No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: The Story of a Guided Hunting Trip Gone Wrong [Re: danny clifton] #7781620
01/24/23 11:26 PM
01/24/23 11:26 PM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
Originally Posted by danny clifton
I worked for a guide some when I was young. Elk deer bear and lion. i came away with a different view. Some of the hunters were just that. a lot were just spoiled from childhood on. Really thought they were special. I don't have the personality for it. Things have changed a lot since then. lots of people can afford a guided hunt now. People didnt have as much play money back then.

FWIW guy I worked for was strict about obeying the law. Biggest problem were the guys that wanted you to shoot for them. They just wanted the "trophy" to brag on. My employer said shooting for them caused more loss of business than not. Said no way the guy you shot that elk for ever wanted his buddies to meet you and find out he didnt do the shooting. Then there were the guys that did not hire a guide but would buy a deer. Didnt have to be bragging size. Buddies were with them. They were drinking and - and need a couple deer so their wives wouldn't catch on.

takes all kinds to make a world I guess

I like knowing when I hunt or trap I did it myself. Success or failure.

I've worked as a guide for years. I learned real quick the hunters you want are the upper working class guys. The union workers, small business owners, cops, etc. The guys who have to work for their money and save up for the trip. They tend to be more focused on the hunt rather than simply taking home the trophy. They are (as a general rule, there are always exceptions) much better to deal with than the entitled rich guys, and they usually tip better also.

It always amazes me the guides/outfitters who will do blatantly illegal stuff with full knowledge of the clients. It is well known that practically every state has either undercover Fish and Game officers book hunts and attempt to get the guide to do or tell them to do something illegal; or offers incentives to private individuals that book hunts to do the same.

Re: The Story of a Guided Hunting Trip Gone Wrong [Re: coondagger2] #7781716
01/25/23 03:32 AM
01/25/23 03:32 AM
illinois
J
jalstat Offline
trapper
jalstat  Offline
trapper
J

illinois
Don't hesitate to talk to the warden as these investigations sometimes go on for over a year before they drop the hammer . My cousin has one going on right now with an outfitter trespassing and baiting on him and this is over one year into the matter at hand.

Re: The Story of a Guided Hunting Trip Gone Wrong [Re: Tray] #7781873
01/25/23 09:42 AM
01/25/23 09:42 AM
NC - Here there and everywhere
C
coondagger2 Offline OP
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline OP
"Brat"
C

Originally Posted by Tray
Hopefully you get your duck someday! At least for now you have a good story to tell, and it might be a better memory than when you actually kill your duck.
Isn’t there some places in Texas that they target the Fulverous?

I'm not aware of anywhere in Texas with a huntable population of them, but I could be missing out.

Heck, the place to go would be mexico, but I want to shoot my 41 in the US

Gotta live up to the nickname...
Re: The Story of a Guided Hunting Trip Gone Wrong [Re: coondagger2] #7781896
01/25/23 09:57 AM
01/25/23 09:57 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Lot of things you can get in Mexico easier..... Savell would be a good guide too

Re: The Story of a Guided Hunting Trip Gone Wrong [Re: coondagger2] #7781899
01/25/23 09:59 AM
01/25/23 09:59 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted by coondagger2
Hopefully you get your duck someday! At least for now you have a good story to tell, and it might be a better memory than when you actually kill your duck.

I'm not aware of anywhere in Texas with a huntable population of them, but I could be missing out.

This place says they get them.... occasionally. https://www.getducks.com/ushunts/texas-duck-hunting-gulf-coast-redheads/

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: The Story of a Guided Hunting Trip Gone Wrong [Re: coondagger2] #7781934
01/25/23 10:21 AM
01/25/23 10:21 AM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
So,,the night you showed up,,him and his girlfriend broke up?What did you do to make that happen? LOL laugh

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: The Story of a Guided Hunting Trip Gone Wrong [Re: upstateNY] #7781943
01/25/23 10:29 AM
01/25/23 10:29 AM
C
coondagger2 Offline OP
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline OP
"Brat"
C

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
This place says they get them.... occasionally. https://www.getducks.com/ushunts/texas-duck-hunting-gulf-coast-redheads/

I've hunted the Texas coast around Laguna Madre and Corpus for the last 8 years or so and I haven't ever seen one there. Black bellies yes but never fulvous. Thank you for the help though! I'm sure there are a couple here and there but I'm not sure if there are enough to plan a trip specifically for them. I know exactly where I need to be in Florida but unfortunately I didn't get drawn for a permit in that place this weekend

Originally Posted by upstateNY
So,,the night you showed up,,him and his girlfriend broke up?What did you do to make that happen? LOL laugh

The next night after I showed up they broke up, I'm not sure what happened grin

Re: The Story of a Guided Hunting Trip Gone Wrong [Re: coondagger2] #7782018
01/25/23 12:48 PM
01/25/23 12:48 PM
SD
T
Tray Offline
"Wilson Jr."
Tray  Offline
"Wilson Jr."
T

SD
Originally Posted by coondagger2

I’ve known guys to harvest them in Texas but it must be mostly accidental, I just checked thru a bunch of Texas birding records and while they breed in Texas and are seen somewhat regularly all summer there are only a handful of winter sightings every year. Those birds must migrate to Mexico.

Re: The Story of a Guided Hunting Trip Gone Wrong [Re: Tray] #7782020
01/25/23 12:53 PM
01/25/23 12:53 PM
C
coondagger2 Offline OP
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline OP
"Brat"
C

I’ve known guys to harvest them in Texas but it must be mostly accidental, I just checked thru a bunch of Texas birding records and while they breed in Texas and are seen somewhat regularly all summer there are only a handful of winter sightings every year. Those birds must migrate to Mexico.

I'm sure they do. I know they kill them by the truckload in Mexico.

There is definitely a huntable population in Florida, but you will not find them in heavily trafficked/hunted areas. They are smart. I was sent a pin for a spot with hundreds of fulvous on it in an STA. Just couldn't draw a permit for this weekend. I applied and also got my fiance to apply with her account and we both went 0 for 3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread