No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: USDA trappers in Wisconsin [Re: keets] #7233378
04/02/21 12:33 PM
04/02/21 12:33 PM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
The same principle applies to trout stream management. You can ruin a trout stream by allowing large impoundments to develop then blowing the dam, releasing a large slug of warm water and sediment down stream.

Re: USDA trappers in Wisconsin [Re: keets] #7233427
04/02/21 01:50 PM
04/02/21 01:50 PM
Nebraska
silkyplainscoyot Offline
trapper
silkyplainscoyot  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
walleye101 and other private guys. I do understand how it's a sore spot. There's a a lot private guys that know their stuff and are capable. They are well known and have plenty of work even though USDA resides in their area. I just don't understand how all the blame lies on the USDA. Your counties have chosen who to use and may in the future open up bids to the private sector if they aren't happy or positions change.

It's no different than if a private company comes in and under bids you and gets the job. No private trappers will be in there, only personal who works for large control company. People would then complain how big business has monopolized the market and there's no way the private guy can compete. It's a continuous cycle. There's always going to be someone unhappy no matter how things turn out.

Re: USDA trappers in Wisconsin [Re: silkyplainscoyot] #7233489
04/02/21 03:59 PM
04/02/21 03:59 PM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
Originally Posted by silkyplainscoyot
walleye101 and other private guys. I do understand how it's a sore spot. There's a a lot private guys that know their stuff and are capable. They are well known and have plenty of work even though USDA resides in their area. I just don't understand how all the blame lies on the USDA. Your counties have chosen who to use and may in the future open up bids to the private sector if they aren't happy or positions change.

It's no different than if a private company comes in and under bids you and gets the job. No private trappers will be in there, only personal who works for large control company. People would then complain how big business has monopolized the market and there's no way the private guy can compete. It's a continuous cycle. There's always going to be someone unhappy no matter how things turn out.

No different than bidding against a private company? No wonder you believe the USDA can put a man in the field with a truck, for 34 dollars an hour.

Firstly the government doesn't have to make a profit, that's a ten to fifteen percent advantage right there in a bidding process. Does the USDA pay real estate taxes on the buildings it owns? Does the USDA have to buy car insurance? Any kind of insurance? I guarantee you the US gubbemint is self insured.

It's not a level playing field and a private business can't put a man in the field for $34 an hour all in costs, neither can the Feds I don't care if they are paying 15 dollars an hour, they are using slight of hand to make it look that cheap.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: USDA trappers in Wisconsin [Re: keets] #7233508
04/02/21 04:24 PM
04/02/21 04:24 PM
MT
B
bbasher Offline
trapper
bbasher  Offline
trapper
B

MT
Who's going to charge the taxpayer (county or state) more for doing the work? The govt or a big private trapping co? This conversation is like watching a dog chase it's tail!

I think most of the posters here feel that the govt shouldn't be paying for beaver control. Or they should call a fur trapper to remove the beaver. For $5 a hide. Makes sense

Re: USDA trappers in Wisconsin [Re: keets] #7233600
04/02/21 06:54 PM
04/02/21 06:54 PM
chelsea,wi
keets Offline OP
trapper
keets  Offline OP
trapper

chelsea,wi
update....I didn't call their office, I have good sets farther from the road than they do....I know his Belisles are illegally set ( for me anyways) since Wed....now about 70% out of water

2021 goals....make time to trap
PROUD MEMBER WTA NTA FTA GOA SPORTSMANS ALLIANCE
Re: USDA trappers in Wisconsin [Re: silkyplainscoyot] #7233639
04/02/21 07:44 PM
04/02/21 07:44 PM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN

You don't seem to be reading well. USDA is not coming in and under bidding to get these jobs. They do work agreements with the State or the Counties with no competative bidding necessary.

Re: USDA trappers in Wisconsin [Re: keets] #7233654
04/02/21 08:02 PM
04/02/21 08:02 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
That's exactly how It works. There Is no competitive bidding for these jobs.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: USDA trappers in Wisconsin [Re: walleye101] #7233699
04/02/21 08:38 PM
04/02/21 08:38 PM
Nebraska
silkyplainscoyot Offline
trapper
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by walleye101

You don't seem to be reading well. USDA is not coming in and under bidding to get these jobs. They do work agreements with the State or the Counties with no competative bidding necessary.

Your not comprehending very well. I didn't say the USDA was bidding. I was comparing a big control outfit to under bidding a private sector and you all would still be butt hurt cause no private trapper is allowed in there.

I clearly understand how the USDA works. I have very close ties to people who work for them. USDA out here is a program for farmers and ranchers, so they don't have to pay big bucks, to protect their assets. They want their counties to use their taxes to help protect land and livestock. Anything outside of agriculture here is done by a bid. Birds at factories, beavers for public power canals, or in state owned ROW. The program isn't free for the taking for non agriculture base companies. Those are private entities that contact USDA for a, you ready for it, a BID. There are private companies out here that get the job because they come in lower.

Now as far as government lands, which I think you are all complaining about, I'm not sure how that works. But it's their choice and probably easier to keep it inner agency.

Re: USDA trappers in Wisconsin [Re: keets] #7233753
04/02/21 09:19 PM
04/02/21 09:19 PM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
Excuse me but you said, "It's no different than if a private company comes in and under bids you and gets the job." And I was pointing out that it is completely different, since there is NO competative bidding at all.

So, we have one government agency, MNDNR (or WIDNR or whatever) spending our game and fish licence dollars,(hunting, fishing, trapping, ricing), duck stamp funding, Ducks unlimited money, to pay a Federal Agency that we also subsidise with our tax money, to do a job that I can do as efficently and probably cheaper, but we'll never know because I don't even get a chance to bid on the project.

But that's supposed to be ok because it is probably "easier" for the bureaucrats to keep in interagency?

Re: USDA trappers in Wisconsin [Re: keets] #7233774
04/02/21 09:38 PM
04/02/21 09:38 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Y’all could always become USDA trappers, then problem solved.

Re: USDA trappers in Wisconsin [Re: keets] #7233782
04/02/21 09:42 PM
04/02/21 09:42 PM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
This has become a contentious thread.

I don't think USDA traps in my county, so I don't have much to add.

Last edited by AJE; 04/02/21 09:42 PM.
Re: USDA trappers in Wisconsin [Re: walleye101] #7233795
04/02/21 09:51 PM
04/02/21 09:51 PM
Nebraska
silkyplainscoyot Offline
trapper
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by walleye101
Excuse me but you said, "It's no different than if a private company comes in and under bids you and gets the job." And I was pointing out that it is completely different, since there is NO competative bidding at all.

So, we have one government agency, MNDNR (or WIDNR or whatever) spending our game and fish licence dollars,(hunting, fishing, trapping, ricing), duck stamp funding, Ducks unlimited money, to pay a Federal Agency that we also subsidise with our tax money, to do a job that I can do as efficently and probably cheaper, but we'll never know because I don't even get a chance to bid on the project.

But that's supposed to be ok because it is probably "easier" for the bureaucrats to keep in interagency?

I apologize and that situation stinks. This whole time I thought is was the USDA agency that was being bashed. That sounds like the Department of Natural Resources. I have no knowledge of that government agency.

Re: USDA trappers in Wisconsin [Re: keets] #7233816
04/02/21 09:59 PM
04/02/21 09:59 PM
WI
N
nimzy Offline
trapper
nimzy  Offline
trapper
N

WI
It takes two to tango

Re: USDA trappers in Wisconsin [Re: keets] #7233840
04/02/21 10:16 PM
04/02/21 10:16 PM
Montana
J
Jackdale Offline
trapper
Jackdale  Offline
trapper
J

Montana
Originally Posted by keets
update....I didn't call their office, I have good sets farther from the road than they do....I know his Belisles are illegally set ( for me anyways) since Wed....now about 70% out of water

They probably have 2x as many traps to keep up with as you do, at least.

Re: USDA trappers in Wisconsin [Re: keets] #7233842
04/02/21 10:17 PM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
I wonder if they have issue with theft, seeing as they put out those signs

Re: USDA trappers in Wisconsin [Re: keets] #7233843
Northern WI
L
Line Jumper Offline
trapper
Line Jumper  Offline
trapper
L

Northern WI
The bottom line is if your a Township or Country it's easier to use USDA/aphis, not necessarily cheaper, but easier. Sign a contract in the spring, then have one number to call with individual complaints, no advertising, bidding, etc. If Aphis only trapped beaver damaging roads, crops, forestland it wouldn't be quite so bad, but when the spend all summer trapping trout streams and their tributaries they are having a drastic impact on the local population. It sucks for trappers especially when beaver are worth good money.

Re: USDA trappers in Wisconsin [Re: silkyplainscoyot] #7233921
04/03/21 12:40 AM
04/03/21 12:40 AM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely

Your not comprehending very well. I didn't say the USDA was bidding. I was comparing a big control outfit to under bidding a private sector and you all would still be butt hurt cause no private trapper is allowed in there.

I clearly understand how the USDA works. I have very close ties to people who work for them. USDA out here is a program for farmers and ranchers, so they don't have to pay big bucks, to protect their assets. They want their counties to use their taxes to help protect land and livestock. Anything outside of agriculture here is done by a bid. Birds at factories, beavers for public power canals, or in state owned ROW. The program isn't free for the taking for non agriculture base companies. Those are private entities that contact USDA for a, you ready for it, a BID. There are private companies out here that get the job because they come in lower.

Now as far as government lands, which I think you are all complaining about, I'm not sure how that works. But it's their choice and probably easier to keep it inner agency.

No matter how one tries to rationalize it, it's private contractors having to compete with government agencies for contracts.

It's the exact opposite of capitalism in a free market economy.

Originally Posted by Wanna Be

And Get paid 15 dollars an hour for skilled labor? Yea right.

Last edited by Steven 49er; 04/03/21 12:40 AM.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: USDA trappers in Wisconsin [Re: keets] #7235730
04/05/21 04:17 PM
04/05/21 04:17 PM
NE Wisconsin
DecoyMacoy Offline
trapper
DecoyMacoy  Offline
trapper

NE Wisconsin
Funny seeing this thread...... I have been trapping an area in the north zone and seeing these USDA signs at some spots I wanted to trap. Today It got me frustrated enough to give the number a call to vent with being a WI resident who pays for the privilege to trap and having to complete with state/Fed hired trappers. The person I spoke to at USDA was willing to hear out my concerns and then took my name/number to pass along to the trapper in the area I was trapping. The trapper called me a short while later and was willing to pull sets from any area I wanted to trap. I'm currently winding things down so I did not request any action but will likely do so early next season.

Re: USDA trappers in Wisconsin [Re: keets] #7236433
04/06/21 12:44 PM
04/06/21 12:44 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Those USDA trappers get paid whether they catch anything or not. LOL

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: USDA trappers in Wisconsin [Re: Wanna Be] #7236462
04/06/21 01:21 PM
04/06/21 01:21 PM
rogers city mi.
J
jeff karsten Offline
trapper
jeff karsten  Offline
trapper
J

rogers city mi.
Originally Posted by Wanna Be

You must think all you have to do is ask Try it see if you get a reply

olden tyred
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread