Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Otters & 330's question [Re: WBG] #7179363
02/12/21 02:42 PM
02/12/21 02:42 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by WBG
Likely pulled their head out of the jaws.

^^^this is what the otters did.

Had it happen many, many times, before I started using Belisles. Have even had it happen a couple times with older Belisle 330s as the center of jaws will bend open slightly. Never under estimate the power of an otter.

One other tip: if you're using bodygrips that allow the spring eyes to go over the corners of the jaws you are using a crappy otter trap. You will eventually regret it one cold morning.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Otters & 330's question [Re: ksp107] #7179383
02/12/21 02:58 PM
02/12/21 02:58 PM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by ksp107
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
I will give my 2 cents worth.....

Most of my otter killing happens at pinch points in very small streams/ditches (a few feet wide and a few inches deep. Many more die at crossovers on dams and near culvert pipes. Rarely are my traps completely submerged...usually not enough water, but I don't set them much on dry land either.....Even though bodygrips less than 9.5" are legal on land further than 10 feet from water in Ga. In the South, due to warmer temps, otters need to be caught in the water or use 6 to 8 feet extension cables so they can reach water. So, my conditions are a bit different than others.

I have 72 Belisle 280s....and 17 Belisle 330s (landowner crushed one digging out beaver dam with backhoe.)

I never intentionally set a 330 for otters.

Belisle 280 is the otter trap...for me.

I dont catch a ton of otters, but if Im targeting them specifically in the water, the 280 Belisle and Bridger is what I reach for. Cant use anything larger than 220 on land, (private land) and 150 size on public, so Im limited there. Seems like my catches in the 280 are always behind the ears, more body/hip catches with 330's. Just my experience.

An otter cannot get the leverage he needs to pull his head out of the jaws of most strong 8" bodygrips...not enough working room as he has in a 330.....unless the spring eyes go over the jaw corners allowing more opening of the jaws by the tension being released some. The otter generally cannot escape the trap when this happens but it allows him to live longer and fight harder, ie fur damage/location destruction/ruins location for next otter catch as they are sensitive and spooky to thay kind of commotion.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91