No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Fox caught at 8pm...check now or in morning? #7684138
10/02/22 09:31 PM
10/02/22 09:31 PM
Arkansas
R
rbray Offline OP
trapper
rbray  Offline OP
trapper
R

Arkansas
We've had a problem...last two years it was coyotes eating barn cats. This year it's foxes eating guinea fowl. In 2 months last year, got 8 coyotes and 2 fox. (yes, we have the requisite permits)
Last week got the bobcat that was spotted in the cow pasture and around our horse barn. This morning caught a fox near the barn.
Set another trap so I'd have 2 near the creek back side of the barn.
Question...I know I've got another fox cause I heard the ruckus around 8pm from the house. Do I check now in the dark (might keep him from tearing up the area too much but no i dont wanna remake the set in the dark), or wait til morning in case there's another that might investigate the 2nd trap?
We're not pros at this and only have abt 8 traps and only 6 in the ground at the moment...unlike some of you with hundreds! Just trying to keep the birds, cats, horses and cattle safe. Used to have a great farm dog, but lost her 2 years ago at age 14, and just haven't had the heart to get another.

Re: Fox caught at 8pm...check now or in morning? [Re: rbray] #7684139
10/02/22 09:35 PM
10/02/22 09:35 PM
Eastern Shore, MD
J
JoMiBru Offline
trapper
JoMiBru  Offline
trapper
J

Eastern Shore, MD
Welcome! And congrats on the catch. If you’re close, go get your fox and use a light to remake the set. Remakes are the best and you might even catch another by morning! It’s up to you, either option is fine, the fox will still be there in the morning. But I’d get out there now if ya got time! Just my opinion.

John

Re: Fox caught at 8pm...check now or in morning? [Re: rbray] #7684147
10/02/22 09:56 PM
10/02/22 09:56 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I would leave it til next day.You say you got another trap set nearby-a caught animal is a big call attraction for other animals.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Fox caught at 8pm...check now or in morning? [Re: rbray] #7684148
10/02/22 10:01 PM
10/02/22 10:01 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
are you trapping as a trapper or as a land owner?

in WI if fox season were on and it ins't just yet if the trap snapped and I heard it at 8am I would have to legally wait till 4am to check it

we were trapping while camping one night , very still night in early Dec set a few coon traps down by the river and we were up on a bluff over them
sitting at the camp fire about 10pm I heard that coon let out a noise that told me it was likely in a trap

it was but I was trapping as a trapper in season so WI rules dictate no checking traps 8pm to 4am you need to stay out

we did have a young female in the morning a muddy mess

we skinned her and cooked her for supper , this was a boy scout trip and there were stories told about that for a while. I hold to the stories were quit embellished.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Fox caught at 8pm...check now or in morning? [Re: rbray] #7684150
10/02/22 10:05 PM
10/02/22 10:05 PM
Arkansas
R
rbray Offline OP
trapper
rbray  Offline OP
trapper
R

Arkansas
LOL...we couldn't take the suspense...but please if you will, picture netflix on pause, husband in his shorts, me in my bathrobe...set being remade by trucklight and ready for the next one. please do laugh with us..we look ridiculous! But we know there's at least a couple more...cause the neighbors saw them getting after their hen house.

Re: Fox caught at 8pm...check now or in morning? [Re: rbray] #7684152
10/02/22 10:09 PM
10/02/22 10:09 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted by rbray
LOL...we couldn't take the suspense...but please if you will, picture netflix on pause, husband in his shorts, me in my bathrobe...set being remade by trucklight and ready for the next one. please do laugh with us..we look ridiculous! But we know there's at least a couple more...cause the neighbors saw them getting after their hen house.

I've been known to shoot a few coon and possums out to the dogs in my nightgown, LOL

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Fox caught at 8pm...check now or in morning? [Re: yotetrapper30] #7684158
10/02/22 10:21 PM
10/02/22 10:21 PM
Arkansas
R
rbray Offline OP
trapper
rbray  Offline OP
trapper
R

Arkansas
I took the kids skunk shooting in my pjs a few times! hahahah (I'm a night owl..husband is not!)

Re: Fox caught at 8pm...check now or in morning? [Re: rbray] #7684159
10/02/22 10:25 PM
10/02/22 10:25 PM
ND
K
Kyle Krebs Offline
trapper
Kyle Krebs  Offline
trapper
K

ND
It would be a good story to catch 2 fox in same trap in one night!!.
I feel sorry for you guys in Wisconsin. Get hammered with a 24 hour check and then tell ya you can't check your traps from 8 to 4

Re: Fox caught at 8pm...check now or in morning? [Re: rbray] #7684165
10/02/22 10:37 PM
10/02/22 10:37 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
I don’t care if I got 4 traps set, I’m going to dispatch and reset. Now if it’s like 11pm or something it can wait until morning, lol. I posted several months back about us sitting around eating dinner about 7:30pm or so and even had the kids over when I got a coyote caught on camera. The wife wanted to go check it out, so we did, lol. I will admit, only once have I went and remade a set and had another critter in the same set the very next morning.

Last edited by Wanna Be; 10/02/22 10:38 PM.
Re: Fox caught at 8pm...check now or in morning? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7684173
10/02/22 10:46 PM
10/02/22 10:46 PM
Arkansas
R
rbray Offline OP
trapper
rbray  Offline OP
trapper
R

Arkansas
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

in WI if fox season were on and it ins't just yet if the trap snapped and I heard it at 8am I would have to legally wait till 4am to check it

we were trapping while camping one night , very still night in early Dec set a few coon traps down by the river and we were up on a bluff over them
sitting at the camp fire about 10pm I heard that coon let out a noise that told me it was likely in a trap

it was but I was trapping as a trapper in season so WI rules dictate no checking traps 8pm to 4am you need to stay out

we skinned her and cooked her for supper , this was a boy scout trip and there were stories told about that for a while. I hold to the stories were quit embellished.

Just a landowner - not pros at all - just protecting what's ours. Some of our land backs up to the neighbors house, so same varmints tend to get us both. I'm down 20 guineas and a cat this month - so game on. If they'd just go eat the rabbits, mice, and such, we'd be all copacetic.When our barn becomes a hunting ground, we go to war. (likewise with calves) We keep nuisance and predator control permits active, so pretty much anything goes day/night/shoot/trap as long as we stay on our own land. Finally have turkeys again. Haven't had quail since my grandparents were alive (my grandmother loved them wouldn't let anyone hunt them). Deer are plentiful - we lease out the back side of our property to a hunt club - so the deer bed down behind our garage and eat by our pool! HA.
PS - I feel like anything we catch is blind luck - and everything we know, we learned from YouTube and google. And we have a buddy that'll come collect them so they don't go to waste or to the black buzzards - those things are nasty and also attack calves.
PPS - never eaten fox - lol. Got a freezer full of beef though!

Last edited by rbray; 10/02/22 10:52 PM.
Re: Fox caught at 8pm...check now or in morning? [Re: JoMiBru] #7684200
10/03/22 12:26 AM
10/03/22 12:26 AM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Originally Posted by JoMiBru
Welcome! , the fox will still be there in the morning. John

You hope! But why make it sit there all night, do the remake or not, but put it down quick as you can.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Fox caught at 8pm...check now or in morning? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7684201
10/03/22 12:31 AM
10/03/22 12:31 AM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
I was trapping as a trapper in season so WI rules dictate no checking traps 8pm to 4am you need to stay out.

What's the reason for that?

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Fox caught at 8pm...check now or in morning? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7684208
10/03/22 03:13 AM
10/03/22 03:13 AM
Wisconsin
Scott__aR Offline
trapper
Scott__aR  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin

???? GREENCOUNTYPETE is this new ????
I haven't taken the time to read this year's regs completely, but past 2 years regs that I have at hand say trapping hours are 24 hours a day ( in season of course). The exception being in State Parks due to their hours of closure (11pm - one hour before sunrise). Now if a firearm is used for dispatching an animal, then the in-season hunting regulations hours would apply.

Megapredator ... top of the food chain!
Member of WTA
Member of MTPCA
Member of NTA
Re: Fox caught at 8pm...check now or in morning? [Re: rbray] #7684252
10/03/22 06:30 AM
10/03/22 06:30 AM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
I'd have taken it out and reset by light as y'all did, no harm in that.

Re: Fox caught at 8pm...check now or in morning? [Re: rbray] #7684280
10/03/22 07:48 AM
10/03/22 07:48 AM
PA
W
w side rd 151 Offline
trapper
w side rd 151  Offline
trapper
W

PA
If I had reason to believe I had and animal at 8 pm I would remove it as soon as possible . And as you did you remade the sets at that time .In the past I checked my line before going to work .I would attempted to do a remake .It may not be ideal but only a set trap can catch you another critter

Re: Fox caught at 8pm...check now or in morning? [Re: Scott__aR] #7684824
10/03/22 09:36 PM
10/03/22 09:36 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Scott__aR

???? GREENCOUNTYPETE is this new ????
I haven't taken the time to read this year's regs completely, but past 2 years regs that I have at hand say trapping hours are 24 hours a day ( in season of course). The exception being in State Parks due to their hours of closure (11pm - one hour before sunrise). Now if a firearm is used for dispatching an animal, then the in-season hunting regulations hours would apply.

I am apparently recalling the old regs , that happened in about 2014-2015 and at that time I believe it was 8pm to 4am
I went and looked and it does now say 24hours a day a lot of things have changed like you may now shoot deer with any gun that can reasonably reduce the target animal to bag. meaning you can shoot a deer with a 204 ruger if you want if you want some have been taken with 17hmr and the warden said since it dropped in it's tracks he couldn't write the guy a ticket for not reasonable equiptment.
I found a reference that it was 4am to 8pm check in 2016 in WI so some time after that it changed

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Fox caught at 8pm...check now or in morning? [Re: rbray] #7684835
10/03/22 09:51 PM
10/03/22 09:51 PM
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Offline
trapper
Nessmuck  Offline
trapper
N

New Hampshire

Pete ...it’s not haahd to say .....

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
Re: Fox caught at 8pm...check now or in morning? [Re: rbray] #7684846
10/03/22 10:00 PM
10/03/22 10:00 PM
ohio
Ohio Wolverine Offline
trapper
Ohio Wolverine  Offline
trapper

ohio
Give him a break , it seems that they change laws whenever they feel like it.
I remember that law one time in Ohio, it was for stopping early season coon hunters from harvesting out of season coon .
Just like they had to carry a light seen all around for 1/4 mile.
When's the last time you have seen that?

We have met the enemy and the enemy is us!
Re: Fox caught at 8pm...check now or in morning? [Re: rbray] #7684865
10/03/22 10:25 PM
10/03/22 10:25 PM
ohio
Ohio Wolverine Offline
trapper
Ohio Wolverine  Offline
trapper

ohio
I worked nights as a younger self , and after work , was still wound up from being so active.
Would check part of my line each night on the way home .
Changed the part of the line each night.
Many times had a double catch in a 24 hour period.
Just needed to unwind , so would do that , and then check in the morning , and start over.

Last edited by Drifter; 10/04/22 08:37 AM. Reason: non target catch

We have met the enemy and the enemy is us!
Re: Fox caught at 8pm...check now or in morning? [Re: yotetrapper30] #7684899
10/03/22 11:27 PM
10/03/22 11:27 PM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
Originally Posted by rbray

I've been known to shoot a few coon and possums out to the dogs in my nightgown, LOL

Why would you let your dogs wear your nightgown? wink

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread