No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
How to Live On Your Own? #7740376
12/10/22 09:57 PM
12/10/22 09:57 PM
Michigan
P
PFC Davis Offline OP
trapper
PFC Davis  Offline OP
trapper
P

Michigan
I have a question for all the people who aren't currently living with their parents(sorry kids) advice. Because I really want to move out of my parents house sooner rather than later because I don't know how much I can take with living with them. And I know there are some benefits to stay home but the sight of those benefits seems to be growing foggier almost by the day. So I was curious how were you able to get away from your parents and make it out on your own because I would really like to know
I'll give you the points that are keeping me here and why I haven't moved out yet:
1-I don't have to pay rent/utilities
2-My job doesn't pay the greatest(I'll just give you an pay range of in the teens)
3-I'm still planning on going back to college and it's kind of a way to save money(sorta)
4-the family dogs
Also I am 20 yrs old just so you know.

Thanks,

Sam

A good life tip:

And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
Matthew 7:3
Re: How to Live On Your Own? [Re: PFC Davis] #7740379
12/10/22 10:01 PM
12/10/22 10:01 PM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
Good luck.

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Re: How to Live On Your Own? [Re: PFC Davis] #7740383
12/10/22 10:06 PM
12/10/22 10:06 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Maybe you aint ready yet.
First thing is to get a good paying job.if that means going to trade school/college etc and,working part time,maybe its best for you to lean on your folks for a couple more years.
I am sure they will support you as long as you are moving forward with your life.

Or you could find a rich girlfriend(JK)

Last edited by Boco; 12/10/22 10:08 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: How to Live On Your Own? [Re: PFC Davis] #7740389
12/10/22 10:13 PM
12/10/22 10:13 PM
KY
L
learch Offline
trapper
learch  Offline
trapper
L

KY
Good advice from Boco. Make sure you are indeed college material. Don’t wast your time getting a degree if you don’t need it for whatever you plan to do in life. Don’t go into debt.

Re: How to Live On Your Own? [Re: PFC Davis] #7740392
12/10/22 10:17 PM
12/10/22 10:17 PM
MN South of Gotha
J
Jags Offline
trapper
Jags  Offline
trapper
J

MN South of Gotha
1 I don't have to pay rent and utilities.
Somebody has to. Why aren't you helping to pay them?
2 My job doesn't pay the greatest.
Find a better job.
3 I'm still planning on going back to college and it's kind of a way to save money.(sorta)
So when is that going to happen? Do you even have a plan?
4 The family dogs.
Maybe get your own dang dog. Take responsibility for it yourself.

Re: How to Live On Your Own? [Re: PFC Davis] #7740407
12/10/22 10:31 PM
12/10/22 10:31 PM
Southeast KY
K
K91773 Offline
trapper
K91773  Offline
trapper
K

Southeast KY
Did the military fall through, I thought you were going to enlist?

1. Get a decent job and start putting most of what you make back, cut out everything but the necessities this should allow you to put a significant amount back from each pay check, even if you are making 15 dollars an hour and not spending unnecessary money you should be able to save a fair amount each week since you have limited expenses. Just look at eating out for example if you eat a cheap McDonalds meal that is about 8 dollars if you do that 5 days a week that is 40 dollars which translates to 160 dollars a month. Take your lunch to work you can pack it way cheaper than you can get it out and it is better for you as well. The same thing with soft drinks, here they are 2.09 if you buy them at the gas station, you can buy a 6 pack for 3.28 at Kroger or 4 for 12 when they are on sale so if you drink them keep a cooler in the vehicle and the savings on bottled water is even more in that it is a dollar a bottle at the C-store and you can get a 40 pack from Kroger for 4.98. The little things that you don't think much about add up quickly.

2. What are your plans for college is it a useful degree or an unnecessary expense unless it is going to enable you to make a significant amount of money look at the trades instead. I talked to a fellow the was working on his masters degree and had a huge amount of student loans and when he was finished he would make between 35,000 and 40,000 a year that is not a good return on investment.

As far as the dogs go, I don't even have an answer for that, I know it is easy to get attached to dogs but letting dogs hamper your future life doesn't really sound like a good life plan.

Re: How to Live On Your Own? [Re: PFC Davis] #7740418
12/10/22 10:50 PM
12/10/22 10:50 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana

Your parents are not locking you down or kicking you out. They are in charge it's their house deal with it your not as grown up as you feel or think I promise.

By the time I was 20 I was a 2nd year Ironworker Apprentice living on my own with my girlfriend. Working full time and school 2 nights a week with hour drive each way. I always got buy and I'm now 42 and married to that girl and have 4 kids the oldest that is 20 now and living at home working part time and going to school for nursing.

If I had it to do over I would have stayed at home 5 years and saved 75% of my money. At that point I could have bee paid cash for my first house and had cash still in the bank and start investing. The amount of freedom you have when you don't have to pay a house or vehicle payment and only have taxes, utilities, insurance, and food can not be described. It will allow you to have many more options and save and invest even more money. You could realistically work your hind end off for 10 to 15 years with a lot of vertices and have enough invested to live off your interest if you were smart and didn't try to live like a rock star.

Wish that's what I would have done but I didn't listen to my dad and I don't think many youngsters will take that adviced.. so far my 20 year old daughter is though. She has 50k in investment and in the bank now. Yes I pay for her school and bought her truck a 98 st with new jasper rebuild and rebuilt transition.

She looked around for what jobs are in high demand and pay well. And picked one.

It does not sound like you have any plan at all. Get a solid plan. Going to school to go to school is the worst thing you can do.

Re: How to Live On Your Own? [Re: PFC Davis] #7740420
12/10/22 10:51 PM
12/10/22 10:51 PM
Louisiana
M
MattLA Offline
trapper
MattLA  Offline
trapper
M

Louisiana
Originally Posted by PVT Davis
I have a question for all the people who aren't currently living with their parents(sorry kids) advice. Because I really want to move out of my parents house sooner rather than later because I don't know how much I can take with living with them. And I know there are some benefits to stay home but the sight of those benefits seems to be growing foggier almost by the day. So I was curious how were you able to get away from your parents and make it out on your own because I would really like to know
I'll give you the points that are keeping me here and why I haven't moved out yet:
2-My job doesn't pay the greatest(I'll just give you an pay range of in the teens)
3-I'm still planning on going back to college and it's kind of a way to save money(sorta)
4-the family dogs

Thanks,

Sam

Sam,

My name is Matt, I'm 32, married with 3 kids and a dog and I get to hunt, trap and fish full time, my wife watches our kids too. I don't charge for trapping and never will. I want to be honest with you as somebody who set a goal and achieved it through hard work, dedication and definitely some luck. The reasons you listed for staying at your parents house in the bigger picture are extremely and very trivial. You are experiencing life as the majority of 20 years olds have experienced it, and millions before you have done it, millions after you will do it. There is nothing wrong with wanting to live on your own, but in life you need to use every opportunity to your advantage to get ahead and if your parents are allowing you to stay there with them, change your mentality and realize that you have a great opportunity in that. I am going to list the things that I recommend for all young adults, just remember I get to live how I want, be where I want and do what I want. I'm not bragging, I am fortunate and privileged to be where I'm at, but hard work, dedication and changing how I saw the world played a major role.

1.Life is a resource game, every day you are going to need a shelter, meat, vegetables, fruits if available and water. What are the tools that you can get now in the early stages that will last as long as possible and help you obtain those things as fast as possible? To me that means 1 rifle, shotgun and pistol, 75 years worth of bullets(Rifle and Shotgun first, Pistol (only like 5 years, you wont use as much )last, You can calculate this by seeing what your big game limit in your state is, and multiplying that by 2, by 75 and then adding some just for practice, same thing for shotgun). If you don't want to buy loaded ammunition, then buy 75 years worth of reloading supplies for those 3 guns. This means a few fishing rods, with 75 years worth of fishing hooks, line, lures if thats your thing. I would probably do like 5 knives of the same type, 3 hatchets, a few axes. Do you understand what I"m saying? Don't view the resource as money, view it as the tools you will need to get the actual things that you require to live and breathe everyday.

2. Think about what you want to do in life and what you want to accomplish. I know 100% that I wont ever regret not working a day longer in my life than I had to, but it was a very real fear that I would miss out on experiencing the great outdoors in all it's majestic beauty. I don't know what you want to do, but you need to think about what you really want to accomplish in the world. Do you want to change the world? Do you want upend an industry and be the face of it? Do you want to work a cubicle job where you are the guy that fixes the fax and printer machine when people don't know whats wrong? It's a serious question that should take you a good amount of time to come up with an answer.

3. Don't waste time doing things that you aren't passionate about and be realistic about if you will ever finish something. Human beings want to be known for something and we get real excited about physical items or specialties, but we forget that life is not unlimited and end up chasing those rabbit holes only to abandon them later. This does not apply to doing good things for other people because you are enriched and want to help other people feel the same. This just means, do what you love in life and don't let the white noise slow you down or distract you from the long game.

4. Be ethical in every move that you make, it will help you understand how important some things in the world are. Don't waste the animal that you trapped by not eating it or at least using the meat for bait, the guts for lure, the pelt for clothing or to sell. Don't just get the normal cuts of meat from the deer you killed, use a sawz all on the bones, and boil them to make deer broth and then use the bones for your eye candy for set making. If you did good one year at work and get some surplus cash, go buy some toys for kids you know aren't in good home situations, go buy some food for those families, etc. View every opportunity as the last chance you'll have to do something and it will make you a better person.

5. Never compromise your morals, values or your faith for money, women or physical items. Who are you as a person and what you believe in are far more important than changing yourself for those things.

Goodluck to you, go give your parents a hug and kiss and tell them how much you love them for having you and raising you. Tell them that you'll love them no matter what and that you were sorry for being a bone head.

Re: How to Live On Your Own? [Re: PFC Davis] #7740430
12/10/22 10:58 PM
12/10/22 10:58 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Ok, where to start. First I’m going to assume you come from a good family just by the fact you’re 20 and still living at home.

Also gonna guess PVT in front of your name doesn’t have anything to do with the military.

I’ll just pretend you’re one of my boys…have 4.
You have two choices and if you’re asking the question of how, you’ve already eliminated one of them.
So, you have a (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) poor job, you think you know everything, and you want to live on your own because let’s face it, you know more than your parents and you want your own life.

Ok here’s what you do. You find the monthly price of an apartment, electricity, water, garbage, phone (landline/mobile), TV service, food, gas, insurance, and vehicle.
Now total all that up and then compare it to your monthly bring home pay. If you still have money left for toothpaste and deodorant, then go for it! But don’t expect to have a life. Don’t expect to hunt or trap (license cost). Don’t expect to do anything other than work and pay bills. Sounds like a sweet gig doesn’t it? Welcome to not listening and being a know it all.

Now on the other hand, keep that total of everything or dang close that it would cost to live on your own and set a goal that you’re going to save that total amount every month while sucking it up and living at home for the next three years (if your parents let you). After three years, take that money and buy a house of your own. During those three years, learn a trade. Or find a job with advancement. Two of my boys declined college and started at the bottom of their respective jobs. Guess what dedication and hard work does at a place of employment? Yep, you move up. One son started at the bottom and is now 3rd from top. The other also started at the bottom working in heat and cold and now has a comfy inside job. One is married with a daughter and owns his own house, the other took my advice and is in the process of buying.

Now don’t take what I’ve written as a put down, it’s not. You’re just young and dumb. You aren’t going through anything we all haven’t been through before.
I was 17 and moved out. Made enough to move in with my brother, split everything, and pay for my truck. There would be weeks I had enough money to buy a gallon of milk, 2 boxes of cereal, and 5 boxes of Mac-n-cheese. I was living life!! Couldn’t do crap, but I was LIVING, lol. After a couple of years of that I decided Uncle Sam might do me some good, so I enlisted. Learned quite a bit and here I am today living my best life.

Now that I think about it, you have the military as a third choice. There’s nothing that makes you a man quicker than a strict Uncle, lol.

Good luck.

Re: How to Live On Your Own? [Re: Providence Farm] #7740434
12/10/22 11:01 PM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
Originally Posted by Providence Farm

If I had it to do over I would have stayed at home 5 years and saved 75% of my money.

I stayed at my parents to long, yes I saved a ton of money but I lost ALL of it plus some in a divorce. Point being if your in a truly miserable situation don't stick it out to save a fee bucks, go figure out how to make more money.

Easiest way to move out is to find a job on the road with per diem. Traveling jobs pay well, are adventurous and allow you to leave without the expenses of buying or renting plus it leaves open future options to go to college etc.

Put your stuff in storage, take what you need and hit the road going to work.

Re: How to Live On Your Own? [Re: PFC Davis] #7740435
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

I don’t know how people do it now but I got married after graduation and just figured it out as things came up. lol

Last edited by HobbieTrapper; 12/10/22 11:02 PM.

-Goofy-
Re: How to Live On Your Own? [Re: PFC Davis] #7740440
12/10/22 11:07 PM
12/10/22 11:07 PM
Wy
G
Giant Sage Offline
trapper
Giant Sage  Offline
trapper
G

Wy
Where's you're sence of adventure? Just kidding!! Well maybe a little bit, I left home the day after high school graduation. Had no fear of not making it on my own, just be persistent in what you do. jobs are a dime a dozen just use common sense in your life decisions. Lol like we all did that at 20. I'm just saying take the bull by the horns but have a plan and don't leave home without thanking your parents for there love.

Re: How to Live On Your Own? [Re: PFC Davis] #7740442
12/10/22 11:08 PM
12/10/22 11:08 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Online sleepy
trapper
Wolfdog91  Online Sleepy
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Just some things to consider with so of the advice your gonna get bro. Remember the age of alot of folks on here. Take into consideration inflation and general cost of living for them compared to us. Not everything will be an apples to apple deal.

That being said I can't really give the best advice. My parents left me tor house when my grand mother died and they moved to her lace to care for the farm. That being said if you move out I'd suggest renting because honestly being a homeowner is great....till your like me and you need a 10000 new roof, new plunging , you start kng rots everywhere ... Great times bud I'll tell ya lol.
Now utilities arnt the worst really. First thing if suggest is really looking at what you need to be happy and tossing the rest. Me my light bill is like $75-96 a month. I have one TV I run my gaming consoles on. If I'm not in a room I turn the lights off. During the winter I run space heaters and basically hop scotch. My whole house doesn't need to be 80° my bed room my reloading room and one bathroom that's it. I don't really watch TV so I ditched that. No cable or Satellite. Just wifi and that $100 a month and honestly if I could get full 4g I would have ditched that and just gotten a hot spot with my phone. Food is easy. LEARN TO COOK seriously my food for the moth is usually less then $100. Easy to make a roast or something and eat in that for a week by yourself. Fast food will destroy you budget. Water bill.... Well where guys bro, short showers mines like $35 a month. Also if you can get an app to let you pay your bill on your phone DO IT !!! And screen shot every compiled payment.

I understand your job predicament bud an sits nothing tobe ashamed of but their too many places hiring right now to be stuck at the same place . Keep your eyes open resume updated and always be willing to go for something better. Till then while your at home stack your bank account. And if possible put some money somewhere you can't easily get it. My dad did that for me while I was deployed and I thought it was stupid but man it's been saving me back to back to back. It's really important you understand yourself so you know how to do things to keep you out of bad financial situations.

Bro stay home till collage and when you go get the cheapest dorm on campus. Will save you money and teach you a lot of life lessons.

Not sure about the dogs. You saying because you like em ? If so good !

Anyhow my best advice is act broke if you move out. Keeps you humble and bad peoel away.

Also don't take what SOME here have to say too harsh , some people just get irritated when any of use " coddled millennials" don't have to walk to school bare foot in a blizzard with only a sack of corn meal for lunch after tossing hay with Amish kids laugh

Also one more thing.

SELF EDUCATE ABOUT FINANCE!!! Seriously take a hour each day for week get on YouTube and educate yourself. ESPECIALLY ABOUT CREDIT!!! Get credit karma get at least a secured little $3-500 card though your bank and use it. Because trust me being our and and not having credit SUCKS!!!!

Re: How to Live On Your Own? [Re: PFC Davis] #7740445
12/10/22 11:12 PM
12/10/22 11:12 PM
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Probably some good insight in the post above. Back when, if you needed something repaired, your coworkers would come over and give you a hand with a little beer and bar-b-que. Now a days they got too many of their own problems for that.

-Goofy-
Re: How to Live On Your Own? [Re: MattLA] #7740446
12/10/22 11:13 PM
12/10/22 11:13 PM
Coldspring Texas
Savell Online crying
"Wilbur"
Savell  Online Crying
"Wilbur"

Coldspring Texas
Originally Posted by MattLA
Originally Posted by PVT Davis
4-the family dogs

Thanks,

Sam

Sam,

My name is Matt, I'm 32, married with 3 kids and a dog and I get to hunt, trap and fish full time, my wife watches our kids too. I don't charge for trapping and never will. I want to be honest with you as somebody who set a goal and achieved it through hard work, dedication and definitely some luck. The reasons you listed for staying at your parents house in the bigger picture are extremely and very trivial. You are experiencing life as the majority of 20 years olds have experienced it, and millions before you have done it, millions after you will do it. There is nothing wrong with wanting to live on your own, but in life you need to use every opportunity to your advantage to get ahead and if your parents are allowing you to stay there with them, change your mentality and realize that you have a great opportunity in that. I am going to list the things that I recommend for all young adults, just remember I get to live how I want, be where I want and do what I want. I'm not bragging, I am fortunate and privileged to be where I'm at, but hard work, dedication and changing how I saw the world played a major role.

1.Life is a resource game, every day you are going to need a shelter, meat, vegetables, fruits if available and water. What are the tools that you can get now in the early stages that will last as long as possible and help you obtain those things as fast as possible? To me that means 1 rifle, shotgun and pistol, 75 years worth of bullets(Rifle and Shotgun first, Pistol (only like 5 years, you wont use as much )last, You can calculate this by seeing what your big game limit in your state is, and multiplying that by 2, by 75 and then adding some just for practice, same thing for shotgun). If you don't want to buy loaded ammunition, then buy 75 years worth of reloading supplies for those 3 guns. This means a few fishing rods, with 75 years worth of fishing hooks, line, lures if thats your thing. I would probably do like 5 knives of the same type, 3 hatchets, a few axes. Do you understand what I"m saying? Don't view the resource as money, view it as the tools you will need to get the actual things that you require to live and breathe everyday.

2. Think about what you want to do in life and what you want to accomplish. I know 100% that I wont ever regret not working a day longer in my life than I had to, but it was a very real fear that I would miss out on experiencing the great outdoors in all it's majestic beauty. I don't know what you want to do, but you need to think about what you really want to accomplish in the world. Do you want to change the world? Do you want upend an industry and be the face of it? Do you want to work a cubicle job where you are the guy that fixes the fax and printer machine when people don't know whats wrong? It's a serious question that should take you a good amount of time to come up with an answer.

3. Don't waste time doing things that you aren't passionate about and be realistic about if you will ever finish something. Human beings want to be known for something and we get real excited about physical items or specialties, but we forget that life is not unlimited and end up chasing those rabbit holes only to abandon them later. This does not apply to doing good things for other people because you are enriched and want to help other people feel the same. This just means, do what you love in life and don't let the white noise slow you down or distract you from the long game.

4. Be ethical in every move that you make, it will help you understand how important some things in the world are. Don't waste the animal that you trapped by not eating it or at least using the meat for bait, the guts for lure, the pelt for clothing or to sell. Don't just get the normal cuts of meat from the deer you killed, use a sawz all on the bones, and boil them to make deer broth and then use the bones for your eye candy for set making. If you did good one year at work and get some surplus cash, go buy some toys for kids you know aren't in good home situations, go buy some food for those families, etc. View every opportunity as the last chance you'll have to do something and it will make you a better person.

5. Never compromise your morals, values or your faith for money, women or physical items. Who are you as a person and what you believe in are far more important than changing yourself for those things.

Goodluck to you, go give your parents a hug and kiss and tell them how much you love them for having you and raising you. Tell them that you'll love them no matter what and that you were sorry for being a bone head.

..I love this forum lol

Insert profound nonsense here
Re: How to Live On Your Own? [Re: PFC Davis] #7740447
12/10/22 11:14 PM
12/10/22 11:14 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Online sleepy
trapper
Wolfdog91  Online Sleepy
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Wait didn't you just get out of BCT this year ? If your done AIT and your at your unit do your BEST to get a deployment!! And use that money to jump start yourself

Re: How to Live On Your Own? [Re: PFC Davis] #7740457
12/10/22 11:28 PM
12/10/22 11:28 PM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Online content
trapper
trapdog1  Online Content
trapper
T

Iowa
Also, don't eat the yellow snow.

Re: How to Live On Your Own? [Re: trapdog1] #7740484
12/11/22 12:20 AM
12/11/22 12:20 AM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
Due to several family issues. I needed to move and earn my way at 14. I have done OK but it was not easy. I don't know with 6 more years of living, education etc. you can't do it. However there is a large difference between necessity and weighing options.

Bryce

Re: How to Live On Your Own? [Re: PFC Davis] #7740488
12/11/22 12:28 AM
12/11/22 12:28 AM
Pennsylvania
P
patrapperbuster Offline
trapper
patrapperbuster  Offline
trapper
P

Pennsylvania
I would forget about the college part & invest in a Trade or Trade School instead

TILL THAT DAY.....
Re: How to Live On Your Own? [Re: patrapperbuster] #7740491
12/11/22 12:35 AM
12/11/22 12:35 AM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Online sleepy
trapper
Wolfdog91  Online Sleepy
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by patrapperbuster
I would forget about the college part & invest in a Trade or Trade School instead

That's what I did . Small community college, took welding stayed on campus was like $3000 a semester for tuition room board and a week day meal pass. $6000 later I'm I'm paid off and sitting alot nicein life then alot of my friends who went for "more" most have at least $20000 in debt and are still working at places like I do
Nothing against them

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread