ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Squirrel excluder door - how long to leave in plac #7466386
01/19/22 09:39 PM
01/19/22 09:39 PM
Tennessee
T
TNADC Offline OP
trapper
TNADC  Offline OP
trapper
T

Tennessee
Knowledge base,

I have a squirrel job and I have located the only opening leading to the attic. I have installed a one way door over it and put a couple baited traps in the attic. I am wondering if there is a rule of thumb on how long to leave the one way door in place before sealing it up.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards, Wally

Re: Squirrel excluder door - how long to leave in plac [Re: TNADC] #7466767
01/20/22 09:06 AM
01/20/22 09:06 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Only down side with exclusion with squirrels this time of year is chew ins can and may occur in some situations. I prefer to trap them out with a colony trap if possible or multiple single catch traps set around the access hole or climbing point to the access area.

Most squirrels will forage nearly every day unless inclement weather holds them indoors for a few days. Many or most will have a food cache inside to tie them over for short periods if they have been living there for a while and have had time to prepare for winter.

I don't ever set traps in attics or structures unless it is absolutely necessary and the only option. Too inconveniencing to me and the client. This is something that you will learn along the way.

Re: Squirrel excluder door - how long to leave in plac [Re: TNADC] #7466819
01/20/22 10:16 AM
01/20/22 10:16 AM
N Central Iowa 40+
iayogi17 Offline
trapper
iayogi17  Offline
trapper

N Central Iowa 40+
I very rarely install just a one-way for squirrels as they'll just move over and chew right back in. If I do install a one-way I'll also set some traps on the outside of the hole to catch the squirrels as they try to figure their way back in.

Brad Mohr
Re: Squirrel excluder door - how long to leave in plac [Re: TNADC] #7466853
01/20/22 11:04 AM
01/20/22 11:04 AM
Nashville, TN 27 y/o
J
JoeyHalk Offline
trapper
JoeyHalk  Offline
trapper
J

Nashville, TN 27 y/o
Both really good answers and mine is very similar.

I don't use just one way doors and I never set squirrel traps inside unless I can't find the opening which is uncommon. I don't like making appointments to check traps in attics. One way doors and not catching the right squirrels means they will just chew in elsewhere (not always but a lot). I temp close all holes but one and set a one way trap over the hole most times with baited cages close to it.

I always leave it a few days with no catches and check with the homeowner/tenant to make sure they don't hear any noises before sealing up.

once you go trap, you never come back

www.halkerswildlifecontrol.com
Re: Squirrel excluder door - how long to leave in plac [Re: TNADC] #7467324
01/20/22 07:18 PM
01/20/22 07:18 PM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
Based on my area, they have young