Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Coyotes repopulating an area #7615759
06/29/22 10:23 PM
06/29/22 10:23 PM
Oregon
O
OregonBeaver Offline OP
trapper
OregonBeaver  Offline OP
trapper
O

Oregon
Can you over trap coyotes an a area? In high density/population areas I know they rebound fast. What about in low population areas across the country? I've known a few long liners in my home state that put several hundred on the stretchers each year. When I first started trapping a few years back. I had a lot of success my first year and was hooked. Talking with these guys going into my 2nd year. I was skeptical about trapping the same areas again. They assured me that I'd catch just as many and the population wouldnt be affected. They were right, ever since that conversation tho, I've wondered if it's like that everywhere for coyotes? It's been several years since I've read Mark June's book. But I remember he had some interesting statistics in there about coyote populations. I'd like to hear some other people's thoughts and insight from their states.

Re: Coyotes repopulating an area [Re: OregonBeaver] #7615817
06/29/22 11:24 PM
06/29/22 11:24 PM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
Coyotes will travel long distances to fill their bellies. This is especially true during the time of year when dispersing occurs. Removal of coyotes from an area allows their food sources to recover. More coyotes will show up to take advantage of that.

Re: Coyotes repopulating an area [Re: OregonBeaver] #7615827
06/29/22 11:41 PM
06/29/22 11:41 PM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
Coyote numbers seem to be down in my area. Local farmers like to hunt them mid to late winter when they don't have much else to do. Wolves have moved into this area and they have a tendency to chase off coyotes whenever they have the chance.

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Re: Coyotes repopulating an area [Re: OregonBeaver] #7615845
06/30/22 01:15 AM
06/30/22 01:15 AM
Northern Nevada
B
Bob Offline
trapper
Bob  Offline
trapper
B

Northern Nevada
In order to keep coyote populations steady there has the be a 3/5ths reduction in population every year. I have heard that when an area sees a large decline in population the remaining coyotes have bigger litters, likely due to less competition for food. All I know is everywhere I’ve lived everyone kills every coyote they can, and it never seems to make a dent.

"I have two guns, one for each of ya."
Re: Coyotes repopulating an area [Re: OregonBeaver] #7615910
06/30/22 06:56 AM
06/30/22 06:56 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by OregonBeaver
Can you over trap coyotes an a area? In high density/population areas I know they rebound fast. What about in low population areas across the country? I've known a few long liners in my home state that put several hundred on the stretchers each year. When I first started trapping a few years back. I had a lot of success my first year and was hooked. Talking with these guys going into my 2nd year. I was skeptical about trapping the same areas again. They assured me that I'd catch just as many and the population wouldnt be affected. They were right, ever since that conversation tho, I've wondered if it's like that everywhere for coyotes? It's been several years since I've read Mark June's book. But I remember he had some interesting statistics in there about coyote populations. I'd like to hear some other people's thoughts and insight from their states.

I've been doing this for 40+ years and agree with the majority research which is that you have to trap them hard for several years to really thin them. I do not agree with the very popular opinion now, built upon Mark Bekoff's work (animal rights biologist and VERY frequent writer) that trapping them "does little good."

I trap them hard for three years and EVERY time, we win, they lose.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Coyotes repopulating an area [Re: OregonBeaver] #7615923
06/30/22 07:15 AM
06/30/22 07:15 AM
Houghton Lake, MI
strike2x Offline
trapper
strike2x  Offline
trapper

Houghton Lake, MI
I have trapped the same small area for several years. Every year I have taken more from that area. Partly due to experience and I believe like any wild animals, a good habitat will draw and support a constant growth. I use not only the same area but the same set locations year to year. I trap the small area due to time restrictions. Work tends to take more time than I would like. 😆

Wish I had more time to trap....
Re: Coyotes repopulating an area [Re: OregonBeaver] #7615982
06/30/22 08:13 AM
06/30/22 08:13 AM
E central Il
G
Golf ball Offline
trapper
Golf ball  Offline
trapper
G

E central Il
Starting back in the 90’s we had a group of farmer that were diehard road hunters killing over a hundred coyotes a year. They Said it didn’t matter how many they killed from an area , next year they could kill as many or more. This continued until two things happened. The price of corn went up and we got hit with parvovirus. High corn prices meant every farmer took every acre of set aside ground out of the program and went back to farming right up to the top of the ditch bank , the remaining fence rows disappeared and so did the coyotes.
Now I’ve always said if you turn a grass patch into a crawfish pond the coyotes will switch from hunting mice and rabbits to hunting crawdads. What I didn’t know was a lot more coyotes hunt mice and rabbits than crawdads, lol .
Long story short , if you’ve got good habitat you will likely have good numbers of everything, game and predators. If that’s the case you need to remove 70 percent of the coyotes for three years in a row to get the population down.

Re: Coyotes repopulating an area [Re: OregonBeaver] #7616020
06/30/22 08:44 AM
06/30/22 08:44 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
The areas I trap don’t have high numbers of coyotes, but for several years I would average the same number of caught coyotes per property. Well two years ago I caught a high number of females and lactating females. Numbers really dropped in sightings and catches the following years. But, we trap about 9 months out of the year on a rotation between properties.
Now there are areas in my county where no one traps and from what I’m told, if you shoot a deer and don’t recover it within 3hrs, by the time you find it the coyotes will have already beat you to it…day or night. It’s almost getting to the point these leases are talking about increasing dues to bring in a trapper.
I believe numbers can be controlled in an area whether it’s by removing them or running them off, lol.

Re: Coyotes repopulating an area [Re: OregonBeaver] #7616065
06/30/22 09:15 AM
06/30/22 09:15 AM
NC, Orange Co.
QuietButDeadly Offline
trapper
QuietButDeadly  Offline
trapper

NC, Orange Co.
Let me preface this by saying that coyotes are relatively new on the landscape in most of NC with the exception of the mountains in the western part of the state. Where I live, we started seeing coyotes around 20 years ago.

I am not a big numbers guy by any means but I have hit local populations hard the first year I trapped properties with plenty of coyote sign and great prey habitat. And based on what I have read and heard, I fully expected the population of coyotes to fill back in to sustain similar catch rates year after year as the locations have remained excellent prey habitat. But that is not what I have experienced. I have continued to trap those properties for 10 or more years now and i continue to catch a few coyotes each year. But the numbers and sign is nowhere near the level they were the first year before I started trapping them.

I have had this discussion with my local biologist and his theory is that our coyote population is not exceeding the carrying capacity of the habitat for the most part. So the coyotes on adjoining properties have adequate habitat to sustain them and there is little or no pressure for them to seek out new habitat so even ideal areas are slow to fill back in. That seems to make sense to me based on what I have experienced. There are lots of variables but it sure appears that constant pressure on on the existing populations does help keep the numbers down in my neck of the woods.

Life Member: NCTA, VTA, NTA, TTFHA, MFTI
Member: FTA NRA NWTF
Re: Coyotes repopulating an area [Re: OregonBeaver] #7616087
06/30/22 09:41 AM
06/30/22 09:41 AM
Texas
Sharkhunter Offline
trapper
Sharkhunter  Offline
trapper

Texas
Very interesting topic. I really trapped our 2k acres hard. I feel I took 95% plus of the coyotes off the place. You can’t find a track on any road now. This was my first year trapping this place. It will be interesting to see how the population is this coming winter and what my numbers are. We currently have a bumper crop of fawns and it looks like they have mostly made it past the first month on the ground. We are really pleased with those results.

Re: Coyotes repopulating an area [Re: OregonBeaver] #7616130
06/30/22 10:20 AM
06/30/22 10:20 AM
Northern Nevada
B
Bob Offline
trapper
Bob  Offline
trapper
B

Northern Nevada
On 2k acres what you’re going to see, IMO, this fall is roughly the same number of coyotes, just most of them will be young of the year coming in from dispersal around your 2k acres when momma kicks em off the teat.

"I have two guns, one for each of ya."
Re: Coyotes repopulating an area [Re: Bob] #7616139
06/30/22 10:28 AM
06/30/22 10:28 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Originally Posted by Bob
On 2k acres what you’re going to see, IMO, this fall is roughly the same number of coyotes, just most of them will be young of the year coming in from dispersal around your 2k acres when momma kicks em off the teat.

That really makes sense and it’s what I see. Most all coyotes I catch are young. Young unbred females and young males. They’ll always filter in I guess, but we don’t have coyotes running rampant on the properties.

Re: Coyotes repopulating an area [Re: Bob] #7616420
06/30/22 04:38 PM
06/30/22 04:38 PM
Texas
Sharkhunter Offline
trapper
Sharkhunter  Offline
trapper

Texas
Originally Posted by Bob

So based on other accounts on similar properties in the area the second year is half as many. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. The last three yotes I caught where very young that was end of April and May. Young coyotes should be pretty easy to trap I would think. Can’t wait for deer season to get out of the way so I can hammer them again !

Re: Coyotes repopulating an area [Re: OregonBeaver] #7616461
06/30/22 05:40 PM
06/30/22 05:40 PM
Pennsylvania
P
patrapperbuster Offline
trapper
patrapperbuster  Offline
trapper
P

Pennsylvania
Here in PA we have a healthy population of trappers & hunters going after coyotes. We still have an over-abundance of coyotes

Till that day.....
Re: Coyotes repopulating an area [Re: OregonBeaver] #7616481
06/30/22 06:01 PM
06/30/22 06:01 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
It's not at all uncommon for me to trap right on top of dens, snag the adult mated pair this time of year and be trapping the exact same location the following year.

I would think to have any effect at reduction you'd need to take out 80% over a few hundred square miles at one time but it would be quickly repopulated.

[Linked Image]
Re: Coyotes repopulating an area [Re: OregonBeaver] #7616512
06/30/22 06:41 PM
06/30/22 06:41 PM
NE NE
W
Wife Offline
trapper
Wife  Offline
trapper
W

NE NE
With respect to everyone's opinion, I'm sure they are all correct in their assessments. I try to look at things from a biological view and not just a HARVEST view point. As stated : when habitat and land use remains fairly stable, and the items of food, cover and water are in the same relative landscape position & amounts, then a person can expect an animal density to be as high (or low) as it was previously. Throw in Ma Nature's handiwork (disease, drought, easy or tough winters, floods, competitors etc.,) and then humanity's interference (bulldozers, concrete, logging, intense row cropping etc., set aside programs) and the population #'s respond to Mr. Darwin's Law (adapt or perish). Now everyone here focused on the HARVEST question as their assumptions were based on immigration in and the natural fecundity and fertility of the remaining individuals. My training and observations lead me to want to know a little more about the area, county(s), region before a HARVEST question like this can be answered. A land area may support X amount of coyotes per square foot, meter, acre, mile etc. If removing X number during HARVEST season is the habitat stable? Are there enough remaining individuals to maximize that habitat usage? Are the surrounding areas producing migrants to immigrate in? And is Ma Nature and mankind playing their games during less critical times of the year than puppy time? You can use all the algorithms and programs you want on a keyboard but "from my side of the fence" a scent post survey taken every month for 1 week, from July to October 1st , tells more about a population density than anything else I've seen. Its (biological) old fashioned scouting during the rearing time for your "CROP". Most of us can't manage the time for something this complex but a few game cams selectively placed would be an easy baseline to get started. Tom Krause wrote a very good article (from a Trapper's standpoint) about the very best habitat areas (quality) will always draw animals from lesser (quality) areas due to Darwin's Law. I guess this old man (me) has seen (and lived through) a few armchair opinions/predictions hit dead on but I couldn't get close to answering upcoming HARVEST questions w/o some type of field data (i.e. How many muskrats in that house - duh - How big is the house?). My take on it. .................... the mike

Re: Coyotes repopulating an area [Re: OregonBeaver] #7616676
06/30/22 10:33 PM
06/30/22 10:33 PM
Mesa,Washington.
M
Mark McCary Offline
trapper
Mark McCary  Offline
trapper
M

Mesa,Washington.
Some talented coyote trappers are able to determine coyote numbers by reading sign and the amount of sign & age. It dos not take long if you know where to look! A scouting trip in late September will show you a lot about the prospects for the up coming trapping season.

Re: Coyotes repopulating an area [Re: OregonBeaver] #7616729
07/01/22 12:17 AM
07/01/22 12:17 AM
SD
Boone Liane Offline
trapper
Boone Liane  Offline
trapper

SD
Depends on population density.

High population could filter back into a vacuum in just weeks.

Low population it could take months.

I’ve seen areas fill back up after being cleaned out in June in just a matter of two weeks. And June is not a month known for having a lot of coyote movement.

I’ve seen areas void of coyotes for many months in “fur season” after being cleaned out. And October through February can see some pretty massive waves of coyote movement.

What was the difference? Population.

Re: Coyotes repopulating an area [Re: OregonBeaver] #7620061
07/05/22 05:25 PM
07/05/22 05:25 PM
Peoria County Illinois
Larry Baer Offline
trapper
Larry Baer  Offline
trapper

Peoria County Illinois
More move in to take the losers spots. Hit them hard every time.

One thing i always thought interesting is that you can kill of the locals and the new ones always seem to move right in to the old neighborhood and set up house in the same spot.

When they stop hearing the neighbors they go and check it out and sometimes they move right on over.

Just passin through
Re: Coyotes repopulating an area [Re: OregonBeaver] #7620118
07/05/22 07:09 PM
07/05/22 07:09 PM
Wisconsin
G
Green Bay Offline
trapper
Green Bay  Offline
trapper
G

Wisconsin
I think what it takes to bring down the numbers is an all out coyote war year round. Buffalo county, WI is known nationwide as a mecca for deer hunting. That being said there is some great habitat which can hold a lot of coyotes. However, there never seem to be that many around. Why? Farmers in the area run them hard in the winter as others have mentioned. trappers are out after them, turkey hunters shoot them when they come across them, small game hunters shoot at them. predator callers call all winter. Basically anybody who has weapon is going to shoot at them whenever they are seen.

It really makes a difference.

Author of The Lure Hunter: A Guide to Finding Fishing Lures
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91