No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: shorter shotguns [Re: Orlando] #7546313
04/01/22 11:22 PM
04/01/22 11:22 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline OP
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline OP
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Orlando
Picked up a police 870 wingmaster about 30 years ago. Not sure if it has a 18 or 20" barrel. It came with a cylinder bore and I had it tapped for choke tubes. Adding a mag extension gives an 8 shot capacity - which helps it swing better - (have to plug it for dove & ducks). I enjoy carrying an O/U. But after hunting pheasants, quail, dove, ducks, turkeys, and coyotes for many years, if I really want to be proficient at taking game...the 870 "Rooster Booster" is what I use. It is incredibly quick to get on target. It started out with a nice shiny finish. After the finish wore off and got a lot of "field character" I gave it a rattle can paint job.
A short gun is also a lot more effective than you think at a distance with the right choke tubes.

very nice gun, I like the rattle can camo job

I have the OEM Rem mag tube extension to take it to 8 rounds , I find it more weight than I like to lug around most of the time int he field walking, I will be putting it on for 3 gun this summer it may stay on if I get used to it.

the 20" barrel has room for the +3 mag tube to take it to 7+1 the 18" only has room for the +2 mage tube 6+1

want to talk about crazy we have a +8 Nordic tube for an 870 my son runs in 3 gun makes it a 12+1 shotgun it sticks out past the 28 inch barrel a few inches. try finding a case to fit that.

I know pump guns are not the norm in 3-gun or rather USPSA multi-gun similar to 3-gun but USPSA. we are probably the most budget multi gun shooters I have seen , it is great practice but my truck costs less than some guys shotguns.

in our class you can only pre-load 10 but I found a deal on the +8 round so I went with it

We had trap tonight , I don't get to shoot often at trap it is for the kids , but we were early and got setup with time to spare so I got a quick round in . shot a 23 missed the first bird and one in the middle that went left I was a touch ahead of it and backed off on the lead and broke the rest.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: shorter shotguns [Re: Wallace] #7546317
04/01/22 11:25 PM
04/01/22 11:25 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Wallace
It all depends on what I'm doing. In the field I prefer a shorter barrel. To the extreme I have single shot H&R that I cut the barrel down to 18" and took a couple inches of the stock. It will breakdown and fit in a backpack.Itfits good in a spot in my sxs. Ive killed a deer and a turkey with it.
If i want to shoot fast give me a long barrel. My 3 gun shotgun has 28" barrel and a 30 inch tube. I can run 0.20 splits all on target. I can't do that with my shorter guns.

the long barrel is definitly more forgiving than the short barrels

what re you running for your 3 gun Rig?

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: shorter shotguns [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7546319
04/01/22 11:29 PM
04/01/22 11:29 PM
Arkansas
W
Wallace Offline
trapper
Wallace  Offline
trapper
W

Arkansas
Stoeger M3K. Poor man's Benelli

Re: shorter shotguns [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7546332
04/01/22 11:49 PM
04/01/22 11:49 PM
Saucier, Mississippi Harrison ...
T
turkn8rtrapper Offline
trapper
turkn8rtrapper  Offline
trapper
T

Saucier, Mississippi Harrison ...
A shotgun has a full powder burn in 16" That's why the test data showed the 18" with optimal performance. The only thing a longer barrel gives you is a longer sight plain and better balance that's why longer barrels are used for wing shooting and clays and so forth. I have several rifled slug guns in the 20" area and the longest turkey gun has a 24". I have many with 28" barrels and I prefer them for wing shooting. All my short barrel shotguns have some type of sights on them mostly reflex type which takes care of the sight plain issue.

"Skin that smokewagon and see what happens"
Re: shorter shotguns [Re: Wallace] #7546334
04/01/22 11:58 PM
04/01/22 11:58 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin

nice , I have my eye on that new 940 Jm pro , but I don't see it happening this year.

Re: shorter shotguns [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7546336
04/01/22 11:59 PM
04/01/22 11:59 PM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
Thirty years ago Remington made a special upland model 1100 with a 21” barrel with Remchoke tubes and nice bluing and nice wood. I bought a barrel as an extra for my 1100 3” magnum. No problems with different loads. Makes a nice pheasant gun.

An even better pheasant gun is the Ruger Red Label over under with 28” barrels. Very nimble.

For waterfowl, I prefer the 1980s 1100 3” magnum with the 28” barrel, or the 1930s Winchester Model 12 3” magnum heavy duck gun, or the ugly Beretta Extrema 3.5” with 28” barrel.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: shorter shotguns [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7546506
04/02/22 08:34 AM
04/02/22 08:34 AM
Arkansas
W
Wallace Offline
trapper
Wallace  Offline
trapper
W

Arkansas
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

nice , I have my eye on that new 940 Jm pro , but I don't see it happening this year.

That 940 looks pretty nice. I don't hear near the reliability complaints that I did with the 930.
My only hesitation is the receiver doesn't look to have enough meat in front of the loading port to allow me to open it up like I like to for quad loading. If you aren't quad loading (or just better at it than me) then the 940 is a pretty slick set up.

Re: shorter shotguns [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7546514
04/02/22 08:43 AM
04/02/22 08:43 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Remember reading the only loss of performance was the shorter amount of the barrel in a Turkey gun article.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: shorter shotguns [Re: Wallace] #7546543
04/02/22 09:27 AM
04/02/22 09:27 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin

That 940 looks pretty nice. I don't hear near the reliability complaints that I did with the 930.
My only hesitation is the receiver doesn't look to have enough meat in front of the loading port to allow me to open it up like I like to for quad loading. If you aren't quad loading (or just better at it than me) then the 940 is a pretty slick set up.

I am just getting started so no quad loading yet

my other thought is the 940 tactical they just cam out with as a sort of all around gun use it for everything and don't worry about being slow in 3gun since it is just for practice for me.

in USPSA I am happy to just run middle of the pack in limited and run each stage reasonably clean I am the only person I am really competing with , I have no deletions of grandeur

Re: shorter shotguns [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7549616
04/05/22 07:19 PM
04/05/22 07:19 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Barrel arrived

not sure how it shoots , test that Friday.

but it sure carries easy.
[Linked Image]

Re: shorter shotguns [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7549711
04/05/22 09:00 PM
04/05/22 09:00 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

I always liked the way a longer barrel points and swings but back in KS i used to hunt quail with a guy who had and antique Petro Beretta with 24 in barrels and just about the time I would get a bead on a quail he would knock it down. A couple times I would switch to a 2nd bird and he dusted it too. I called him everything but a Caucasian grin

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: shorter shotguns [Re: Leftlane] #7549731
04/05/22 09:15 PM
04/05/22 09:15 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Leftlane
I always liked the way a longer barrel points and swings but back in KS i used to hunt quail with a guy who had and antique Petro Beretta with 24 in barrels and just about the time I would get a bead on a quail he would knock it down. A couple times I would switch to a 2nd bird and he dusted it too. I called him everything but a Caucasian grin

did well with the rifle sights and a full choke on the 870 last week , we will see how this one does Friday.

I can see where long swings nice

I am hoping short also means fast , I think practice is more likely to mean fast

when I was getting my son ready for his first 3 gun match I would take a stack of clay in my hand and start Frisbeeing them as fast as I could.
it get interesting when you get past how many shells were in the gun , you have to get real fast feeding

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 04/05/22 09:20 PM.

Re: shorter shotguns [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7552852
04/09/22 12:06 AM
04/09/22 12:06 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
well I like it

took a touch of getting used to how light it was if you don't keep swinging the weight of it does nothing to keep you swinging

shot a 20 in the dark and wind after the kids had shot.

my son shot a round and shot a 23 , before I got a chance to try it.
patterns decent at 35 yards

Re: shorter shotguns [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7552871
04/09/22 12:49 AM
04/09/22 12:49 AM
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

Cool! Maybe I will try that out if my buddy passes on his O/U to me in his will

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: shorter shotguns [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7552896
04/09/22 04:26 AM
04/09/22 04:26 AM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline
trapper
Pike River  Offline
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin
What slugs are you shooting out of it?

Re: shorter shotguns [Re: Pike River] #7552950
04/09/22 07:35 AM
04/09/22 07:35 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Pike River
What slugs are you shooting out of it?

my go to slug is 2 3/4 Winchester Super X 1 oz I haven't shot any out of this barrel yet

I had some lower velocity s&B slugs I tried 3 they are ok at short range and being slower velocity and I was shooting a full choke , I don;t intend to shoot slugs from a full every day but wanted to know how they hit should I need to quick switch to a slug

buck shot patterns decent from the one round I tried

Re: shorter shotguns [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7552999
04/09/22 08:33 AM
04/09/22 08:33 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
I'd like an original stagecoach gun.

Or the one Doc Holiday used.

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: shorter shotguns [Re: 330-Trapper] #7553635
04/09/22 09:38 PM
04/09/22 09:38 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
I'd like an original stagecoach gun.

Or the one Doc Holiday used.

not original but some very shoot-able replicas are being made now , Stoger and CZ each have one

played around at the range a little today after the kids shoot , ran some steel plates and it is very fast on transitions and getting on target really the only issue is rounds go so fast it seems to be empty a lot

i can imagine as your bouncing a long on a coach that a quick sing and pull was about ideal for shooting from a moving coach

Re: shorter shotguns [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7702835
10/28/22 09:33 AM
10/28/22 09:33 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Got out with this 500 yesterday to chase pheasants , this is my first real time with the new 20 inch barrel on it besides clay this spring. I also added a oversize safety I had bought a while back ,
she is a dream to carry all afternoon , swings good and very fast on target I limited on birds
all of our birds came in the woods yesterday they were calling back and forth so we stalked them in the woods not much time on those once they flew both fell instantly

Barrel arrived

not sure how it shoots , test that Friday.

but it sure carries easy.
[Linked Image]

Re: shorter shotguns [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7702858
10/28/22 10:15 AM
10/28/22 10:15 AM
N.W. Iowa
T
Tactical.20 Offline
trapper
Tactical.20  Offline
trapper
T

N.W. Iowa
I had bought a used 870 with a 20 inch slug barrel smooth bore I/C some years back got it used for a good price , used it some for deer hunting my brother used it on more deer than I did , mainly because his gun was so long and this carried so easily I also have a 24 inch slug barrel on my 500 that shoots slugs very nice so I used it , also a lighter gun

it was just darned handy to carry in the woods , but sort of limited with that I/C fixed choke

a little shipping and a trip to Carlson's choke fixed that it is now threaded for Rem-chokes as I feel it should have been all along.

shot deer a few pheasant and rabbits with it , seems a good proof of concept.

a concern going from long barrel shotguns is how much velocity are you giving up . it varies greatly by load but some were around 70-90fps less on some ammo going from 30 to 20 inches working out the % it is about 5-7% change by reducing 33% of your barrel length.

so it becomes a matter of is a 5-7% reduction in energy a big deal

so far I haven't noticed any difference in effect on game the rabbits I shot were nearly all pass through with #4 and the pheasant didn't seem to notice the shorter gun.

I may see about getting a chronograph at some point

last night I ordered up a 20 inch factory barrel from Mossberg so I will have a 28 and a 20 and it would be interesting to see the difference in 2 factory barrels same make same gun , however with the turkey guns out there and people still taking turkey just fine with 20 inch barrels it probably isn't much of a concern.

ability to swing and get on target don't seem to be an issue.

when you think about it a 26 inch barrel OU is really almost the same length to the bead as a 20 inch barrel pump.

I don't have a hunting dog so when we hunt we are the dog maybe that is why I like the shorter setup , also it is easier in and out of the truck

with no regulation to case in WI any more after Nov 2011 I just get in the truck with my gun , if I am the passenger I hold it if I am the driver it rests between the seats (unloaded action open in a vehicle) we have some spots where we can drive slow down lanes and hop out if we see pheasants in the lane (yes legal here) we get out load and stalk up to them. we do this after we have worn ourselves out pushing fields.

the pattern from the 20 inch rem choked barrel and the 28 inch rem choked barrel are indistinguishable using the same choke in each gun from the few side by side comparisons we have done.

With the 500 the new barrel was within a few dollars of what sending it off would have been and about half what a new gun would be

with the 870 I couldn't even find a 20 inch barrel with choke tubes at the time and I had this one and the patterns stunk so anything was an improvement.

buck shot seems to pattern well from the full choke compared to the i/c the full choke I run puts about the same pattern at 35 yards that the I/C did at 10 yards , I have tested buck out to 50 yards and while there are some pellets not where I would like I always have 2-3 within a couple inches of point of aim. hoping to use it calling coyotes some day.
as do the 4,5,6 for bird and rabbit loads.
I also have a turkey choke and have patterned some loads they look good to 40 yards but I haven't had the opportunity to shoot a turkey with it yet.
for slugs I have a rifled slug choke now and it does seem to make them group better

has anyone else tried going to a shorter barrel than 26-30 ?

Yes bansners modified my 870, the guy told me it only needed to be 21" long

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread