No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Dealing with crupt Conservation Officer #7723205
11/21/22 09:23 AM
11/21/22 09:23 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline OP
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline OP
trapper
P

Indiana
I have a cousin that's having issues with a very poor example of a conservation officer over the last few years.
My cousin has permission to hunt 40acres behind his house. 2 years ago he took his wife hunting and she shot a very nice buck. It ran across a road and a truck shot several shots at the deer from the road then quickly worked on leading it. Naturally the CO was called. The blood trail was obvious the hole in the deer came from the opposite side that the direction the guy in the truck was shooting from. Not even mentioning that shooting feonm a vehicle is illegal.
But the poacher is a big money land owner and the deer expired on his ground, the CO hunts his property AND rents a house from the guy. Let's just say it was a very sad day for the Indiana Conservation officers that day and left a very negative impact on a young woman trying to do the right think and tag her first buck.

Two formal complaints were dismissed.
Yesterday evening my cousin now geting divorced so only his 2nd time hunting shot a 180 + hit it hard and again when it stoped at the wood line. Blood out of this world but crossed the property line again.

He backed out to make some calls going to try to get a CO to help him recover his deer. Little did he know the same CO from before would come out to him getting in his face where he has permission to be and accuse him of trespassing, killing his deer he has been hunting since October, treating to take him to jail and being a basic antler crazed jack booted thug. He not only won't help him recover his deer but does not want him to and want it for himself. He said he would send him some pictures of it if he finds it.It's a very sad thing and will not be corrected becust the guy is connected. Formal complaints do no good .

It gives our very good Conservation officers a bad name but I'm sure they also know how he is or at least have herd rumors of it by now so at best are complicit. It's hard to teach my kids respect for them when they hear about this type of behavior from a cousin they really look up to.

Just thought I would share some examples and experience on why I don't always jump on the back the blue band wagon and prefere to keep them art arms length. And why many people distrust them. It only takes a few bad ones to run the batch.

Last edited by Providence Farm; 11/21/22 09:31 AM.
Re: Dealing with crupt Conservation Officer [Re: Providence Farm] #7723210
11/21/22 09:33 AM
11/21/22 09:33 AM
MD
D
DaveP Offline
trapper
DaveP  Offline
trapper
D

MD
I know some fantastic ones and some that are scum.
Just like the general population.

Re: Dealing with crupt Conservation Officer [Re: Providence Farm] #7723212
11/21/22 09:34 AM
11/21/22 09:34 AM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

You become part of the problem by grouping "them" all together.

Does one "bad" egg make the entire dozen bad?

Come on! Teach you kids and yourself how to single out the good from the bad.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Dealing with crupt Conservation Officer [Re: Providence Farm] #7723216
11/21/22 09:35 AM
11/21/22 09:35 AM
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.
You call the landowner, then the Sheriff if that happens, not the Gamewarden. If you have problems with a CO, You call his boss, then his bosses boss. Works , Trust me.

Re: Dealing with crupt Conservation Officer [Re: Providence Farm] #7723227
11/21/22 09:46 AM
11/21/22 09:46 AM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
Cousin should of filmed it the second time.

Re: Dealing with crupt Conservation Officer [Re: Providence Farm] #7723228
11/21/22 09:47 AM
11/21/22 09:47 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
A lot could be said here ...

Throwing out all the He said she said stuff; if they would practice and learn deer anatomy- and ONLY limit themselves to shots like upper leg Scapula (and a couple others) the Deer would Fold up like a dove.

Range time and anatomy lessons would
Seem to be a couple ways they could avoid many issues.

Also take the complaints higher in chain of command. Almost everyone has a Boss.

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Dealing with crupt Conservation Officer [Re: Providence Farm] #7723230
11/21/22 09:50 AM
11/21/22 09:50 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Does Indiana have retrieval rights of wounded game is my question if ends up on private property? Here unarmed retrieval applies to small game but not to big game.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Dealing with crupt Conservation Officer [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7723233
11/21/22 09:53 AM
11/21/22 09:53 AM
Indiana
P
trapper
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
You become part of the problem by grouping "them" all together.

Does one "bad" egg make the entire dozen bad?

Come on! Teach you kids and yourself how to single out the good from the bad.

I'm sorry you got that from my post. I thought it was Cristal clear this turd leaves a much larger stain on the hard working honest salt of the earth CO'S.

But they don't police their own. Just because someone is law enforcement they don't get a free pass they get heald to higher standards.

The officer is also from a politically connected family in the county. Short of video of the events nothing will happen and there is none of that. And if there was it would likely go nowhere.

Have you ever been at a point in your life when your so low your hanging by a thread? Like say maybe getting divorced and you have very little keeping you sane. That jack boot has no idea how close he came to being a 15 min hero. On the news..

A true piece of scum stomping on someone doing everything right and legal becuse he is jealous a deer he wanted to kill was killed by someone else.

I'm going to see if my cousin wants me to take the boys down and have them tag out on that county. I will get video.

Re: Dealing with crupt Conservation Officer [Re: Law Dog] #7723237
11/21/22 09:57 AM
11/21/22 09:57 AM
Indiana
P
trapper
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by Law Dog
Does Indiana have retrieval rights of wounded game is my question if ends up on private property? Here unarmed retrieval applies to small game but not to big game.

Must have land owner permission

Re: Dealing with crupt Conservation Officer [Re: Providence Farm] #7723240
11/21/22 10:01 AM
11/21/22 10:01 AM
SE SD
D
DWC Offline
trapper
DWC  Offline
trapper
D

SE SD
Well your cousin could blast the dude and the organization on Facebook. I mean posting on their pages, not just his own. Seems like that’s how people fight nowadays.

Re: Dealing with crupt Conservation Officer [Re: Providence Farm] #7723244
11/21/22 10:03 AM
11/21/22 10:03 AM
Pa
W
Wright Brothers Offline
trapper
Wright Brothers  Offline
trapper
W

Pa
Sick the divorce lawyer on him, they like big bucks.

Re: Dealing with crupt Conservation Officer [Re: Providence Farm] #7723250
11/21/22 10:12 AM
11/21/22 10:12 AM
Wabash, IN USA
Flipper 56 Offline
trapper
Flipper 56  Offline
trapper

Wabash, IN USA
Does he hunt close to the property line? I have seen deer with a lethal hit go 80 to 100 yards, smart play is to back off the property line so this doesn't happen. I put my farm in wildlife habitat and have had people sit right behind my house on the line. I just go tell them to back off because if they shoot one and it runs into my cover they aren't going after it. If I let them, my place would be surrounded and I have also had people shoot across the line.

"Where Can A Man Find Bear Beaver And Other Critters Worth Cash Money When Skinned?"

Re: Dealing with crupt Conservation Officer [Re: DWC] #7723252
11/21/22 10:14 AM
11/21/22 10:14 AM
Indiana
P
trapper
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by DWC
Well your cousin could blast the dude and the organization on Facebook. I mean posting on their pages, not just his own. Seems like that’s how people fight nowadays.

We're not much on social media. I thought about calling the head dnr office in the capital but without any proof we are just hear say at best.

Re: Dealing with crupt Conservation Officer [Re: Providence Farm] #7723258
11/21/22 10:23 AM
11/21/22 10:23 AM
2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
Blaine County Offline
trapper
Blaine County  Offline
trapper

2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
Some of the worst poachers I have known were game wardens or their kids. However, that was the exception not the rule.

Like mentioned above, sounds like some range time and anatomy lessons are in order.

Re: Dealing with crupt Conservation Officer [Re: Providence Farm] #7723263
11/21/22 10:33 AM
11/21/22 10:33 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Originally Posted by Law Dog

Must have land owner permission

So is that the issue here or am I missing something not enforcing the road hunting should be addressed but go outside the area or you will get no place fast. If there is no retrieval and the deer is on private ground I don’t see a case about that, landowner rights.

The right thing and the law don’t go hand in hand every time and is abused by some because they can.

Last edited by Law Dog; 11/21/22 10:37 AM.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Dealing with crupt Conservation Officer [Re: Blaine County] #7723266
11/21/22 10:35 AM
11/21/22 10:35 AM
central Haudenosaunee, the De...
W
white marlin Offline
trapper
white marlin  Offline
trapper
W

central Haudenosaunee, the De...
Originally Posted by Blaine County
Like mentioned above, sounds like some range time and anatomy lessons are in order.

careful, BC...your post might get deleted, too!

Re: Dealing with crupt Conservation Officer [Re: Providence Farm] #7723269
11/21/22 10:38 AM
11/21/22 10:38 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Not wanting to ruffle feathers, but after the first instance he should’ve known better.

We used to hunt 12ac that was in the shape of a pencil. At the widest point in was 150yds wide.
First thing we did was talk to both landowners on either side of us. One didn’t have an issue, just retrieve it if we saw it fall. The other wanted to be called immediately and wait until he showed up.
Next thing was teach my boys where to shoot and drop a deer on the spot…high shoulder and neck.
In 4 years of hunting that land, we had one deer that made it all of 50yds on the side we could retrieve on. I still called the landowner and informed him incase he saw me on a camera.
I even shot 4 deer with a bow out of the stand that was dead center of the widest point.

Re: Dealing with crupt Conservation Officer [Re: Providence Farm] #7723276
11/21/22 10:52 AM
11/21/22 10:52 AM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

He should ask for the officer's body cam video. (Disregard this as I just went back and read where there is no officer video)

Any future encounters he should video the officer himself with his phone.

Last edited by Swamp Wolf; 11/21/22 10:54 AM.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Dealing with crupt Conservation Officer [Re: Wanna Be] #7723278
11/21/22 10:55 AM
11/21/22 10:55 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Not wanting to ruffle feathers, but after the first instance he should’ve known better.

We used to hunt 12ac that was in the shape of a pencil. At the widest point in was 150yds wide.
First thing we did was talk to both landowners on either side of us. One didn’t have an issue, just retrieve it if we saw it fall. The other wanted to be called immediately and wait until he showed up.
Next thing was teach my boys where to shoot and drop a deer on the spot…high shoulder and neck.
In 4 years of hunting that land, we had one deer that made it all of 50yds on the side we could retrieve on. I still called the landowner and informed him incase he saw me on a camera.
I even shot 4 deer with a bow out of the stand that was dead center of the widest point.

Amen to That...

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Dealing with crupt Conservation Officer [Re: Providence Farm] #7723281
11/21/22 11:02 AM
11/21/22 11:02 AM
PA
W
w side rd 151 Offline
trapper
w side rd 151  Offline
trapper
W

PA
I know quite a few people that I consider to be very good friends that are employed by my states Conservation & Law Enforcement Division They do their job well and they are true professionals . And they are an asset to their employer and all that live in that state I value their friendship very much .From time to time I hear of some of the incidents that are part of them doing their jobs .If any of us had to deal with some of the fools they encounter on a regular basis We. would likely get upset and perhaps have a bad day also .I must also say that some of my meetings with the officers that did not go about doing their job in the same professional manner as the others I mentioned before can be some real arrogant jerks Some are on a power trip .Others get some satisfaction in how many fines they hand out . And in some cases those people that are enforcing the law are using their position to be law breaker themselves When that happens everyone loses Most often even though it is extremely rare they are the ones that we see as a part of human anatomy. that is vital to our every day existence but it still smells bad at times If you are certain you are in the right than go to the next man up his supervisor and file a complaint Have proof and most of all be professional .Yelling and name calling works against you And take an honest look a what is happening and look for ways to avoid those situations ..

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread