No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Yoyo fishing [Re: yotetrapper30] #7617709
07/02/22 11:19 AM
07/02/22 11:19 AM
Arkansas
W
Wallace Offline
trapper
Wallace  Offline
trapper
W

Arkansas
I grew up using yoyos. I prefer them for crappie. I leave the snap swivel on and use snelled gold hooks. If there isnt much current the swivel is plenty of weight for crappie minnows and if it isn't then one small split shot helps We usually camp out with them and run them almost constantly.
I've had big fish pull the rivet out of the back plate. The gold hooks keep that from happening and still hold good eating size catfish.

Re: Yoyo fishing [Re: yotetrapper30] #7617722
07/02/22 11:32 AM
07/02/22 11:32 AM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
Catch22, I know some people online mention running yo-yos on floating jugs, but....I would just run jugs with line/hook if it were me. Yo-yos seem to work best for me when they’re above water. This allows there to be enough tension to keep them held on the hook as they fight the spring. If they can get slack, they can potentially shake a hook.

I like to keep mine 1-4 feet above the water, when possible.

Re: Yoyo fishing [Re: yotetrapper30] #7617726
07/02/22 11:37 AM
07/02/22 11:37 AM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
The clips just clamp onto a branch. I was kind of skeptical at first, but the way that they hold—they stay put.

Re: Yoyo fishing [Re: yotetrapper30] #7617743
07/02/22 11:58 AM
07/02/22 11:58 AM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
Thanks Aix!!

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: Yoyo fishing [Re: yotetrapper30] #7617808
07/02/22 01:20 PM
07/02/22 01:20 PM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
As for using large bait, these yo-yos aren’t designed for large catfish. Tie into a big one, and the yo-yo is toast. If you’re targeting bigger catfish, or blue cats in general, I would recommend using limb lines, jugs, or another method.

Yo-yos are excellent tools for catching sacalait (crappie), and it’s my opinion that they’re perfect for sacalait. They do work very well for catfish up to a few lbs, but if you start baiting with 4”+ live bream, you’re asking for broken gear.

Anyone that runs them should know that they work best when checked fairly often. At least twice a night if you can. If you ever run them on a brushpile-baited dock, you might as well stay with them, because if the crappie are there, you’re probably going to have your hands full keeping up. It’s common to hear ZZZZzzzZZZZ before you’ve even finished baiting all of your hooks.

I’m running some this winter, and I’m looking forward to it.

Re: Yoyo fishing [Re: Aix sponsa] #7617866
07/02/22 02:45 PM
07/02/22 02:45 PM
Louisiana
AirportTrapper Offline
trapper
AirportTrapper  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
Originally Posted by Aix sponsa
As for using large bait, these yo-yos aren’t designed for large catfish. Tie into a big one, and the yo-yo is toast. If you’re targeting bigger catfish, or blue cats in general, I would recommend using limb lines, jugs, or another method.

Yo-yos are excellent tools for catching sacalait (crappie), and it’s my opinion that they’re perfect for sacalait. They do work very well for catfish up to a few lbs, but if you start baiting with 4”+ live bream, you’re asking for broken gear.

Anyone that runs them should know that they work best when checked fairly often. At least twice a night if you can. If you ever run them on a brushpile-baited dock, you might as well stay with them, because if the crappie are there, you’re probably going to have your hands full keeping up. It’s common to hear ZZZZzzzZZZZ before you’ve even finished baiting all of your hooks.

If you need a hand , I'm game

If it makes a track on this earth , I can catch it.
Re: Yoyo fishing [Re: yotetrapper30] #7617975
07/02/22 05:09 PM
07/02/22 05:09 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
BigBob, I did forget to tag them as I was building them and had to go back and add tags, lol.

When I youtubed them last night, I saw they were catching crappie with them. I never would have thought that. But, that's even better. We live in great crappie area and they eat a lot better than nasty ol catfish!

My brand is Mechanical Fishing Co. If I like them and decide to order more I'll try the White's brand.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Your welcome! LOL

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Yoyo fishing [Re: mississippiposse] #7617978
07/02/22 05:14 PM
07/02/22 05:14 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Originally Posted by mississippiposse
MDC outlawed them in a few areas in state. I guess they work well

First I've heard of it. Can you tell where the reg is and what areas?
In Mo we're allowed up to 33 hooks statewide, but up to 50 on the Mississippi to align with Illinois reg's.

Re: Yoyo fishing [Re: yotetrapper30] #7617980
07/02/22 05:16 PM
07/02/22 05:16 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
So after a more thorough reading of our regs yesterday I realized that yoyos can only be left unattended here after dark until daylight. So I had to run back and pick them up at the break of day before Mr. Green Jeans found them and added them to his collection along with wolfdog's, lmao.

Anyways, I was getting pretty discouraged as the first 4 I checked were sprung, with the bait gone. But then on the fifth one I had something. The sixth was also sprung and empty. So one out of 6 ain't great but at least I didn't get skunked.

[Linked Image]

Turtles can really ruin your day!

Re: Yoyo fishing [Re: yotetrapper30] #7617983
07/02/22 05:20 PM
07/02/22 05:20 PM
Arkansas
W
WhiteCliffs Offline
trapper
WhiteCliffs  Offline
trapper
W

Arkansas
We use them mostly in winter - cold weather or early spring - minnows three or four inches deep for crappie. Crappie are deep in summer and bait stealers get bad, and gators are unbearable. In warmer weather, gators get over half the fish.

Re: Yoyo fishing [Re: yotetrapper30] #7617996
07/02/22 05:42 PM
07/02/22 05:42 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline OP
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline OP
trapper

Oakland, MS
No gators here to speak of. One or two get spotted now and then but not very many thankfully.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Yoyo fishing [Re: yotetrapper30] #7618001
07/02/22 06:01 PM
07/02/22 06:01 PM
Missouri
M
mississippiposse Offline
trapper
mississippiposse  Offline
trapper
M

Missouri
Big Bob it in the special regulations on some WMA. Shanks was one because at the time Duck Creek was having problems with regulation on them. Heck at shanks regulations were changed we could not not even take a limit of crawfish with a net. Had to hand grab or use hook and line. My supervisor did not want to impact the great blue heron population. Was ran through channels and was approved. So when I go to a new WMA I just read regulations and find outs the oks. This regulation was enacted back in the early 90 s and possibly they do not still apply. Have not been to the two area in years

Re: Yoyo fishing [Re: Aix sponsa] #7618024
07/02/22 06:50 PM
07/02/22 06:50 PM
Southern NJ
maintenanceguy Offline
trapper
maintenanceguy  Offline
trapper

Southern NJ
As for using large bait, these yo-yos aren’t designed for large catfish. Tie into a big one, and the yo-yo is toast. If you’re targeting bigger catfish, or blue cats in general, I would recommend using limb lines, jugs, or another method...

A five pound catfish is a pretty big catfish here. We don't get the 70 pounders that you get down south.

-Ryan
Re: Yoyo fishing [Re: mississippiposse] #7618549
07/03/22 03:33 PM
07/03/22 03:33 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Originally Posted by mississippiposse
Big Bob it in the special regulations on some WMA. Shanks was one because at the time Duck Creek was having problems with regulation on them. Heck at shanks regulations were changed we could not not even take a limit of crawfish with a net. Had to hand grab or use hook and line. My supervisor did not want to impact the great blue heron population. Was ran through channels and was approved. So when I go to a new WMA I just read regulations and find outs the oks. This regulation was enacted back in the early 90 s and possibly they do not still apply. Have not been to the two area in years

Thanks, I figured it must be a special reg for the refuge areas.

Re: Yoyo fishing [Re: AirportTrapper] #7619143
07/04/22 01:51 PM
07/04/22 01:51 PM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
Originally Posted by AirportTrapper

If you need a hand , I'm game

Sounds good to me

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread