Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Logwood dye question [Re: Bob Jameson] #7618897
07/04/22 06:56 AM
07/04/22 06:56 AM
Pennsylvania
H
Hern Offline
trapper
Hern  Offline
trapper
H

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by Bob Jameson
Now that is how its done.
I like the clothes line laundry drying system Hern. Nice fresh air to soak into those traps.

Thank you Bob.
I used trapping wire to hang, but traps would slide when weight was on one side.
Years back I got a roll of small chain and cut to length to fit our trees... easy to loop around trees, strong and traps stay in place.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

BTW ToCatchAPredator-
When removing traps from wax pot, let traps drip back into pot for a few moments. Then shake hot wax traps off before hanging.
Wear old shoes & pants...
[Linked Image]

Re: Logwood dye question [Re: ToCatchAPredator] #7618912
07/04/22 07:26 AM
07/04/22 07:26 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Those water proof pants and shoes will hold up for many years Hern. smile I have a pair of old nylon rain pants I have used for many years now. They have a draw string waist so easy on and off.

They are splashed pretty good now after many years of wearing them. I try to wear rubber shoes most of the time. You can't get that wax out of fabric. I have tried shaving the blotches with a knife no luck really. Won't wash out so I get dressed accordingly when treating traps.

I built a hanging rack years ago with a bunch of long screws lagged into a 2 X 6" face board. I have had to extend my board length a couple times as I seem to treat more traps each year, so it takes more room. I usually bundle 3-4 traps in a bunch with tie wire. Too many traps to single dye and wax.

I like the chain idea.

Re: Logwood dye question [Re: ToCatchAPredator] #7618937
07/04/22 08:34 AM
07/04/22 08:34 AM
Catskills, New York
ToCatchAPredator Offline OP
trapper
ToCatchAPredator  Offline OP
trapper

Catskills, New York
Yeah I made the decision the other night to do it wearing shorts and crocks and I have tiny little burns all over my shins and feet. Not the best idea.

Re: Logwood dye question [Re: ToCatchAPredator] #7618999
07/04/22 10:11 AM
07/04/22 10:11 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Well, you will know better the next time around. That is how we learn sometimes.

Re: Logwood dye question [Re: ToCatchAPredator] #7619030
07/04/22 11:10 AM
07/04/22 11:10 AM
Catskills, New York
ToCatchAPredator Offline OP
trapper
ToCatchAPredator  Offline OP
trapper

Catskills, New York
Yeah sometimes experience is the best teacher. But I have a couple pieces of uni strut that I have lagged into my shed to hang critters from and it works real well with some s hooks and hanging the traps that way. Not as big of a set up as hern but then again I only have a fraction of the traps to treat

Re: Logwood dye question [Re: ToCatchAPredator] #7619045
07/04/22 11:28 AM
07/04/22 11:28 AM
Bryant, IN
D
Dennis W Offline
trapper
Dennis W  Offline
trapper
D

Bryant, IN
Hern, I stand a piece of cardboard up and stand on one while shaking my waxed traps on the other side. My pants and shoes get very little wax on them.

Re: Logwood dye question [Re: Mark McCary] #7619278
07/04/22 05:27 PM
07/04/22 05:27 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
Originally Posted by Mark McCary
Originally Posted by The Beav
Why dye the trap when your just going to wax over It?

Because the Dyeing process is more beneficial then the Wax, for a coyote trapper! Clean Traps.

You're not suggesting you can't catch coyotes with a trap that isn't dyed and /or waxed traps. . . are you ? ? ? laugh

Re: Logwood dye question [Re: LT GREY] #7620071
07/05/22 05:55 PM
07/05/22 05:55 PM
Mesa,Washington.
M
Mark McCary Offline
trapper
Mark McCary  Offline
trapper
M

Mesa,Washington.
NO!!! LT. I think you are just throwing corn cobbs at the Bull for Fun? Lol.

Re: Logwood dye question [Re: ToCatchAPredator] #7620388
07/06/22 01:35 AM
07/06/22 01:35 AM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
I like to dye with alder bark, but have used walnut hulls and even logwood dye once or twice. I didn't think logwood dye held up quite as well and has a powdery look on the traps, but it works pretty good. No point in dyeing traps that aren't rusty, they won't dye worth a darn, but I will disagree with Beav, the dye, particularly from alder or walnut really does protect the traps a lot from rusting. I wax mine the old school way of simply putting the wax on top of the water in the dye pot, never had a problem with this. I painted some traps white last year for using in the snow, and think I will be doing this to pretty much any new wolf or coyote traps I get, I like the dye and think it protects the traps better and holds up better to a catch, but it is amazing how much a white painted trap helps avoid melting out when set in the snow. And if I'm using them in dirt they are covered anyways so who cares what color they are?

Re: Logwood dye question [Re: Mark McCary] #7623966
07/10/22 09:38 PM
07/10/22 09:38 PM
SD
Boone Liane Offline
trapper
Boone Liane  Offline
trapper

SD
Originally Posted by Mark McCary
Some how we manage to catch them by the Thousands???

And yet in many areas, with zero effect on the overall population???

What’s that say?

Last edited by Boone Liane; 07/10/22 09:41 PM.
Re: Logwood dye question [Re: Boone Liane] #7624003
07/10/22 10:38 PM
07/10/22 10:38 PM
Mesa,Washington.
M
Mark McCary Offline
trapper
Mark McCary  Offline
trapper
M

Mesa,Washington.
Coyote's have my respect!!!

Re: Logwood dye question [Re: ToCatchAPredator] #7624205
07/11/22 09:08 AM
07/11/22 09:08 AM
E central Il
G
Golf ball Offline
trapper
Golf ball  Offline
trapper
G

E central Il
Boone that says you got a lot of feed .

Re: Logwood dye question [Re: ToCatchAPredator] #7624266
07/11/22 11:21 AM
07/11/22 11:21 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
So you rust your traps to take the dye. Then you dye the traps In a hot dye solution. Then you take the traps out and hang to dry and they begin to rust as they dry. Then you cover the dye with wax.
But If that gives you confidence In your catch rate then that's what you should do.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Logwood dye question [Re: ToCatchAPredator] #7624284
07/11/22 12:01 PM
07/11/22 12:01 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
For deep South trapping in these acidic soils......your traps should be waxed, at a minimum once annually. I dye also, but its usually only once every 3 or 4 years.

A trap that sits in this acidic soil, especially if it's a wet season, will be a mess of rust in no time. Traps cost too much not to take care of em.

In areas of the country with more alkaline soils and dry conditions... ya'll can likely get by with no trap treatment....but I cannot.

As for trap scent control and coyote trapping with/without dye and/or wax: If my traps wouldn't rust I would not treat them at all. Just keep lure, bait, and urine odor off of em.

Anyone that says traps MUST be dyed and or waxed to catch coyotes is inexperienced and has read that in a book.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Logwood dye question [Re: ToCatchAPredator] #7624315
07/11/22 12:59 PM
07/11/22 12:59 PM
Tipton, In.
R
RHuff Offline
trapper
RHuff  Offline
trapper
R

Tipton, In.
I dye and wax because that was how I was taught and its something I enjoy doing every fall to get ready. I have never intentionally rusted any of my traps. The first year new I spray with degreaser and power wash then dye pot for an hour let dry then 15 minutes in the wax pot till metal is hot then drip and shake off excess and let cool and store hanging from the rafters of my long retired beagle kennel. I dye and wax every year and after about three years they are coal black. I could just as easily power wash and hang to dry in the covered kennel and still catch plenty but like i said its part of the ritual every year for me. I had a trap last season that caught two Coyotes a coon and a red fox at one set and after I washed it up it still had most of the dye still intact. It is one of my original MB 550s and has been dyed many times and still looks good. If it gives you confidence I say do it. I feel the most important part of my process is hanging in an open air area where they remain dry until I need them.

Last edited by RHuff; 07/11/22 01:00 PM.
Re: Logwood dye question [Re: ToCatchAPredator] #7624328
07/11/22 01:25 PM
07/11/22 01:25 PM
Northern Nevada
B
Bob Offline
trapper
Bob  Offline
trapper
B

Northern Nevada
I clean excess junk off them, boil in clean water, and wax. Never in my life have I ever dyed a trap. Water traps just get spray painted flat black. The dye serves no purpose but to neutralize the rust…the rust that you made form so that the dye would take…think about it. I wax because I use calcium chloride as antifreeze and without some kind of coating that stuff will eat traps alive. I’ve been looking into changing my antifreeze methods though.

Dying, waxing, powder coating, doesn’t really matter, none of them are meant to hide the trap from the coyote, the trap would be just as hidden if it were bare. In fact I’m my area it would probably be hidden better, because we have a lot of natural rust in the dirt. They only serve to protect your equipment from becoming a pile of useless rust.

"I have two guns, one for each of ya."
Re: Logwood dye question [Re: ToCatchAPredator] #7624357
07/11/22 02:13 PM
07/11/22 02:13 PM
Flint, Michigan
bhugo Offline
trapper
bhugo  Offline
trapper

Flint, Michigan
Dye does help neutralize rust and that’s it’s purpose in my book. Anything with tannic acid will do the same thing to rust. Bark, walnut hulls, sumac or logwood crystals/powder all just leach tannic acid into the boiling water. I boil in lye first to clean odors and old wax, then I dye and wax. I never pre rust my traps but they will rust with use.. It seems silly to pre rust as rust is the enemy. Dye won’t offer much protection though, so I wax them after neutralizing the rust. I just use a propane torch to melt the thicker wax off the trigger and dog end if needed. Waxing them when they are still hot from dye, and leaving them in the hot wax long enough to evaporate any moisture and to warm the trap up to wax temperature is key in getting a super thin coat.

Powder coating sounds great but I don’t have access to it. Dipping or painting sounds great too but I’d still dye them to neutralize rust if there was any. I just seem to enjoy the dying and waxing my coyote traps.

I keep my last tub of dye in the shed and drop my traps that made catches that I couldn’t use in a remake. After it fills up, I’ll boil them and use them again if needed without waxing for expediency. This has worked well for me.

Member MTPCA, FTA and NTA
Re: Logwood dye question [Re: Hern] #7624358
07/11/22 02:16 PM
07/11/22 02:16 PM
Flint, Michigan
bhugo Offline
trapper
bhugo  Offline
trapper

Flint, Michigan
Originally Posted by Hern
Originally Posted by Bob Jameson
Now that is how its done.
I like the clothes line laundry drying system Hern. Nice fresh air to soak into those traps.

Thank you Bob.
I used trapping wire to hang, but traps would slide when weight was on one side.
Years back I got a roll of small chain and cut to length to fit our trees... easy to loop around trees, strong and traps stay in place.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

BTW ToCatchAPredator-
When removing traps from wax pot, let traps drip back into pot for a few moments. Then shake hot wax traps off before hanging.
Wear old shoes & pants...
[Linked Image]

Love this!

Member MTPCA, FTA and NTA
Re: Logwood dye question [Re: ToCatchAPredator] #7624387
07/11/22 03:08 PM
07/11/22 03:08 PM
SD
Boone Liane Offline
trapper
Boone Liane  Offline
trapper

SD
I dye (boil) for a couple reasons.

Used traps are gonna rust. Period. And you need to do something annually to that rust. You can scrub on em with a wire brush, vinegar bath them, tumble em in a cement mixer with gravel, or neutralize that new crop of rust with high tannin solutions (even if it is just temporarily) .

I’m not gonna hand scrub 600+ traps.

Vinegar, while ok for occasional use on badly rusted traps is not something I want to annually do to traps, because vinegar is as bad for the steel as the rust is. Both rust and vinegar etch steel, pit steel, which causes them to rust faster the second time around. No thanks.

I’m not gonna tumble 600+ traps in a cement mixer to shine them up.

But I can dye and wax 600+ traps in about 8 hours.

It’s a great deodorizer. I pressure wash all my traps before dying. But I can pressure wash a skunked up trap till my eyes bleed and still smell skunk.

And it’s the only treatment (besides wax), I can use one day and catch coyotes with the next. Plus, I firmly believe waxed traps function better and better resist freezing down in nasty, wet and freezing conditions.

I’ve used a lot of dips. Every one I’ve used needs time to air out, and time to cure before use.

New traps can just be degreased and waxed. But with use comes rust.

Last edited by Boone Liane; 07/11/22 03:09 PM.
Re: Logwood dye question [Re: Golf ball] #7624390
07/11/22 03:12 PM
07/11/22 03:12 PM
SD
Boone Liane Offline
trapper
Boone Liane  Offline
trapper

SD
Originally Posted by Golf ball
Boone that says you got a lot of feed .

Sure could be.

It can also mean a seasonal harvest doesn’t amount to squat within a region.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91