Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: What causes excess foot damage on K9s [Re: Wanna Be] #7457639
01/11/22 06:02 PM
01/11/22 06:02 PM
Northern Mn
rick olson Offline
trapper
rick olson  Offline
trapper

Northern Mn
I think your sandy soil is more too blame sand is hard on the foot

Re: What causes excess foot damage on K9s [Re: sneaky] #7457808
01/11/22 09:11 PM
01/11/22 09:11 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Online content
trapper
Wanna Be  Online Content
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Originally Posted by sneaky
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Guess I ain’t too sharp then. Running MB550’s and when I have damage it’s in offsets. Regular jaws (same trap) I don’t. I’m nowhere experienced as y’all are and can only tell you what “I” experience. Maybe my offsets are too wide, but they are stock traps on a 24hr check.

What length chain? Shock spring? Swivels? What's your setup?

What does it matter? Does offset have to be set up differently than regular jaws?
It was mentioned about people leaving and no new comers posting or even asking questions and I see why, lol.
I didn’t state an “opinion”, I stated my EXPERIENCES and I now I see I’ll never be “one of the sharper ones” guess I’m just dull.
I can’t explain why I have different results. All traps are stock MB550’s with 12” of earth anchor. Anchor is beat into the deck up to the loop. I always anchor off to the side instead of in the bed. Some traps are offset and some regular jaw. I’m sure others experienced the same, but to keep their “sharpness”, they’ll probably keep their experiences to themselves.

Re: What causes excess foot damage on K9s [Re: Wanna Be] #7457847
01/11/22 09:44 PM
01/11/22 09:44 PM
Wisconsin
A
Average Joe Offline
trapper
Average Joe  Offline
trapper
A

Wisconsin
GA yotes are likely smaller on average with smaller feet than WI yotes. Possibly WI yotes are more likely to be held tightly with offsets while a GA yote may slip around. Also WI yotes more likely have thicker fur. These things could be a factor.
Way too many variables for a one-size-fits-all solution, as most have pointed out already. But some people just have to be right to feel superior. Don’t let it get to you.

Last edited by Average Joe; 01/11/22 09:51 PM.

I’ve been sayin yes sir all day at work, I’ve been sayin yes ma’am at home…
Re: What causes excess foot damage on K9s [Re: Yes sir] #7458006
01/12/22 12:12 AM
01/12/22 12:12 AM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Online content
trapper
bearcat2  Online Content
trapper
B

Idaho
I'll agree with the width of offset trapperbgus states. I've caught a few coyotes in wolf traps with 1/4" offset, now granted these are big traps and grab a coyote high generally, but they all had foot damage from sliding/rubbing their foot in the jaws. Last year I caught one in a wolf trap that was originally closed jawed and I welded "lugs" on the inside of the jaw to make it offset, just a cats whisker under 3/16" offset is what it came out as. Same size trap, not a drop of foot damage. Frankly I've not seen much foot damage on coyotes from any of my coyote traps, 650s (i've got inside laminated, outside laminated, and cast jaw, all offset) 3Ns, 3 B&L dbl, and a few miscellanous 3 coilsprings, all offset and four coiled, but none over 3/16" offset.

Re: What causes excess foot damage on K9s [Re: Wanna Be] #7458152
01/12/22 07:41 AM
01/12/22 07:41 AM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline
trapper
rpmartin  Offline
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Guess I ain’t too sharp then. Running MB550’s and when I have damage it’s in offsets. Regular jaws (same trap) I don’t. I’m nowhere experienced as y’all are and can only tell you what “I” experience. Maybe my offsets are too wide, but they are stock traps on a 24hr check.

Either the your not 3/16 or your not four coiled. Powering up will help hold the paw tight so there is no movement. Those two things along what has already been stated will solve your problems.

Life member,
NRA, NTA, RMEF, Pheasants Forever.
WTA,TTA,FTA,SA,GOA, member

Re: What causes excess foot damage on K9s [Re: Yes sir] #7458162
01/12/22 08:10 AM
01/12/22 08:10 AM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline
trapper
rpmartin  Offline
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Originally Posted by sneaky
[quote=Wanna Be]Guess I ain’t too sharp then. Running MB550’s and when I have damage it’s in offsets. Regular jaws (same trap) I don’t. I’m nowhere experienced as y’all are and can only tell you what “I” experience. Maybe my offsets are too wide, but they are stock traps on a 24hr check.

What does it matter? Does offset have to be set up differently than regular jaws?
It was mentioned about people leaving and no new comers posting or even asking questions and I see why, lol.
I didn’t state an “opinion”, I stated my EXPERIENCES and I now I see I’ll never be “one of the sharper ones” guess I’m just dull.
I can’t explain why I have different results. All traps are stock MB550’s with 12” of earth anchor. Anchor is beat into the deck up to the loop. I always anchor off to the side instead of in the bed. Some traps are offset and some regular jaw. I’m sure others experienced the same, but to keep their “sharpness”, they’ll probably keep their experiences to themselves.

I figured there would be a few butts that got hurt over that comment. Some people have enough common sense to fix a problem. Looks like you got it figured out with closed jaws. Now you and a few other people know how to fix your offset problems also if you ever wish to try them again. Good luck

Also sand dosen't matter, if the foot can't move in the trap the sand is a non issue.

Life member,

Re: What causes excess foot damage on K9s [Re: Yes sir] #7458184
01/12/22 08:32 AM
01/12/22 08:32 AM
Midland, MI.
Seldom Offline
trapper
Seldom  Offline
trapper

Midland, MI.
This has been an interesting thread to say the least. I use traps where there is NEVER a question of the coyote’s foot slipping because nothing moves once they’re in a Jake! NOTHING! Did I mention I have a bunch of Jakes for sale? LOL

"A few want to know WHY, the majority appear to be satisfied just knowing HOW!"
Youtube Channel- SeldomFales
Re: What causes excess foot damage on K9s [Re: Wanna Be] #7458250
01/12/22 10:09 AM
01/12/22 10:09 AM
alabama
steeltraps Offline
trapper
steeltraps  Offline
trapper

alabama

Wanna Be. I would not beat myself up to badly about this ^^^^ it happens. IF you catch enough coyotes you will have damage sooner or latter no matter what you do. Prime example = bout 4 years ago caught a coyote in a = New 4 coiled MB 550 os. 24 hr check Not in grass No swivel damage. The coyote was caught high up the paw as you could catch 1 in a MB 550 Quess what ? He left me a paw and 6 inch of twisted tendion. Hate when this happens - But my point ?? IF YOU catch enough coyotes damage will happen!! Try your best to see that it doesnt. Then go on with life. IF I have 5 % foot damage. That a low number right? 5% of 541 coyotes is 25 plus coyotes? 25 coyotes sounds bad doesn’t it? Only to anti’s and liberals

Re: What causes excess foot damage on K9s [Re: Yes sir] #7458311
01/12/22 11:25 AM
01/12/22 11:25 AM
Ohio
M
MattDoyle Offline
trapper
MattDoyle  Offline
trapper
M

Ohio
This has been a great read, but it has left me with some questions. I trap because I enjoy it. I only intentionally target coyotes, (aside from clearing out coons and opossums) but my fox population is exploding and my coyote population seems to be on the decline. I do not attempt to catch fox. I like fox. They don’t hurt anything, and I try to release them as unharmed as possible. I am primarily running 550’s 2 coiled, solely for the reason that I catch so many fox, not bc I’m short on other options. They do a decent job of not causing excessive foot damage. The few instances I’ve had with more foot damage than I like, have been during instances where it was excessively muddy. This goes along with what many have stated about paw slip casing damage. Now for the questions… If a 3/16” offset is ideal for minimizing the damage to the foot of a coyote, what does that make the ideal offset for a fox? If I’m understanding what has been said correctly, should I 4 coil these traps in an attempt to reduce the foot damage on fox? Should I also reduce that 3/16” offset in an attempt to minimize paw slip? Let’s be honest here, while I don’t want to see damage on fox OR coyotes, I’m not releasing the coyotes, so if decreasing that 3/16” offset benefits the fox and only marginally increases the foot damage on coyotes, I can live with that.

Matt

Re: What causes excess foot damage on K9s [Re: scarfer] #7458347
01/12/22 12:16 PM
01/12/22 12:16 PM
Louisiana
M
MattLA Offline
trapper
MattLA  Offline
trapper
M

Louisiana
Originally Posted by scarfer

I see you joined last month and stated you were a new trapper

What experience do you have to.make the above post

These folks have caught thousands of critters

Sometimes its smart to listen

Sometimes you don't have to be an expert in trapping or any other sport to understand mechanical or technical design, which applies in this case. Am I an expert hunter? Nope, but I can design and build machine guns, suppressors and other various things that are used during hunting. I mean since you asked nicely, I am an expert in the radio frequency realm, I have designed, tested antennas and radomes that go on our country's finest equipment that fly high in the sky. I have my FFL07, a stack of AK parts, stoner63 parts, and a mix of a lot of other things in that area that deal with technical and mechanical design. Finally and probably the most important quality of my experience is my ability to read which I know may be foreign to you and the other fella, not only this forum, but all of the patent designs, BMP reports, state reports, books, research papers, laws, and other written material, all which indicate what I stated above is/was the design intent of offset jaws. What the end result may be can differ, since that is the difference between theory and practicality.

For the person who asked about paws slipping around, if you use the appropriate sized trap, both sides of the paw will be enclosed in the offset. Again I am simply talking about the stated design purpose of the offset, not what people experience when using them. So if we were using an offset built for raccoon, the entire length of it would be maybe half an inch wider than his paws so that it would limit his ability to "slide it".

Re: What causes excess foot damage on K9s [Re: MattDoyle] #7458370
01/12/22 12:40 PM
01/12/22 12:40 PM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline
trapper
rpmartin  Offline
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Originally Posted by MattDoyle
This has been a great read, but it has left me with some questions. I trap because I enjoy it. I only intentionally target coyotes, (aside from clearing out coons and opossums) but my fox population is exploding and my coyote population seems to be on the decline. I do not attempt to catch fox. I like fox. They don’t hurt anything, and I try to release them as unharmed as possible. I am primarily running 550’s 2 coiled, solely for the reason that I catch so many fox, not bc I’m short on other options. They do a decent job of not causing excessive foot damage. The few instances I’ve had with more foot damage than I like, have been during instances where it was excessively muddy. This goes along with what many have stated about paw slip casing damage. Now for the questions… If a 3/16” offset is ideal for minimizing the damage to the foot of a coyote, what does that make the ideal offset for a fox? If I’m understanding what has been said correctly, should I 4 coil these traps in an attempt to reduce the foot damage on fox? Should I also reduce that 3/16” offset in an attempt to minimize paw slip? Let’s be honest here, while I don’t want to see damage on fox OR coyotes, I’m not releasing the coyotes, so if decreasing that 3/16” offset benefits the fox and only marginally increases the foot damage on coyotes, I can live with that.

Matt

Very good question with no ideal answer. First of all thank you for trying to minimize damage. No way we can to 0% damage period. But as trappers we automatically take on the responsibility to at least try to get the percentage to as close to zero as possible. With todays technology some work and a little thought it's really not that hard. Trust me, if I can do it then anybody can do it. Don't listen to anyone that says it dosen't matter. That is exactly what the antis love to hear because it looks and sounds really bad.

With that said imho I would take another 1/32 or maybe 1/16 off and try that. You will have to test it out to see what works best. I would also raise my pan tension to around 5 or 6 pounds. You will have to test this too. Good luck

Last edited by rpmartin; 01/12/22 12:42 PM.

Life member,

Re: What causes excess foot damage on K9s [Re: MattLA] #7458409
01/12/22 01:24 PM
01/12/22 01:24 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
Originally Posted by Tofan
Originally Posted by scarfer

I see you joined last month and stated you were a new trapper

What experience do you have to.make the above post

These folks have caught thousands of critters

Sometimes its smart to listen

Sometimes you don't have to be an expert in trapping or any other sport to understand mechanical or technical design, which applies in this case. Am I an expert hunter? Nope, but I can design and build machine guns, suppressors and other various things that are used during hunting. I mean since you asked nicely, I am an expert in the radio frequency realm, I have designed, tested antennas and radomes that go on our country's finest equipment that fly high in the sky. I have my FFL07, a stack of AK parts, stoner63 parts, and a mix of a lot of other things in that area that deal with technical and mechanical design. Finally and probably the most important quality of my experience is my ability to read which I know may be foreign to you and the other fella, not only this forum, but all of the patent designs, BMP reports, state reports, books, research papers, laws, and other written material, all which indicate what I stated above is/was the design intent of offset jaws. What the end result may be can differ, since that is the difference between theory and practicality.

For the person who asked about paws slipping around, if you use the appropriate sized trap, both sides of the paw will be enclosed in the offset. Again I am simply talking about the stated design purpose of the offset, not what people experience when using them. So if we were using an offset built for raccoon, the entire length of it would be maybe half an inch wider than his paws so that it would limit his ability to "slide it".

There is no substitute for experience. Research will turn up a crap-load of misinformation. There's quite a bit right here on this thread as some of experienced coyote trappers have pointed out.

Re: What causes excess foot damage on K9s [Re: Yes sir] #7458419
01/12/22 01:33 PM
01/12/22 01:33 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline OP
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline OP
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Tofan
You may have knowledge and experience in some areas but I've seen you post 3 comments now that makes it obvious you have no experience about what you posted about because your completely wrong.

Pretty easy to spot someone with real experience and someone that got their ideas on the couch.

I'd like you to find me a offset coyote trap where the offset is only as wide as the paw. I suggested it might be an ides in a post but right now that isn't how the offset is designed. The offset came about from my understanding to give a better lockup before better and stronger coyote traps were available. The offset gives the illusion it doesn't pinch the foot as tight and that is were your lack of experience is taking you down the wrong path again.

Last edited by Yes sir; 01/12/22 01:43 PM.
Re: What causes excess foot damage on K9s [Re: Yes sir] #7458453
01/12/22 02:02 PM
01/12/22 02:02 PM
alabama
steeltraps Offline
trapper
steeltraps  Offline
trapper

alabama
What causes excess foot damage on K9s ? The K9s. Thats the real truth. Some coyotes lay their like its there last day on earth. Some fight the trap like they can free themselves. Aniamls are individual’s. Their for you will never get NO damage what so ever IF you trap lots of them. I have tried LOTS of new things. Longer chains on my MJ 600 Sterlings AND mid length swivels. Still getting some foot damage. Lets be homest here. 36 to 72 hr check on staked down aniamal WILL have some foot damage no matter what offset chain length or amount of swivels and shock absorbers you put into it. Try to do you best to reduce foot damage if you can. But sometimes it doesn’t matter if what you do. It will happen

Re: What causes excess foot damage on K9s [Re: Yes sir] #7458478
01/12/22 02:23 PM
01/12/22 02:23 PM
montana
R
red mt Offline
trapper
red mt  Offline
trapper
R

montana
I agree with steel traps, I've seen coyotes on 24 hrs in muddy conditions look pretty bad I ve seen coyotes on 72hrs in dry conditions look like they were just caught which they could have been but not all of that check day could of all them just been caught.
Imo all can do is try to make your set up be as friendly as possible and go with that. On a extended check it's pretty important. Imo I have real good results using longer chains as they seem to relax better once out of that mud hole at the stake let them move when they want to .

Last edited by red mt; 01/12/22 02:25 PM.

Kenneth schoening
Re: What causes excess foot damage on K9s [Re: red mt] #7458497
01/12/22 02:45 PM
01/12/22 02:45 PM
alabama
steeltraps Offline
trapper
steeltraps  Offline
trapper

alabama
Red Mt. Is it worth buying Sterling Swivels and adding an extra one at the mid chain length??? On 36 inch and 2 Sterling Swivels and kinkless chain. I thought about adding 1 more Sterling Nail Swivel. Would it help? I would it be worht the time and money??

Re: What causes excess foot damage on K9s [Re: Yes sir] #7458638
01/12/22 05:51 PM
01/12/22 05:51 PM
montana
R
red mt Offline
trapper
red mt  Offline
trapper
R

montana
Mr. Steel traps, you can make those sterling swivels easy please so I got 3 on a trap and 36 inches of chain. And run victor montys and going use the Harris trap a bit more. I am in process of putting every trap I own on a drag and long chain 15 ft. Using a good hook.
I have been experimenting this year on how far a coyote could drag them in the open pasture with little to no brush in that field I was pleasantly surprised with results . This spring when I start spring calving trapping for a few ranchers around home here will be the next test. But check time's will be different .I generally run a 3 day check.
Hope that answer's the question or at least give's you some food for thought.
Red

Kenneth schoening
Re: What causes excess foot damage on K9s [Re: Yes sir] #7458732
01/12/22 07:29 PM
01/12/22 07:29 PM
Louisiana
M
MattLA Offline
trapper
MattLA  Offline
trapper
M

Louisiana
Originally Posted by Yes sir
Tofan
You may have knowledge and experience in some areas but I've seen you post 3 comments now that makes it obvious you have no experience about what you posted about because your completely wrong.

Pretty easy to spot someone with real experience and someone that got their ideas on the couch.

I'd like you to find me a offset coyote trap where the offset is only as wide as the paw. I suggested it might be an ides in a post but right now that isn't how the offset is designed. The offset came about from my understanding to give a better lockup before better and stronger coyote traps were available. The offset gives the illusion it doesn't pinch the foot as tight and that is were your lack of experience is taking you down the wrong path again.

They don't exist, I wont find them, nor will anybody else. Just like there are no offsets designed specifically for animals, but the entire point of the post was to talk about original design intent. I am going to repeat that I am not arguing what happens in the field, only what the original design intent was. The earlier gentlemen who quoted my OG post, asked about sliding in the trap, which I said would be alleviated by an offset cut specific to the animal, not that they existed in the current market.

My only point was to talk about the design, not what happens in the field. I apologize if this got mixed up in the post.

Last edited by Tofan; 01/12/22 08:39 PM. Reason: Clarity
Re: What causes excess foot damage on K9s [Re: Yes sir] #7459757
01/13/22 05:38 PM
01/13/22 05:38 PM
Oakland, MS
Drifter Offline
trapper
Drifter  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
I got started on live market around 6 years ago. Before that I was fur trapping but noted the foot damage on mainly coyote. I tried closed jaws as well as offsets and still was more damage then I wanted. I first tried to modify # 2 Victor double longs with inside as well as outside laminations. That was a dismal failure to say the least. They still cut feet badly.

I tried Montgomery dogless #3 as many were singing the praises of them. I found I liked the dogless design but without laminations the feet weren't what I found acceptable. I moved on to #2 Bridgers offsets and laminated them inside and out. It improved but like many others found still not what I wanted for feet. Tried the MB 550 offsets next even polished the jaws like a mirror with a hand held band sander. That did improve them some. Tried Montana specials as well as Jake traps. IMO I would prefer them to be a # 2 size for what I am wanting. I went back to my #2 Bridgers with laminations which I am now thinking will try them 4 coiled and see if can figure out a way to add a coating to help hold as well as cushion the feet. I change out the springs for # 2 music wire before ever setting them as I have found some I thought were too light fresh out of the box.

Most of my catches are in the wide open which may have them fighting the trap harder. The nail swivels J C Connor makes are my swivel of choice as even the possum doesn't usually clog them like the regular ones. I also run hos shock springs at the anchor end on all my predator traps.

Some individuals use statistics as a drunk man uses lamp-posts — for support rather than for illumination.

Andrew Lang (1844-1912) Scottish poet, novelist and literary critic

Life member NTA , and GA Trappers assoc .
Re: What causes excess foot damage on K9s [Re: steeltraps] #7461292
01/15/22 05:25 AM
01/15/22 05:25 AM
Southern Michigan
T
trappergbus Offline
trapper
trappergbus  Offline
trapper
T

Southern Michigan
Originally Posted by steeltraps
What causes excess foot damage on K9s ? The K9s. Thats the real truth. Some coyotes lay their like its there last day on earth. Some fight the trap like they can free themselves. Aniamls are individual’s. Their for you will never get NO damage what so ever IF you trap lots of them. I have tried LOTS of new things. Longer chains on my MJ 600 Sterlings AND mid length swivels. Still getting some foot damage. Lets be homest here. 36 to 72 hr check on staked down aniamal WILL have some foot damage no matter what offset chain length or amount of swivels and shock absorbers you put into it. Try to do you best to reduce foot damage if you can. But sometimes it doesn’t matter if what you do. It will happen

Yep, totally agree with that statement. What works for the most will never work for all! All we can do is use the best designed gear we have available, and the rest is up to the coyote hims/herself. Dang coyotes anyway. Some just don't behave! It's the mass total that counts!

Back before coyotes showed up here I trapped fox coon mixed lines. Used Monty 1.5 rjs and 2s. Some had 3/16th offsets, some were closed jaws. I was trying to figure out how to hold more dry coon. Held more in the offsets but new I could improve. Noticed how many more I lost in the closed jaws. The jaw surface was rounded Stock. So I ground them to a flat surface, the offset gap ended up 1/8th. The coon losses dropped big time and the paw damage with reds and greys practically disappeared. After the grinding I added swivels and chain. 16 inches to the anchor point. My coon losses went from 50 percent to 10 percent with those 2 modifications. They were all center swiveled with chain wrapped around the frame and 4 coiled and lamed. When coyotes appeared those same 1.5 monties became coyote traps. Zero losses with the 1.5s , the 2s were a big problem tho. Even 4 coiled. with the 1.5s the misses were off the charts tho.

Last edited by trappergbus; 01/15/22 05:47 AM.

Common sense catches alot of fur..
Pay homage to all you harvest..
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91