No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Rewiring Boat Trailer [Re: Willy Firewood] #7694987
10/18/22 01:14 PM
10/18/22 01:14 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Originally Posted by Willy Firewood
Are the lights used / old? Incandescent or LED? Sealed?

Start with a new set of lights. Old trailer lights were very poor quality. The new LED sealed lights are good.

No need to go to the battery for a ground. Drill a hole on the vehicle somewhere that won’t damage. Same thing on the trailer.

Look at etrailer.com for a new set of lights if needed.

This,

like I said, the truck plug has one to the truck frame and same with trailer, from trailer plug to trailer frame. The lights are also grounded to the frame of the trailer.

Re: Rewiring Boat Trailer [Re: Sanford Otte] #7695218
10/18/22 07:11 PM
10/18/22 07:11 PM
Wakefield, NE.
S
Sanford Otte Offline OP
trapper
Sanford Otte  Offline OP
trapper
S

Wakefield, NE.
Well we're up and running I replaced both the back tail lights and as long as I had the jumper wire from the batt. connected they worked fine but when I disconnected from the batt. it started doing all sorts of thing so I connected a heavy jumper from the rear hitch on the P/U to a bolt on the trailer hitch and every thing works like a charm, so definitely was a grounding problem and apparently with what rust and crud that I can't get out is enough to affect the lights. Once again thanks to all the people with all the comments and suggestions it was much appreciated.

Re: Rewiring Boat Trailer [Re: Sanford Otte] #7695263
10/18/22 07:56 PM
10/18/22 07:56 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Still fishing? Make hay while the sun shines!!! This weekend is spose to be warm again.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Rewiring Boat Trailer [Re: Sanford Otte] #7695744
10/19/22 09:28 AM
10/19/22 09:28 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
99% of the time trailer light problem is a bad ground. Old style lights with the 1157 bulbs the socket gets corroded and the bulb wont ground. Unplugging the trailer before you back in the water helps save the bulb but that socket corrodes and every year or two you need new lights. Sand paper is a very poor fix. Dont last long. Ground through the ball hitch everything works for awhile when its all new. With a receiver hitch ball its even iffier. I quit using the trailer frame a long time ago for a ground and ran a wire all the way back and connected both lights to it. If I wire in the vehicle plug (have not had to in quite a long time) I run a wire all the way to the - battery post. Yes you can ground to the frame or something but never had any problems from a wire to the battery. Solder and shrink tubing. Cant say that enough. With led trailer lights no more ground problems from bad sockets. Its real nice to hook up to your trailer after it sat a few months, plug in the lights, and they all work properly.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Rewiring Boat Trailer [Re: Sanford Otte] #7695757
10/19/22 09:45 AM
10/19/22 09:45 AM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Every boat I ever owned had aground wire from the plug directly to the light. NEVER had an issue with a ground. Too many spot and points of ground to be painted or rust to rely on the frame for the ground. First one I bought was a new stratos 17 ft in 1986. Why would anyone even try to use the frame. The vehicle plug has a ground on it .IF it doesn't theyre only 5 bucks on amazon with 60 in wires......

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread