ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Deepest skunk burrow #7817314
03/10/23 08:05 AM
03/10/23 08:05 AM
Catskills, New York
ToCatchAPredator Offline OP
trapper
ToCatchAPredator  Offline OP
trapper

Catskills, New York
In your experience how deep is deep?

Just finished up a week at a customer with a skunk complaint. Den right under the back porch and one under the shed. Caught the female under the shed on night 4.

Doing the repairs and under the porch I dug down, laid down stone to prevent digging and exposed this 10 ft long tunnel that goes under a crawl space under the sun room in the back of the house. I tore everything out of the crawl space and confirmed there wasn’t anything in there and starting from under the crawl space I collapsed the tunnel to ensure nothing was in there.

Just curious what you guys have seen is a far tunnel, this was a little over 10 ft and 2 ft down at its deepest and hugged right along the side of the foundation so I’m sure that’s what made the digging easy.

Last edited by ToCatchAPredator; 03/10/23 08:07 AM.
Re: Deepest skunk burrow [Re: ToCatchAPredator] #7817758
03/10/23 06:56 PM
03/10/23 06:56 PM
Killingly, CT
Brian Mongeau Offline
trapper
Brian Mongeau  Offline
trapper

Killingly, CT
Never felt a need to dig one out. I exclude the outer perimeter.

Re: Deepest skunk burrow [Re: ToCatchAPredator] #7818855
03/12/23 09:29 AM
03/12/23 09:29 AM
Catskills, New York
ToCatchAPredator Offline OP
trapper
ToCatchAPredator  Offline OP
trapper

Catskills, New York
The last night I closed one door to the 2 door cage and put preserved fish in the trap and the day I did the repairs one of the smaller fish was gone. So I tore the crawl space apart to check to see if there was another skunk under there and when I confirmed it wasn’t in the crawl space I wanted to confirm it wasn’t holding out in the tunnel since it was so long. I figured the best way to confirm since my telescopic camera wouldn’t reach that far that I had to collapse it to confirm. There is evidence of smaller rodent tunnels so it could possibly be a red squirrel or moles that took that small fish by the entry of the trap but I had to confirm for the owner it wasn’t down there still

Last edited by ToCatchAPredator; 03/12/23 09:31 AM.
Re: Deepest skunk burrow [Re: ToCatchAPredator] #7819091
03/12/23 03:01 PM
03/12/23 03:01 PM
Northern Illinois
M
MChewk Offline
trapper
MChewk  Offline
trapper
M

Northern Illinois
Had an old muskrat den that measured 30 ft. The den hole was an old dry entrance that ran from waters edge up toward an old gas lineup into the client's yard. He called me after gas co. ran into accidently. Had caught 'rats out the area for years. Pond dried up a bit and the skunks moved in.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread