No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Testing Barometer Theory On Coon #7724355
11/22/22 06:04 PM
11/22/22 06:04 PM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline OP
trapper
Actor  Offline OP
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
When I got up this morning, I looked at the weather forecast and saw that the barometer reading was somewhat like I was saying in my other post, as far as being steady or basically constant. I never expect it be a perfectly straight line, but it not jumping up down. Even though I didn't feel up to trudging through the woods and stream, I put on my Big Boy Pants and went out and made some sets at another golf course I have been trapping for years. Here to start is a copy of the weather forecast and you can see the pressure reading.

[Linked Image]

I decided while I was playing silly test games, I would see which worked best, live traps or Dog Proof. Earlier in the summer you may remember I did a nuisance job with red fox tearing up the greens. At which time I got 2 young fox and that stopped the problem. I also found the den, which lead me to the place I set the traps today. At the time of the fox job, I caught 2 small coon. I thought this would be a good spot. I set the one live trap w/o a DP withing a few feet of where I had caught the fox and young coon. The is nothing in the location that stands out, just the area.

[Linked Image]

The first 2 sets, combination sets, live trap with a DP close by, I found when scouting for the fox den earlier. It is approximately 50 yards from the fox den. At the time there were multiple sets of coon track going through a culvert running under the highway.

[Linked Image]

The live trap is apparent in the photo. To the right of it is 2 logs lying on the ground. The DP is between the logs and located between the 2 sticks that are crossing the closest log to you.

About 35 feet to right of that set, up the little gully, are the other live trap and DP traps. If you look close, you can make out the DP just this side of the horizonal log. The log is lying right at the edge of the gully.

[Linked Image]

So... the scene is set, and the traps are set, we will find out if there are any coon working tonight. Probably get a truck load of grinners.

Tight Chains My Friends...

Garry-

“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

Have been trapping 77 years…
Re: Testing Barometer Theory On Coon [Re: Actor] #7725044
11/23/22 01:33 PM
11/23/22 01:33 PM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline OP
trapper
Actor  Offline OP
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
Well... I didn't prove a thing yet... finally talked a friend in going for a ride-a-long this morning, to check my coon traps. It was disappointing and embarrassing to me. He said even not catching anything... he enjoyed it.

Garry-

“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

Re: Testing Barometer Theory On Coon [Re: Actor] #7725327
11/23/22 08:17 PM
11/23/22 08:17 PM
Oakland, MS
Drifter Offline
trapper
Drifter  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
That dang Murphy guy struck again. So tomorrow when by yourself will have a big catch.

Some individuals use statistics as a drunk man uses lamp-posts — for support rather than for illumination.

Andrew Lang (1844-1912) Scottish poet, novelist and literary critic

Life member NTA , and GA Trappers assoc .
Re: Testing Barometer Theory On Coon [Re: Actor] #7725477
11/23/22 10:27 PM
11/23/22 10:27 PM
ND
M
MJM Offline
trapper
MJM  Offline
trapper
M

ND
I ran a test with 220 boxes and dog proofs and only once did I catch a coon in a dog poof set by a box. I did not keep track of how many I caught in the boxes. I baited them both with the same bait and had them just far enough apart a coon in the DP could not get in the box.

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: Testing Barometer Theory On Coon [Re: Actor] #7726285
11/24/22 08:51 PM
11/24/22 08:51 PM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline OP
trapper
Actor  Offline OP
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
Well, another night with no catch this morning. I haven't completely given up on the site, but beginning to wonder. There are two points of data that I didn't enter into my equation. One is the nighttime temperatures, which all have been below freezing and the biggest concern... there just aren't any coon there. For many years I would get 10 to 17 coon from that golf course. Two years ago, I only got five, and last year only got three. That is like the new trapper that has a goal of catching 100 otter from a small area. You can want what you want, but if they aren't there you can't catch them.

I did a little more scouting around for muskrats today. I checked out the head water pond. I tried to check it 3 days ago, but the sky was really dark, and it was quite windy. There appeared to be some activity, but really couldn't tell. So today the sun was shining and there was no wind. Sure enough, I found activity. A couple days ago, when it was windy, I thought it appeared that in the center of the pond there was digging. The pond in quite weedy. The pond was really low last summer, so in many places the bank doesn't meet the water, with mudflats and weeds extending out 8 to 10 feet. This one place looks like they have been using a bulldozer. There was an old run and den in this location for many years. I am posting a couple of photos to show the extreme of the digging and undercutting the side of the run.

First Photo shows the width of pond. The sun was so bright it was casting reflections on the water. In the left, this side of the floating plants and algae, you can see the muddy bottom. That is the point where I saw all of the muddy water a couple of days ago. That area leads into the run and runs toward the shore. The second photo shows the run coming into the mudflats with the plants growing on it. The half-round area on the left of the run is undercut back about 8 to 10 inches and the deepest part of the run. I set a colony trap at that location. The edge of the floating vegetation this side of the run goes about 8 feet out from the bank.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

About 40 or 50 feet down the bank I found 2 more runs that come together to the bank. I wadded out to the one run set a #110. At this place I sunk down about 6 to 8 inches in the muck. Last week I twisted my foot when I was going downstairs. I was painful but had been getting better. My snug ankle fitting boots kept it tight, and I could walk without pain while wearing them. Well, while wrenching my foot back and forth, getting my foot unstuck from the mud, I really got it to hurting again. BUT... I still set the second #110 at the bank hole, which was filled with cut roost and grass.

I was going to take a photo of those runs and cuttings, but by the time I was able to get back up the bank, my foot was really hurting with each and every step.

I am hoping tomorrow will bring at least a rat and maybe a coon... heck I would even settle for a Grinner.

Tight chains my friends.

Garry-

Re: Testing Barometer Theory On Coon [Re: Actor] #7726327
11/24/22 09:33 PM
11/24/22 09:33 PM
Louisiana
M
MattLA Offline
trapper
MattLA  Offline
trapper
M

Louisiana
Garry,

Thanks for sharing these, I have a theory that is pressure related as well. If the pressure is low for however many days, whatever scent is left at the trap site wont get "blown" with the wind. To me it means even if a raccoon is going by the trap, low pressure may mean whatever lure or bait you are using might not make it to his nose. Just a theory. What traps do you like to use? Any specific brands?

Re: Testing Barometer Theory On Coon [Re: Actor] #7726354
11/24/22 10:20 PM
11/24/22 10:20 PM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline OP
trapper
Actor  Offline OP
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
Matt, Thanks for the feedback... your theory definitely deserves some thought and consideration.

Brands of trap have never really entered my trapping. I use live traps for coon a lot. I don't like Have-a-heart style traps in case you get a skunk in them. I used to have a bunch of old wooden drop door traps that I used for years. They were very heavy and hard to move around but were very good and caught hundreds of coon in them. I like the type that has the door that is horizonal and when drops has the 2 rings that secure them. If you get skunk roll it over with your foot and the door opens and the skunk walks out. I had a couple of have-a-heart type that are a little larger than the standard trap and had a young fellow that makes the double ring traps... make me doors and frames with the rings and I put them on the traps I had.

For DP traps I use both push-pull or just pull traps... not particular about brand. If I have a trap I like or dislike, I try and change to the way I like them. For example, # 2 coil spring traps. I like the square jaws to go from the inside of the frame to the outside. I believe it was Victor that came out with the square jaws from the outside of the frame to the inside. These jaws can pop out of the frame easier, and you are taking a chance of a coyote or cat popping the jaws out. So, when I got an opportunity to buy a few of the outside in jawed traps cheaply, I popped the jaws out and bought new round #2 jaws and they fit just right.

I am sure that some are better than others, but sometimes for the difference of the cost, it just isn't worth it, to me.

Thank you for the good words.

Garry-

Re: Testing Barometer Theory On Coon [Re: Actor] #7726705
11/25/22 02:08 PM
11/25/22 02:08 PM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline OP
trapper
Actor  Offline OP
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
EUREAKA!!! When studying the charts,,, I surmised if I was going to catch anything it would be last night, and I finally did. The two factors I hadn't considered was the air temperature and the slight downward trend of the barometer. After a week of temperatures at freezing or below, last night was forecast to be 39 degrees and it was 42 degrees when I got up at 6:30 this morning.

I was at the course at about 8:00 AM, and decided to check the rat traps I had set yesterday. Thank God I had a cart to ride, my foot that I twisted and aggravated yesterday is really smarting today. I taped it up but didn't help much. We had rain during the night. Although they called for very little the pond was up about 4 inches. The big run I showed in photo yesterday, it appeared the rat(s) had swam over top of it and dug quite a bit neared the bank and had eluded my traps. I went to the second set of traps, where I talked about all of the cutting being stored. There was a good-sized male rat in a #110.

This pond is infamous, to me, for holding only one large rogue male rat. I am hoping there are more than the one I caught today but won't be surprised if it is the only one in there. I have told in the past about being optimistic about the number of rats in a pond, from apparent active dens, feed beds and other sign. This rat weighed in at 2.5 lbs. I also found sign of a rat having used, last night, another old den, that hadn't looked to be active before. I went ahead and dropped a #110 at this site. (Just in case)

Here is the rat hanging to dry before skinning.

[Linked Image]

Going to my coon sets at the other end of course... I added some bait to the first live trap and moved it about 25 feet and put some call lure on a couple trees nearby.

At the second set of traps with a DP and live trap, I freshened up the bait and also put a little call lure out.

At the last set of DP and live trap, I could see from a distance there was nothing in the live trap. As I got closer, I could see the ground was all tore up and I couldn't see the trap. This was the set where I placed the DP between the 2 logs. I followed the length of the log where my cable extension was wrapped around it and saw a pile of fur dug in under the log. When I walked around the log the pile of fur came charging out, snarling growling at me. Most times coon run from you, but this dude wanted a piece of me. He was soon dispatched.

Now, when I say "Tight Chains to You", this is what I mean.

[Linked Image]

This coon weighed in at 18 lbs. 2 oz. Which is a good-sized coon for this part of the country. I have him hanging in photo below, drying and dripping. He has about a heavy a coat as I have seen a coon have around here for some time. You can tell by looking at the tail how well furred out it is. The only thing I wonder about is the black guard hair isn't long like it normally is. I am anxiously waiting to see how much fat this coon has.

[Linked Image]

Well tomorrow is another day, but tonight is another below freezing night at 29 degrees. The coon may be holing up and pond will be making ice.

Tight Chains My Friends.

Garry-

Re: Testing Barometer Theory On Coon [Re: Actor] #7726877
11/25/22 07:01 PM
11/25/22 07:01 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
Great stuff Garry!!

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: Testing Barometer Theory On Coon [Re: Actor] #7726911
11/25/22 08:14 PM
11/25/22 08:14 PM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline OP
trapper
Actor  Offline OP
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
Thank You Catch22... while I am on here, I got my critters "skun" (as my granddad used to say), and the coon was a female, and did not have much fat on her for this time of the year.

Here she is hanging and was 44 inches long.

[Linked Image]

Don't feel very good this evening thinking about turning in for the night.

Garry-

Re: Testing Barometer Theory On Coon [Re: Actor] #7726913
11/25/22 08:17 PM
11/25/22 08:17 PM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline
trapper
Yukon John  Offline
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
Like!

Act like a blank, get treated like a blank. Insert your own blank!
Re: Testing Barometer Theory On Coon [Re: Actor] #7727763
11/26/22 10:20 PM
11/26/22 10:20 PM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline OP
trapper
Actor  Offline OP
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
Another day limping around the line. Yes, foot is hurting like crazy, but can't ignore my responsibility in checking my traps. As I mentioned last time... when I caught the last muskrat, I saw what I thought was an old den that might have been used once the night before and I placed a #110 over the hole, just in case. Well, my observation was correct... I had another rat in that #110 this morning. I must have caught him coming out of the, because was no other digging anywhere is the pond. This rat turned out to be another pretty good-sized male. I pulled all of the traps at the pond. I am sure there are no more rats in it.

At the area where the coon traps are set, the first one was still unbothered. So, I pulled it. At the area where I have 2 DP and 2 live traps. I had a medium sized grinner. I dispatched him, refreshed the bait in all 4 traps. I believe tomorrow will be the last day for these traps.

I stopped by a large pond that used to produce quite a few rats each but hasn't the last couple of years. There is usually a flock of geese (50 to 60), on that pond, but they weren't there this morning. I hope they headed south. It is hard to tell if there are rats in a pond that has geese, because they keep it muddy, and pull roots and grasses and scatter them all over the place. I drove by in the cart and stopped a couple times and went down over the bank and checked and found what I believe to be 3 rat dens I set 1 colony trap and 2 #110s. We will see if my intuition is correct.

I know some are thinking... what did I see that made me think there might be rats there, with all of the activity from the geese. Good question... The thing that stood out the most was, 2 faint trails through the weeds and clutter, that ran straight to the bank. Could geese have made them? Possibly, but in the water were very small snippets of grass and roots, which says Muskrat, to me. Another thing that caught my attention at the location where I set the colony trap, a few inches up the grassy bank was 3 clumps of grass. When I went down to look at it, I lifted one clump up far enough to see that there was a hole in the in the ground. Not to disturb the plug, I got into the water and stuck my foot up into what is potentially a den. I also observed a very faint trail though the grass and weeds, from the open water straight to this spot.

I encourage you youngsters, that is anyone under 50, to look for the subtle difference in the habitat. This will lead you to your prey many times.

Here is my magnanimous catch for today. Now I know this will give some a chuckle and that is okay. It is not how many critters you take, if the taker (trapper) is happy and or pleased with what he has got. I am happy that with this worn-out body, racked with aches and pains is still able to do it. Believe me there were times today that I was questioning my sanity.

[Linked Image]

So as we move on towards tomorrow... Tight Chains My Friends.

Garry-

Re: Testing Barometer Theory On Coon [Re: Actor] #7727792
11/26/22 10:57 PM
11/26/22 10:57 PM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline
trapper
Yukon John  Offline
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
Trapping isn't necessarily about everyone else's intentions, but your own! Great catches!

Act like a blank, get treated like a blank. Insert your own blank!
Re: Testing Barometer Theory On Coon [Re: Actor] #7728240
11/27/22 01:31 PM
11/27/22 01:31 PM
J
jvanhall Offline
trapper
jvanhall  Offline
trapper
J

What weather app is that. Looks very interesting and lots of useful info!!

Re: Testing Barometer Theory On Coon [Re: jvanhall] #7728497
11/27/22 07:32 PM
11/27/22 07:32 PM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline OP
trapper
Actor  Offline OP
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
Originally Posted by jvanhall
What weather app is that. Looks very interesting and lots of useful info!!

Hi jvanhall, The site is as follows: https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/oh/heath/KOHHEATH15 Now you will have to set it to your location. I believe, you go to the top of the screen, second line down begins with a shaded star... click on the star... you should see my listed town and below that states to, TO CLEAR that should clear out my listing... below that is a place to have it chose you location... if things works correctly you should see a town or location near you. At the top of screen there is a black bar with all sort of things listed I use the MAPS and RADAR screen a lot. It loads to the use Map and has a Play Animation button below it that shows live action of what ever is going on... you can also click on your state and it will be a closer view, also with and animation button. What I use and you see posted, is the TEN DAY MAP... there are also other function you will see listed. When you go to the Map and Radar page you will also see listed WUNDERMAP. This is a map like Googlle Earth, where you can zoom right into your house, street or whatever. It is withing 3 to 5 mins behind actual time. It is good to have. You can zoom in or zoom out and see more of the state or country.
I hope that helps you.
=====================================

Well today was another day on my minnie line. I told you yesterday about finding what I thought was at least one and maybe more muskrat dens and what to look for. Today, I am happy to say that my due diligence and being mindful of the little details paid off. I got 1 rat in the colony trap I set. Below is a photo of the wads of grass I talked about. Now if you are a seasoned muskrat trapper, I am sure you know exactly what I was referring to. If you are a novice, you might not understand. Here is a close-up of the wads of grass. Observe that carefully, because there is something added to the photo as I was talking about yesterday.

[Linked Image]
If you see what I talking about, shout it out...

Here is the placement of the trap in relationship to den opening under water.
[Linked Image]

I could barely see the animal in the trap, because the water was so milky from all of the rain we had last night. At first, I thought it might be something other than a muskrat.

But when I pulled it up...

[Linked Image]
It was a muskrat.

I pulled all of my traps from this location, but think I may have left one.

I took 3 live traps and 2 DP traps to friend's house this afternoon and set them up for coon... Tonight, is supposed to be above freezing again tonight so, might get a coon or grinner in the morning. Only time will tell.

Let me hear what you think about the pile of grass wads.

Tight Chains My Friends.

Garry-

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread