No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Got geese? [Re: Savell] #7721604
11/19/22 11:17 AM
11/19/22 11:17 AM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Originally Posted by Savell
Originally Posted by Osky
Snows have gone over heavy this last week.
I’ve hunted under incoming masses like that Law… an incredible thing and quite deafening.

Osky

... that sounds like a great way to get crapped on

Oh you do. When a mass like that comes in it’s like swirling tornado above slowly lowering down. The noise is incredible. The sound system and hand calls can’t be heard. You try to let as many as possible land before going into action. I’ve never pulled the string on that, Rob does and when his gun goes off it’s go time. He always takes first shot towards the center of the spread so all can hear it and it’s barely heard over the din.
I lay there a couple years ago under one of those masses and a snow was literally standing on my legs and another I brushed his feet when I grabbed beside me for the shotgun. Insane noise with one 12” to your right squawking away.
The hardest part is focusing on one bird down the barrel while others are flashing across in between and the entire background is swirling with birds. Hunting snows is crazy fun.
For you guys who may go, you won’t find a harder working outfit. He is very successful because of good gear, good local relationships, and good spotters working every day for you. Those snows are bunching and staging mid Sask after funneling down from the arctic nesting grounds. There are also canadas, cranes, and every imaginable duck as well.
He has a terrific cleaning set up, you set up a cleaning line and rip thru bunches of birds in a hurry. You need to. Plenty of deep freeze freezers and as said what you don’t take home helps out the local food banks.
As a reference the drive is 12 hours from the Minneapolis area.
Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Got geese? [Re: Law Dog] #7721634
11/19/22 12:12 PM
11/19/22 12:12 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline OP
trapper
Law Dog  Offline OP
trapper

Central, SD
Flu is killing them now I can see a dozen sick or dead snows/blues and 50+ that stayed back today when the main flights went out it’s going to be a mess again. I lost 12 of my chickens in 3 days waiting for the test to come back to tell me what I already know.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Got geese? [Re: Law Dog] #7721643
11/19/22 12:22 PM
11/19/22 12:22 PM
Montana
B
beartooth trapr Offline
trapper
beartooth trapr  Offline
trapper
B

Montana
cool

Let me sugar coat this
Re: Got geese? [Re: Wanna Be] #7721646
11/19/22 12:26 PM
11/19/22 12:26 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
I remember the first time I took my son to Arkansas and we saw what I was told was about ten thousand in a field. I stopped the truck and told him to run out there and catch one, lol. He jumped out and hadn’t gone 20yds when he stopped and turned around to look at me as they got up. His eyes were as wide as I’ve seen and he put his hands over his ears! He still talks about that day 15 years later, lol. He was all of 10 maybe.

WOW

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Got geese? [Re: Law Dog] #7721666
11/19/22 01:00 PM
11/19/22 01:00 PM
Western Shore Delaware
SJA Offline
trapper
SJA  Offline
trapper

Western Shore Delaware
I posted these pics before, but this thread reminded me of the chaos and noise about 50 yards outside my house. Can't get any sleep, can't hear the TV without turning it up high, and when they're through stomping and eating every blade of grass and wheat, they leave a barren mudhole! I hate 'em! mad

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"Humans are the hardest people to get along with."
Dr. Phillip Snow
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread