Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
What lure ingredients? #7660669
08/29/22 02:43 PM
08/29/22 02:43 PM
alabama
steeltraps Offline OP
trapper
steeltraps  Offline OP
trapper

alabama
OK. Here is my question. What lure ingredients get stronger with water? As in. = If you added water to = It would smell stronger after you added water to it?

Re: What lure ingredients? [Re: steeltraps] #7660705
08/29/22 03:37 PM
08/29/22 03:37 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Chris,

I am not sure if this is helpful or what you are looking to find, but this is how I see water in my experience.

Water can act as a carrier, a volume enhancer/extender, a product activator and a diluting agent. It is not considered a solvent or odor enhancer per se' in my experience.

Water " can " be used to re constitute dehydrated materials as needed. Most things generally speaking become weaker with the addition of water.

That being said, some powders / water soluble crystals or powdered "once active" materials would have some increased odor release due to adding water and allowing evaporation to release the active odor.

There are solvents and other fluids that will help extend and hold a desired active odor ingredient for use in formulas. Tincturing and distilling are two processes of odor enhancing a material.

The problem with water as a carrier / stand alone can have a short limited " carrier " active life due to natural occurring evaporation under non freezing temps.

If the enhanced material is blended with water and is held in a container/bottle it will hold longer until it is dispensed. Lots of variables can be discovered after it is stored for a period of time.

Re: What lure ingredients? [Re: Bob Jameson] #7660724
08/29/22 03:59 PM
08/29/22 03:59 PM
alabama
steeltraps Offline OP
trapper
steeltraps  Offline OP
trapper

alabama
Mr. Jameson. Thanks I quess I should have been more on what im looking for. Here is my problem = Excessive rain = SO got me thinking ? What lure ingredient that is attractive to coyotes could be used so that WHEN it rains heavy it would smell stronger? Does such an ingredients exist? Like if you were to say = Rhodium oil. Gets stronger when it gets wet. Is it possible to make a coyote lure that gets stronger after a rain???

Re: What lure ingredients? [Re: steeltraps] #7660762
08/29/22 05:03 PM
08/29/22 05:03 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
I'm thinking a dead cow ST. grin
But I like ur way of thinking if there was something that could do that.

Re: What lure ingredients? [Re: steeltraps] #7660764
08/29/22 05:06 PM
08/29/22 05:06 PM
SE Kentucky
K
kytrapper Offline
trapper
kytrapper  Offline
trapper
K

SE Kentucky
I got into elbow pockets a while and would dribble diluted spoonbill oil in them. Every time the creek got up over them and went down I could smell it well before I got to them. Don’t know if that helps any but you might think on that.

Re: What lure ingredients? [Re: kytrapper] #7660775
08/29/22 05:32 PM
08/29/22 05:32 PM
alabama
steeltraps Offline OP
trapper
steeltraps  Offline OP
trapper

alabama
Spoon bill oil would work. I use = Fish oil in a pipe. Problem their? Rain. Makes oil go out of the pipe and all round the coyote set. Make foot placement an issue with fish oil everywhere So now just a lite squit of fish oil down pipe. NOT full like i tried before. OK. What is = elbow pockets???

Re: What lure ingredients? [Re: Yes sir] #7660777
08/29/22 05:34 PM
08/29/22 05:34 PM
alabama
steeltraps Offline OP
trapper
steeltraps  Offline OP
trapper

alabama
Originally Posted by Yes sir
I'm thinking a dead cow ST. grin
But I like ur way of thinking if there was something that could do that.

Maybe their is ? What IF I could come up with a lure or lure ingredient that got stonger with rain ??? I know skunk seams to smell more on a rainy day BUT that want work in hot summer as well OR on lots of sets

Re: What lure ingredients? [Re: steeltraps] #7660782
08/29/22 05:49 PM
08/29/22 05:49 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
There could be. That's the fun and challenge of being a lure maker. Maybe an oil base lure and use a grab and die type of lure holder that the lure can soak in. We don't have as much rain as u thank goodness but I did catch a coyote on my own lure 82 days after luring in a step down dirt hole that had been under water several times and frozen solid. Not saying I'd depend on this working regularly. Lol

Re: What lure ingredients? [Re: steeltraps] #7660785
08/29/22 05:59 PM
08/29/22 05:59 PM
SE Kentucky
K
kytrapper Offline
trapper
kytrapper  Offline
trapper
K

SE Kentucky
Elbow pocket mink sets. Had several coons stick their heads in the top 110.

Re: What lure ingredients? [Re: steeltraps] #7660791
08/29/22 06:10 PM
08/29/22 06:10 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
I think you may be miss judging the potential of a good lure or bait. Trout Oil or a spoonbill oil has good odor. You don't need much. Some good lures have this in them already.

If a product is built well it will hold up quite well to lots of rain or snow over a period of time..

Flooded dirt holes or heavily rain soaked lure displayed elevated will hold odor much longer then most may realize. Many years I have gone out with students in April , May and June.

A good 3-4 months after the close of the season. Many sets that we covered during those training days showed sign of still being visited.

Digging, scratching, and some even had the odor of fresh urine I could detect. I had the students get on their knees to smell the grass tufts and dirt at the sets.

Some locations had droppings left behind that were not there after my line was pulled.

Working lines that may be out for 2-3 weeks or a month those sets shouldn't need much attention after they have been lured/baited initially.

You will be making catches of target and non target species along the way. So things will get attention once again to some degree or another, Depends on how you roll.

If I have the feeling after some time, that a set " may " need attention "and most likely it doesn't" we just get impatient. I will squirt a little good urine/ or liquid bait to spike the set location.

" No more lure " is rarely needed in most situations. Particularly in such a short time period.

When in doubt ,take a dog out to those locations that you feel may need an odor boost and see how the dog reacts to that set or sets.

I am betting you will get the answer or some relief in wanting to boost your set odor. Just keep in mind that more is not necessarily better when working canines.

Particularly if you may be working some seasoned cautious animals.

Re: What lure ingredients? [Re: Bob Jameson] #7660797
08/29/22 06:28 PM
08/29/22 06:28 PM
alabama
steeltraps Offline OP
trapper
steeltraps  Offline OP
trapper

alabama
Bob. I guess im asking alot out of a lure. I know it works. As you discribed. I have seen it 4 months latter when I returned. I quess im looking for = something that sticks well - smells loud enough to call one over BUT at the same time = works with caution coyotes that are trapped basicly year round. Plus i only want to apply it 1 time for 3 weeks threw 9 inchs of rain. Just have some weather concerns and concerns on lure habitualization. Got me thinking about = this topic. Worked on = better lure holder. Really like = sheeps wool. BUT i go 39 miles up the road. Everything messes with it. Thanks for advice. Just something that popped into my head

Re: What lure ingredients? [Re: steeltraps] #7660803
08/29/22 06:43 PM
08/29/22 06:43 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
If you need to alter or improve a lures water proof qualities that can be done. Or get a lure or lures that already have those qualities built into them already.

Re: What lure ingredients? [Re: Bob Jameson] #7660810
08/29/22 07:05 PM
08/29/22 07:05 PM
alabama
steeltraps Offline OP
trapper
steeltraps  Offline OP
trapper

alabama
Originally Posted by Bob Jameson
If you need to alter or improve a lures water proof qualities that can be done. Or get a lure or lures that already have those qualities built into them already.

Thanks Bob. To be honest. I pretty much expected the answer you gave. But to here it from you makes me fell better. Im just got worried about all this rain and impaintents and self doubt creep in. I all ways pick up my lure stick when im done. And I rarely dig a dirt hole. I use 3/4 pvc for bait holder. Bush for backing. Like Wiley Carrols bamboo pipe set. I have been on this place now for almost 9 year. 3 times a year. New biologist out of college thinks i need 1 more week here. I appreciate the money. BUT I honestly dont see the need. 3 days after monsoon rains and no tracks. I told the owners how I feel. Just dont think anything is left to catch. But biologist just out of collage they hire now does. This is making me very anxious. Worried about lure that i now kills coyotes. Just lots of rain. Lots land and no coyote tracks. Has be thinking of all kinds of stuff! LOL!

Re: What lure ingredients? [Re: steeltraps] #7660835
08/29/22 07:40 PM
08/29/22 07:40 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
You use your own judgement Chris. Don't let someone without your experience dictate to you what you do, or to make you second guess your abilities or skills.

We have to make calls in the field as to what we feel is the right thing to do and what the sign is currently telling you. Always trust your instincts and stand your ground if that is how you feel.

I have had some run ins with those thinking they know better them me. I tell them how it is and if I don't feel right I get paid to that point and they can hire someone else.

Re: What lure ingredients? [Re: Bob Jameson] #7660850
08/29/22 08:09 PM
08/29/22 08:09 PM
alabama
steeltraps Offline OP
trapper
steeltraps  Offline OP
trapper

alabama
Thanks Bob. I told the owners how I feel. Dont want to take their money for extra days. Whats funny is some of the tracks the biologist say. He saw = the tracks under the gate they went up the road. He said —- I saw were that coyote stomped around and felt. I SAID he didnt leave. Thats the 1 in my pics of female on a drag in weeds by stump. Biologist thought = all my traps where. As he said = chain to the ground. SO this biologist doesnt know the difference between = a staked trap and 1 on a 10 ft drag = as far as how they look when they leave out with a drag. LOL! Kind of funny when you think about it

Re: What lure ingredients? [Re: steeltraps] #7660879
08/29/22 08:58 PM
08/29/22 08:58 PM
Southeast Louisiana
S
Slipknot Offline
trapper
Slipknot  Offline
trapper
S

Southeast Louisiana
St i too have been pondering these very same things with all the rain we been getting. One thing that i have thought of but not tried. Is on the bait pipe is putting a tee on top or a elbow on the pipe to protect the bait some. The other was Lanolin base in the bait but that was just a thought Mr. Bob would have to weigh in On that ..Some Biologists well I'll leave it at that. I just bought a box of stuff from Mr. Bob the other day and I hope I bought a jar of that stuff that works for 3 or 4 months after season. Lol Just kidding I know Mr, Bobs stuff is top shelf.

Re: What lure ingredients? [Re: steeltraps] #7661070
08/30/22 05:00 AM
08/30/22 05:00 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
A flat set made with sac oil works through rain. Sac oil is not great as a stand alone but it will catch a few.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: What lure ingredients? [Re: steeltraps] #7662001
08/31/22 09:52 AM
08/31/22 09:52 AM
Alaska/Washington
D
Dragger Offline
trapper
Dragger  Offline
trapper
D

Alaska/Washington
Originally Posted by steeltraps
Originally Posted by Bob Jameson

Thanks Bob. To be honest. I pretty much expected the answer you gave. But to here it from you makes me fell better. Im just got worried about all this rain and impaintents and self doubt creep in. I all ways pick up my lure stick when im done. And I rarely dig a dirt hole. I use 3/4 pvc for bait holder. Bush for backing. Like Wiley Carrols bamboo pipe set. I have been on this place now for almost 9 year. 3 times a year. New biologist out of college thinks i need 1 more week here. I appreciate the money. BUT I honestly dont see the need. 3 days after monsoon rains and no tracks. I told the owners how I feel. Just dont think anything is left to catch. But biologist just out of collage they hire now does. This is making me very anxious. Worried about lure that i now kills coyotes. Just lots of rain. Lots land and no coyote tracks. Has be thinking of all kinds of stuff! LOL!

I use cameras before, during, and after trapping on some jobs. Clears up doubts.

Give an illegal alien a fish and he eats for a day. Deport him and you never have to feed him ever again!
Re: What lure ingredients? [Re: steeltraps] #7662523
09/01/22 09:07 AM
09/01/22 09:07 AM
E central Il
G
Golf ball Offline
trapper
Golf ball  Offline
trapper
G

E central Il
Chris I know you are using a pipe for a bait holder now , if you use it like Mark Zaggers intended it will help with the water situation you’ve got going on down there. Cut those pipes 10” long, drill a 1/4” hole cross ways about 2” down from the top and never drive it below this hole . The idea is by driving the pipe in at an angle you are protecting one side from the rain and if the hole fills with water it will leak out at the 1/4” hole. [Linked Image]
These might be 3/4” and 1” ID and they both work well for me , the smaller 1/2” pipe did not work as well , it was just too easy for a coyote to pull out of the ground. I don’t use these as a visual ( but I guess you could ) I hide them in a grass or weed clump or bean stubble or corn stalks or..... the point is I want a coyote hunting for the smell not looking at the pipe trying to decide if he wants to come any closer.

P.S. the 1/4” hole also helps with air movement and dispersal of stink,lol.

Last edited by Golf ball; 09/01/22 09:11 AM.
Re: What lure ingredients? [Re: steeltraps] #7662602
09/01/22 12:08 PM
09/01/22 12:08 PM
Nevadafornia
L
Lazarus Offline
trapper
Lazarus  Offline
trapper
L

Nevadafornia
Originally Posted by steeltraps
OK. Here is my question. What lure ingredients get stronger with water? As in. = If you added water to = It would smell stronger after you added water to it?

Back to the original question, Disposable Fly Trap bait. Laugh at me now, believe me later. Read the ingredient label and then do some research on government testing of TMAD. Add some coyote urine and FSE to the fly bait.

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=7c4c8f87-f132-4ea0-9be3-98285bb30d8a

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91