Young Trappers Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

>
pcsoutdoors
(Please support Lenon's Lures, our sponsor for the Kids Forum Page)
Print Thread
Hop To
Time saver for checking traps #7708762
11/04/22 03:47 PM
11/04/22 03:47 PM
Pennsylvania
P
patrapperbuster Offline OP
trapper
patrapperbuster  Offline OP
trapper
P

Pennsylvania
I train new comers from time to time. A good comment came up about wishing more sets could be made, but time is limited before school, etc. There is an answer to this. (you may spend more time after school or in the evening skinning). But that is a good thing!

Make sets, FOX for example, in locations that CAN BE SEEN from a distance & CHECKED WITH BINOCULARS. Saves lots of walking time. Every few days walk to set to make sure trap is not exposed, re-lure, etc.

For COON sets especially, a FLAG STICK can be set up at set area. Works great if checking from road near culverts, bridges, etc. If flag stick is down you know you have a catch. Travel on if flag stick is still up.
To make flag stick, get stick, branch, etc & tie a flagging ribbon to top end (can use no ribbon also).
Make your set on creek (or wherever). To save time set has to be visible from road or path. Lean flag stick next to set against bank or a tree so visible while checking at a distance. Now tie cord or wire to bottom of standing flag stick to trap chain, or just loop trap chain around bottom of flag stick if that close to set. Caught animal will knock over stick showing you have a catch. If using large drag you can just stand that up that against bank or tree.

Hope this creates a bigger line for ya

Re: Time saver for checking traps [Re: patrapperbuster] #7801703
02/18/23 05:31 PM
02/18/23 05:31 PM
Washington
J
Jingles Offline
trapper
Jingles  Offline
trapper
J

Washington
I'm sure that there are trappers in the area where they sometimes fish the hard water and have used tipups. Being as here in WA we have pretty much had to go to just using live traps,that have to be checked daily, what I have done on my cat traps is mount a tip up style flag to the cage that bends over and catches on the cage door, when door drops tip up flag pops up and can be seen from a distance making it so I don't have to "pollute" the area.
What I found works for me is car antennas salvaged from the junk yard with red duck tape on the end folded over on the end

Last edited by Jingles; 02/18/23 05:37 PM. Reason: end

The job of a Patriot is not to protect his country but to protect the people from the tryannical government
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Bogmaster