No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Maine Lobstermen #7749885
12/21/22 02:51 PM
12/21/22 02:51 PM
Louisiana
M
MattLA Offline OP
trapper
MattLA  Offline OP
trapper
M

Louisiana

Re: Maine Lobstermen [Re: MattLA] #7750023
12/21/22 05:24 PM
12/21/22 05:24 PM
ND
M
MJM Offline
trapper
MJM  Offline
trapper
M

ND
The only reason it can't be the fur market is, a lack of demand. People want lobsters. There is no demand for fur, so trying to hold a line is a joke. You have to have someone willing to step up to the line to hold it. I don't think you realize how dead the fur market is. Demanding more money will not spark it back to life. If they don't want it cheap, they won't want it for more money.

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: Maine Lobstermen [Re: MattLA] #7750196
12/21/22 08:34 PM
12/21/22 08:34 PM
Ohio
S
stinkypete Offline
trapper
stinkypete  Offline
trapper
S

Ohio
Correct MJM. Spot on

Re: Maine Lobstermen [Re: MattLA] #7750209
12/21/22 08:50 PM
12/21/22 08:50 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
I wish I could disagree with Mark, but I think that is where we are at. Unless something happens to change the market soon, even Beever Pealer's nutria farm might lose money.

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Maine Lobstermen [Re: MattLA] #7750239
12/21/22 09:12 PM
12/21/22 09:12 PM
Michigan
J
jebediah Offline
trapper
jebediah  Offline
trapper
J

Michigan
At this point trapping is more of a sport then a job maby. some day with the ever changing free market they'll find some use kinda like with castor but till then it's a dead industry.

the harder the trail is the better the story
Re: Maine Lobstermen [Re: MattLA] #7750255
12/21/22 09:31 PM
12/21/22 09:31 PM
wyoming southeast
D
danvee Offline
trapper
danvee  Offline
trapper
D

wyoming southeast
Well at least they are trying and concerned about the Right Whales and not just the Left.

Re: Maine Lobstermen [Re: MJM] #7750469
12/22/22 01:59 AM
12/22/22 01:59 AM
Louisiana
M
MattLA Offline OP
trapper
MattLA  Offline OP
trapper
M

Louisiana
Originally Posted by MJM
The only reason it can't be the fur market is, a lack of demand. People want lobsters. There is no demand for fur, so trying to hold a line is a joke. You have to have someone willing to step up to the line to hold it. I don't think you realize how dead the fur market is. Demanding more money will not spark it back to life. If they don't want it cheap, they won't want it for more money.

The fur market is anything but dead, we just have no clue how it works because the USA never invested into setting up the proper structure. $17 Million is what the Maine Lobstermen will get from taxpayer funds, because they took the time a long time ago to set things up right and protect themselves. To be honest it's truly a miracle that we have FHA, because then the Fur Market would be inaccessible for the time being. The government pays farmers to pour milk down the drain to stabilize the price of milk. Corn Farmers tricked the GOV to require ethanol in fuel. The list goes on and on. There is plenty we can do, but trappers have had this just backwards mentality drilled into them that you commit slave labor without being forced. It's simply a matter of knowing what you have and understanding the proper structure and avenue to go about selling it with protections for the trapper.

Re: Maine Lobstermen [Re: MattLA] #7750599
12/22/22 08:27 AM
12/22/22 08:27 AM
2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
Blaine County Offline
trapper
Blaine County  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted by MattLA

How long have you been trapping? You like to lecture very knowledgeable guys on this site who have been at it a long time. Let's hear your credentials.

How much fur did you sell over the last 5 years? 10 years? A lot of guys on this site supported families with their fur checks. Post your stats!

I don't trap for money. I trap my farms and for my neighbors. I do sell an about 20-25 coyotes, 5 cats, and a few beaver a year I previously sold about 25 coons a year. I am self taught (with every Mark June DVD and book, Tman, magazines, other books and the internet). I have trapped for 13 years--I think. If I had more time, I could take a lot more fur--but the real job prevents it. I sit back and listen when the real trappers talk.

Before you post again on trapping regulations, trapping politics, trapping methods or the fur market, convince us that we should listen. If you are inexperienced, mentally ill or a fraud, just own it.

Until then, comparing 2022 Maine lobstermen to 2022 trappers does not help your credibility.

Re: Maine Lobstermen [Re: MattLA] #7750624
12/22/22 08:48 AM
12/22/22 08:48 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
I really hate government subsidies for any business. When it happens that industry is selling its rights and freedoms and becoming more dependent on government. At some point the cost will be quite high.im not lobbying for the fur trade to get on welfare. Sorry just goes against my principles.

Re: Maine Lobstermen [Re: MattLA] #7750626
12/22/22 08:51 AM
12/22/22 08:51 AM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
Originally Posted by MattLA
Originally Posted by MJM

The fur market is anything but dead, we just have no clue how it works because the USA never invested into setting up the proper structure. $17 Million is what the Maine Lobstermen will get from taxpayer funds, because they took the time a long time ago to set things up right and protect themselves. To be honest it's truly a miracle that we have FHA, because then the Fur Market would be inaccessible for the time being. The government pays farmers to pour milk down the drain to stabilize the price of milk. Corn Farmers tricked the GOV to require ethanol in fuel. The list goes on and on. There is plenty we can do, but trappers have had this just backwards mentality drilled into them that you commit slave labor without being forced. It's simply a matter of knowing what you have and understanding the proper structure and avenue to go about selling it with protections for the trapper.

So what is your plan?

Re: Maine Lobstermen [Re: MattLA] #7750777
12/22/22 10:37 AM
12/22/22 10:37 AM
ND
M
MJM Offline
trapper
MJM  Offline
trapper
M

ND
If the fur market is not dead why would we need bailed out? I have seen fur sell when there was a market, I would guess before you were born. When you work in a fur room, that has $100,000 dollar days across the counter, you start to see what the fur market is. Maybe the Government should make it mandatory everyone wear fur all year round. You seem to have an answer for everything, even if you have no experience in it. If you think Government handouts is the answer, you are in left field thinking you are playing right.

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: Maine Lobstermen [Re: MattLA] #7750902
12/22/22 12:33 PM
12/22/22 12:33 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Matt not bashing you, but this was your first post and your own words…
[Linked Image]
You’ve since posted as though you’ve been doing this for more years than your age. You’ve learned a lot in less than a year.

And why would someone pay premium money for something they don’t want? I would imagine if fur was needed or wanted it would pay out as such.

Re: Maine Lobstermen [Re: MattLA] #7750917
12/22/22 12:48 PM
12/22/22 12:48 PM
Minnesota
Northernbeaver Offline
trapper
Northernbeaver  Offline
trapper

Minnesota
I'm a firm believer that Lousiana has the best lobsters in the world and there is nothing anyone can say to make me change my mind.

The official Trapping Across the World Discord server.

https://discord.gg/AsdrzB5XgE
Re: Maine Lobstermen [Re: Wanna Be] #7751075
12/22/22 03:51 PM
12/22/22 03:51 PM
Blaine County Offline
trapper
Blaine County  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Matt not bashing you, but this was your first post and your own words…
[Linked Image]
You’ve since posted as though you’ve been doing this for more years than your age. You’ve learned a lot in less than a year.

And why would someone pay premium money for something they don’t want? I would imagine if fur was needed or wanted it would pay out as such.

He sure has solved a lot of our problems in a year. Thanks for the archives work.

MattLA, pay attention and learn from the guys on Tman. In 10 years, offer opinions--but even then you are not an expert.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread