No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 16
Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7203077
03/03/21 03:05 PM
03/03/21 03:05 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
You guys would save yourself a lot of grief if you got to know your local warden. I have mine on speed dial and we know each other quite well. If I have a question about his thoughts on a particular set, I call and ask his opinion.

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7203080
03/03/21 03:07 PM
03/03/21 03:07 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
On a very related subject, all trap tag requirements should be gotten rid of. There is NO REASON to tag your traps what-so-ever. The tags DO NOT prove anything. They don't prove who set the trap or who put the tag on the trap or who even owns the trap. If the warden finds an illegally set trap the only way to prove who put it there is to set on it and wait until the guy shows up (game cameras may work too).

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: walleyed] #7203087
03/03/21 03:12 PM
03/03/21 03:12 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by walleyed
No question Joe was in violation
of the trap tagging requirement
in this case.

He should have had two tags on each
trap stamped with his NY. State I.D. #

On the body gripping trap violation,
with an opening of 3.5" inches,
this Ouell trap is obviously a rodent trap
with a smaller opening than a marten
could be concievably able to enter.

The fact that the trap was baited,
and untagged probably contributed
to the eliminated any discretion
the ENCON officer might have employed
in not issues these citations.

This has a lot to do with DEC Bureau
of Wildlife's over jealous protection
of the fragmented American Marten
population in the central Adirondacks
where any trapper who is tagged out
on Marten but continues to trap is
automatically under suspicion of
being a Marten poacher trying to
circumvent the marten trapping
regulations.

I'm sure that for ENCON officers
patrolling in prime marten habitat,
this is a point of emphasis with trappers.

The officer in question could have
displayed better tact & people
management skills with this situation.

I know ENCON officers in my area
would have deployed a lot more
discretion and tact.

When Trappers are automatically
assumed to be guilty by law enforcement,
then mistrust by trappers in cooperating
with wildlife management agencies
is irreparably damaged for good.

The greater good was not served in this case.

Joe Pennati had a target tattooed on his back
from the moment he tagged his 6th Adirondack
marten and then continued to trap.

All in my opinion.

walleyed

I'll be the 1st to say that all GWs (and many other LEOs) dont have/use very respectful/tactful language or attitides when dealing with the public. This is unfortunate as we work for sportsmen and women and the public in general and we depend on cooperation with anyone with an interest in our wildlife resources to be effective in our jobs.

Im not familiar with the NY situation with the marten trapping, but my advice there would be to make absolutely sure that trapping regs are followed to the letter since it appears there is some conflict with marten trapping in the Adirondacks. Yall may lose it entirely if the conflicts are simmering already. Best case scenario is for trappers and GWs to get on the same side of that issue.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: Posco] #7203093
03/03/21 03:15 PM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by Posco
You guys would save yourself a lot of grief if you got to know your local warden. I have mine on speed dial and we know each other quite well. If I have a question about his thoughts on a particular set, I call and ask his opinion.

I agree. I readily answer/respond to all such calls. To me, this shows a person is willing to follow the law. I like voluntary compliance. Shows a true sportsman!

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: ~ADC~] #7203094
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
On a very related subject, all trap tag requirements should be gotten rid of. There is NO REASON to tag your traps what-so-ever. The tags DO NOT prove anything. They don't prove who set the trap or who put the tag on the trap or who even owns the trap. If the warden finds an illegally set trap the only way to prove who put it there is to set on it and wait until the guy shows up (game cameras may work too).

I tend to agree^^^

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7203095
03/03/21 03:17 PM
Nevada
N
nvwrangler Offline
trapper
nvwrangler  Offline
trapper
N

Nevada
Swamp I just wanted to say thank you for participating in these discussions as it gives us the other side and hopefully all understand each other a little better.

Thanks

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7203096
East of the Mason-Dixon Line
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

East of the Mason-Dixon Line
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Originally Posted by Posco

I agree. I readily answer/respond to all such calls. To me, this shows a person is willing to follow the law. I like voluntary compliance. Shows a true sportsman!

Absolutely, I talk to a couple of my local wardens weekly... I have never had a bad experience with the Natural Resources Police in Delaware. Great group of men and women.

Who is John Galt?

You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to the level of your training.

Semper Paratus
Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7203097
Alaska
C
CTobias Offline
trapper
CTobias  Offline
trapper
C

Alaska
Screw the communist state of NY. I don’t know how anyone stays there anymore.

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7203100
03/03/21 03:20 PM
03/03/21 03:20 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
I am unfamiliar with the Ouell trap but just as a matter of information.......marten nest boxes are made with an entrance hole between 2-2.5 inches diameter. They can get in a lot smaller space than one would think.

Mean As Nails
Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7203111
03/03/21 03:29 PM
03/03/21 03:29 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
My Warden refers me often for research programs and education classes with the public. I send her cat pics to geo track if needed and show her my license every year to not put her on the spot I’ve always done that just a habit.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7203131
03/03/21 03:41 PM
03/03/21 03:41 PM
Coldspring Texas
Savell Offline
"Wilbur"
Savell  Offline
"Wilbur"

Coldspring Texas
... I also agree with having the wardens phone number... how else would you call to send him on a wild goose chase on the opposite side of the county lol

Insert profound nonsense here
Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: Canvasback2] #7203140
03/03/21 03:46 PM
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

W NY
Originally Posted by Canvasback2
If a Trapper sets out 50 traps for Red Fox, the Game Warden has the right to dig up all 50 traps; to see if they are all legal? Does the Game Warden reset all those traps that they dug up ?

If the GW dug up the first one and it was in compliance with a tag on it he probably wouldn't dig up anymore. If everyone he keeps digging up is a violation then no he won't stop. That's his job

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: Golf ball] #7203142
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by Golf ball

Swamp Wolf if you was to pull a trap that I set on private property just to see if I might be illegal I would probably take that personally. If you look in the back of my truck and find all of my unused traps tagged wouldn’t that be a pretty good indication that you don’t need to disturb my set to see if it might be legal ?
I mean how hard would it be to figure out when I check my sets and ask to look at the traps I have with me ? You asked for a way to tell if a trap was tagged or not without disturbing the set . What I just said does not do that explicitly, but would give you a pretty good reason to leave or not leave the set alone .

No need to take it personal....because it isnt.

The GW may not know you or whose property it is. He is tasked by law to enforce wildlife laws and that includes wildlife laws on private lands. No one owns the wildlife. It is owned by the people of your state and is held in trust by your state's DNR. To aid in doing this, GWs are permitted, by law, to conduct inspections, including looking closely at the gear a trapper is using to ensure compliance with the laws set up by your state's legislature.

Your method of trapper inspection at the pickup truck would be sufficient if every trapper was known/where they trapped was known/when they trapped was known/etc. Also, most trappers are encountered by GWs due to calls received or when the GW happens to find a trap or encounters repeated entry sign on a property on routine patrols. GWs stay busy responding to many other types of calls, working various seasonal activity, such as deer and waterfowl hunting, fishing, environmental enforcement such as illegal dumping, and boating activity on public water. So trapping enforcement, in mostbstates, is low on the importance scale for time spent by GWs.

But, with that said, if I know a trapper. Maybe checked him before. Never a legitimate complaint on him. Always legal in every aspect. Great effort & attitude. Looked at his gear (in his truck) and always good to go. I will refer him to landowners and call him a fellow trapper. I know when i see him parked at the back of a field or creek bridge that he is good to go. Maybe a quick license check but that is it. This is the same way I look at other deer hunters, duck hunters, etc.

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: nvwrangler] #7203146
03/03/21 03:49 PM
03/03/21 03:49 PM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by nvwrangler
Swamp I just wanted to say thank you for participating in these discussions as it gives us the other side and hopefully all understand each other a little better.

Thanks

I enjoy Tman. We are all trappers.

Ive been trapping since I was 12. Been a GW since I was 29. 56 now.

Thanks!

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: Savell] #7203152
03/03/21 03:50 PM
03/03/21 03:50 PM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by Savell
... I also agree with having the wardens phone number... how else would you call to send him on a wild goose chase on the opposite side of the county lol

You only get to pull that off once....

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7203162
03/03/21 03:57 PM
03/03/21 03:57 PM
vermont
V
vermontster Offline
trapper
vermontster  Offline
trapper
V

vermont
I live near the NY border in VT and I hunt in both states. I was hunting the early muzzle loader season northern zone and the temperature got up to 60 degrees so I returned to my truck in the parking area. I noticed a DEC truck across the road in another parking area. Once I reached my truck the DEC officer came over to me and checked my license, No problem . Then began to lecture me about VT hunters road hunting and why would I even be in NY hunting. So I was polite and said check my record you will find no offences . The officer said that they had waited for me because of my VT plate. I said aren't we all AMERICANS NY-VT? I said it was to bad that the time you spent sitting waiting for me didn't seem to make any sense considering I was in the woods since a half hour before daylight and was not out driving around looking for deer in meadows to shoot from my truck. I also said I can't stand road hunters and hope they catch them all. I also suggested they aren't very well informed and suggested they check and see how many NY residents hunt VT and I would bet not all NY follow VT laws either. I said its not a state thing but a human thing. I had a chip on my shoulder about the added words said as if I had no right to be there because I am not a NY resident but I guess it's frustrating when you can't catch the law breakers. I also said I have NY residents that hunt out of my VT camp.

The bitterness of poor quality last a lot longer than the sweetness of low price
Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: Squash] #7203169
03/03/21 04:00 PM
03/03/21 04:00 PM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by Squash
The state is broke and needs money, so most will ticket their grandmothers over petty stuff. Sorry Joe, but you should have never allowed him in your home without a warrant. Once you received the tickets , you should have demanded a civil compromise or a jury trial. As a consultant Forester I’ve dealt with DEC LE for decades and have little respect for them. Most are arbitrary and make it up as they go. My father was the Justice of Peace in my township for 23 years. I could write a book of petty violations DEC LE wrote in our town and adjacent townships that my Dad adjudicated. My Dad treated people fairly and dismissed many nit picky tickets. LE did not like him. He dismissed a ticket given by a ECO to a person picking blue berries on state land. After that the ECO was know here as Huckleberry __________!

I too used to trap Marten and fisher in NY, but will not set a trap for those species again in NY until they do away with the draconian regulations that one has to follow.

Another thread on this site, the question was asked if anti’s were infiltrating state wildlife agencies ? Looks like my friend Joe in NY, found out first hand.

In Ga, all game and fish fine money goes to the county where the violation occurred...not the state.

The NY GW involved in Joe's situation appeared to me to do nothing wrong. He did his job. His actions were NOT anti-trapping. He investigated non-compliance and handled the violations properly. Your description is anti-game warden and that is sad.

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: ~ADC~] #7203171
03/03/21 04:02 PM
03/03/21 04:02 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Originally Posted by ~ADC~

I have always filled out a police report whenever trap has been stolen from me. It has been quite a few times. It’s only way I figure I can cover myself.
I sure thought this thread would bring out all sides of the story. It has.

The Real Reasons Animals Are Detecting Your Sets And Devices by Kirk Dekalb
https://amzn.to/2Hn1hxv
Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: Kirk De] #7203181
03/03/21 04:15 PM
03/03/21 04:15 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
Originally Posted by Kirk De

I sure thought this thread would bring out all sides of the story. It has.

Yes. I'm sure it hasn't gone the way the OP wanted it to go. He admitted to illegally not tagging his traps and admitted that trap he was using by definition was a body-gripping trap. I can see where he'd feel these were very minor and the warden was being overzealous when he could of just said, "just get them tagged" and "don't use these body-gripping traps", but I don't know many wardens who wouldn't have issued the ticket and followed up to see if he continued his illegal ways. This is what I gathered when I actually read his entire post. I'm not saying this warden is not out to get him, and I'm not saying his attitude may have POed the warden. I'm also not saying Joe's post won't put a bigger target on his back. Anything is possible.

Re: Infringement on Trapper Rights by a NY Game Warden [Re: joepennanti] #7203196
03/03/21 04:25 PM
03/03/21 04:25 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
My experience has been that most COs are decent, fair people.
My wife and I like to watch the show Lone Star Law. I don't know if it's just for tv or not, but the CO's on that show treat most people with respect and fairness.

The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never let the dumbest ones lead the pack.
Page 4 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 16
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread