No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
The Story of a Guided Hunting Trip Gone Wrong #7781019
01/24/23 10:42 AM
01/24/23 10:42 AM
NC - Here there and everywhere
C
coondagger2 Offline OP
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline OP
"Brat"
C

Figured you all would get a kick out of this. It wasn't funny to me while I was going through it, but now I can look back and laugh

Last week I spent some time in South Florida crossing some more ducks off of the bucket list. I have a friend down there and I hunted with him most of the week. The plan was to hunt with him 4 days and then take a guide trip for 3 days. I don't ever do guided hunts because I'm perfectly able of killing ducks on my own, but in this case I was going after a duck that can be near impossible to track down so I needed the knowledge of a guide that kills them daily. The duck is a fulvous whistling duck.

So I hunt 4 days with my friend and we do great. I shoot my first mottled ducks and black belly whistling ducks, two species I had never shot. Also shot a pile of teal. Just really had a great time.

Then comes time for the guide trip. This guide came highly recommended for fulvous and is the only guide around killing them consistently. Many many positive reviews from across the country. I text him Thursday and ask for the address to the lodge (lodging included in cost of the trip). He responds and says just stay in the guest bedroom at his house because we were going to be driving a little bit and I could ride with him to save fuel. Perfect, no problem. I arrive Thursday night and carry my things in, nice place, everything is good. We wake up to hunt Friday morning and drive to a small public lake. The lake has a dike that separates it from a WMA that is draw permit only and hunted 1 day a week. He pulls the boat onto the edge of the dike and we sit there. He claims this is the flight path they take and it could happen at any time. We sit there from day light until dark with no fulvous flying over.

The next day the game plan is the same, except today the WMA next to us is being hunted, so theoretically they should be flying. We sit there until lunch time with no shots fired and no fulvous in range. He says lets pull the boat out and go to another spot. Sounds great to me. Next spot is very similar, but on the other side of this dike there is a no hunting safety area. We get there and see fulvous on the other side of the dike. We sit there for 30 minutes or so and he says okay, lets go shoot one. Yes, he meant off of the no hunting area....I declined and we waited until dark and none flew over. On the ride home I'm told that he and his girlfriend broke up the night before, and she has put all of our things on the back porch. My stuff and his stuff. We get to the house and my bag is out there, but several things were still inside. My phone charger, boots, shower stuff etc. The kicker is all of my ducks from earlier in the week were in the freezer in the house....

The girl is gone and she has locked the place up and thrown out the hide-a-keys. She has blocked him on her phone, so he gives me her number and I text her asking to let me in to get my stuff. She blocks me too.

At this point I ask what the plan is for tomorrow. With a straight face, being completely serious he says we are going to take a suppressed 22 and shoot a fulvous off of the safety no hunting area. But if the game warden comes, he tells me to throw the suppressor in the lake because it is not legal. He says after I shoot I have to run as fast as possible to get the duck, but it is deep so I will have to swim, and then run back to get the boat so we can get out of dodge. After determining he wasn't joking, I told him to cancel the rest of my trip and get my stuff out of the house, I'm going home. I have no interest in shooting a duck off of a no hunting area with a 22. That's like shooting a buck at night with a spotlight. If I can't do it the right way I won't do it at all.

So I leave to go find a hotel room while he is trying to get in touch with her through friends. I go to 4 hotels before I find one with anything open and the only open room is a suite at the Holiday Inn. $254 later I had somewhere to stay the night. This is about 9pm by the time I get in the hotel room.

I call him a couple times an hour until almost 2am when he calls me and says he got my stuff. I got my ducks, slept a few hours, and then drove back home to NC.

The moral of the story is that if you are hiring a guide ask the tough questions before booking. Don't just ask about what they have been killing or what their success rate is. Ask about how they are killing the birds they are killing. If their results are too good to be true, they probably are

Gotta live up to the nickname...
Re: The Story of a Guided Hunting Trip Gone Wrong [Re: coondagger2] #7781023
01/24/23 10:52 AM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
Sorry this happened. I think I would of broke into the house and got my stuff...

Money sure can bring out the worst in people, atleast you didn't drown trying to retrieve an illegally shot duck.

Re: The Story of a Guided Hunting Trip Gone Wrong [Re: coondagger2] #7781024
La.
G
Gator Foot Offline
trapper
Gator Foot  Offline
trapper
G

La.
It won’t be long before he is caught!! I’m glad you weren’t with him when the shoe falls!!!

Re: The Story of a Guided Hunting Trip Gone Wrong [Re: Gator Foot] #7781026
01/24/23 10:53 AM
01/24/23 10:53 AM
C
coondagger2 Offline OP
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline OP
"Brat"
C

Originally Posted by Gator Foot
It won’t be long before he is caught!! I’m glad you weren’t with him when the shoe falls!!!

He and 5 clients were ticketed last season. Found that out from him, never came up in conversation with any of his previous clients that recommended him

Re: The Story of a Guided Hunting Trip Gone Wrong [Re: coondagger2] #7781027
01/24/23 10:55 AM
01/24/23 10:55 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Online content
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Online Content
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
The really amazing thing to me is that a guide would risk his license to poach ducks with somebody he doesn't know. I wonder why he didnt train a dog to go in there and flush the birds to see if one would fly over you? he could do that without the hunter ever being any wiser. maybe his girlfriend was the dog handler?

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: The Story of a Guided Hunting Trip Gone Wrong [Re: danny clifton] #7781030
01/24/23 10:57 AM
01/24/23 10:57 AM
C
coondagger2 Offline OP
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline OP
"Brat"
C

Originally Posted by danny clifton
The really amazing thing to me is that a guide would risk his license to poach ducks with somebody he doesn't know. I wonder why he didnt train a dog to go in there and flush the birds to see if one would fly over you? he could do that without the hunter ever being any wiser. maybe his girlfriend was the dog handler?

Because 13 foot long alligators are very common there. A dog would make a nice snack

Re: The Story of a Guided Hunting Trip Gone Wrong [Re: coondagger2] #7781032
01/24/23 10:59 AM
01/24/23 10:59 AM
Sumner, Mo.
C
claycreech Offline
trapper
claycreech  Offline
trapper
C

Sumner, Mo.
That sounds like a disaster.
It’s amazing what a man will do for a duck. I know. I’m an addict as well. Not a life lister or whatever, just like to chase them.

Re: The Story of a Guided Hunting Trip Gone Wrong [Re: coondagger2] #7781042
01/24/23 11:16 AM
01/24/23 11:16 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Sorry that happened to you!

I quit chasing ducks in 86' when a friend our boat shot and sunk a beaver.

I've been a Beaver addict ever since that day. With Traps.

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: The Story of a Guided Hunting Trip Gone Wrong [Re: coondagger2] #7781047
01/24/23 11:25 AM
Coldspring Texas
Savell Offline
"Wilbur"
Savell  Offline
"Wilbur"

Coldspring Texas
Lol ... thats great

Insert profound nonsense here
Re: The Story of a Guided Hunting Trip Gone Wrong [Re: coondagger2] #7781049
idaho
G
grumpa Offline
trapper
grumpa  Offline
trapper
G

idaho
I've only been on a few guided hunts, but bit sounds like just about every one of them. Most guides speak with forked tongue.

Re: The Story of a Guided Hunting Trip Gone Wrong [Re: coondagger2] #7781061
01/24/23 11:40 AM
01/24/23 11:40 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by coondagger2
Originally Posted by danny clifton

Because 13 foot long alligators are very common there. A dog would make a nice snack

But he wants you to swim out there for a duck???...
It is a funny story if it's not you it happened too. I'm glad u can laugh about it now, I'm not sure I could yet.
I know several locals that have or do guide deer hunters around here and let's just say I can't believe anyone would pay them to take them hunting. I'm sure there are some great guides out there but I've seen plenty that are more interested in getting the $ than providing a good hunt. I'm guessing a lot of out of staters just don't know what a quality hunt is like in an area they have never hunted....???

Re: The Story of a Guided Hunting Trip Gone Wrong [Re: coondagger2] #7781066
01/24/23 11:43 AM
01/24/23 11:43 AM
ohio
T
tomahawker Offline
trapper
tomahawker  Offline
trapper
T

ohio
This a fantastic hunting story! Big shout out

Re: The Story of a Guided Hunting Trip Gone Wrong [Re: coondagger2] #7781070
01/24/23 11:45 AM
01/24/23 11:45 AM
williamsburg ks
D
"Grumpy Old Man"
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I worked for a guide some when I was young. Elk deer bear and lion. i came away with a different view. Some of the hunters were just that. a lot were just spoiled from childhood on. Really thought they were special. I don't have the personality for it. Things have changed a lot since then. lots of people can afford a guided hunt now. People didnt have as much play money back then.

FWIW guy I worked for was strict about obeying the law. Biggest problem were the guys that wanted you to shoot for them. They just wanted the "trophy" to brag on. My employer said shooting for them caused more loss of business than not. Said no way the guy you shot that elk for ever wanted his buddies to meet you and find out he didnt do the shooting. Then there were the guys that did not hire a guide but would buy a deer. Didnt have to be bragging size. Buddies were with them. They were drinking and - and need a couple deer so their wives wouldn't catch on.

takes all kinds to make a world I guess

I like knowing when I hunt or trap I did it myself. Success or failure.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: The Story of a Guided Hunting Trip Gone Wrong [Re: coondagger2] #7781079
01/24/23 11:49 AM
01/24/23 11:49 AM
williamsburg ks
D
"Grumpy Old Man"
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
coondagger2, I suspect your enough of an outdoorsman to watch those ducks when you get a chance, find your own legal strategy

Re: The Story of a Guided Hunting Trip Gone Wrong [Re: coondagger2] #7781081
01/24/23 11:50 AM
01/24/23 11:50 AM
C
coondagger2 Offline OP
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline OP
"Brat"
C

I agree Danny. I hunted with 2 of their other clients on Saturday. It was clear these guys had never been on a hunt in their life that wasn't guided. They were all for shooting one with a 22. The majority of people paying for a guided hunt do not care one bit about how they get the animal they are after. They just want the trophy. I am not one of those people, but it's clear that the majority of his clients must be that way

If I draw a permit I am headed back this weekend. Already have it figured out on how I can legally kill one just need to draw a leftover permit

Re: The Story of a Guided Hunting Trip Gone Wrong [Re: coondagger2] #7781176
01/24/23 02:16 PM
01/24/23 02:16 PM
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Offline
trapper
EdP  Offline
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia
Sounds like the GF made a good choice dumping his sorry butt.

Re: The Story of a Guided Hunting Trip Gone Wrong [Re: coondagger2] #7781184
01/24/23 02:34 PM
01/24/23 02:34 PM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline
trapper
yukon254  Offline
trapper
Y

Yukon
Originally Posted by coondagger2
I agree Danny. I hunted with 2 of their other clients on Saturday. It was clear these guys had never been on a hunt in their life that wasn't guided. They were all for shooting one with a 22. The majority of people paying for a guided hunt do not care one bit about how they get the animal they are after. They just want the trophy. I am not one of those people, but it's clear that the majority of his clients must be that way

If I draw a permit I am headed back this weekend. Already have it figured out on how I can legally kill one just need to draw a leftover permit

Not true. I've been guiding hunters for 35 years now, and unethical hunters are rare. They do exist but they are rare. Sorry you got stuck with a bum. Hopefully you went right to the closest fish and game office and reported him.

I've always advised guys looking to book a hunt to forget about references. Its a waste of your time. They can easily be faked.

do unto others as you would have them do unto you

www.grizzlycreeklodge.com
Re: The Story of a Guided Hunting Trip Gone Wrong [Re: coondagger2] #7781186
01/24/23 02:37 PM
01/24/23 02:37 PM
USA-WI
K
Kre Offline
trapper
Kre  Offline
trapper
K

USA-WI
Did you consider calling the game warden?

Re: The Story of a Guided Hunting Trip Gone Wrong [Re: coondagger2] #7781231
01/24/23 03:49 PM
01/24/23 03:49 PM
C
coondagger2 Offline OP
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline OP
"Brat"
C

I have considered calling the game warden. We were actually checked the first night of hunting. No tickets but the game warden asked lots of questions and even pulled me aside and asked questions to me directly while the guide loaded the boat.

Calling the game warden and telling him this story would not change anything, he would have to catch him in the act to ticket him. With only a couple days left of duck season it is probably a moot point

Re: The Story of a Guided Hunting Trip Gone Wrong [Re: Kre] #7781235
01/24/23 03:57 PM
01/24/23 03:57 PM
Oklahoma
M
Matt28 Offline
trapper
Matt28  Offline
trapper
M

Oklahoma
Originally Posted by Kre
Did you consider calling the game warden?

I was wait on some one to ask this question. I bet the Florida game commission gets quite a few calls because of this post.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread