Fur Handling Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

>
pcsoutdoors
(Please support PCS Outdoors, our sponsor for the Fur Handling Forum Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
New Trapper Home Tanning - Initial Results #7585697
05/17/22 06:35 PM
05/17/22 06:35 PM
MA
DirtHawker Offline OP
trapper
DirtHawker  Offline OP
trapper

MA
Hi All,

so I got my trapping license exactly three weeks before the season ended here in Massachusetts where it's live, cage trapping only. Utterly ridiculous but I still managed to pull five 35lbs + beavers. This entire thing is new to me so I skinned, butchered, cleaned skulls and am now getting into home tanning. I made a little video of my results using the orange bottle and Boco's method. Boco's wins hands down and I am sure I messed up all along the way in the skinning, fleshing, etc. Any and all constructive criticism will be appreciated. Granted not much can be gleaned from the final product.

These pelts are for me so I didn't really mind if I made a mess of them. I fleshed using a PVC pipe and what I now realize was a dull as (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) fleshing knife. I have found this is VERY hard work for a 5'2" old lady! All that being said, I think I'm going to put the waders back on in November.
My Tanning Results

Re: New Trapper Home Tanning - Initial Results [Re: DirtHawker] #7585769
05/17/22 08:06 PM
05/17/22 08:06 PM
lewis county,new york
N
newfox1 Offline
trapper
newfox1  Offline
trapper
N

lewis county,new york
Looks like your off to a good start.

Re: New Trapper Home Tanning - Initial Results [Re: DirtHawker] #7586557
05/18/22 10:55 PM
05/18/22 10:55 PM
MT
O
oilwell Offline
trapper
oilwell  Offline
trapper
O

MT
DirtHawker

First of all, way to just bale in and give it a try, best way to learn.Secondly, not a fan of the orange bottle. Boco's method is a proven one (Thanks Boco) and a good place to start. Beaver are one of the hardest skins to get a garment tan on, more so the large ones. A couple of issues to overcome to get them to turn out decent. Keep at it, its just like trapping always something new to learn...

Re: New Trapper Home Tanning - Initial Results [Re: oilwell] #7586567
05/18/22 11:17 PM
05/18/22 11:17 PM
MA
DirtHawker Offline OP
trapper
DirtHawker  Offline OP
trapper

MA
I did read that beaver are the hardest to tan so set my expectations very low but that said I will never use the orange bottle again. The first one I did with Boco's method came out way better but there is room for improvement. I'm guessing my problem point is fleshing which is a skill gained by experience and the proper set up. I had none of the first and very little of the second. I'm not giving up though. I have three more pelts in the works, one in tanning and two in a pickle. When I trap next season I will make sure I freeze my skinned fur in such a way I might be able to send it out for processing. I didn't know any better this year so just stuffed them, flesh to flesh, into plastic bags.

Re: New Trapper Home Tanning - Initial Results [Re: DirtHawker] #7586813
05/19/22 10:12 AM
05/19/22 10:12 AM
MT
O
oilwell Offline
trapper
oilwell  Offline
trapper
O

MT
Experience is the best teacher for sure. If you mean sending them out to be processed as tanned be sure to check with whom ever you choose as most tanneries do not accept frozen or raw skins...

Re: New Trapper Home Tanning - Initial Results [Re: oilwell] #7587048
05/19/22 06:09 PM
05/19/22 06:09 PM
MA
DirtHawker Offline OP
trapper
DirtHawker  Offline OP
trapper

MA
Originally Posted by oilwell
If you mean sending them out to be processed as tanned be sure to check with whom ever you choose as most tanneries do not accept frozen or raw skins...

Absolutely will do. Thanks!

Re: New Trapper Home Tanning - Initial Results [Re: DirtHawker] #7587278
05/20/22 01:33 AM
05/20/22 01:33 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
You can hone your tanning skills in the summer if you are a varmint hunter.
Groundhogs are great to practice tanning skills on.(hair on or off)

Last edited by Boco; 05/20/22 01:34 AM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread