No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Mean hunting dog stores. #7728413
11/27/22 05:47 PM
11/27/22 05:47 PM
Ar
G
gregh Offline OP
trapper
gregh  Offline OP
trapper
G

Ar
Wanna Be, post about coon dog trials got me to remembering some stories my Grand pa told me about his bobcat dogs. He loved to cat hunt and always had 20 or more cat dogs in the pen. Most were not very good but there was always a few real good dogs in the pen. He had 2 he was very proud of named Mike and on named Useless.I do not remember which of the 2 dogs it was but He had the dogs out hunting one night and they ran a cat into a 12 inch culvert that run under the road the culvert was plugged by debris on the other end.. Which ever dog it was went into the culvert with the cat and killed the cat, during the fight the cat and dog swapped ends inside the culvert and the dog wound up pushing the dead cat out of the culvert with his nose. To me that was one mean dog. Please share you mean hunting dog stories.

Re: Mean hunting dog stores. [Re: gregh] #7728416
11/27/22 05:51 PM
11/27/22 05:51 PM
MN
160user Offline
trapper
160user  Offline
trapper

MN
I have heard stories about Dead Coyote Jr. doing that barehanded with a coyote in a culvert and many coon in a hayloft. That boy is TOUGH.

I have nothing clever to put here.

Re: Mean hunting dog stores. [Re: gregh] #7728419
11/27/22 05:54 PM
11/27/22 05:54 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I had an english bluetick hound that lost an eye in a culvert with a coon. still killed that coon and drug it out

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Mean hunting dog stores. [Re: gregh] #7728430
11/27/22 06:12 PM
11/27/22 06:12 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
It takes a special hound to push and corner a cat.

[Linked Image]
Re: Mean hunting dog stores. [Re: gregh] #7728517
11/27/22 07:50 PM
11/27/22 07:50 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

Back in the day I'd hear gius say their dog was so mean they could sick him on a badger but after I had seen my first dog vs badger aftermath I decided if you have even the first ounce of love for your dog you'd never sick him on a badger

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Mean hunting dog stores. [Re: gregh] #7728539
11/27/22 08:08 PM
11/27/22 08:08 PM
Ar
G
gregh Offline OP
trapper
gregh  Offline OP
trapper
G

Ar
I can only imagine how bad a badger would be. They look mean. I have kept cats in cages before and the old big toms would slap at you for just walking by the cage.

Re: Mean hunting dog stores. [Re: gregh] #7728543
11/27/22 08:11 PM
11/27/22 08:11 PM
SD
T
Turd Furgeson Offline
trapper
Turd Furgeson  Offline
trapper
T

SD
One day this spring right before lambing was fixing to start the plane caught a glimpse of a coyote dive into a hole in some badland breaks just outside of the sheep. I grabbed my denning pack and released the dogs who instantly hit the hole the coyote went into. These gumbo badlands have little tunnel systems in them which makes it hard to seal off to gas the coyotes. Well the coyote and dogs were 20+ feet back in there raising heck when the coyote bailed out a little chimney and ran 200 yds to another cave system. The dogs caught up and their second underground battle began. I crawled as far as I could into this one but still couldn’t reach them, after about 20 mins they got the coyote out of this cave and chased it to a different cave 400 yds away. This time I was able to crawl and dig back far enough to get in front of the dogs and finish the coyote off. Whole ordeal took 3 hours and we were all in need of some water. Some pretty intense sounds when you put a terrier a hound and a big male coyote in a hole together. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

In my opinion badgers aren’t really bad fights, I’d rather them get into a badger scrap than a big coon any day.

Re: Mean hunting dog stores. [Re: gregh] #7728561
11/27/22 08:29 PM
11/27/22 08:29 PM
ND
M
MJM Offline
trapper
MJM  Offline
trapper
M

ND
Don't let the pink shades fool you. He would yank hair out of a badger.
[Linked Image]

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: Mean hunting dog stores. [Re: gregh] #7728567
11/27/22 08:36 PM
11/27/22 08:36 PM
Coldspring Texas
Savell Offline
"Wilbur"
Savell  Offline
"Wilbur"

Coldspring Texas
... y’all hands might aught to get together and open up a mean dog store

Insert profound nonsense here
Re: Mean hunting dog stores. [Re: gregh] #7728574
11/27/22 08:40 PM
11/27/22 08:40 PM
McCurtain Co. Oklahoma
O
OKforester Offline
trapper
OKforester  Offline
trapper
O

McCurtain Co. Oklahoma
How about a mean coon story? I had a pair of coon dogs back in the 80’s that could really get the job done. One was a Smokey River bred bluetick female and the other was half redbone half walker female. This is back when fur prices were high, everyone coon hunted or trapped and coons were hard to come by. This pair of dogs complimented each other like no other pair of hounds I have ever hunted with. One night we struck a trail and they pushed that coon over several ridges really burning it up. I finally heard the bluetick locate and settle down to her fast chop tree bark, she was faster than her partner. In a bit I heard the chop of the other dog join in and it was some of the sweetest music I will ever hear. When I got to the tree, I shined up and saw the eyes and outline of a fairly large coon in the top of the tree. Instead of shooting him out I hit my coon squaller to see his reaction. Sure enough down the tree he came. Both dogs were watching my light beam trained on the coon descending the tree getting closer and closer to the dogs. The bluetick was reared up on the tree and was going crazy at the sight of the coon coming down toward her. When the coon got just above the dogs head I saw him reach out with his front paws, grab that bluetick by the the ears and ball up on her head. He put up a good fight for a bit but the two seasoned dogs knew how to handle a coon and the fight was soon over. Of all the coons I’ve killed with dogs this is one of the few that still stands out, just remembering how mean that ole coon was to come down that tree and jump on two dogs.

Re: Mean hunting dog stores. [Re: gregh] #7728613
11/27/22 09:07 PM
11/27/22 09:07 PM
Montana/Florida
G
Gene Dziza Offline
trapper
Gene Dziza  Offline
trapper
G

Montana/Florida
I’ve treed a lot of coons, bears, bobcats and some lions. I’ve had dogs stretch out porcupines. The worst scrap I’ve ever had was a male fisher at night. I shot for his eyes and assumed it was a coon. Holy cow that was a rodeo. He would grab a dogs face and go limp like a rag doll. Then he’d let go and grab another one. It took awhile to get him killed. Man, they’re fast. He was bouncing off trees and the fight went all over the place. I had a dog baying at an otter one night. The otter was crossing over land to get to another body of water. I’ve seen them do that several times. But thankfully, they didn’t tangle. The dog would have lost that one for sure.

Re: Mean hunting dog stores. [Re: gregh] #7728618
11/27/22 09:15 PM
11/27/22 09:15 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
When I was a kid on the farm,,the old man brought home a German Shepherd that some one had to get rid of because it was MEAN and bit everyone including the owners.I didn't realy care for that dog even though it never did bite me but I knew enough to keep away from it.I ws sitting on the front porch one day,,and saw the dog chase five or six of the ole mans geese around the back of the house.I was thinking GOOD the dog will kill a couple geese,,then when the ole man gets home he will shoot that dog.Next thing I heard was that dog Yippin like there was no tomorrow.I went out back,,and them geese had that dog on its back,,,biting the he-- out of him.And when they bit they would twist their beaks and it looked like it was hurting pretty good.Hahahaaaa,,,that dog had a milder temper on him after that,,,and always made a WIDE swath around them geese.MR. Tough guy gat his arse kicked by a gaggle of geese.Hahahaaaa Goes to show,,,ya never know.

Last edited by upstateNY; 11/27/22 09:16 PM.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: Mean hunting dog stores. [Re: Savell] #7728620
11/27/22 09:22 PM
11/27/22 09:22 PM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
Originally Posted by Savell
... y’all hands might aught to get together and open up a mean dog store

Old Mike Vick might partner up on that.

Re: Mean hunting dog stores. [Re: gregh] #7728629
11/27/22 09:37 PM
11/27/22 09:37 PM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
a buddy had a black lab that absolutely hated feral cats.
He would corner one and as cats will do they would arch the back hiss and spit and swing at the dog if he got too close.
The dog would back off just enough and stand there panting with his tongue hanging out looking like he wanted to play.
after a short while the cat would relax. when this happened the dog would jump in and grab the cat by the head.
its was claws and cat cries for a second, then you'd hear crunch crunch crunch as the dog crushed his skull.
Once the cat was dead he'd drop him and go looking for the next one.

one mean dog at least when it came to feral cats.

Re: Mean hunting dog stores. [Re: gregh] #7728639
11/27/22 09:45 PM
11/27/22 09:45 PM
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

UpstateNY, a goose or especially a gander on the fight is fairly formidable! I used to tease one my brother brought
home and that old gander made me pay for it dozens of times.

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread