No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: California Cinnamon Teal Trip [Re: D.T.] #7752352
12/23/22 05:57 PM
12/23/22 05:57 PM
NC - Here there and everywhere
C
coondagger2 Offline OP
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline OP
"Brat"
C

Originally Posted by D.T.
I wish those suckers stuck around enough for me to take a shot at them. Nice birds

Curious how your inflatable kayaks held up. First trip? Had them a while? Looks like you gave them a good test

Those are actually a local guy’s that we used. Not mine personally. He has had them for years and years, they are extremely durable. He did a DIY hunt in Alaska to kill his king eider and harlequins. Those blue kayaks have been in Bristol Bay of the Bering Sea killing ducks

Gotta live up to the nickname...
Re: California Cinnamon Teal Trip [Re: coondagger2] #7752404
12/23/22 06:48 PM
12/23/22 06:48 PM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Over the years we’ve had hunters take a few in Saskatchewan, I’ve never had the good fortune to take one myself. Really pretty birds.

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: California Cinnamon Teal Trip [Re: coondagger2] #7753128
12/24/22 12:47 PM
12/24/22 12:47 PM
American In the Pyrenees; Fran...
S
swift4me Offline
trapper
swift4me  Offline
trapper
S

American In the Pyrenees; Fran...
They're a pretty easy duck to shoot in central CA in the late season when they are on their way back up. When I guided in NE California they would breed in the valley and float on the spring creek all day eating mayflies 40 feet from my boat, but they usually left before our opener in mid October.

They are a beautiful duck, but funny thing is that their bills are "almost" like those of a spoony when compared to a blue wing or a green wing.

I shot my first one in the late 70's as my last bird of the day right before closing time on the last day of the season. It was a great afternoon shoot with 6 drake pintails and the cinnamon.

Post a photo of the mount if you get the chance.

Pete

Re: California Cinnamon Teal Trip [Re: swift4me] #7753606
12/24/22 08:48 PM
12/24/22 08:48 PM
C
coondagger2 Offline OP
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline OP
"Brat"
C

Originally Posted by swift4me
Post a photo of the mount if you get the chance.

We are lucky enough to have a taxidermist in our part of the state that has won multiple world championships in waterfowl taxidermy. Here is a teal trio mount that he did. Going to try to kill a stud blue wing this year and get him to mount me a trio like this

[Linked Image]

Re: California Cinnamon Teal Trip [Re: coondagger2] #7753634
12/24/22 09:22 PM
12/24/22 09:22 PM
Interior Alaska
G
GUK Offline
trapper
GUK  Offline
trapper
G

Interior Alaska
Are you forgetting Pacific Eider? May as well get that in Alaska too.

GUK.....it's the sound they make when they hit the end of the cable
Re: California Cinnamon Teal Trip [Re: GUK] #7753663
12/24/22 09:59 PM
12/24/22 09:59 PM
C
coondagger2 Offline OP
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline OP
"Brat"
C

Originally Posted by GUK
Are you forgetting Pacific Eider? May as well get that in Alaska too.

Pacific Eider and Common Eider are one in the same

Re: California Cinnamon Teal Trip [Re: coondagger2] #7753671
12/24/22 10:07 PM
12/24/22 10:07 PM
Interior Alaska
G
GUK Offline
trapper
GUK  Offline
trapper
G

Interior Alaska
Does that make the Aleutian green wing teal and a regular green wing teal the same? Aleutian teal and Pacific eiders are colored differently than the common variety. They may be the “same” but they are different.

Re: California Cinnamon Teal Trip [Re: GUK] #7753673
12/24/22 10:10 PM
12/24/22 10:10 PM
C
coondagger2 Offline OP
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline OP
"Brat"
C

Originally Posted by GUK
Does that make the Aleutian green wing teal and a regular green wing teal the same? Aleutian teal and Pacific eiders are colored differently than the common variety. They may be the “same” but they are different.

The Aleutian teal are recognized as different and not included in the 41, I don’t make the rules grin

I’m certainly not going to turn down the opportunity to shoot a common Eider in Alaska labeled as a pacific.

Just like I won’t turn down the opportunity to shoot pacific Brant even though I’ve shot Atlantic Brant

Re: California Cinnamon Teal Trip [Re: coondagger2] #7753677
12/24/22 10:16 PM
12/24/22 10:16 PM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
I'll admit it, I don't know my ducks. But when I was guiding caribou hunts on Adak Island (far west Aleutians) I had several hunters who would go shoot some ducks; Lots of harlequins, teal, etc..

After one of my hunters got home to California he called me all exited; his taxidermist informed him that a couple of the ducks he shot were some sort of Asian teal. I guess other Asiatic ducks make their way to Adak also.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: California Cinnamon Teal Trip [Re: coondagger2] #7753701
12/24/22 10:45 PM
12/24/22 10:45 PM
Interior Alaska
G
GUK Offline
trapper
GUK  Offline
trapper
G

Interior Alaska
I have shot Eurasian widgeon and tufted ducks on Adak. I saw some diver ducks I could not identify. Still not sure what they were. Definitely a mixing area of Asian birds.
Coondagger be sure to apply for an Emperor Goose Non-resident permit. Alaska drawing permits . Only 25 non Res permits a year, but what a dream bird. If you ever want to do a DIY hunt for Alaska waterfowl PM me. I have done it all. I can point you in the right direction on maybe even set you up for a good hunt.

Re: California Cinnamon Teal Trip [Re: GUK] #7753709
12/24/22 10:52 PM
12/24/22 10:52 PM
C
coondagger2 Offline OP
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline OP
"Brat"
C

Originally Posted by GUK
I have shot Eurasian widgeon and tufted ducks on Adak. I saw some diver ducks I could not identify. Still not sure what they were. Definitely a mixing area of Asian birds.
Coondagger be sure to apply for an Emperor Goose Non-resident permit. Alaska drawing permits . Only 25 non Res permits a year, but what a dream bird. If you ever want to do a DIY hunt for Alaska waterfowl PM me. I have done it all. I can point you in the right direction on maybe even set you up for a good hunt.

Thank you for the offer sir, I will shoot you a message!

I agree the emperor is definitely worth applying for, that is a gorgeous bird. A tufted duck is an awesome accomplishment, one I will probably never have a shot at. Congratulations on those birds!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread