Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
——NUTRIA:: Locations, Sets, Gear, and More #7717422
11/14/22 01:16 PM
11/14/22 01:16 PM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline OP
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline OP
trapper

Louisiana
Nutria are invasive in Louisiana, and they can cause extensive damage to our wetlands by overgrazing coastal marshes, as well as by causing levees to fail due to their burrowing. They’re responsible for many acres of our coastline being turned into open water, and they’ve been responsible for many ponds being drained when they created deep tunnels. They reproduce very quickly, and it doesn’t take long for their numbers to explode under ideal conditions.

Nutria meat is clean and delicious, and there can be money to be made catching them through bounty programs and potentially even through sales. I call nutes water rabbits, because they taste so good. I save fresh nutes for meat anytime I can and it’s legal.

There doesn’t seem to be a whole lot of information online about nutria trapping, sets, and so on, so I decided to make a thread to share some of the sets that I make. Nutria and muskrats are similar in many ways, but there are differences. Hopefully others will also contribute, because there are some very accomplished nutria trappers and hunters in Louisiana, up and down the East and West Coasts, and almost certainly around the world where they’re also invasive and causing extensive damage.

This is what I call a push-up. It’s a small mound of gathered vegetation and mud that they will climb on to get out of the water. If there is a lot of vegetation around, bodygrips can be used in their trails. If it’s more open around them, I’ll use footholds. If the water is shallow and the mound is pretty solid, staking away from the mound is usually okay. If the water is deeper and the mound is at a higher risk of being destroyed after a catch, it’s a good idea to try to get catches away from the mound by using submersion or slide rigs.

The second photo is of another push-up with 2 main trails approaching it. I blocked one approach with a 280 on a 24” stabilizer driven at a slight angle, and the other with a submerged 160. I placed vegetation over the 160 to get them to swim through it.

The third photo is a substitute for setting the crossovers. Nutria are visiting adjacent ponds by crossing the levee butts. Typically, I set at the crossovers, but in this case I didn’t. Since the crossovers were pretty bare, I set 2 submerged bodygrips with dive sticks where the run was a single column. Notice the run splits beyond the traps.

F387BAAC-4CCB-4123-8B2E-05BEECE816D1.jpeg
Push-up with footholds.

917D8B23-5F92-44B8-A76E-753B2D51A56C.jpeg
Push-up with approaches blocked with bodygrips.

242E9113-F8D6-41EB-B72B-B03B44F89669.jpeg
Submerged bodygrips with dive sticks placed in a run between crossovers.

Re: ——NUTRIA:: Locations, Sets, Gear, and More [Re: Aix sponsa] #7717431
11/14/22 01:33 PM
11/14/22 01:33 PM
texas
L
la4wd54 Offline
trapper
la4wd54  Offline
trapper
L

texas
All look good, I haven't trapped nutria since the late 60's, mostly in rice field canals. Trails and dens mostly. Make it down to the Cameron parish fur and wildlife festival, usually in January, for a great time. Muskrat, nutria skimning contests, trap setting ,dog trials and much more. One of the coldest festivals in LA but a good one to hit.

Re: ——NUTRIA:: Locations, Sets, Gear, and More [Re: Aix sponsa] #7717562
11/14/22 05:11 PM
11/14/22 05:11 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
Sheared and dyed nutria is a nice skin

Re: ——NUTRIA:: Locations, Sets, Gear, and More [Re: LT GREY] #7717775
11/14/22 09:13 PM
11/14/22 09:13 PM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline OP
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline OP
trapper

Louisiana
Originally Posted by LT GREY

They’re also starting to use them for hats. One of the largest buyers of beaver in North America came down from New York to Woodsworth, La last weekend to talk to us about his intention to buy tens of thousands (wasn’t it 100,000?) nutria pelts to use in his factories.

I’ve seen and touched hats made with nutria, and I wouldnt have known it wasn’t beaver felt if I hadn’t been told.

Re: ——NUTRIA:: Locations, Sets, Gear, and More [Re: Aix sponsa] #7717792
11/14/22 09:32 PM
11/14/22 09:32 PM
Orergon
A
alaska viking Offline
"Made it two years not being censored"
alaska viking  Offline
"Made it two years not being censored"
A

Orergon
Good luck. They are an ok fur, but market has been poor for decades.

Last edited by alaska viking; 11/14/22 09:33 PM.

Just doing what I want now.

Re: ——NUTRIA:: Locations, Sets, Gear, and More [Re: alaska viking] #7717819
11/14/22 09:55 PM
11/14/22 09:55 PM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline OP
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline OP
trapper

Louisiana
Originally Posted by alaska viking
Good luck. They are an ok fur, but market has been poor for decades.

The money is sometimes in catching them. A person in the right location and equipment could turn over hundreds in a day, guaranteed. At $6 a pop bounty, people make money. I was told they shot 5,000 in a day on marsh island once. I wasn’t there to confirm, but the trail could be followed for details. After what I’ve seen, I absolutely believe it. When they get thick in a location here, it’s like an infestation. Seeing 100 or more in a short boat ride isn’t even a big deal in some areas. Selling them is a way to add value.

In my honest opinion, they’re one of the best wild meats there is. If you can tell it apart from rabbit, I’d be surprised. I cook it with smoked pork ribs, and it makes as fine of a sauce as I’ve had.

Then there’s the people that’ll pay good money to get rid of them because they’re tired of losing thousands pumping water and fixing broken levees.

There’s plenty reasons to catch nutes down here

Re: ——NUTRIA:: Locations, Sets, Gear, and More [Re: Aix sponsa] #7719276
11/16/22 05:26 PM
11/16/22 05:26 PM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
Aix, did the fellow saying they wanted to buy nutria give any indication of a price point? Here in Oregon there is no bounty so it's just what you can get for fur and skull. Combining the two is around $5 so I don't mess with them. If the fur was up above $5 I'd think about it.

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: ——NUTRIA:: Locations, Sets, Gear, and More [Re: beaverpeeler] #7719436
11/16/22 08:52 PM
11/16/22 08:52 PM
Louisiana
AirportTrapper Offline
trapper
AirportTrapper  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
Aix, did the fellow saying they wanted to buy nutria give any indication of a price point? Here in Oregon there is no bounty so it's just what you can get for fur and skull. Combining the two is around $5 so I don't mess with them. If the fur was up above $5 I'd think about it.

$7 per pound dried fur was my understanding.

If it makes a track on this earth , I can catch it.
Re: ——NUTRIA:: Locations, Sets, Gear, and More [Re: Aix sponsa] #7719455
11/16/22 09:07 PM
11/16/22 09:07 PM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
I've never weighed a dried nutria pelt. Any idea how much an XL nutria pelt weighs?

Re: ——NUTRIA:: Locations, Sets, Gear, and More [Re: Aix sponsa] #7719458
11/16/22 09:10 PM
11/16/22 09:10 PM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
As far as sets for nutria go they are super easy to trap. In open water situations they are suckers for an apple on a stick just back of the trap. Golden delicious or any yellow skin apple being the best.

Re: ——NUTRIA:: Locations, Sets, Gear, and More [Re: Aix sponsa] #7719569
11/16/22 11:02 PM
11/16/22 11:02 PM
Louisiana
M
MattLA Offline
trapper
MattLA  Offline
trapper
M

Louisiana
Originally Posted by Aix sponsa
Originally Posted by LT GREY

They’re also starting to use them for hats. One of the largest buyers of beaver in North America came down from New York to Woodsworth, La last weekend to talk to us about his intention to buy tens of thousands (wasn’t it 100,000?) nutria pelts to use in his factories.

I’ve seen and touched hats made with nutria, and I wouldnt have known it wasn’t beaver felt if I hadn’t been told.

I asked Fur Harvesters not even a week ago and they said there was zero interest and that they have asked every year. I hope the gentlemen follows up, certainly would help the situation here in Louisiana. I know one of the guys that get in the 5000-7500 every year, they shoot them, cut the tail and ditch the body. The main issue right now is getting permission to where they are abundant and in the Nutria bounty zone.

There was a place in NOLA that used to take them and make stuff, but too little interest made them stop, a shame really when you think about it. Thanks for the tips and trap sets, I keep trying for good ole Cameron Parish for Nutria, but some of the land owners not real privy to give permission.

Last edited by MattLA; 11/16/22 11:44 PM.
Re: ——NUTRIA:: Locations, Sets, Gear, and More [Re: Aix sponsa] #7719680
11/17/22 06:15 AM
11/17/22 06:15 AM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline OP
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline OP
trapper

Louisiana
The first push-up has produced (2) nutes this week. The second catch all but destroyed the location.

The second push-up has produced (3), and it is still intact. Bodygrips help.

The run between the crossovers has produced (1) this week.

I have picked up (5) more nutes in other locations. (4) in levee crossovers and (1) in a run.

This is a small crawfish pond complex. I expect to catch a few more nutes here this week before pulling traps.

Re: ——NUTRIA:: Locations, Sets, Gear, and More [Re: Aix sponsa] #7719692
11/17/22 06:29 AM
11/17/22 06:29 AM
new york
M
mike mason Offline
trapper
mike mason  Offline
trapper
M

new york
Trapped in LA one winter in early 80's and caught a ton of nutria. I got $7.50/put- up but no one would touch the meat. Sold every possum and coon but could not give the nutria away. I would shoot 4-5 a day when checking traps. Great memories!

Re: ——NUTRIA:: Locations, Sets, Gear, and More [Re: Aix sponsa] #7719693
11/17/22 06:30 AM
11/17/22 06:30 AM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline OP
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline OP
trapper

Louisiana
Originally Posted by MattLA

I asked Fur Harvesters not even a week ago and they said there was zero interest and that they have asked every year. I hope the gentlemen follows up, certainly would help the situation here in Louisiana. I know one of the guys that get in the 5000-7500 every year, they shoot them, cut the tail and ditch the body. The main issue right now is getting permission to where they are abundant and in the Nutria bounty zone.

There was a place in NOLA that used to take them and make stuff, but too little interest made them stop, a shame really when you think about it. Thanks for the tips and trap sets, I keep trying for good ole Cameron Parish for Nutria, but some of the land owners not real privy to give permission.

They shoot them because it’s so much more efficient. Nutes aren’t shy, and they’ll pile up. Footholds being so expensive doesn’t help. People that haven’t seen serious nutria problems and populations simply can’t wrap their heads around what we mean when we say they’re thick.

I understand what you mean about land access. While landowners want the nutes eliminated, people are worried about being sued as you well know. Having liability insurance would almost certainly help a person get access.

Re: ——NUTRIA:: Locations, Sets, Gear, and More [Re: mike mason] #7719699
11/17/22 06:40 AM
11/17/22 06:40 AM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline OP
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline OP
trapper

Louisiana
Originally Posted by mike mason
Trapped in LA one winter in early 80's and caught a ton of nutria. I got $7.50/put- up but no one would touch the meat. Sold every possum and coon but could not give the nutria away. I would shoot 4-5 a day when checking traps. Great memories!

People are funny like that. They’ll turn their nose up at a clean, grass fed animal while consuming chicken and catfish like there’s no tomorrow, which is a shame because they’re so delicious. Rabbit meat sells out in almost every store I see it in. Usually $14-15 each. Nutes should be selling for at least $10-15 each.

It is my opinion that for nutes to have even a chance of becoming a mainstream food, it needs a new name and quality control must be a priority. Fresh meat only. No saving every last one for meat when temps are in the 80s. Treat the meat like it would be getting served in their house. Every time someone calls them a nutria, it leaves the opportunity for someone to finish the sentence with “rat.” I’ve gotten in the habit of calling them water rabbits.

Re: ——NUTRIA:: Locations, Sets, Gear, and More [Re: Aix sponsa] #7719821
11/17/22 09:53 AM
11/17/22 09:53 AM
Louisiana
M
MattLA Offline
trapper
MattLA  Offline
trapper
M

Louisiana
I agree with you Aix that nutria have a bad rep for no good reason. Once I get permission in some of these spots, I think with a concerted effort we can change the opinion. Like the new name you say....perhaps I can share I have been a little successful with Petit Ours(mini bear or raccoon). Im quite sure many are like that, if you said it was a diff name, people wouldnt be so in arms. If you come up with a name, ill start using it...we have a food donation coming up for December that we are doing so. Ill start spreading the word then if you want.

I actually bought like 100+ of the foot holds specifically for the nutria, but like you said people who are shooting them are more efficient. I look forward to the day once we eliminate the nutria, our muskrat can repopulate.

Re: ——NUTRIA:: Locations, Sets, Gear, and More [Re: Aix sponsa] #7719907
11/17/22 11:23 AM
11/17/22 11:23 AM
U.P. Michigan
G
garart Offline
trapper
garart  Offline
trapper
G

U.P. Michigan
The only nutria I ever seen was at the county fair, as a kid, they called them " Giant killer rats from Paris france" or something like that.
So what size foot holds are you using to catch these " Marsh Rabbits"?

Re: ——NUTRIA:: Locations, Sets, Gear, and More [Re: Aix sponsa] #7719981
11/17/22 01:01 PM
11/17/22 01:01 PM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
I have always used 1.5 coil springs or long springs either way. 220 conibears being very good too.

BTW, I had nutria summer sausage that a fellow trapper had made up and thought it was the best I'd ever had.

Have any of you guys looked into the legalities in your state for retail sale to the public of nutria meat? I've asked our Dept of Ag about it and the verdict is still out. We farmers can butcher and sell rabbits and poultry small scale without any inspections or licensing but so far they seem to think I need licensed facility for wild meat. I would think a trappers should be treated to the same exemptions that small farmers enjoy.

Re: ——NUTRIA:: Locations, Sets, Gear, and More [Re: Aix sponsa] #7720004
11/17/22 01:24 PM
11/17/22 01:24 PM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline OP
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline OP
trapper

Louisiana
The 2nd push-up guarded by 280s gave up another double this morning. That brings the total on that location to (5).

[Linked Image]

Re: ——NUTRIA:: Locations, Sets, Gear, and More [Re: garart] #7720080
11/17/22 03:10 PM
11/17/22 03:10 PM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline OP
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline OP
trapper

Louisiana
Originally Posted by garart
The only nutria I ever seen was at the county fair, as a kid, they called them " Giant killer rats from Paris france" or something like that.
So what size foot holds are you using to catch these " Marsh Rabbits"?

I use 1.5 and #11 because it’s what I have. If I could get my hands on enough sleepy creek #2 DLS I’d say they’d be about perfect, but I can’t buy them new anywhere.

For BGs I use 160/220 on land and shallow water. 160s will quickly dispatch even the largest nutes with a good strike. In deeper water I use 220/280. 330s are okay on the large nutes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91