ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Hot weather woodchuck trapping #7633521
07/23/22 10:08 PM
07/23/22 10:08 PM
Adirondacks, N.Y.
T
trapdye Offline OP
trapper
trapdye  Offline OP
trapper
T

Adirondacks, N.Y.
Seems they are staying underground a little longer with this hot weather, Finished two chuck jobs last week, they were both overnighters. Set two new jobs yesterday morning where I saw one go in his hole, set both holes on him & he's still under. I know one thing for sure, I'll be checking traps in the am before it gets to hot. What's the longest you ever had to wait on a chuck catch. If I remember correctly my longest wait was eighteen days, If he would have stayed under another day, I would have missed him, I was going to remove the cages that morning.That was with positive sets at each hole.

John's Nuisance Wildlife Control
If you like what you do for a living, It's better than a vacation. Most days.
Re: Hot weather woodchuck trapping [Re: trapdye] #7633674
07/24/22 07:36 AM
07/24/22 07:36 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Online content
trapper
Bob Jameson  Online Content
trapper
B

SW Pa
I don't know of woodchucks staying in a den for any length of time except during hibernation periods. They must feed daily to survive from what I understand. Their sole purpose is to feed frequently to build up body fat reserves as quickly as they can. Possibly another burrow that you didn't see? Was it an adult or a juvenile ? Size matters.

I have seen ghogs go thru positive set comstock traps without firing the trap. If the wire triggers aren't positioned just right and the animal is smaller, you can get one to go thru and not fire the trap. Saw it occur on a customers home video surveillance. Doesn't happen often but it does happen.

Re: Hot weather woodchuck trapping [Re: trapdye] #7634318
07/24/22 08:01 PM
07/24/22 08:01 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
Yeah, small can fit under the wires, especially an older trap with mangled wires. Setting on the side, trigger bar facing up avoids this.

I think they have to feed daily too. I have noticed trap sets that go dead after a couple catches, and then a chuck pops up in one. I always thought they were traveling chucks. Not necessarily the 1 living there, but one looking for a new home type of thing.

Re: Hot weather woodchuck trapping [Re: Bob Jameson] #7634329
07/24/22 08:11 PM
07/24/22 08:11 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
Originally Posted by Bob Jameson
I don't know of woodchucks staying in a den for any length of time except during hibernation periods. They must feed daily to survive from what I understand. Their sole purpose is to feed frequently to build up body fat reserves as quickly as they can. Possibly another burrow that you didn't see? Was it an adult or a juvenile ? Size matters.

I have seen ghogs go thru positive set comstock traps without firing the trap. If the wire triggers aren't positioned just right and the animal is smaller, you can get one to go thru and not fire the trap. Saw it occur on a customers home video surveillance. Doesn't happen often but it does happen.

EGG=xact LEE

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread