to buy a HECS suit so the deer can't sense my magnetic field!

"As far as I can tell, my place is right here..on the smart end of this rifle."
Re: Trapping Methods: Times have Changed [Re: andrews1958] #7176073
02/10/21 06:01 AM
02/10/21 06:01 AM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
O lord please don't start with the magnetic field talk......

Re: Trapping Methods: Times have Changed [Re: andrews1958] #7176077
02/10/21 06:16 AM
02/10/21 06:16 AM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Honestly what sells and looks better ? Tossing a trap in the ground and bedding it good ? Or doing a bunch a witch craft to catch a critter ? People seem to believe stuff more if there's alot more work going into it.

Had a guy ask me once how I caught some of the catfish I did ( some of these ponds where notorious for being hard to fish ) 13 yr old me shrugged and said I put a lil bluegill in a hook cast him near some cover and just let him free line till a cat hit. Guy refused to believe it was that easy talked all about needing stink bait, special this and that waiting till the wind dies so on so on. Seems to be the same with hunting fishing so on and so on.

If you read about what some of them wolfers did back in the day out west heck it's worse than what we do now. I remember reading about two guys in Oregon I think. They would just wire their trap to a rock drag ,bust a few p-dogs cut em in half , shove a half under the rock and bed a trap in front of it. That's it. Used a kneeling pad to avoid stickers I think .And they did like 600 yotes in a year if I remember correctly.

From most of my reading stuff like that in eastern trapping just wasn't a thing. It was alot of extra this and that witch craft tall tales and yadda yadda. And since those guys caught fur no one questioned it. And those who did and saw a easier way kept their mouths shut. I mean why tell your competition something that's going to make it easier for them to really compete ?

Re: Trapping Methods: Times have Changed [Re: andrews1958] #7176096
02/10/21 07:06 AM
02/10/21 07:06 AM
Pa
W
Wright Brothers Offline
trapper
Wright Brothers  Offline
trapper
W

Pa
Oldest trapper I've known dunked his traps in used motor oil.
I think he missed the meticulous era.

I still have them, older than the members here except for that one guy.
We have acidic soil and lots of moisture.
To not treat traps would mean replacing often.
But many here do that anyway.

I remember growing through the hocus pocus.
What a fox pee stinking mess lol.
But the book said so.

There are things many have learned scent and set wise,
the peanut gallery don't want to hear it so they keep to themselves.
The elders could teach if I shut up enough to learn.

Re: Trapping Methods: Times have Changed [Re: andrews1958] #7176207
02/10/21 09:08 AM
02/10/21 09:08 AM
U.P. Michigan
Spade Offline
trapper
Spade  Offline
trapper

U.P. Michigan
Yes, times have changed, but trappers like Daley, Thorpe, Hawbaker and Dobbins , and others have caught a lot of fur in their day. Where would we be as trappers if we didn't have them writing books, and giving up some of their secrets?

It would be real interesting to see what they would write today, knowing what we know now.

24 years Army Medical Corps

I only want to be known as:

A great husband, a good trapper, and a great steward of the land.
Re: Trapping Methods: Times have Changed [Re: andrews1958] #7176345
02/10/21 11:30 AM
02/10/21 11:30 AM
NE Neb.
F
FHSU_Wildman Offline
trapper
FHSU_Wildman  Offline
trapper
F

NE Neb.
A lot of the old methods about controlling sent, baits, lures, etc. I really think boiled down to an inability to actually statistically test their effectiveness. Just think about the process of testing a new lure. If you are testing it by placing it in a few locations with trail cameras, your first few nights might actually be random selection, but after that you have site fidelity that is going to make the encounter non-random, rendering it a biased sample. Once biased, you no longer have access to your parametric tests, leaving you with non-parametric test that are not nearly as powerful in detection of a type 1 or type 2 error. Plus, this is assuming you have lets say 20 cameras out to get a reasonable sample size.

Back in the '70s and '80s you would just have no way of knowing if something you did slightly different actually caught that animal the next day, or if it would have been there either way. And if there was not an animal in the trap the next day, you assumed something was wrong with the set, without the ability to KNOW (like with a trail camera) that there was actually no activity at the site.

There are just so many different variables that can be taken into account and tested, that really a Linear Regression might be you only good way of testing some of them, and at that point as a trapper, this has gone from a enjoyable hobby to a almost overly complicated and frustrating chore. And you really have no way to account for the possibility of a trap shy animal or other compounding condition complicating the testing further.

Cedar County
Re: Trapping Methods: Times have Changed [Re: SNIPERBBB] #7176387
02/10/21 12:06 PM
02/10/21 12:06 PM
montana
R
red mt Offline
trapper
red mt  Offline
trapper
R

montana
Originally Posted by SNIPERB🦝
Mostly because some of that stuff was either BS or intentional disinformation.

Agreed,
How many books you spose those old timers back in the day sold preaching there mystical methods .
Not that they did not catch there share.,,, or it might be that now a days a critter can not go anywhere and not smell a human at least once.
Might be familiarity that may be the case now a days ???

Kenneth schoening
Re: Trapping Methods: Times have Changed [Re: FHSU_Wildman] #7176396
02/10/21 12:12 PM
02/10/21 12:12 PM
Flint, Michigan
bhugo Offline
trapper
bhugo  Offline
trapper

Flint, Michigan
Originally Posted by KS_Wildman
A lot of the old methods about controlling sent, baits, lures, etc. I really think boiled down to an inability to actually statistically test their effectiveness. Just think about the process of testing a new lure. If you are testing it by placing it in a few locations with trail cameras, your first few nights might actually be random selection, but after that you have site fidelity that is going to make the encounter non-random, rendering it a biased sample. Once biased, you no longer have access to your parametric tests, leaving you with non-parametric test that are not nearly as powerful in detection of a type 1 or type 2 error. Plus, this is assuming you have lets say 20 cameras out to get a reasonable sample size.

Back in the '70s and '80s you would just have no way of knowing if something you did slightly different actually caught that animal the next day, or if it would have been there either way. And if there was not an animal in the trap the next day, you assumed something was wrong with the set, without the ability to KNOW (like with a trail camera) that there was actually no activity at the site.

There are just so many different variables that can be taken into account and tested, that really a Linear Regression might be you only good way of testing some of them, and at that point as a trapper, this has gone from a enjoyable hobby to a almost overly complicated and frustrating chore. And you really have no way to account for the possibility of a trap shy animal or other compounding condition complicating the testing further.

I wonder if anyone has actually tested whether a trap and set that is meticulously clean like used to be prescribed is any better than a set made without concern about scents with cameras and all?

Member MTPCA, FTA and NTA
Re: Trapping Methods: Times have Changed [Re: andrews1958] #7176444
02/10/21 12:47 PM
02/10/21 12:47 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
When we were kids, the trappers we learned from and tried to emulate would bed their trap, did a hole, and throw a pinecone squirted with Fox urine down it. We caught coons, fox, and bobcats. Wasn’t any coyotes to speak of back then. We never used bait or lure, just fox pee.
We did go out one night collecting road kill rabbits, but that ended up with more aerial predators than anything else.

Last edited by Wanna Be; 02/10/21 12:48 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91