ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Turtle Guy's #7516056
03/03/22 02:57 PM
03/03/22 02:57 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline OP
trapper
Getting There  Offline OP
trapper
G

West Michigan
I would like to thank Aix and others that have responded to my other Post. A lot of good information.
A little background on my experience with turtles, little to none!
About 45 years ago I picked up a snapping turtle crossing the road. I knew not to pick them up on the biting end and they had long necks. First thing I did was clean the turtle up to get the mud off. I removed the head and left to have for a few hours.
I spent the next 2.5 to 3 hours trying to get the meat out of the shell, there was no you-tube back them.
So, my game plan is to buy a live turtle and skin it and see if it still tastes like I remember. If it does, I will build a couple traps. My wife is an outstanding cook of all types of wild game. Our trapping season starts July 15th. I have everything I need to build a trap out of wire.
I know where there are some small ponds. I will be doing a lot of scouting beforehand. Have you ever heard to tying up a turtle?
by taking a long length of wire and get the turtle to snap on it the pull the wire tight and wrap the wire around the shell back to the tail and twist the wire tight.

Thanks again to all

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Turtle Guy's [Re: Getting There] #7516241
03/03/22 05:27 PM
03/03/22 05:27 PM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
Not sure what you’re asking. Tying them up for what purpose? To keep them alive for safe transport, for dispatch, or for some other purpose?

Re: Turtle Guy's [Re: Getting There] #7516293
03/03/22 06:18 PM
03/03/22 06:18 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Don't understand why you would torture a turtle like that? To dispatch for cooking, lop off the head and hang up by the tail to bleed out.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Turtle Guy's [Re: Getting There] #7516309
03/03/22 06:34 PM
03/03/22 06:34 PM
Eastern W by God V
Crowfoot Offline
trapper
Crowfoot  Offline
trapper

Eastern W by God V
Originally Posted by Getting There
Have you ever heard to tying up a turtle?
by taking a long length of wire and get the turtle to snap on it the pull the wire tight and wrap the wire around the shell back to the tail and twist the wire tight.

Thanks again to all

That's exactly how we did it for many years. No torture whatsoever.
Get behind the turtle, get the wire cross-ways in the mouth at its midpoint, bring the wire to the tail keeping it above the legs but below the shell.
Cross the ends of the wire above the tail but below the shell, pull it pretty tight and twist it a few times.
Lay the turtle on its back on clear flat ground and go after another one. He can't turn over if he can't stretch his neck out or hook a claw on something.
We caught them on hook and line, would fish most all day and sometimes get 6 or more. Had to make several trips to get the to the truck a few times.
It don't hurt them a bit, just frustrates the heck out of em.

Re: Turtle Guy's [Re: Crowfoot] #7516497
03/03/22 09:42 PM
03/03/22 09:42 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline OP
trapper
trapper
G

West Michigan
Originally Posted by Crowfoot
Have you ever heard to tying up a turtle?

Thanks again to all

That's exactly how we did it for many years. No torture whatsoever.
Get behind the turtle, get the wire cross-ways in the mouth at its midpoint, bring the wire to the tail keeping it above the legs but below the shell.
Cross the ends of the wire above the tail but below the shell, pull it pretty tight and twist it a few times.
Lay the turtle on its back on clear flat ground and go after another one. He can't turn over if he can't stretch his neck out or hook a claw on something.
We caught them on hook and line, would fish most all day and sometimes get 6 or more. Had to make several trips to get the to the truck a few times.
It don't hurt them a bit, just frustrates the heck out of em.

Crowfoot:
Thank you for your reply. I trap mole most of the summer. My truck is full of mole trapping supplies. I do not have the room for any big container in the truck while checking mole traps. I would like to use a smaller tote to put a turtle in to transport them home in.
Just want to make sure it is safe for me and the turtle.
Years ago, I heard to keep a small bottle, the type you spray in your nose full of ammonia to spray in the turtles not to get them to let go. Now this is just hear say information. I know I will get a lot of grief about this. You just never know! Thanks!

Last edited by Getting There; 03/03/22 09:43 PM.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Turtle Guy's [Re: Getting There] #7516502
03/03/22 09:46 PM
03/03/22 09:46 PM
Louisiana
AirportTrapper Offline
trapper
AirportTrapper  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
Burlap sacks are great for turtle transport.

If it makes a track on this earth , I can catch it.
Re: Turtle Guy's [Re: Getting There] #7516539
03/03/22 10:17 PM
03/03/22 10:17 PM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
First I’ve heard of the ammonia trick. I haven’t been bitten by a snapper, yet, but I always figured I’d need to try to pry their jaws if it came down to it. I’m pretty careful about how I grab them. Back legs or tail for me.

As far as keeping them, underestimate their ability to escape and you’re going to lose snappers. They’re really good at escaping, and if you just put a good one in the back of your truck and drive off, you might as well consider them lost.

Your mentioning wire is interesting. Sounds like it’d work. First I’ve heard of it. I’ve usually used some sort of box or cage that can be closed, be it a pet taxi, ice chest, toolbox, or wire cage. You could also put a zip tie around a leg and tie it off, or any other creative way you can secure them, but keep in mind if you let them crawl around, especially with equipment in the bed of a truck, they’re probably gone.

Good luck whatever you decide, all this turtle talk is making me hungry! I like them cooked in a sauce piquant or fried

Re: Turtle Guy's [Re: Getting There] #7516867
03/04/22 09:33 AM
03/04/22 09:33 AM
Eastern W by God V
Crowfoot Offline
trapper
Crowfoot  Offline
trapper

Eastern W by God V
Sometimes when we would go and clear a pond, or where ever we could get the truck close, we'd take a 55 gal drum along in the back and put the turtles in as we caught them. You'd think they would snap at each other, but they never did. The barrel took up little room in the bed and they can't get out (unless you stack them in too deep) Add a little water to keep them cool. Have to be careful getting them out too !
We called that wire deal a bridle. We also "bridled" them so the kids could carry them to the truck by the tail more safely. Too many times your arm gradually lowers and that bugger snaps onto the side of your pant leg. And on occasion, gets a pinch of meat ! That neck can reach just about the length of the shell. The bridle breaks that up.

Re: Turtle Guy's [Re: Getting There] #7516942
03/04/22 10:43 AM
03/04/22 10:43 AM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
Thanks for new knowledge about the turtle harness!

Aix does not exaggerate at all about their escape abilities. They can climb right out of a truck bed! To get down, they glide down just like a flying squirrel!

I have been catching snappers almost since they were invented! When I was a kid, a cool old guy with scarred fingers taught me how to take them out of their shell.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Turtle Guy's [Re: Getting There] #7517092
03/04/22 12:59 PM
03/04/22 12:59 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline OP
trapper
trapper
G

West Michigan
Willy:
It has been over 50 since I have cleaned a turtle. There was no You-Tube in those days.
This is my game plan.
1. buy a turtle to dress and eat, if we still like it and is worth the effort I will build a trap.
2. set the trap to catch a turtle over 13 inches after July 15th.
3. Put the turtle in water for 7 days plus
4 Dispatch the turtle and let it hang for a few hours
5 cut around the shell to get ready to skin
6 I will use Randy Meyer system of using the vise grips to hold the turtle while skinning.
7 finish detailing the meat and put is salt water for 8 hours
that's the plan.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Turtle Guy's [Re: Getting There] #7517580
03/04/22 09:07 PM
03/04/22 09:07 PM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
The way I was taught to clean them is pretty easy. I take a heavy knife or cleaver and place it on the edges of the plastron. I then lightly strike the back of the blade with a hammer or something solid.

Once this is done, everything else kind of falls into place and is much like dressing other animals.

I can give you a couple recipes if you’re interested, send me a Private Message.

Re: Turtle Guy's [Re: Getting There] #7517698
03/04/22 10:29 PM
03/04/22 10:29 PM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
Getting there -
Your turtle plan sounds good.
Do you know where to buy a turtle? The Shell Station!
I simplify a few steps. A .22 pistol helps.
There is a seam where the top and bottom connect. A knife cuts through.
I use two 2x6 boards fastened to make a 90° corner screwed to a table top and pull the shell towards the corner as I work.
Remember the tenderloins inside the shell.
The rest sounds good.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Turtle Guy's [Re: Getting There] #7564316
04/20/22 03:05 PM
04/20/22 03:05 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
If you want to remove the head from a turtle, set it on the ground, take a long handle pair of pliers and allow the turtle to bite it, then YOU clamp down hard too.
Set one foot on the shell, (with enough weight to hold it in place), then pull toward you with the pliers, causing the neck to extend.
With a long- bladed knife, cut just beneath the jaw line.
The head will be removed easily. . .

Re: Turtle Guy's [Re: LT GREY] #7564618
04/20/22 07:28 PM
04/20/22 07:28 PM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
Originally Posted by LT GREY
If you want to remove the head from a turtle, set it on the ground, take a long handle pair of pliers and allow the turtle to bite it, then YOU clamp down hard too.
Set one foot on the shell, (with enough weight to hold it in place), then pull toward you with the pliers, causing the neck to extend.
With a long- bladed knife, cut just beneath the jaw line.
The head will be removed easily. . .

...just make sure you don’t let the head bite you after you cut it.

I need to get and clean a few turtles for a sauce soon.

Re: Turtle Guy's [Re: Getting There] #7564714
04/20/22 08:28 PM
04/20/22 08:28 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline OP
trapper
trapper
G

West Michigan
Aix
We cannot trap turtles until July 15th. My dad trapped turtles when I was young, but that was many many years ago.
He would always put a stick in the turtle's mouth when he cut it off. I was only around 10 years old at the time.
Thanks for the heads up! LT Gray have you ever heard of shooting them first. I have made a small gaff hook to add in their head removal. Like everyone has said, watch their long neck.
Ev.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Turtle Guy's [Re: Getting There] #7564763
04/20/22 08:58 PM
04/20/22 08:58 PM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
Aix
We cannot trap turtles until July 15th. My dad trapped turtles when I was young, but that was many many years ago.
He would always put a stick in the turtle's mouth when he cut it off. I was only around 10 years old at the time.
Thanks for the heads up! LT Gray have you ever heard of shooting them first. I have made a small gaff hook to add in their head removal. Like everyone has said, watch their long neck.
Ev.

When it comes to cleaning them, I think using pliers and a knife is the way to go, but I suppose you could shoot them if you wanted to.

Pliers and a knife works very, very well

Re: Turtle Guy's [Re: Getting There] #7566463
04/22/22 01:35 PM
04/22/22 01:35 PM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
The pliers and knife method works fine. I prefer to shoot once in the head first. Faster and safer.
Then proceed as mentioned above.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Turtle Guy's [Re: Getting There] #7566641
04/22/22 05:45 PM
04/22/22 05:45 PM
Chauncey, Ohio
W
wormbobskey Offline
trapper
wormbobskey  Offline
trapper
W

Chauncey, Ohio
I never used wire but would tie some 550 cord onto the end of a 3/4-1" diameter stick about 6" long, get the turtle to open its mouth and let it bite the stick at the middle, take the 550 cord around its shell just like mentioned above with the wire and tie off to the other end of the stick. Sort of like an oversized bridle and bit for a horse. Keeps the turtle from being able to bite but you still have to deal with the claws on its feet.

OSTA
Lanums ADC & Repair
We don't do bugs
Re: Turtle Guy's [Re: Getting There] #7567181
04/23/22 08:18 AM
04/23/22 08:18 AM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
If not interested in making one quick shot, this is what I do.
Use any tool - a 3/4” open end wrench works well. (Or 11/16” - but no metric sizes.)
Get the turtle to bite or when it opens its mouth to hiss put the wrench in its mouth. Push down pinning the jaw to the ground. Securely grab the head behind the mouth. Drop the wrench. While still holding the head use a sharp knife and cut off the head. I have done this many times before realizing that it is best to just shoot the turtle in the head with a .22.
Proceed at your own peril.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread