Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Second Moose Rut #7410305
11/20/21 03:50 PM
11/20/21 03:50 PM
AK
bfisch Offline OP
trapper
bfisch  Offline OP
trapper

AK
I think I recall someone on here once mentioning that there is a second moose rut for all the cows that were not bred or it didn't take the first time. I recently saw two good sized bulls and a cow. The bulls seemed pretty interested in the cow. About a 1/2 miles away I saw sign of moose scuffling. Tracks in crazy patterns, dirt kicked up, and moose hair on the ground. I looked all over for wolf tracks but there were none. It seems they were getting each other.

What do you think? Is there a second rut and if so when is it?

Re: Second Moose Rut [Re: bfisch] #7410458
11/20/21 08:34 PM
11/20/21 08:34 PM
AK
F
FL cracker in AK Offline
trapper
FL cracker in AK  Offline
trapper
F

AK
I've seen a bull mount a cow in late October, so I believe it.

Psalm 34:6
Re: Second Moose Rut [Re: bfisch] #7412317
11/23/21 02:53 AM
11/23/21 02:53 AM
Moved to Fbks, Ak.
M
martentrapper Offline
trapper
martentrapper  Offline
trapper
M

Moved to Fbks, Ak.
According to F&G bios I have talked to, like you said, there is a second period where unbred cows come back into estrus. I'm not sure there are 2 periods of rut tho. I would say the bulls stay in rut, at least to some extent, until the second estrus period is over.
Interesting question and perhaps deserves more research!!

Re: Second Moose Rut [Re: bfisch] #7412820
11/23/21 07:02 PM
11/23/21 07:02 PM
Homer, Alaska, USA
W
Wolverine Hunter Offline
trapper
Wolverine Hunter  Offline
trapper
W

Homer, Alaska, USA
We see this a lot in MN with White Tails The general rut is in early November. Does that don't get bred come back into heat in early December and get bred then. The bucks continue to rut, but they let up in intensity. I killed a nice buck tending a doe two years ago on about December 3 during the muzzleloader season. We were after that buck all of September, October, and November. We saw him, but he never made a mistake. Until December 3, when he was tending a doe very closely. Up and down out of their beds all day but at a long distance. Around dark, she got up and dragged him within range of me.

Is this true for all or most ungulates? Why would Moose be any different? I'd assume some don't get bred in October. I'd assume cows that don't get bred would come back into heat. I'd assume the bulls would be ready, willing and able. We also see cows with calves of different ages, giving birth during May and June (where I live in Homer) . Makes sense that some of them were bred at different times.

That said, I don't have enough experience hunting moose in Alaska to claim to know. Probably a good question for a wildlife biologist. They might also be able to point you at some research.

Incidentally, when I was caribou hunting in August on the KP, my group witnessed a young moose chasing a cow all over the side of a mountain. She wasn't having it, but he sure was into her. It made me wonder if any random cows come into heat early, and are perhaps bred prior to October? Perhaps September is just as likely as November? I'd be curious. But I guess when it comes right down to it, it doesn't matter, because where I'm from, you can't hunt them anyway. Most guys say that the season is limited, and not necessarily centered around the rut - which is best for moose having success breeding, so that's ok.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman