No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
Re: Michigan high school shootings [Re: danvee] #7420020
12/02/21 01:42 AM
12/02/21 01:42 AM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Originally Posted by danvee
Not sure how many kids die each year from getting curious about a gun and pulling a trigger and killing themselves, a sibling or friend...

These stats are from 2016...

Deaths from firearms were the second leading cause of death for children ages 1 to 19. Motor vehicle accidents were #1.

However, deaths from firearms were broken down by category:

Homicide: 1865
Suicide: 1102
UNINTENTIONAL: 126
Undetermined Intent: 50

Accidental/Unintentional firearms deaths (by themselves) were the SMALLEST subset in causes of death for children ages 1 to 19 in 2016... Car accidents, homicide (gang activity?), suicide, burns, drownings, congenital birth defects, suffocation, HEART DISEASE, etc... all took more kids' lives than AD/ND gun deaths in that year.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmsr1804754

Nobody likes hearing about kids dying needlessly... But you literally harped on the SMALLEST issue concerning child mortality.

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Michigan high school shootings [Re: James] #7420025
12/02/21 02:12 AM
12/02/21 02:12 AM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Originally Posted by James
When I was a kid, I snuck a peek and touch to my dad's revolver multiple times. I knew where he kept it, and I got into it even though I'd been told not to.

When my son was in elementary school, at the urging of friends he climbed up to the top shelf of our closet, took down my .22 Ruger revolver, and showed it to his friends. Boy, did we hear from the other kids' parents when the story got out! He'd been instructed in gun safety, and told several times not to touch my firearms unless I was there.

Kids aren't little robots. You can't program them to behave always the way you'd like them to. They're susceptible to temptation and other influences--just like Adam and Eve.

Jim

You can't speak for your son and his friends. But concerning your curiosity... If your dad had taken you out back or to the local range and showed you how to safely handle, operate, and fire his pistol... Would you have climbed to the top of his closet to get to it?

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Michigan high school shootings [Re: SJA] #7420098
12/02/21 07:17 AM
12/02/21 07:17 AM

J
J Staton
Unregistered
J Staton
Unregistered
J

Danvee, the quote under number 5 of the statistics that SJA posted says it all. "Keeping the gun out of the hands of people who are not trained to operate it is the best way to prevent accidental gun deaths."
So again I'll say that if you train your children how to properly handle a firearm, the likelihood of he/she shooting themselves or another is minimal.

Last edited by J Staton; 12/02/21 07:18 AM.
Re: Michigan high school shootings [Re: yotetrapper30] #7420107
12/02/21 07:29 AM
12/02/21 07:29 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
I wonder if there's any significance to the use of the Hindu quote?

Maybe the shooter believes as all pantheists do, in the soul being reincarnated?
A devout Hindu (a word for the "many" Indian religions) would strive to be a god, perhaps Krishna, and maybe this was the kid's warped thinking?
To a devout pantheist, he and those he shot will always live on, always striving to be a god, so who knows what the shooter was thinking.
Interesting he used Oppenheimer's nuke quote though.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Michigan high school shootings [Re: yotetrapper30] #7420174
12/02/21 09:17 AM
12/02/21 09:17 AM
NC - Here there and everywhere
C
coondagger2 Offline
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline
"Brat"
C

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
How is a locked up gun at all useful for home protection?

"Oh wait a sec there son, don't shoot me yet, I got to get this dang safe combination right first."

Google quick access safes. Plenty of ways to have your home defense weapon secure but close to your bed or wherever else and easily accessible

Better than leaning it in the corner for little Jimmy's buddy to come knock over and slam fire.

I've been through what these kids are going through. It sucks and there is no way to describe how it makes you feel the next time you walk in that building knowing the last time you were in there you had to walk through someone else's blood. The college I went to had a school shooter on the last day of classes of my senior year. Killed two people in the same building I was in and injured 4. One of the kids that died lived 10 minutes from my home town. Google the UNC Charlotte shooting.

Hopefully the community can come together around them and be stronger because of it. It's sad to see this becoming a regular thing

Gotta live up to the nickname...
Re: Michigan high school shootings [Re: Nittany Lion] #7420190
12/02/21 09:40 AM
12/02/21 09:40 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
I remember that shooting happening but had no idea you were there. Sorry for the loss of your classmates.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Michigan high school shootings [Re: Nittany Lion] #7420191
12/02/21 09:41 AM
12/02/21 09:41 AM
Saskatchewan
R
rvsask Offline
trapper
rvsask  Offline
trapper
R

Saskatchewan
I know, I know, I’m just a dumb Canadian, I know nothing.
But in the past ten years you guys have had ten times the amount of school shootings than the rest of the world combined. To think the entire world isn’t aware is ignorant at best. Thoughts and prayers ain’t working guys, it’s time to seriously start thinking about what actually might.

Re: Michigan high school shootings [Re: rvsask] #7420212
12/02/21 10:14 AM
12/02/21 10:14 AM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by rvsask
But in the past ten years you guys have had ten times the amount of school shootings than the rest of the world combined. To think the entire world isn’t aware is ignorant at best. Thoughts and prayers ain’t working guys, it’s time to seriously start thinking about what actually might.

Got any ideas you'd like to share?

Re: Michigan high school shootings [Re: rvsask] #7420216
12/02/21 10:18 AM
12/02/21 10:18 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana

Its the culture not the device. Lock up or get rid of guns and the warped move to knifes, explosives, vehicals, toxins, or hammers. The failing is in the people not the objects or axcess to those objects. But there are those that just want to do something without thinking so they can feel good. Then pretend they didnt create a newlist of problems with their solutions.

Funny how some kids get a gun and shoot people within 4 days while other kids have unlimited axcess to guns and ammo for years and never a single issue but rather impressive outdoors men at a very young age is the result. Whats the diffrence between the two?

Last edited by Providence Farm; 12/02/21 10:24 AM.
Re: Michigan high school shootings [Re: rvsask] #7420221
12/02/21 10:22 AM
12/02/21 10:22 AM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny

Eliminating "No Gun Zones" is a place to start.Thats where all the shootings take place.Ironic hugh? Moronic is more like it.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: Michigan high school shootings [Re: Nittany Lion] #7420229
12/02/21 10:42 AM
12/02/21 10:42 AM
Wisconsin
B
Bear Tracker Offline
trapper
Bear Tracker  Offline
trapper
B

Wisconsin
Get rid of GUN FREE ZONES! Please!!!

Re: Michigan high school shootings [Re: Posco] #7420236
12/02/21 10:53 AM
12/02/21 10:53 AM
Saskatchewan
R
rvsask Offline
trapper
rvsask  Offline
trapper
R

Saskatchewan
Originally Posted by Posco

Got any ideas you'd like to share?

My ideas are meaningless, I’m just pointing out what isn’t working and that as a country you may need to work together to do so. Maybe that’s my idea, give up on the blind partisanship gripping your nation, stop seeing every single thing about the other side as evil and try to work together as a nation to make schools (malls, theatres, concerts etc) a safer place for everyone.

To see the pros and cons of each political side is not hard if you actually try. If you cannot then that blind partisanship and conditioning of the mind has pulled you too far one way.

Last edited by rvsask; 12/02/21 10:55 AM.
Re: Michigan high school shootings [Re: rvsask] #7420266
12/02/21 11:35 AM
12/02/21 11:35 AM
Georgia
warrior Online content
trapper
warrior  Online Content
trapper

Georgia

The mere suggestion is enough for me to want to fight.
What might work. Arm the teachers or at least return to the America where this did not happen. Abolish the National Gun Control Act and all unconstitutional violations of the 2A. We survived 150 years without any sort of federal gun control and didn't have mass shootings.

[Linked Image]
Re: Michigan high school shootings [Re: rvsask] #7420272
12/02/21 11:40 AM
12/02/21 11:40 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak

We lead the world in a lot of bad things. This is the price of freedom. All solutions require less freedom. Is the problem big enough you want to give up some freedom? That is the question one must ask ones self.

P.S. Most of the people in the rest of the world do not enjoy our gun ownership freedoms.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Dirt; 12/02/21 11:48 AM.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Michigan high school shootings [Re: Dirt] #7420273
12/02/21 11:44 AM
12/02/21 11:44 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by Dirt

We lead the world in a lot of bad things. This is the price of freedom. All solutions require less freedom. Is the problem big enough you want to give up some freedom? That is the question one must ask ones self.

Then ask if the giving up of freedom will work? It won't but if you give up just a little more mabe this time it will. Right

Re: Michigan high school shootings [Re: Nittany Lion] #7420277
12/02/21 11:59 AM
12/02/21 11:59 AM
Saskatchewan
R
rvsask Offline
trapper
rvsask  Offline
trapper
R

Saskatchewan
You guys rank about 50th in the world freedom index.

But your government has done a sensational job since your countries inception selling the idea of your freedom. Because so many accept that common sense gun regulation might actually work you just accept that you’re “free”. The posts pertaining to freedom prove the sales pitch has worked.

PF, simple math process giving up some amount of gun ownership “freedom” works. Math doesn’t tell lies.

Last edited by rvsask; 12/02/21 12:01 PM.
Re: Michigan high school shootings [Re: rvsask] #7420280
12/02/21 12:19 PM
12/02/21 12:19 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
You guys rank about 50th in the world freedom index.

But your government has done a sensational job since your countries inception selling the idea of your freedom. Because so many accept that common sense gun regulation might actually work you just accept that you’re “free”. The posts pertaining to freedom prove the sales pitch has worked.

PF, simple math process giving up some amount of gun ownership “freedom” works. Math doesn’t tell lies.

Use your math to make staitistice. Minupilate the data its simple to get the results you want.

Results dont lie. The places in the US with strict gun regulations are where the most shootings and violent crime occure. Its also where the left is in charge.

Re: Michigan high school shootings [Re: Nittany Lion] #7420283
12/02/21 12:21 PM
12/02/21 12:21 PM
C
coondagger2 Offline
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline
"Brat"
C

This is officially becoming the "argue about anything you like" thread, LOL

Gotta live up to the nickname...
Re: Michigan high school shootings [Re: Leftlane] #7420289
12/02/21 12:26 PM
12/02/21 12:26 PM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
Originally Posted by Leftlane
When I was in high school if you got a new gun 3 or 4 teachers and half of the student body would fully expect you to park between the HS and the cafeteria building so they could check it out after they had finished their lunch.

THat's Texas for ya! LOL

Get this, the year I lived in Costa Rica (1967) Thursday was "bring-your-machete-to-school-day" so that during a free period all the students could mow the school's lawn!

Nobody ever got hurt or attacked other students.

Last edited by beaverpeeler; 12/02/21 12:28 PM.

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: Michigan high school shootings [Re: rvsask] #7420292
12/02/21 12:29 PM
12/02/21 12:29 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
You guys rank about 15th in the world freedom index out of 162

freedom index 2021

I bet we are number 1 in gun owning freedoms.

Who is John Galt?
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread