Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Glycol #7283357
06/10/21 07:08 PM
06/10/21 07:08 PM
Michigan
B
BullOx Offline OP
trapper
BullOx  Offline OP
trapper
B

Michigan
How much glycol do you add to meat baits? I seem to have forgotten

Trapping is easy you say? You try getting your target animal to step in a 3 inch area of its whole territory.
Re: Glycol [Re: BullOx] #7286236
06/14/21 01:35 PM
06/14/21 01:35 PM
Oscoda, Michigan
J
John-Chagnon Offline
trapper
John-Chagnon  Offline
trapper
J

Oscoda, Michigan
You might want to use GLYCERINE which will greatly enhance your meat baits. Approx Quart per 3 gallons depends on consistency you want.

Re: Glycol [Re: BullOx] #7286696
06/14/21 11:30 PM
06/14/21 11:30 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
I was curious to know if SB and glycerin could be smelled by coyotes and if it had any affects on the attractiveness of a bait or lure. So I took ground deer and added a little sb to some and a little glycerin to some and went out and put in 10 or 12 test set of each with the plain meat in another hole about a foot and a half away. In my little experiment it was very consistent that the coyotes preferred the meat without glycerin. That's just my 2 cents and maybe I'm missing something but that's what my neighborhood coyotes told me.

Re: Glycol [Re: BullOx] #7286781
06/15/21 06:08 AM
06/15/21 06:08 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Glycerin makes stuff easier to get out of the jar when its cold. An antifreeze. Yes Sir I'm not disputing your post. But when no choice is offered the anti freezed bait works fine. No matter what you do some animals wont be interested. It happens. When I read an ad that says no animal will walk by I dont buy the stuff. Putting together an attractant without antifreeze is just not practical all the time.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Glycol [Re: BullOx] #7286832
06/15/21 07:42 AM
06/15/21 07:42 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
I understand your point Danny. Just throwing the information out for thought.
Will add that a lot of additives already used will lower the freeze point of a formulation to the point useable in a lot of formulations. I dont run as big of trap line as some but have never added glycerin to anything I make and never had any freeze up so far. Even left a couple formulations settings outside on the roof one night when it got single digits to see if they would freeze but they were still in good shape next morning. Now with that said I believe with enough time at single digits I believe they probably would get too thick to be useable but over night they did fine. Usually baits and lure are kept in a tote in bed of pickup,
box on UTV or unheated building over night so they have. some protection from temperature drop. A lot of the tinctures and oils lower the freezing point evidently enough for the weather around me.I think even the sodium based preservatives lower the freezing point.Again just sharing a little information the coyotes passed on to me.
Have sent formulations to others in regions colder than here for testing and haven't heard of freezing being an issue. And I'm not sure if the freezer test is the best way to determine if you have enough antifreeze in your formulation because all my commercial made lure and baits will freeze solid in my freezer and some of the makers live and trap in places that see some very cold temps (I assume the stuff I bought from them is exactly like what they use themselves).
Again not trying to say what is right or wrong just sharing my thoughts and experiences. Take it for what it's worth.

Last edited by Yes sir; 06/15/21 08:15 AM.
Re: Glycol [Re: Yes sir] #7286850
06/15/21 08:08 AM
06/15/21 08:08 AM
Goldsboro, North Carolina
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"
Paul Dobbins  Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

Goldsboro, North Carolina
Originally Posted by Yes sir
I was curious to know if SB and glycerin could be smelled by coyotes and if it had any affects on the attractiveness of a bait or lure. So I took ground deer and added a little sb to some and a little glycerin to some and went out and put in 10 or 12 test set of each with the plain meat in another hole about a foot and a half away. In my little experiment it was very consistent that the coyotes preferred the meat without glycerin. That's just my 2 cents and maybe I'm missing something but that's what my neighborhood coyotes told me.

Was that animal based glycerine, or plant based?

Re: Glycol [Re: Paul Dobbins] #7286856
06/15/21 08:21 AM
06/15/21 08:21 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins
Originally Posted by Yes sir

Was that animal based glycerine, or plant based?

I have to admit I didn't realize there was a difference when I tested and since learned there is two different products. And have questioned if there's a difference in animal response. I'm not sure what I have but will say I bought it from someone that is a commercial lure maker with decades in the business and is well respected amongsthis peers.

Re: Glycol [Re: BullOx] #7286886
06/15/21 09:08 AM
06/15/21 09:08 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
On a side note the SB appeared to increase the attractiveness. Not as consistent results as the glycerin test but definitely enough for me to have some confidence in. To be honest I was kind of expecting opposite results between the two products and worried I could of switched the labeled lids in the mixing process so I made another batch of each and reran the tests in different locations than first tests.

Re: Glycol [Re: BullOx] #7286892
06/15/21 09:21 AM
06/15/21 09:21 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
In reality there aren't many materials out there that don't have some kind of an odor that a canine can't detect to one degree or another. How it reacts to the material is quite another matter.

I have used both glycol, glycerin and mineral oil as much as anyone over the years. I really haven't found any adverse reactions that would stop me from using it in any product. It wouldn't be practical and could cause more harm then good to stop its use. Keeping a product from freezing solid which shuts down much of the products odor release and using the materials noted to bond and blend the ingredients are essential.

The advantages of using such materials far outweighs the disadvantages and any down side of not using them. In a rare situation some adjustments may have to be made to deal with an exceptionally challenging animal. One that has been worked previously and has become very suspicious of particular odors or presentations. But those scenarios are infrequent enough to deal with by using another lure, bait, urine etc. or different type of set to catch them

Re: Glycol [Re: BullOx] #7286974
06/15/21 12:04 PM
06/15/21 12:04 PM
Oscoda, Michigan
J
John-Chagnon Offline
trapper
John-Chagnon  Offline
trapper
J

Oscoda, Michigan
Hi Bob your comment "I have used both glycol, glycerin and mineral oil as much as anyone over the years" Id bet 90%+ of all Lure and Bait Products contain those ingredients + either SB, Salt or other preservatives. Benefits of their use far out way very minimal if any negative effects. As Paul pointed out in above post not all ingredients are compounded the same. If I knew it was not going to freeze and if my set was only going to be out for a couple days I might not add something to my bait.

Re: Glycol [Re: BullOx] #7286982
06/15/21 12:13 PM
06/15/21 12:13 PM
Oscoda, Michigan
J
John-Chagnon Offline
trapper
John-Chagnon  Offline
trapper
J

Oscoda, Michigan
Glycol started on this post turned into a tinctured say for example with Beaver Castor would probably make any canine bait better. Paying attention to the freezing point of certain oils that are attractive by themselves to animals vs thinking about if it will deter an animal would even be better.

Re: Glycol [Re: BullOx] #7287187
06/15/21 07:37 PM
06/15/21 07:37 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Points all understood.
As stated it was just food for thought. I will say the best formulation I have tested had glycerin in it. And considering probably 90% or more of the commercial formulations probably have glycerin, glycol or mineral oil in them I feel I've probably tested some other formulations with it in them that I thought were above par. Now take the formula that's tested best for me, if it didn't have glycerin in it would it be even better?? The answer is I don't and nobody else probably knows because they have never tested it. My simple test indicates it might have a slight bit more attraction. Are we talking adding one more coyote out of a hundred caught? Probably not big enough difference for anyone to notice or care. Maybe 1 more out of 20 caught?? I kind of doubt it would be that big of an improvement but if it were a guy catching 500 coyotes probably would appreciate the difference but the guy catching 30 would never notice nor care. I tested because I figured few if any had and I've seen other theories (that didn't seem to pan out for me) that get passed around until they pretty much become fact. I shared because that's what the coyotes told me and thought some would appreciate the information and possibly benefit a little bit from it. I'm just one that likes answers more than theories so I test. And have learned a lot by doing so. With all that said I don't use it in anything other than adding a small amount to some things that I tincture in everclear to slow evaporation and haven't had anything freeze up on me.

Last edited by Yes sir; 06/15/21 08:05 PM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91