No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Remembering old fur buyers [Re: Giant Sage] #7703819
10/29/22 11:49 AM
10/29/22 11:49 AM
Iowa,
E
eedup Offline
trapper
eedup  Offline
trapper
E

Iowa,
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Guess I haven't got that far from fur handling. Started this week catching up on otters from last season.

Re: Remembering old fur buyers [Re: Giant Sage] #7703821
10/29/22 11:51 AM
10/29/22 11:51 AM
Iowa,
E
eedup Offline
trapper
eedup  Offline
trapper
E

Iowa,
Regan still buys some fur and his grandkids help process now.

Re: Remembering old fur buyers [Re: Giant Sage] #7703824
10/29/22 11:56 AM
10/29/22 11:56 AM
Iowa,
E
eedup Offline
trapper
eedup  Offline
trapper
E

Iowa,
Jimmy Watson and Roy Lewis in south Arkansas

Re: Remembering old fur buyers [Re: eedup] #7703826
10/29/22 12:00 PM
10/29/22 12:00 PM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Originally Posted by eedup
Rick Hemseth and Mike Mazur been around the buying game a long time also

Saw Rick at the Minnesota convention this year. Still doing what he does because he says he doesn't know anything else. Sounds about right for most of us trappers.

Re: Remembering old fur buyers [Re: eedup] #7703870
10/29/22 01:29 PM
10/29/22 01:29 PM
sseMinnesota
blackhammer Offline
trapper
blackhammer  Offline
trapper

sseMinnesota
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Guess I haven't got that far from fur handling. Started this week catching up on otters from last season.

Looks good Dean At least otter have demand but way too cheap. Hemseth along with most of the rest of us are the last of our kind

Ah,for the life of a millionaire,say some,but just let me stay a trapper. Bill Nelson
Re: Remembering old fur buyers [Re: Giant Sage] #7703876
10/29/22 01:38 PM
10/29/22 01:38 PM
MT
S
Slick Pan Offline
trapper
Slick Pan  Offline
trapper
S

MT
Back in the mid 80's I got permission to trap on a very big ranch but I could only trap beaver. It was damage control. They would not let you trap coyote which is mostly what I trapped then. I did take a lot of beaver off the ranch. It was certainly a beautiful place and had it all to my self. Many thousands of acres .When it came time to sell my beaver there was a guy I think his name was Paul. He worked for Pacific Fur. He came to my neighbors to buy and pick up cans. She would buy cans and put them in like 10 foot long bags. He would show up in a big truck to load the cans and them come into my garage to look at my fur. Kinda cool private sale.

Re: Remembering old fur buyers [Re: Slick Pan] #7703905
10/29/22 02:41 PM
10/29/22 02:41 PM
Michigan
T
Thumbian Offline
trapper
Thumbian  Offline
trapper
T

Michigan
George Haupt (Thumb Fur Co.) near Sandusky, Mi. Starting going with my Dad when they had the fox club, usually about 100 a year. I starting trapping when I as 10 and I sold to George until he passed. When I was 14 I got a Remington Sportsmen 12 for Christmas. We were at George’s and he had a rifled slug barrel in his display case. I was checking it out while he was with another customer. When George had wrote my check he asked if I was interested in the barrel and I told him yes but I wasn’t going to buy it now. He said to just take it and Merry Christmas. Not many men like George was.

Re: Remembering old fur buyers [Re: Giant Sage] #7703988
10/29/22 05:24 PM
10/29/22 05:24 PM
central IA
B
bodycount Offline
trapper
bodycount  Offline
trapper
B

central IA
I have to mention Neil Hooper from Indianola Ia. Back in the 60's ran a route into SW Ia.

Re: Remembering old fur buyers [Re: blackhammer] #7704000
10/29/22 05:39 PM
10/29/22 05:39 PM
Iowa,
E
eedup Offline
trapper
eedup  Offline
trapper
E

Iowa,
Thanks Paul, yeah I been tanning otter since prices went below twenty bucks. I need to get some blankets or hats made. Or Trade some tanned otter for other things.

Re: Remembering old fur buyers [Re: Giant Sage] #7704019
10/29/22 06:27 PM
10/29/22 06:27 PM
E. Oregon
S
super cub Offline
trapper
super cub  Offline
trapper
S

E. Oregon
I started trapping rats in 1967 there was afir buyer named Ford Peterson i didn't have a clew what i was doing to skin or stretch them. Ford traded me 6 rats for 6 wire stretchers and showed me how to use them after that it was $.50 ea I was in hog heaven.
Years later he was getting older and tried to get me to go to work for him

Re: Remembering old fur buyers [Re: Giant Sage] #7704055
10/29/22 07:14 PM
10/29/22 07:14 PM
IL
H
houndone Offline
trapper
houndone  Offline
trapper
H

IL
Cambridge fur,kishwaukee fur, groenwold, irv schomeyer bought out of his garage in cuba city wi, buckhorn from richland center wi to name a few from this area. this was back in the 70s and early 80s.

Last edited by houndone; 10/29/22 07:14 PM.
Re: Remembering old fur buyers [Re: Paul Dobbins] #7704065
10/29/22 07:36 PM
10/29/22 07:36 PM
Co.-Wy. part time AK.
W
wy.wolfer Offline
trapper
wy.wolfer  Offline
trapper
W

Co.-Wy. part time AK.
Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins
Originally Posted by Oh Snap
Dean Wilson was responsible for many young trappers getting their start with his encouragement and fair practices. His shop was the place to meet many of Alaskan bush trappers. I truly miss my time with Dean!

Before I went to AK, I wrote to Dean and asked what I should bring for trapping equipment. He wrote me a nice letter explaining what he thought I should bring. During trapping season when I lived in North Pole, my wife and I would go to Fairbanks to go shopping. Well, she went shopping and dropped me of at the Klondike Motel where I visited with Dean. Dean bought fur out of a motel room there. Dad came up for a visit in 89 and we went to Copper Center to dip salmon from the Copper River. On the way we stopped at Dean's and had a nice visit. He was a good man, and I miss talking with him.

Dean was one of the "Best". He and I visited quite a bit when he brought his fur into Montreal to Murray Lippman.

Re: Remembering old fur buyers [Re: mike mason] #7704071
10/29/22 07:48 PM
10/29/22 07:48 PM
Co.-Wy. part time AK.
W
wy.wolfer Offline
trapper
wy.wolfer  Offline
trapper
W

Co.-Wy. part time AK.
Originally Posted by mike mason
Ken Conley, Shell, Smith and Warren Crum in NY and PA buyers, Fowler, Mott, Doney, Schaefer, Bridlestein

Pete Smith was another buyer I loved to visit with. He started in the business with his dad in the late 1950's and bought a lot of fur throughout New York, PA. and up through New England. A fine gentleman there also.

Re: Remembering old fur buyers [Re: BernieB.] #7704074
10/29/22 07:52 PM
10/29/22 07:52 PM
Co.-Wy. part time AK.
W
wy.wolfer Offline
trapper
wy.wolfer  Offline
trapper
W

Co.-Wy. part time AK.
Originally Posted by BernieB.

Originally Posted by Giant Sage
Bernie you may not remember me the only time I remember meeting you was at the Gourleys in Ventura the night there freezers had gone down. I believe it was you me Lance Thou and Tracy there . My name is Rich kriegh . I distinctly remember a story you had told about a deer chasing dog a rag and a dog house. I'll leave it at that, I can tell you Mr bud hall spoke highly of you when we visited . He was impressed with your ability to trap coon. I know I saw more than a few coon toggled to a heard wood stake by a cable, but alot more spins lol .

Wish my memory was better I don't remember the story.

Bud Hall was a great guy and one of the best mink trappers ever. He refused to give me mink trapping instructions because we trapped some of the same area. He wouldn't even discuss his favorite set. He always told me that when he was too old to trap, he would take me out and show me everything. But of course he trapped until he died. My articles put a lot of money in his pocket because he did a lot of instructions due to the publicity I gave him. He was always grateful for that.

When he died, his wife sent me a handwritten lure formula he had made about 50 years before. I framed it and sent it to the NTA to be auctioned as a fundraiser. Never heard a word from the NTA, not a thank you or anything. Somebody probably pocketed it rather than put it on the auction or something.

I'm sure that didn't happen that way. Volunteer organizations are never great at distributing thanks for small donations, no matter how sentimental they may be.

Re: Remembering old fur buyers [Re: Giant Sage] #7704075
10/29/22 07:55 PM
10/29/22 07:55 PM
Montana/Florida
G
Gene Dziza Offline
trapper
Gene Dziza  Offline
trapper
G

Montana/Florida
Any New England guys remember Walter Strokie and Reggie Nettles? The first fur I sold was to a furrier in Springfield Massachusetts. He had a factory that made fur coats. He was an old Jewish guy named Max Zeller, that wore suits that appeared too big on him. My mother, God bless her, drove me down with a load of coons. I don’t think he normally bought raw fur but he really liked me. He made me an offer and I started marching out of there. When I hit the sidewalk, I heard a whistle and he flagged me back and offered me my price. Then he walked me all over his plant and seemingly introduced me to everyone. He seemed really proud of me for sticking to my guns. During the war, Polish people saved his family and he liked that my family had immigrated from Poland. He kept introducing me proudly as the “New generation Pollack.” What a great experience for me. I think I had about 20 nice coons and I remember my mom being shocked at how much money I was paid.

Re: Remembering old fur buyers [Re: HILLTOP TRAPPER] #7704118
10/29/22 09:26 PM
10/29/22 09:26 PM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
Originally Posted by HILLTOP TRAPPER
russ cumberland a looong time ago in medford mn.i still visit his place to buy a few things from his sons jeremy an jayden,as far as selling i shipped to nafa the last time i sold fur for money,so as you know i havent sold any fur for a while,there was a guy from madison lake that my mom took me to even before that,but i cant remember his name,but i gotta tell you that guy bought my fur,even though it wasnt put up right and showed me things to make it better,he was a real nice guy.now its pretty much adc

You may be too young to remember old Russ, Rusty's dad, a real character. I think the sons you mention are grandsons of Russ. That fellow your mom took you to in Madison Lake was Bernie Kahnke. Sold quite a few coon to him over the years. You may be too young to remember Oshman's in Mankato, or Hannible Hase out of Blue Earth?

Re: Remembering old fur buyers [Re: Giant Sage] #7704121
10/29/22 09:32 PM
10/29/22 09:32 PM
ND
M
MJM Offline
trapper
MJM  Offline
trapper
M

ND
The first piece of fur I sold was a put up coyote in 1977, I had shot gunned pheasant hunting. It was late October and I too it in to Pacific Hide and fur in Gt Falls MT. Don Judkins was the buyer and he looked it over and said " It's a little early, so all I can give you is $75." My house payment was $110 at the time. The next year I trapped muskrats and made more way more than I ever did working. I sold all my rat's to Don and started going in to the fur room helping in the spring. One day the old guy that worked there shows up and looks at me funny on the way by. I had seen him, but never met him. He was Bob Young. Don come up and introduced us and Bob ask if I liked working in the fur room. I told him I did and he said to come back next fall if I wanted a job. I went back and he ask if I would move out of state and I said yes. He took me in his office and he called Roger Schearer, in Spokane. He told Roger he was sending me over to work and that I needed $5 an hour. I worked two years in Spokane and then went back to Gt Falls and worked two years there.

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: Remembering old fur buyers [Re: Giant Sage] #7704132
10/29/22 09:47 PM
10/29/22 09:47 PM
Wisconsin
B
Bear Tracker Offline
trapper
Bear Tracker  Offline
trapper
B

Wisconsin
In the 70's and 80's In Chippewa Falls my favorite was Ezra Vincent, near him was Muellers - not my guy for several reasons. Ezra was a straight shooter and great old gentlemen. For a few years around Cornell where I lived a Roy Schroeder as well trying to get it going. Never really took off.

Re: Remembering old fur buyers [Re: eedup] #7704151
10/29/22 10:25 PM
10/29/22 10:25 PM
Wy
G
Giant Sage Offline OP
trapper
Giant Sage  Offline OP
trapper
G

Wy
Yes Rich I remember you, I was working for Regan then, skinning and scraping and milking cows for myself also. Dean Hoffman was another buyer. Another life ago....Dean

Sorry about the slow response. Had to run to Cody today. I vaguely remember talk of cow milking lol, are you the guy who had a wore out all metal paring knife that you used for pelting?

Re: Remembering old fur buyers [Re: BernieB.] #7704160
10/29/22 10:40 PM
10/29/22 10:40 PM
Wy
G
Giant Sage Offline OP
trapper
Giant Sage  Offline OP
trapper
G

Wy
Originally Posted by BernieB.

Originally Posted by Giant Sage
Bernie you may not remember me the only time I remember meeting you was at the Gourleys in Ventura the night there freezers had gone down. I believe it was you me Lance Thou and Tracy there . My name is Rich kriegh . I distinctly remember a story you had told about a deer chasing dog a rag and a dog house. I'll leave it at that, I can tell you Mr bud hall spoke highly of you when we visited . He was impressed with your ability to trap coon. I know I saw more than a few coon toggled to a heard wood stake by a cable, but alot more spins lol .

Wish my memory was better I don't remember the story.

Bud Hall was a great guy and one of the best mink trappers ever. He refused to give me mink trapping instructions because we trapped some of the same area. He wouldn't even discuss his favorite set. He always told me that when he was too old to trap, he would take me out and show me everything. But of course he trapped until he died. My articles put a lot of money in his pocket because he did a lot of instructions due to the publicity I gave him. He was always grateful for that.

When he died, his wife sent me a handwritten lure formula he had made about 50 years before. I framed it and sent it to the NTA to be auctioned as a fundraiser. Never heard a word from the NTA, not a thank you or anything. Somebody probably pocketed it rather than put it on the auction or something.

Bernie do you remember when bud died, the last year I talked to him he told me he was planning on trapping one more year. I think that was 91 or 92. I moved to WY spring of 94 and never went back to IA to trap. Bud had caught 225 mink that year.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread