Fur Handling Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

>
pcsoutdoors
(Please support PCS Outdoors, our sponsor for the Fur Handling Forum Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Fleshing a porcupine #7769880
01/12/23 02:16 PM
01/12/23 02:16 PM
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline OP
trapper
loosegoose  Offline OP
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE
Wifey and I are heading off on our porcupine hunt for the weekend. If we manage to bag one, what's a good way to go about fleshing it? I assume I can't just throw it over the beam and go to town on it, but I'd like to tan one.

Re: Fleshing a porcupine [Re: loosegoose] #7770016
01/12/23 04:27 PM
01/12/23 04:27 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
If I was going to do up a porcupine skin,I would skin it open,tack it on a board,and flesh it like you do beaver on a board.
I would also paste tan it on the board.
If you handle it any other way you are going to be getting stuck with loose quills that will find their way into stuff for weeks.

Even afterjust skinning,you will find some quills(especially the little ones) finding their way into your skin off and on for a while.

Last edited by Boco; 01/12/23 04:29 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Fleshing a porcupine [Re: loosegoose] #7774809
01/17/23 04:23 PM
01/17/23 04:23 PM
Wyoming
wytex Offline
trapper
wytex  Offline
trapper

Wyoming
Who will you use to tan it?
Moyle will not tan porcupines, I asked them this year.

Re: Fleshing a porcupine [Re: Boco] #7775515
01/18/23 12:15 PM
01/18/23 12:15 PM
Pennsylvania
P
patrapperbuster Offline
trapper
patrapperbuster  Offline
trapper
P

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by Boco
If I was going to do up a porcupine skin,I would skin it open,tack it on a board,and flesh it like you do beaver on a board.
I would also paste tan it on the board.
If you handle it any other way you are going to be getting stuck with loose quills that will find their way into stuff for weeks.

Even afterjust skinning,you will find some quills(especially the little ones) finding their way into your skin off and on for a while.

THIS.

I have tanned a couple porcupines for friends using the orange bottle stuff.
A few modifications to their directions though.
Skin open, lay flat on table skin up, flesh the best you can. I use a scalpel. You can use a beaver knife.
Now salt heavily with non iodized salt. Rub in best you can. Fold hide skin to skin and let set for 24 hours.
Now carefully wash/soak hide in room temp water in 5 gallon bucket just long enough to get salt off. Just 5 minutes or so.
Then wash/soak hide in 5 gal bucket of soapy water (Dawn dish soap) just 5 minutes to help clean & de-grease a bit more.
Then wash in clean water one more time. Hang hide by nose to drain & dry for awhile. I let it hang for a few hours with a fan on it.
Lay hide back on table skin side up.
Warm orange bottle of tanning solution per directions & apply tanning liquid to skin. Fold skin to skin & let set for 12 hours.
After 12 hrs open skin to air and let dry. This will take about a week. You will NOT be breaking down the skin to soften. It will be a wall mount tan only.
(When you open skin to air dry you will want to tack it to a board into shape you desire)

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread